Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+10
TheNeil29
j2021
rangerider
Dark Knight
Harry O
Ball and Socket
Chips97
V'
trevdee
Big Lundy
14 posters

TOWN on TOUR! Gainsborough Trinity

CCOB

TOWN on TOUR! Gainsborough Trinity - Page 2 Empty Re: TOWN on TOUR! Gainsborough Trinity

Post by CCOB Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Video from Saturday now on Gainsboro website.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

TOWN on TOUR! Gainsborough Trinity - Page 2 Empty Re: TOWN on TOUR! Gainsborough Trinity

Post by Dark Knight Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:24 am

town supporter wrote: Hardy was a prolific striker who scored for fun but that was some time ago now. Worsfold should be a striker and if he was given a run of games in that position would possibly score a few goals but at present its difficult to say.  Nelthorpe is indeed a winger but too often lacks the discipline.
    That might be where they've been playing but they just don't cut the mustard for me, they're all very samey and I don't trust any of them to be our number 9, number 10 or number 11. Way too ordinary to nail those shirts down and take us up a level.

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:55 am

Pity it wasn't Colwyn Bay who played the ineligible player...we'd have a game Saturday!

Tend to agree about Worsfold and Nelthorpe, they looked fantastic early doors, now I don't really know where they fit into the team, maybe they don't. Might be worth giving Beesley a chance again: he had a golden spell last season. .I'd like to see Rowe given at least two games as a starter: give him 90 minutes to show what he can do.

Its increasingly looking like last seasons hot spell was down to having Platt and Knowles in the team. Its been downhill since they both left.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:03 am

Just seen the video highlights, we certainly made some chances in the second half!
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:06 pm

paulstreet wrote:Just seen the video highlights, we certainly made some chances in the second half!  
    They only showed a handful of the chances in the highlights....First half we had 3 clear cut, 2nd we had more......Easy to say unlucky but it is about conviction, players shooting naturally rather than thinking about it and squandering it. Good interview with Simon, he says what we all know, dunno how he is going to get them ready for away games to Boston and Hednesford but I can't see points coming to us from either. Don't envy his job!
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:21 pm

And yet Hardy's finish against Stalybridge was top drawer... scratch 

Post by Guest Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:09 pm

trevdee wrote:
    paulstreet wrote:Just seen the video highlights, we certainly made some chances in the second half!  
    They only showed a handful of the chances in the highlights....First half we had 3 clear cut, 2nd we had more......Easy to say unlucky but it is about conviction, players shooting naturally rather than thinking about it and squandering it. Good interview with Simon, he says what we all know, dunno how he is going to get them ready for away games  to  Boston and Hednesford but I can't see points coming to us from either. Don't envy his job!
    "Don't evny his job" - I'd love his job - an excellent set of players, a team capable of promotion, the potential is massive yet the players rarely perform. Players played out of position, players not knowing what's expected of them, players who just can't be bothered - crikey, i honestly can't see how i'd do any worse and in reality I think i could do a great deal better.

rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:20 pm

you could be right
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:31 pm

town supporter wrote:
    trevdee wrote:
    They only showed a handful of the chances in the highlights....First half we had 3 clear cut, 2nd we had more......Easy to say unlucky but it is about conviction, players shooting naturally rather than thinking about it and squandering it. Good interview with Simon, he says what we all know, dunno how he is going to get them ready for away games  to  Boston and Hednesford but I can't see points coming to us from either. Don't envy his job!
    "Don't evny his job" - I'd love his job - an excellent set of players, a team capable of promotion, the potential is massive yet the players rarely perform.  Players played out of position, players not knowing what's expected of them, players who just can't be bothered - crikey, i honestly can't see how i'd do any worse and in reality I think i could do a great deal better.

I hear you but in all honesty I think this group of players and is probably a trend in todays game need their hands holding alot more, can't take criticism easily etc etc....He has already tried the kick up the bum approach and it clearly doesn't work - perhaps in the past it would have done.....It is like an episode of the only way is Harrogate with some of the players, more bothered about their hair going out of place than sticking their head on the end of a cross.

