Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+10
TheNeil29
j2021
rangerider
Dark Knight
Harry O
Ball and Socket
Chips97
V'
trevdee
Big Lundy
14 posters

TOWN on TOUR! Gainsborough Trinity

Big Lundy

TOWN on TOUR! Gainsborough Trinity Empty TOWN on TOUR! Gainsborough Trinity

Post by Big Lundy Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:03 pm

TOWN on TOUR!
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Gainsborough Trinity (Away) The Skrill North Sat 5th Oct 2013 K.O. 3:00pm

Predictions:

Contacts/Directions:

Where to eat & drink:

Prices:
    Adult £11
    OAPs 65+/Consessions £7
    Children (under 16 years) £4
    Pre School Free

History:

Ground:
    The Northolme
    Capacity 4,340 of which 504 are seated & 2,500 are covered
    Record Attendance 9,760 v Scunthorpe United (Midland League) 1948

Last competitive match @ Gainsborough Trinity
    24/11/12 F.A. Trophy 1st Round
    Gainsborough Trinity 2 TOWN 0
    Att 386

Terrace Talk:

Gainsborough forum:

Live match coverage:

bounce 
    trevdee
    trevdee

TOWN on TOUR! Gainsborough Trinity Empty Re: TOWN on TOUR! Gainsborough Trinity

Post by trevdee Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:29 am

Anyway after an eventful few weeks, back to the league, back to winning ways I'm sure of it....Looks like Gainsborough have a good few missing for today so lets punish them from the off...

Always look forward to going to Gainsboro, they do the best cheesy chips!

Post by Guest Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:26 am

Gutted - was meant to be going but my nephew has arranged his 5th Birthday party for today. Let's get back to winning ways and kick start our season again!
    V'
    V'

Post by V' Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:02 am

You should have no problems with your keeper today, Peter Crook is superb infact I would say he is a much better keeper than Craig, this could be his chance!!
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:12 am

V' wrote:You should have no problems with your keeper today, Peter Crook is superb infact I would say he is a much better keeper than Craig, this could be his chance!!
    Let's hope he puts in a good performance! doubt he's better than Craig, that's almost impossible!
    Let's end this bad run and get 3 points! Winning streak here we come! Very Happy
    OOOOOO TOWN!
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Good luck to the team today. If they keep playing and stick some of the chances they are creating away then the results will come. COME ON TOWN.Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
    Harry O

Post by Harry O Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Another defeat. Was it more " bad luck " or are management going to accept we need a striker. Or a change at the top
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Well a simple case of if we don't score we don't win, and on balance of play it could have been 10-2.....shame we don't bag any points for possession or chances.

I think if we aren't going to bring in any new strikers, we need some shooting practise....admittedly their keeper made some great saves, we looked better when all 3 subs were on and if only we could play like we were losing from the start, the tempo was great in the 2nd half, just a shame we never got rub of the green. Not to mention a clear cut penalty in the 2nd half waved away for blatant shirt pulling

I think the key now is to up the tempo...1st half, Bolder and Brown played alot of side to side passing, almost at walking pace..2nd, Brown played further forward, both were playing less sideways, still passing the ball but working quicker and also passing more direct without playing too much hoof ball, it worked more effectively, and gave us some attacking dimension from midfield.

On a positive note - really enjoyed the chips and the huge portion size!!
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:15 pm

33min 35sec in!
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:29 pm

Question for those at the game, today has been made out to be another hard luck story but I notice both Woods and Nelthorpe were taken off at half time, presumably then the management were pretty unhappy at that point? I mean we can talk about missed chances but the fact is we were 2-0 down before half time and had we bagged a couple in the second half we still wouldn't have won the game.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:12 pm

Nelthorpe completely lost it really, couple of sloppy passes, Trinity crowd on his back, booking and Simon did the right thing taking him off, he probably would have got sent off...Woods didn't have the heart, just no passion at all........We had a couple of clear cut chances before they scored their first, both of their goals were sloppy from our point of view, not taking any credit away from Trinity as they had a couple of speedy, skillful guys up front.

Thought the decisions made today by Simon were spot on to be honest AND AT THE RIGHT TIME, the subs were hungrier, had more desire but unfortunately couldn't stick the ball in the back of the net........from what I witnessed both Woods and Hall seem to have lost their spirit, Hall half heartedly battled, where at the start of the season he was chasing everything, making his own luck, today he played with his head down, half chased things. Woods shows little glimmers, but I have a feeling he has grown an attitude " I am too good for town".

If it was up to me, I would drop Hall immediately, possibly look to offload and tell Woods to buck up his ideas or forget about football full stop. Beesley looks really hungry, he has to get a chance, and we know if the chance comes he will put it away and with that comes a change of style - NO ROUTE ONE!

