Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+16
Top Cat
GARAGE
HTAFC Away Travel
crowbar6753
CCOB
Surplus
TheNeil29
TheNeil30
Chips97
paulstreet
A1 drifter
wootontommy
j2021
trevdee
rangerider
Townfan
20 posters

Released / Retained List 2015-16 season

TheNeil29

Released / Retained List 2015-16 season - Page 4 Empty Re: Released / Retained List 2015-16 season

Post by TheNeil29 Wed May 25, 2016 3:24 am

I think we should be aiming to get Tom Denton and Lewis Walters in on 2 yr contracts. These two would be fantastic additions. Add these to an inform Knowles, and with Brendan Daniels also contributing (if he re-signs). I would really fancy our chances of going up automatically.

wootontommy

Released / Retained List 2015-16 season - Page 4 Empty Re: Released / Retained List 2015-16 season

Post by wootontommy Wed May 25, 2016 7:03 am

Retained list is fine. Swain for me is a liability - too volatile and too inconsistent. Personally I like to watch more expansive football and would like to see it in the lower divisions much more often than I do. However, when we are entrenched in accepting 'hairy arsed ogres and old hands in the dark arts,' we'll continue to move forward like molasses. Youngsters have to learn their trade full stop. The likes of Fallowfield and Cadman will always offer energy and pace and are young enough to still want to play football. I wouldn't want them to become 'hairy arsed ogres etc..' Gascoigne looked like he needs more time to recover fully.
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Wed May 25, 2016 10:27 am

I am fairly pleased with the retained list. As much as I really liked Clayton as a player I feel we need some more consistent goalscorers in the team and Clayts and Thewlis were just not that. That area of the team let us down last season and it was mainly them two playing together. Knowles needs another chance this season as he could easily be the best forward in this league given time to get fit and the goals will come.

I would love it if we were able to retain Daniels also as that man saved us on the goal front last season! I'm guessing he will be waiting to see what offers he gets from the higher leagues. Splash the cash please Weaver! Very Happy

I would like to see us retain McWilliams also as I feel he played well at the start of last season and was unfairly moved out on loan. He would be our best option at left back unless Ben Parker is brought in Wink hint hint!!

I feel that Swain needs to be moved out as we need to have much better options in each position he can play. Not good enough defensively for a left back and also not skillful enough for a winger he runs in a straight line too often!

I would LOVE to see Lewis Walters sign for Town! Very Happy He is a super fast and powerful striker who would be guaranteed to absolutely tear our league apart!

As much as Denton is good at what he does everyone on here doesn't want us to play hoof ball! But you know what would happen if we signed him..!!
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Wed May 25, 2016 10:55 am

Beesley, Worrall ??????
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed May 25, 2016 11:02 am

No disrespect but Beesley is not as good as Thewlis or Clayton and they have both gone! I havn't seen enough of Worrall but he would seem to be the kind of young guy we should be keeping. Regular games for the Under 21's and a chance to break through.

Incidentally, on that subject, can the programme, website etc. next season keep us fully informed of the progress of our 'satellite' teams: under 21/19/17 and the Women's team. Would help to fill up the programme as well!
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Wed May 25, 2016 11:24 am

Each team should get their own page off a drop down menu where information can be added. This is vital in not only sharing information but also creating a unified team across the board.

With teams also training at the CNG would give fans the opportunity of watching 'open' sessions and having a pint and taking in a game on the big screen. Possibly stretch it to a bit of food being laid on if the clientele can be built up to be financially viable.
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Wed May 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Just questioning why there was no mention of either Worrall or Beesley on the retained/released list. Both played for Town last season.
    boselecta

Post by boselecta Wed May 25, 2016 5:30 pm

We seem very strong in certain areas and very weak in others .Yet I'm pretty sure SW will no doubt be doing his home work on potential signings.With Jordan and Clayt's gone, it will be very interesting on the striking front to see who coming in?
    With McWilliams going and Louie not consistent enough,a left back looks a must.There again if Brendon fails to agree terms we are looking very exposed all down the left side...
    GARAGE

Post by GARAGE Wed May 25, 2016 8:59 pm

Daniels off to Fylde on 3 year deal
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Wed May 25, 2016 9:24 pm

Very surprised at that. New stadium, full time and linking up with Rowe. Obviously fylde aren't mucking about but surprised he's not been scouted higher. One of the only players that's had me hugging a complete stranger when he's scored. Best of luck to him.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed May 25, 2016 9:43 pm

Yes surprised he is staying in our league, Fylde must be splashing the cash! Can't blame him, but its sad, I kind of hoped he would stay. We now have virtually NO goalscorers 
    . Hope Simon is busy and Irving is feeling generous!
    boselecta

Post by boselecta Wed May 25, 2016 10:11 pm

Surplus wrote:Very surprised at that. New stadium, full time and linking up with Rowe. Obviously fylde aren't mucking about but surprised he's not been scouted higher. One of the only players that's had me hugging a complete stranger when he's scored. Best of luck to him.

Whilst there's no doubt Brendon had the best left leg ever seen at this level and his goals will be talked about for many years.Yes, there were lots of scouts down at the CNG week in week out watching him.IMO he was a fantastic player at his level but watching his all round game, work rate ,tracking back defending was it really up there in the Vardy mode.

