Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+6
town supporter
TheNeil29
Innocent Bystander
ultimate warrior
CCOB
wetherby58
10 posters

Retained List - Thoughts

Innocent Bystander

Retained List - Thoughts Empty Retained List - Thoughts

Post by Innocent Bystander Thu May 14, 2015 8:27 am

Here are the retained players

Peter Crook

Luke Shiels

Dave McGurk

Lewis Turner

Ryan Fallowfield

Cecil Nyoni

Louie Swain

Andrew Gascoigne

Jack Emmett

Matt Bloomer

James Cadman

Jordan Thewlis

Paul Clayton

Players on contract

Lloyd Kerry

Jake Speight

Players invited back to pre-season training.

Ashley Worsfold

Harry Coates
    [/list]

I am relieved that Peter Crook has signed a contract and the core of younger players who did so well post Xmas are with us. Fingers crossed that Andy G and Ashley W can fire when the new season starts!
    wetherby58

Retained List - Thoughts Empty Re: Retained List - Thoughts

Post by wetherby58 Thu May 14, 2015 8:34 am

No real surprises for me,although I might have given Franks another shot...only one there that shouldn't be is Speight

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2015 9:06 am

On a two year contract unfortunately albeit I doubt we will see him in a town shirt again.

Surprised by franks but think it is the right decision.

Like the look of caiman so happy with that.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu May 14, 2015 9:30 am

Yes, no real surprises as everyone has said. Franks I guess the only minor surprise, rather liked him myself. Can't really say I have seen enough of Cadman to make a judgement. Really hope that Kerry can force his way back in, mind you midfield looks rather crowded! Matt Bloomer goes on and on (and deservedly so). Great that Peter Crook is staying. I think we all agree about Speight!
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Thu May 14, 2015 10:34 am

No mention of Matt Heath who was on loan at Railway last season I believe.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu May 14, 2015 12:15 pm

Simon has made some really sound decisions here. The only released ones i'm disappointed about is Killock & Walshaw.

On the retained list, the spot on right decisions have been made here. Simon needs a pat on the back for keeping some of these young talents.

On the contracted list. Speight needs to be sent back out on loan, and Kerry deserves a chance next season. He is real class, but just needs consistency.

On the pre-season invite list. Worsfold and Coates need to move on as there are better options out there.

Apart from Walshaw and Killock, I am happy with this. The most important thing for next season is a prolific Striker. That has to be No. 1 priority.
    ultimate warrior
    ultimate warrior

Post by ultimate warrior Thu May 14, 2015 12:53 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:Simon has made some really sound decisions here. The only released ones i'm disappointed about is Killock & Walshaw.

On the retained list, the spot on right decisions have been made here. Simon needs a pat on the back for keeping some of these young talents.

On the contracted list. Speight needs to be sent back out on loan, and Kerry deserves a chance next season. He is real class, but just needs consistency.

On the pre-season invite list. Worsfold and Coates need to move on as there are better options out there.

Apart from Walshaw and Killock, I am happy with this. The most important thing for next season is a prolific Striker. That has to be No. 1 priority.

So who is the prolific striker we should go for any suggestions anyone?
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu May 14, 2015 1:01 pm

It's a difficult one, because we have just let one of the best non-league strikers go. Honestly, I dont have a clue.
    town supporter

Post by town supporter Thu May 14, 2015 1:07 pm

ultimate warrior wrote:
    TheNeil29 wrote:Simon has made some really sound decisions here. The only released ones i'm disappointed about is Killock & Walshaw.

So who is the prolific striker we should go for any suggestions anyone?

I've been told that James Walshaw is quite good ...
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Thu May 14, 2015 1:22 pm

News from North Ferriby:

Staying: Liam King, Russell Fry, Danny Hone, Adam Nicklin, Josh Wilde, Tom Denton, Adam Bolder, Danny Clarke, Mark Gray, Ryan Kendall, Curtis Bateson, Danny Emerton, Tom Nicholson, Louis Bruce and Tim Taylor.

Going: Nathan Jarman, Matt Wilson, Nathan Peat, Gregg Anderson and Jonathan D’Laryea.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu May 14, 2015 2:57 pm

Im hoping Simon stays away from them, especially Jarman. He's just a mercenary who is out for the money. If my knowledge is right, we made him a good offer, but he chose Ferriby. I hope we stay away from him.
    town supporter

Post by town supporter Thu May 14, 2015 5:54 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:Im hoping Simon stays away from them, especially Jarman. He's just a mercenary who is out for the money. If my knowledge is right, we made him a good offer, but he chose Ferriby. I hope we stay away from him.