I think there is more to managing this set of players than we think. Yeah playing out of position and not been consistent with selection will only make it worse. In reality I just don't envy the task of picking up the likes of Hall and Nelthorpe because I'm not one to boost ones ego in a hand holding way.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:44 pm

My view is that you're been too generous. In all workplaces up and down the country there are some that benefit from a kick up the backside and some that require an arm round the shoulder. A good manager can do both.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:14 pm

I don't think i'm been too generous, probably too polite but I don't want the Harrogate Town mafia on my case......think we have aimed the majority of our stick towards Simon, and you know my feelings about him already but we are letting a couple of the players off lightly here......Yep they are not been managed correctly and if someone came in with more man management experience he could probably get more out of them but there are some players really letting their colleagues down, and quite simply they are taking the you know what out of the club/fans by doing the bear minimum in games......I will name them - Hall, Woods, Nelthorpe and to a lesser extent Brown. Now over the years, I have reported into some really poor managers, but have always had the determination to still perform to the best of my ability at what ever task assigned to me and I would expect any player playing for Harrogate Town to do the same. Great players have played under bad managers in every league of the world and still performed, there is no reason why our players should be no different, so if you ask me, Irving should step in like a head teacher, or a senior exec and give them a right talking to....Afterall he is a natural business leader!

I have always worked within a sales capacity and have met some characters over the years, but the one common theme over the years is that a good manager does get the best out of people however if those said people don't want to be managed or are just in it for the ride their character or lack of it will show pretty quickly...You either push them over board or put up with them at your own peril.

Also I want to refer back to the history of a couple of these players

Nelthorpe - ridiculous amount of clubs to date, meaning no manager has been able to manage him properly..Perhaps he should start his own beauty salon!

Hall - Someone who had one or two great seasons but then got bored, lost his focus and applied his attention to the TV world...Never really reached his potential, probably very difficult to manage as he knows if football fails he can pick up where he left on TV.

Woods - Former up and coming starlet, plagued by injury, huge bee in his bonnet that he isn't a full time pro.

Not been funny but all 3 are probably impossible to manage, and I don't think Weaver should have overlooked this when signing them. Only takes 1 bad apple to disrupt a team, so 3?
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:00 am

i see NFU won away last night seems their manager is getting the best out of his team but it helps when you have a good forward line
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:28 am

And just watch Stockport go now they have started winning (with a new manager!). Its already looking like the play offs places are firming up: North Ferriby, Altrincham, Hednesford, Brackley, Boston, and possibly Stockport as well. If we are still serious about joining them we need at least 6 points from the Boston/Workington/Hednesford games.

And what about North Ferriby? Wilson, Kendall and Jarman upfront...imagine having that lot at the CNG, and why not? Their Chairman can't be wealthier than ours!

Post by Guest Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:17 pm

It was explained at the fans forum question and answer session that North Ferriby were operating on an unsustainable basis, the implication being that it would all go pear shaped at some point in the future. Having a very expensive forward line is not a long term solution.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:43 pm

town supporter wrote:It was explained at the fans forum question and answer session that North Ferriby were operating on an unsustainable basis, the implication being that it would all go pear shaped at some point in the future.  Having a very expensive forward line is not a long term solution.
    what absolute rubbish how does anyone know what will happen in the future apart from us having the best ground in the Northern premier league, give me an expensive forward line anyday remember we are only 3 points from being bottom of the league

Post by Guest Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:08 pm

Were you not listening at the fans forum session when it was explained the ridiculous wages players like Jarman were on? Obviously not because I seem to recall you asked the same question several times! No objection to the club signing a striker, but not on ridiculous wages. The club made it clear they didn’t want one player earning vastly more than others as it would affect the unity of the squad, etc. If you brought in the likes of Jarman or Reeves that’s exactly the situation you’d end up with. I thought the club made it clear and it was one area I happened to agree with.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:13 pm

town supporter wrote:It was explained at the fans forum question and answer session that North Ferriby were operating on an unsustainable basis, the implication being that it would all go pear shaped at some point in the future.
    So are we operating on a sustainable basis? That answer from the club would imply we are. Surely the whole point of us putting up with Weaver Jr as our manager is because Weaver Sr is also operating the club on an unsustainable basis. If he's not then we're all being conned.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:23 pm

