Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+14
Dark Knight
Chips97
BB
nztownfan
Innocent Bystander
Harry O
rangerider
nobby99
OllieRiley
paulstreet
TheNeil29
CCOB
trevdee
iand1957
18 posters

Simon Weaver is an incompetent manager

Simon Weaver is an incompetent manager - Page 2 Empty Re: Simon Weaver is an incompetent manager

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:23 pm

Innocent Bystander wrote:Can a part time club get players in for extra training? 2 hours on the pitch doing nothing but sharpening drills for shooting etc? I coach soccer (to a modest level) and hockey (to a very high level) - admittedly we are out there every afternoon during the week - but I would expect my strikers to have at least 100-150 shots in every main session.

Very interesting to look at the leg cadence of town players compared to (most) opposing teams - it is significantly slower

And town's non-selected players doing a perfunctory training session on the CNG paddock before the game was again in stark contrast to the sharpening exercises being done (under supervision) by the Barrow players.

There seems to be cultural difference in preparation between Town and many other Conference North clubs. At Town it seems "knowing your jobs" and "knowing the system" is more important than technical ability, pace, a freedom to express on the pitch and a driving desire to create and take chances.

It is all so frustrating! .... three (narrow) away defeats place us in the relegation zone .... and Saturday's home game against Oxford is now an absolute must win!

Every cloud .... a free car sticker with every match programme on Saturday!

Why are Town only producing one box of programmes each week? Lots of spectators missed their copy on Saturday and were none too happy about it.

Very interesting post about training methods IB. I’m no expert but I do recall under Aspin, he had the players competing in mini matches, some sharp sessions focussed on winning the ball back and an emphasis on one or two touches, moving the ball quickly. Generally, there was far more intensity to the pre-match warm ups though. It gave the impression (at least to me) that we weren’t a team to be messed with and knew exactly what we were doing.
    OllieRiley
    OllieRiley

Simon Weaver is an incompetent manager - Page 2 Empty Re: Simon Weaver is an incompetent manager

Post by OllieRiley Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:00 pm

Yes interesting - in the open training session that I watched, Town did about 5 mins of shooting practice at the end of the session. Most of it was just attacking against some static, yellow stick men which I don't think bares much resemblance to what happens on a Saturday afternoon!

If you only get two training sessions a week, then you have to make them intense. Half of these Harrogate players still aren't even fit! Town need to up their game. On the field and off it.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:51 pm

OllieRiley wrote:Yes interesting - in the open training session that I watched, Town did about 5 mins of shooting practice at the end of the session. Most of it was just attacking against some static, yellow stick men which I don't think bares much resemblance to what happens on a Saturday afternoon!

If you only get two training sessions a week, then you have to make them intense. Half of these Harrogate players still aren't even fit! Town need to up their game. On the field and off it.

the open training session wasnt the intense training session the players go through normally, it was more for giving something back to the fans who wanted to see the players before season start.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:14 pm

I do feel sorry for Simon - he has tried a new system, pitch even and what is going on on the pitch shouldn't mask what is going on off the pitch and the good work (Charlie apart) that is taking place.......at the end of the day the Town should be backing the club more....given how many supposed football fans there are in Harrogate.....or that should be more like fans of sky sports in the Alex, the plastic tools.

However, after so many seasons of repetition nothing has changed and we can now be seen as a club that is a plaything for father and son as opposed to a level playing field where accountability has to come into it.

Accountability that has to stretch to McDermott - he has the experience, what the heck is he bringing to the club? Very little from the looks of it.

Accountability to the players - it seems that the club has started to become a pleasant little season or two stop over where you get decent cash and can take the piss.....most notable example even just this season being a contracted striker who goes and plays in another match and gets injured leaving the club paying him for his mistake. If it wasn't authorised by the club - breach of contract, bye bye. Simple.
    The majority of them need a rocket on Saturday - all pretty much have played at a higher level and need their asses kicking from us as fans.......