Brendon, thanks for the memories ..oh yes, them thunder bolts were pretty good as well.
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Wed May 25, 2016 10:18 pm

Fylde to my mind are setting out a very big stall. That's both golden boots. They will be there or there about's at the end of the season and appear very determined to get out of this division.
    I'm really hoping SW has proven players in mind that will fit with the new surface and his tactical ideas.
    Also, Brendan put bums on seats so a loss on that front as well.

Need a big statement of intent from the club now and new heroes to believe in after the loss of Clayt's and Daniels.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed May 25, 2016 11:27 pm

Daniels is a massive loss. But I can't blame the guy for taking the opportunity to go back into full time football on a 3yr deal and a very good salary. More than what we could have offered him.

I really hope that Simon has a f*****g Dynamo or David Copperfield bag of tricks to replace 3 strikers, as well as strengthening the squad in other areas.

Now is the opportunity for the club to make real statements of intent to the rest of the teams in this division to show that we mean business and also the opportunity for Simon and Irving to keep proving that they really want to get the team up and out of this division.

TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed May 25, 2016 11:49 pm

Surplus wrote:Fylde to my mind are setting out a very big stall. That's both golden boots. They will be there or there about's at the end of the season and appear very determined to get out of this division.
    I'm really hoping SW has proven players in mind that will fit with the new surface and his tactical ideas.
    Also, Brendan put bums on seats so a loss on that front as well.

Need a big statement of intent from the club now and new heroes to believe in after the loss of Clayt's and Daniels.

Their Chairman has certainly put his money where his mouth is and certainly going for it. Nearly £20 million on the new build complex alone and turning AFC Fylde Full-Time. They now have the top scorers in the league now in Daniels and Rowe. 46 bloody goals between them last season (and thats just the league alone!!) and to add, an absolute top class manager retained in Dave Challinor.
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Thu May 26, 2016 6:19 am

Absolutely spot on Neil, that's without looking at Salford and FC Utd with their big fanbases, and the other teams strengthening. Going to be a tough season. Need to keep the feel good factor around the club and hope the fixture list is kind.

Really excited to see the signings we will have coming in and a lot of pressure on Knowles. Need cover in areas as well.
    GARAGE

Post by GARAGE Thu May 26, 2016 6:58 am

Some really memorable goals from Daniels but rarely broke sweat . Thats why he did not get picked up by a league club.He was not a team player and only played for himself. Wish him the best of luck but he needs to work on his game if he wants to do well. His temperament is suspect also as shown at the Tamworth game away when he could easily have been sent off.
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Thu May 26, 2016 7:39 am

We've announced the signing of Wayne Brooksby from North Ferriby and previously at Guiseley. Sounds like a quick replacement for Brendon a quick winger which is what we needed. Scored in the play-off final for North Ferriby!
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu May 26, 2016 10:51 am

Ainge and Brooksby are clearly both good players, but neither of them has got me overly excited for next season yet. Lets hope the next few signings have a bit of 'magic' about them.

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2016 11:46 am

Agree with that Paul, especially in the context of Daniels going to our rivals. No doubt they will get a fee for him in the coming seasons, a major shame we could not have extended his contract last winter when it was apparent how much of a role Daniels was having in driving the team into the play offs. Surely a financial gamble that would have ended in us receiving a transfer fee for him now?

Puts even more onus on us signing some players up front who will actually score goals now. Underwhelming start to proceedings thus far. Let's hope that the pitch will not be our major news and signing this summer, if it is we will be in for a very tough season indeed in the context of the other teams likely to be competing next season.

Still early days obviously but we have lost a player who created special moments and a reason for people to be returning to Wetherby Road. Will be a big ask to replace him and hopefully the club will not lose sight of players and on the pitch performances being by far the most important ingredient in attracting a growing fanbase season after season.

On a side note, does this move, in the context of Fylde having sniffed round him in the winter and his subsequent and very surprising below par performance in the play off leave a bit of a sour taste? Surely negotiations and intent of interest is known to players before the end of a season #justsaying
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Thu May 26, 2016 12:18 pm

I see that Salford City have signed Michael Nottingham the Solihull 6ft 4inch defender from Solihull someone we should have tried to signed, i think it will be a hard season ahead
    TheNeil30

Post by TheNeil30 Thu May 26, 2016 12:34 pm

rangerider wrote:I see that Salford City have signed Michael Nottingham the Solihull 6ft 4inch defender from Solihull someone we should have tried to signed, i think it will be a hard season ahead

We have arguably the best defense in the league with Ellis, Shiels and now Ainge. Don't think we need to be concentrating on that area.
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Thu May 26, 2016 12:59 pm

Rather gutted about Daniels going, we should have maybe done more to keep him or at least would have preferred him to go to a club higher up the pyramid Shocked Shocked

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Thu May 26, 2016 1:25 pm

I've got to say I didn't think Daniels would leave us for someone in the same league! :/ but I guess Fylde will have offered him loads especially with it being a 3 year deal that's barely heard of at this level!

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2016 1:35 pm

Chips97 wrote:I've got to say I didn't think Daniels would leave us for someone in the same league! :/ but I guess Fylde will have offered him loads especially with it being a 3 year deal that's barely heard of at this level!

Yep same feeling here - as you say though, a 3 year full time deal swung it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:47 pm