Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+9
A1 drifter
paulstreet
JackHTFC
HTAFC Press Officer
trevdee
Dan_Gleebitz
rangerider
TheNeil29
nztownfan
13 posters

Chib heads released list...

Big Lundy

Chib heads released list... - Page 3 Empty Re: Chib heads released list...

Post by Big Lundy Sun May 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Announced at yesterday presentation that a number of new players have already been signed!
    Names not being released yet!

nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Sun May 19, 2013 8:16 pm

If we have signed players and i presume they will be announced soon i would like to being up a suggestion i made at the one supporters meeting i have been able to attend

After the Blackburn Rovers home freindly i think these new signings sould be invited to meet the home fans and have abit of a Q&A in the bar. it would be informal and the players can have a drink and relax and feel welcomed to the harrogate town club.

I realise that the footballers themselfs might not all want to do this (as it is after a football game) however it will not only allow them to feel more included but also start to meet key memebers of the harrogate town family (including the supporters club board)

it is somthing no other team in our league does and straight after a match i think there would be a large crowd of fans who will want to meet the new signing (especially if we have a big name sign) chilren will want to get autographs and photos and people like myself always like to meet the players :)and word spreads amoung footballers that we have great fans who are ambitious and inclusive...

Furthermore it will increase revenue for the club as people will want to buy a beer or a drink during the Q and A and the supporters group can use this as an event to increase the numbers of members

i would be more then happy to help organise this event (assuming the players are signed in the next few weeks)

Cheers Smile
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sun May 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Big Lundy wrote:Announced at yesterday presentation that a number of new players have already been signed!
    Names not being released yet!

can't wait to see who we have signed, hope they are good signings before i buy my season ticket, hope its on the website soon, anyone guess who they are?
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sun May 19, 2013 9:51 pm

gedmaloney wrote:
    TheNeil29 wrote:
    j2021 wrote:Is no-one going to praise Peter for the interview on the website with Simon.

Watched the full 25 minutes and got to say it was a really interesting listen. Great to hear his reasons behind his decisions, not just with players released but decisions over the whole season. Also great to see how passionate he is for our future plans, certainly seems up for the battle!

Thanks a lot peter!

Excited already, bring on pre-season!

I watched the interview in full also, and I was impressed by what I heard, but I still don't understand his reasoning behind releasing Luke Dean? When you have Adam Nowakowski, who is not 20% as good as Luke Dean, and has been retained?

It is my opinion, and my thought process is because Adam's dad, Tad Nowakowski is a director of the club. If his son was released, he would leave also, and after the amount of hard work Tad has put in over the past few years for the club, which has been immense, and he should be thanked for, the club might not want to let him go?

I may be totally wrong with this assumption, but I honestly cant think of any other reason? Because on the pitch, I don't see how he is better than Luke, apart from in the air and vocally.

It may sound like I am being very hard on Adam, but I have nothing against him, and he is a hell of a better footballer than I will ever be!! But as an outsider and a fervant fan of the club, looking in and not involved in the club, I cant help but think cynically about this.

With respect to the above why not have a word in person with Simon at one of the friendly games as I am sure he would be more than happy to give you his thoughts.
    For what it's worth I would make the following points:

1.Most Blue Square managers will have a budget to work too which is finite - a manager will then have to look at his squad on a "global" basis (ie. if I want to invest in a top striker I may have to pay over the odds which may mean I have to sacrifice in other areas - the benefits of having players like Matt Bloomer who can play in a variety of positions then becomes self evident).
    Getting this balance right is down to the manager and with 3 years experience under his belt, and progress made year on year, I would be optimistic that Simon's squad for the up coming season will show further improvement vs last year, which could make for an interesting season.
    2. IMO NOBODY gets selected in the Town team on the basis of a parent being a Director - they are selected on merit and while we can all have an opinion on whether a player deserves selection, the manager makes the final decision and he will make that taking a number of factors into consideration.
    3. Finally, a short anecdote. I knew a chap who was selected to play in an outstanding University team which included 3 International Captains and some great individual players - he was picked by a gruff Scottish Manager for 2 reasons - he had a big mouth and could organise the team, and he could kick the ball from one area to the other. He was told that if he did anything else he would be dropped. The chap was called Ged Maloney and the point being, we are all part of a team jigsaw with different contributions to make.

And so ends War and Peace but I hope this perspective helps affraid

Ged,

Thank you for your input on this for me. But taking your points into consideration:

1. I understand that Simon has a budget to work with. However, when taking into account what budget he has to work with, why couldn't he have taken this into consideration before he released a player who, by my thesis, is paid more than the player in question who has been retained.