Accountability of the fans - we need to step up and make it a team that knows when it is doing well but also they know they can't take the piss out of our club or Weaver Snr any longer.

That said - Simon has to bring someone else in to help or do the honourable thing and step down...yes we have not had the easiest of starts so next 3 or 4 games have to show that he can turn it around......if he doesn't and goes...this way at least we will see and prove how committed Weaver Snr is.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:06 pm

paulstreet wrote:Went to the match yesterday, and everything that Neil says is correct. I was near the away dug out the last 15 minutes or so and Simon looked genuinely lost, I almost felt sorry for him!  

Perhaps that is because his mate, McDermott, got sent to the stands.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:17 pm

the game was more even than most seem to be admitting on here, yesterdays match, for the most of it, we had alot of attacking play going on, yes, I think we are taking too long on our shots on goal in the penalty box and abit nervy to go for goal when the chances happen But for the most, and indeed all of the first half, we was the better team on the field, even with losing Turner so early on, Rowe coming on, he played a solid match throughout, we can't keep losing matches by 1 silly goal all the time thats for sure, and as much as I am repeating myself, but Kendall, Speight, Adam, Killock will be back very very soon, and Ash too at Christmas for a New Years boost too, and it was good to see Franks back playing, nearly getting the equaliser late on.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:16 pm

CraigHurle wrote:the game was more even than most seem to be admitting on here, yesterdays match, for the most of it, we had alot of attacking play going on, yes, I think we are taking too long on our shots on goal in the penalty box and abit nervy to go for goal when the chances happen But for the most, and indeed all of the first half, we was the better team on the field, even with losing Turner so early on, Rowe coming on, he played a solid match throughout, we can't keep losing matches by 1 silly goal all the time thats for sure, and as much as I am repeating myself, but Kendall, Speight, Adam, Killock will be back very very soon, and Ash too at Christmas for a New Years boost too, and it was good to see Franks back playing, nearly getting the equaliser late on.

Can't disagree with you regarding yesterdays match and thought we were worth a draw at least. First half we were the better team and could quite easily have scored one if not two goals.

Second half, we did not look like scoring.

Yesterday's result, or performance, is not why people are calling for the manager to go. I have my own opinions on this but would rather keep those to myself. To be honest with you Craig, and this is not a personal dig at all, you and I have only been following town for a couple of years and it appears the ones who want a change have been coming a lot longer than we have. I think if we had been following Town for the past five/six years, our opinions may be different.
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:24 pm

Vigorous discussion on both sides is the sign of fans who care about their club. But please let us keep it civil! My instinct is that the onus is firmly on the players and management to get a result for us on Saturday. That, and a performance oozing with passion, pace and no fear, would be a big step forward.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:25 pm

Innocent Bystander wrote:Vigorous discussion on both sides is the sign of fans who care about their club. But please let us keep it civil! My instinct is that the onus is firmly on the players and management to get a result for us on Saturday. That, and a performance oozing with passion, pace and no fear, would be a big step forward.

Totally agreed on this mate. A must win now and 3 points.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:15 am

Innocent Bystander wrote:Vigorous discussion on both sides is the sign of fans who care about their club. But please let us keep it civil! My instinct is that the onus is firmly on the players and management to get a result for us on Saturday. That, and a performance oozing with passion, pace and no fear, would be a big step forward.

No, it wouldn't be, because 1 win wont make a summer. Simon needs to go, because he has had more enough time, and more than adequate resources to make it work, but he hasn't.

We all care about our club, some more than others, and with the changes off the pitch, of course a lot of clubs will envy our setup, but on the pitch, I haven't lost faith in the players as they are a talented bunch, but I have lost total and complete faith in the current manager, and nothing will repair that now. The only way I will be appeased is if he does the honourable thing and resign.

If Irving really cares about his investment, and wants to see this club flourish and develop on the pitch, then he needs to do something about it, and swiftly.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:39 am

TheNeil29 wrote:

No, it wouldn't be, because 1 win wont make a summer. Simon needs to go, because he has had more enough time, and more than adequate resources to make it work, but he hasn't.