I think we have two options now, absolutely go for it, hands in pocket, pay through the roof, and get a top class striker in or admit defeat this season but bring some of those kids through to first team action, I mean surely after a 21-0 win, a 10-0 win from another age group etc, we must have a gem of a striker in there somewhere.

I can actually forgive the manager if we have a losing streak when every player absolutely busts a gut even if we did throw on a few exciting prospects not quite ready, but when we have seasoned ex league players just in it to pick up a pay check then we are into unforgivable territory.

And for the record I thought Adam N, was brilliant today, must start every game now for me..He is obviously improving, we may as well see whether he can get better.

rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:49 pm

looks like it could be the "last chance saloon" for some of our shot shy strikers
    j2021

Post by j2021 Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:53 pm

Dominic Rowe must be given a chance at some point, thought he looked brilliant pre-season. I'm not disrespecting Adam Nowakowski here at all, he's a good player. But who do you think is more of a game changer Adam or Rowe to come off the bench?
    Rowe wins it hands down for me, his pace alone would certainly scare tiring opposition defenders, and he also has a goal in him as we saw in pre-season.
    Would love to see Beesley and Rowe start the next game!

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:42 am

There was a sad inevitability about this. Does pose the question whether the club should arrange another Q&A session though so that rangerider can seek further clarification about the purchase of a new striker!
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:33 pm

trevdee wrote:Nelthorpe completely lost it really, couple of sloppy passes, Trinity crowd on his back, booking and Simon did the right thing taking him off, he probably would have got sent off...Woods didn't have the heart, just no passion at all........We had a couple of clear cut chances before they scored their first, both of their goals were sloppy from our point of view, not taking any credit away from Trinity as they had a couple of speedy, skillful guys up front.

Thought the decisions made today by Simon were spot on to be honest AND AT THE RIGHT TIME, the subs were hungrier, had more desire but unfortunately couldn't stick the ball in the back of the net........from what I witnessed both Woods and Hall seem to have lost their spirit, Hall half heartedly battled, where at the start of the season he was chasing everything, making his own luck, today he played with his head down, half chased things. Woods shows little glimmers, but I have a feeling he has grown an attitude " I am too good for town".

If it was up to me, I would drop Hall immediately, possibly look to offload and tell Woods to buck up his ideas or forget about football full stop. Beesley looks really hungry, he has to get a chance, and we know if the chance comes he will put it away and with that comes a change of style - NO ROUTE ONE!

I think we have two options now, absolutely go for it, hands in pocket, pay through the roof, and get a top class striker in or admit defeat this season but bring some of those kids through to first team action, I mean surely after a 21-0 win, a 10-0 win from another age group etc, we must have a gem of a striker in there somewhere.

I can actually forgive the manager if we have a losing streak when every player absolutely busts a gut even if we did throw on a few exciting prospects not quite ready, but when we have seasoned ex league players just in it to pick up a pay check then we are into unforgivable territory.

And for the record I thought Adam N, was brilliant today, must start every game now for me..He is obviously improving, we may as well see whether he can get better.

Depressing reading. I think we're all agreed Woods should be pulling up trees in this league. It's a conundrum we need to solve rather than give up on. If Hall has lost interest then that is less surprising, we've been saying all season that he might soon get fed up of playing on his own with his back to goal. Neutral 

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:20 pm

Back to goal or not if you were paying me a few hundred quid per week to play semi professional football I'd quite happily chase down every lost cause. Really can't understand the attitude of some players.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:29 am

To follow on from TSs comments, couldn't be a possibility that the players have lost faith in Weaver? They are obviously going to support him in public, but behind closed doors and in their own thoughts? Who knows? I get the impression that this may be the case.

When it comes to Woods, to put it simply, he is too good for the club. He has the ability to play at a much higher level, and be paid more. It wouldn't surprise me if several high profile players left. A couple of more defeats, and we will really be in crisis.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:55 am

Hard to know what the problems are really, 5 goals against Ferriby who after losing to us have just got back to winning and scoring for fun (3 more Saturday). Most of our players must be on (I asume) at least £300 a week, have loads of experience at this (or higher) levels, but are not delivering the goods. Has Simon 'lost the dressing room' as the saying goes?
    Incidentally, why isn't Dwayne Samuels playing?

Two weeks to sign a striker and lift the spirits of the fans Mr Weaver Senior and Junior!
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:02 pm

glad people are now agreeing with me but nothings going to happen we where told that at the meeting if you remember so just settle for a long hard season
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:23 pm

If it were me I'd play Woods off Hall. And I mean off him, not 20 or 30 yards away.