That's correct,  Neil - Irving confirmed this at the first fans forum session. Sounds like Jarman played town and Ferriby off against each other in order to get the best possible deal for himself. Good player though.

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Disappointed that Adam has gone. Local lad who was always a sound chat on night in town. Inevitable tho after his old man's departure. Shame on both counts, especially when Speight is still around albeit due to his contract.

Money no object signings Bradley Goldberg and Omar Bogle. Failing that would be great to see some emerging talent from local leagues given trials.
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Thu May 14, 2015 9:50 pm

How about Danny Rowe of Fylde - scored a hat trick against us and I think was second or third highest scorer in the league.
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Thu May 14, 2015 9:50 pm

How about Danny Rowe of Fylde - scored a hat trick against us and I think was second or third highest scorer in the league.

Post by Guest Fri May 15, 2015 7:22 am

I have heard that we are in talks with Joe Colbeck from BPA. Pacy right winger who likes to take players on. Sounds very similar to Emmett.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Fri May 15, 2015 7:30 am

There is no way on this planet Bradley Goldberg will come and play for us. I dont think he would drop from League 2 (Currently at Dag & Red) and move up North (unless a loan deal was available)

Danny Rowe is first choice at Fylde (26 goals this season in the league alone, 4th best CN goalscorer). Can't see him swopping a team that is pushing for promotion to a team that cant even reach the playoffs.

Omar Bogle is a very good option (Top CN scorer with 29 league goals) but commuting would be an issue for him. Just like it was for previous Brummie based players.

And just to add insult to injury, the 2 we let slip through our grasp:

Dayle Southwell is at Boston (Can't believe we had him on loan) and was the 2nd top CN goalscorer (28 goals). The same applies to Adi Yussuf (3rd top CN) goalscorer (27 goals). 55 League goals alone between them alone. I dont think the whole squad scored more than that all season in all competitions.

The only strikers I really think that would give us a second look are Tom Denton, Chib Chilaka and James Dean. But knowing our luck, he will probably re-sign someone like Paul Beesley.

Unless Simon gets lucky and pulls a nugget out of the Northern Premier League, or gets a player on a season loan from one of the big Yorkshire, Lancashire teams who bangs them in for fun, I can see goals being a problem again this season.

This is the area that needs to be addressed most importantly. I would be breaking the bank to bring in a real class Striker, now that Walshaw has gone.
    j2021

Post by j2021 Fri May 15, 2015 11:29 am

Nathan Jarman and powerful central defender Matt Wilson (released by North Ferriby) have just signed for Gainsborough Trinity.
    yorkiebar

Post by yorkiebar Fri May 15, 2015 2:56 pm

whats point of getting a good striker, if he,s anygood he will end up sitting on his backside
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Fri May 15, 2015 8:47 pm

Re. Northern League 'nuggets' (TheNeil above), 'Billy' Greulich - Smith of Shildon has scored 31 goals in 84 appearances for the Railwaymen and is described on their website as 'one of the hardest working forwards in the game' and 'one of the most dangerous forwards in the league in the air'. Just a thought if we are looking for lower league talent.

I do agree though that we must get some talented striker(s) if we are to compete in a very strong league next season.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sat May 16, 2015 11:40 am

Still think we could do a great deal worse than have Graeme Armstrong and Chib Chilaka as out 3rd and 4th striking options. (assuming we fail to sign a really 'big name' that is.) Both will get you at least 10 goals a season more or less guarenteed.
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Sat May 16, 2015 6:23 pm

Fully agree paul but I think Armstrong is well settled at Darlington forming a deadly strike partnership with Nathan Cartman. Darlo are on the way back up with a move to the town on the cards (they currently share with Bishop Auckland) so why would he leave? Also, I think travelling was a problem for him at Town due to work commitments. Great striker nevertheless, honest work rate and never missed a penalty for us.

To see Chib back would be very good but that's possibly just being sentimental. A great man.
    j2021

Post by j2021 Sun May 17, 2015 6:51 pm

Darlington liking our ex players. Just noticed they signed Robbie Youhill up for next season the other day.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:05 am