We all care about our club, some more than others, and with the changes off the pitch, of course a lot of clubs will envy our setup, but on the pitch, I haven't lost faith in the players as they are a talented bunch, but I have lost total and complete faith in the current manager, and nothing will repair that now. The only way I will be appeased is if he does the honourable thing and resign.

If Irving really cares about his investment, and wants to see this club flourish and develop on the pitch, then he needs to do something about it, and swiftly.

Agreed. I’m sure at some point we’ll pick up a win, but that doesn’t mean to say Simon has suddenly grasped the art of management. Far from it.

I’d be interested to see what Macca could do – he deserves an opportunity to implement his own ideas. An experienced pro with 20 years league experience, coaching experience and an increasing knowledge of non-league (can you tell I’m reading his book!). I’m convinced there would be an immediate improvement if Simon did the right thing and give Macca a chance.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:51 am

While Macca is Simon's number 2 he wont say boo to a goose, well not after how Charlie was treated anyhow!!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:52 am

Good Point TS. I havent really spoken to Macca at length, so I cant really make a judgement on this, but his experience speaks for itself and i'm sure he has his own ideas, but on the other foot, the way i'm thinking at the moment, me and you could become joint managers and improve the fortunes on the pitch.

This league is not difficult. Play 4-4-2 and keep it simple. Dont overcomplicate it. Have 2 effective wingers, and a big target man upfront to hold the ball up to bring other players into play. We have the players to implement this, and to be successful. And I'm also very confident that if another manager came in, this is how he would play.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:27 am

I must admit, I find it incredibly frustrating as I don’t think a great deal needs changing. Effective structures are now in place, we’ve a decent a playing squad, we’re fortunate to have plenty of volunteers that all do a great job. One problem – the manager can’t manage. The appointment of Macca would ensure some continuity but at the same time he could pick up on some of the subtle changes that are required, e.g, changes to training, warm up routines (identified by IB), an established style of play that make the most of players’ strengths. Added to that the immediate benefits of greater respect and confidence in the manager. Macca has been very loyal to the Weavers and is deserving of the opportunity to take on the role of manager. I’m convinced, that such a change could help us achieve a play off place.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:39 am

Macca's loyalty does not surprise me, as he was a Grimsby man all of his career, so the fact that he has stayed around at Harrogate for so long is not surprising really.

I agree that he should be given the opportunity to be Manager, as I do think he would change it around a bit, but we can only wish for this, because as much as a hange needs to be made from a management perspective, as long as Irving is chairman, Simon will be manager.

That is why I believe Irving has to make the tough decision to replace him, or they both need to leave the club. Whilst Simon is manager, we wont achieve anything.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:48 am

I think an Irving Q&A session is required without Simon there.
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:52 am

Well i guess i'll be called a deluded fool but i'm prepared, at this stage of the season to give Simon the dreaded vote of confidence and review it again at the end of September. Between now & then we have 5 league games & an FA Cup tie. All 5 league games look very winable on paper although i accept there are no easy games in this league especially this season which i think is more competitive than ever but feel if we're to make anything of this season the minimum reqirement is 11 points. Anything less than 11 points & an early exit from the FA Cup & the Chairman needs to release a statement explaining how he can justify the current managment structure remaining in place.
    I'm just starting to pull my head out of the sand but its been burried very deep for a few years, so it may take until the end of September for me to see the daylight again.

Also,could anyone please explain why we sign players on a Friday only to find out at half time on the Saturday that they are not fit. Seems odd to me.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:25 pm

CCOB we signed that player in sheer panic I think.. Weaver probably didn't know whether he was fit or not but threw him in the mix anyway on hearsay of his history. I would be surprised if he puts the town shirt on again, another panic reaction for another day......AND yet we have a young lad waiting in the wings for a run of games who has never disappointed in his brief performances and is a tidy player who can tackle and pass, oh and to whom despite lack of appearances keeps himself fit...Can anyone guess who?