Keeper, back four picks itself. Bolder and Brown in the middle of the park. Then I think I'd have Rowe on one wing, Taylor on the other, see if we can get some genuine pace and width in a more traditional midfield set up. Simple tactics I know but when you're struggling it's better if everyone knows what exactly what they should be doing and where they should be playing.
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:17 pm

paulstreet wrote:why isn't Dwayne Samuels playing?
    In my opinion I think Cleveland Taylor was the best player on Saturday and should definitely stay right back!

My team would be...
    Macgillivray
    Taylor Franks Killock Merris
    Worsfold Bolder Brown Nelthorpe
    Beesley Hall

I would love to try that team, obviously if we're drawing or losing I'd lob Rowe on from the bench as he can change a game instantly if given the ball. For me Woods on the bench, doesn't care as much for the club as others. Honestly Hardy isn't good enough should be sent out on loan somewhere till he starts banging goals in. Beesley has to start some games! He has lots of goals in him and that's what were lacking.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:19 pm

Chips97 wrote:
    paulstreet wrote:why isn't Dwayne Samuels playing?
    In my opinion I think Cleveland Taylor was the best player on Saturday and should definitely stay right back!

My team would be...
    Macgillivray
    Taylor Franks Killock Merris
    Worsfold Bolder Brown Nelthorpe
    Beesley Hall

I would love to try that team, obviously if we're drawing or losing I'd lob Rowe on from the bench as he can change a game instantly if given the ball. For me Woods on the bench, doesn't care as much for the club as others. Honestly Hardy isn't good enough should be sent out on loan somewhere till he starts banging goals in. Beesley has to start some games! He has lots of goals in him and that's what were lacking.
    Similar thought process to you, give Beesley a go, play him with Hall, perhaps if Hall has a partner he will lift his head again.....I do think though with Hall and Beesley, they require service from the wide men, I think Nelthorpe may be inclined to drift in the middle more, so I would get Rowe starting and tell him to hit a cross at every opportunity - up to the front men to get on the end of it.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Well I suppose we can nitpick over the team but we all seem to be in agreement that Hall needs someone up alongside him and we need some width.

The reason I left out Hardy, Nelthorpe and Worsfold is because I really don't know what any of them really are. They're not strikers nor are they wide players in my opinion. No amount of graft or willingness to run will cover up their deficiencies. I'll be honest, I'm more fed up with their repeated headless performances than I am of Woods' apparant lack of interest. Woods is too good a player to leave out or just give up on. I'm not saying he's undroppable but I don't think we've exhausted every avenue with him. Within reason we need to do whatever it takes to get him playing again. His body language spoke volumes when he was warming up against Brackley but at the end of the day you need to get the best out of your better players. At this stage I'd rather we tried to unlock whatever the problem is with our more talented players than persist with ones that clearly aren't good enough. My mate saw him for the first time against Stockport, he turned to me and said he stuck out like a sore thumb. I knew what he meant. The way he opened them up and the way he took his goal, he linked up great with Hall that day. I say give him a freer role further up the pitch, let him go and express himself and get back to doing what he's good at.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:19 pm

Post by Guest Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:51 pm

Dark Knight wrote:Well I suppose we can nitpick over the team but we all seem to be in agreement that Hall needs someone up alongside him and we need some width.

The reason I left out Hardy, Nelthorpe and Worsfold is because I really don't know what any of them really are. They're not strikers nor are they wide players in my opinion. No amount of graft or willingness to run will cover up their deficiencies. I'll be honest, I'm more fed up with their repeated headless performances than I am of Woods' apparant lack of interest. Woods is too good a player to leave out or just give up on. I'm not saying he's undroppable but I don't think we've exhausted every avenue with him. Within reason we need to do whatever it takes to get him playing again. His body language spoke volumes when he was warming up against Brackley but at the end of the day you need to get the best out of your better players. At this stage I'd rather we tried to unlock whatever the problem is with our more talented players than persist with ones that clearly aren't good enough. My mate saw him for the first time against Stockport, he turned to me and said he stuck out like a sore thumb. I knew what he meant. The way he opened them up and the way he took his goal, he linked up great with Hall that day. I say give him a freer role further up the pitch, let him go and express himself and get back to doing what he's good at.
    Hardy was a prolific striker who scored for fun but that was some time ago now. Worsfold should be a striker and if he was given a run of games in that position would possibly score a few goals but at present its difficult to say.  Nelthorpe is indeed a winger but too often lacks the discipline.

Woods often appears frustrated that his teammates can't do what he'd like them to to do - often as simple as receiving the ball to feet. He then tries to receive the ball too deep where he is no threat to the opposition and is also one of the reasons for him appearing so far away from Hall.

Not sure there's any magic solution.  If the players aren't interested in putting in a decent shift then it doesn't matter what the team or formation is. All fairly depressing really ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:22 am