It's hard to assume really. The problem we have is that you need to speculate to accumulate, which is exactly what North Ferriby are doing. When they go up to Skrill Premier, then I believe they will be cutting their cloth accordingly. In this instance, I think we should do the same. Get the players in, get promotion then assess the situation. We aren't going to get out of this league by playing it safe. Not a chance. Who is to suggest that for example, North Ferriby are operating at a non sustainable level. They have several good players who will be on decent money for this level, but not much more than what we are probably paying several of this current squad. Their manager is getting the best out of their players. Simon isn't. Could be one of many reasons why, but something will have to give.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:28 pm

I'd love to see what we are paying our current squad, as I'd be more than confident in assuming that 1 or 2 players are on a fair bit more than the rest of the team. Woods for one example.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:43 pm

Irving made an important point that if he left the club for any reason, whoever took over would have a club in very good shape which managed its finances well and wasn't on the brink of going under. It was clear to me that clubs like north Ferriby have short term ambitions. I sensed that Irving felt a responsibility to ensure things were run properly.

I think there's more work to be done with the current group of players. Some of the performances at the start of the season support that. If Simon spots a decent striker then that's fine but just be aware that big wages for so called star strikers aren't always the solution. At this point you may want to refer back to kirk jackson and Paul 'incapable of running more tham 2 yards' Brayson.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:18 pm

But they were strikers who got goals. At this moment, none of our strikers are scoring consistently. You have to pay a premium for a good, consistent striker at this level.

A lot more could be achieved by the current squad, but Simon obviously isn't getting the maximum out of them. I believe the current squad have lost faith in him, but that's my opinion.

Post by Guest Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:55 pm

I do wonder Neil if some of the players have lost faith in the coaching methods and/or management style which is what makes me wonder whether a new striker is really the answer. Maybe the Charlie fiasco affected the players more than we think. If the supporters were sad to see her go then I imagine some of the players were too.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:11 pm

town supporter wrote:Were you not listening at the fans forum session when it was explained the ridiculous wages players like Jarman were on?  Obviously not because I seem to recall you asked the same question several times!  No objection to the club signing a striker, but not on ridiculous wages.  The club made it clear they didn’t want one player earning vastly more than others as it would affect the unity of the squad, etc. If you brought in the likes of Jarman or Reeves that’s exactly the situation you’d end up with.  I thought the club made it clear and it was one area I happened to agree with.  
    you seemed to be contented with what Irving told you without any proof what any of the NFU players are on or any club in this league but when you find out please come back and enlighten us

Post by Guest Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:48 pm

Yes I was content with Irving's response regarding playing budgets - thank you for your concern.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:05 pm

rangerider wrote:
    you seemed to be contented with what Irving told you without any proof what any of the NFU players are on or any club in this league but when you find out please come back and enlighten us
    Appeased is the word I would use.

I'm completely bewildered now. The arguments on here the last couple of years have centred around the fact we're stuck with the manager because his dad is bankrolling the club. People scared to question things and dissenters being shouted down in case the chairman walks away. Now it seems we're content with something else entirely. Surely the trade off of tolerating a novice manager for 5 seasons and beyond was that the chairman was throwing his lolly at it? Not a situation we should be fully happy or comfortable with but at least it makes the "arrangement" a bit more palatable.

town supporter wrote:Irving made an important point that if he left the club for any reason,  whoever took over would have a club in very good shape which managed its finances well and wasn't on the brink of going under.  It was clear to me that clubs like north Ferriby have short term ambitions. I sensed that Irving felt a responsibility to ensure things were run properly.
    If this is now the case then time is seriously running out for the manager then right?

TheNeil29 wrote:We aren't going to get out of this league by playing it safe. Not a chance.
    Certainly not if other clubs are prepared to have a go every year, which it seems they are.

All this just reaffirms what I thought this time last week - that we will more than likely spend the next few years going round and round in the same circles.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:19 pm