CCOB I prefer people to come on who have different views on the situation, perhaps keeps things balanced, we all have out opinions, I certainly wont jump on your opinion even if i don't agree unlike someone else we know.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:35 pm

trevdee wrote:CCOB we signed that player in sheer panic I think.. Weaver probably didn't know whether he was fit or not but threw him in the mix anyway on hearsay of his history. I would be surprised if he puts the town shirt on again, another panic reaction for another day......AND yet we have a young lad waiting in the wings for a run of games who has never disappointed in his brief performances and is a tidy player who can tackle and pass, oh and to whom despite lack of appearances keeps himself fit...Can anyone guess who?

CCOB I prefer people to come on who have different views on the situation, perhaps keeps things balanced, we all have out opinions, I certainly wont jump on your opinion even if i don't agree unlike someone else we know.

Unlike the verbal abuse, name calling and close to outright bullying I get Trev? maybe not from you, although you have lost it and called me out several times on Facebook, but the verbal abuse I have tolerated for my own opinion on here itself has been disgraceful, we are all entitled to a opinion, when I offer mine, its treated with such disrespect.
    BB

Post by BB Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:58 pm

Just a thought……and I may be a bit naïve here, but if Macca was brought in because of his experience to help/advise Simon, then either:

1) His opinions match Simon’s and it therefore wouldn’t make any difference if he was in charge.

Or

2) He has other opinions which would make us a more successful team, and his views are being ignored…..in which case we should ask……why is he still here?…. because either Simon would be tired of hearing contradictory views,…..or Macca should be wondering what the hell is he still doing here, when he’s doing no good..…the thing is …his record at Harrogate isn’t going to look too great on a CV.

…just saying..
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:23 pm

Who else thinks Town will make the play-offs?! I DO!

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:25 pm

I do, as crazy as that might sound now, I really do. So much more football to come and players to return, it's all part of the journey, and I can't wait to climb that table.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:30 pm

I've nothing against McDermott, don't really know anything about him, but if we DO ever make a change (which, sadly, is very unlikely to happen) I think it needs to be a complete change. New manager who will bring in his own support staff. McDermot may or may not make a brilliant manager, but he has been part of a disfunctional set-up for so long that I'm afraid he would have to walk the plank with Simon.

What is so frustrating, of course, is that all this discussion gets us nowhere. Irving, for whatever reason (I've heard of paternal love, but this is ridiculous!), seems determined to hang onto Simon as manager come what may.

Maybe we will win on Saturday (better had), and I'll be as delighted as anyone, but it doesn't (as others have rightly said), mask the fundamental issue.

This time next year we will probably be having the same conversations...its like a vision of (footballing) hell isn't it?
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:35 pm

Chips97 wrote:Who else thinks Town will make the play-offs?! I DO!

Chips, the simple fact of the matter is that we havent been in the playoffs for a long time, and it wont be this season either (as much as we would all like to see it happen, regardless of opinions).

The reason we will not be in the playoffs is the fact that Simon Weaver hasn't got a clue what he is doing and is tactically incompetent. He has proved it time and time again, and the majority of hardcore fans will agree with the majority of my opinions, and if your age is correct, a lot of these blokes will have been watching Harrogate before you were born.

The only way this club will improve on the pitch is without Simon Weaver as manager, and if all the other fans/staff/players who believe Simon is the right man for the job want to keep their heads buried in the sand, then thats their opinion.

We will not achieve anything with Simon in the hotseat, period.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:45 pm

But to add to my above comment, just to prove i am a realist. I do thoroughly believe that we have one of the best pitches in non-league, and some League 2 clubs, one of the best setups off the pitch in non-league football and most importantly, we have the best Chairman in non-league football. That is fact. It is just a shame that for all the effort and investment that the Chairman and the time invested by the staff into this club, that the Chairman's son can't replicate the success off the pitch, on the pitch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 5:39 pm