Hypothetically speaking: Player A: £150 per week (bench warmer), Player B: £250 per week (solid first team, when fit). Player A released, Player B retained. It is still saving the club £150 per week, so when you talk about the global picture. So I don't really agree with the theory behind his decision. I do believe the decision to release this player was a mistake.

2. Unfortunately, I have always been a cynical bloke, but I can look at this from a few different angles, but to retain this player on the basis of this season's performances on the pitch and also lets not forget, this is a player who does not handle criticism very well. I then look at this against the person that has been released, and who none of the fans can complain about his performances when he was actually started, it is quite frankly, a decision that does not really make sense to me at all, but i'm not the manager. I have stated that I believe the retained player to be a good footballer, I just dont believe it is at this level.

3. I understand your point completely, but I just don't see what part of the jigsaw this person will fit, as I am extremely confident in my assumption that he will be a bench warmer all season, and if we are going to see several signings. I would view it on the law of averages that one of the signings will be a player who plays in the same position, but can give more to the team than the retained player.

This is the only decision I have questioned so far, and people know what I look like, and if any member of the club wishes to approach me, I'm quite happy to offer my opinion, after all. That is what it is, an opinion.

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 am

The point about Matt Bloomer is surely that he can play in just about any defensive role and 'do a job' there (in my view a perfectly satisfactory job as well). This kind of player (loyal as well) is invaluable for any squad to have. Remember we were very lucky last season: virtually no serious long term injuries, can't always be so lucky. I'm very pleased that Matt is staying.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon May 20, 2013 11:54 am

For me personally, Matt is very versatile, and will 'do a job' when he is required.

I have nothing against Adam, as I'm sure he is a nice bloke, and a very good footballer. I just think with the more signings that are coming in, he wont get much game time at this level. He was found out last season. Luke Dean is a better player than Adam in my opinion.

gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Mon May 20, 2013 12:01 pm

nztownfan wrote:If we have signed players and i presume they will be announced soon i would like to being up a suggestion i made at the one supporters meeting i have been able to attend

After the Blackburn Rovers home freindly i think these new signings sould be invited to meet the home fans and have abit of a Q&A in the bar. it would be informal and the players can have a drink and relax and feel welcomed to the harrogate town club.

I realise that the footballers themselfs might not all want to do this (as it is after a football game) however it will not only allow them to feel more included but also start to meet key memebers of the harrogate town family (including the supporters club board)

it is somthing no other team in our league does and straight after a match i think there would be a large crowd of fans who will want to meet the new signing (especially if we have a big name sign) chilren will want to get autographs and photos and people like myself always like to meet the players :)and word spreads amoung footballers that we have great fans who are ambitious and inclusive...
    Good call.
    Leave it with me and I will take it up with Simon and see what we can arrange cheers
    Furthermore it will increase revenue for the club as people will want to buy a beer or a drink during the Q and A and the supporters group can use this as an event to increase the numbers of members

i would be more then happy to help organise this event (assuming the players are signed in the next few weeks)

Cheers Smile
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Mon May 20, 2013 12:48 pm

gedmaloney wrote:
    Good call.
    Leave it with me and I will take it up with Simon and see what we can arrange cheers
    [/quote]

Cheers Ged Very Happy I forgott to mention having it after the blackburn game leaves two home games and an entire week to annonce the event to the supporters who learn from word of mouth and announcements over the PA system Very Happy It also allows people to plan ahead and make room for the time after the match (which increases spending in the bar and the quality of questions asked)
    devrede

Post by devrede Tue May 21, 2013 3:10 pm

On leaving after the presentation i noticed a guy somewhat reluctant to be spotted.So I'm assuming it may be a potential signing waiting to meet up with Simon. Face was somewhat familiar, not a particularly young guy but had obviously kept himself fit. He also had a number of young lads with him which i took to be his kids, strange they had an American accent whilst his was somewhat'southern england'. Anyway i digress, bloke was covered in Tatoos that were clearly visible under his expensive shirt, and one in particular stood out across his lower back, it read BROOKLYN, so i guess the guys into American Bridges.
    So i'm none the wiser really, and only time will tell if this guy is one of the mysterious signings.
    Keep the faith, and have a good summer y'all
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Tue May 21, 2013 3:56 pm

[quote="devrede"] On leaving after the presentation i noticed a guy somewhat reluctant to be spotted.So I'm assuming it may be a potential signing waiting to meet up with Simon. Face was somewhat familiar, not a particularly young guy but had obviously kept himself fit. He also had a number of young lads with him which i took to be his kids, strange they had an American accent whilst his was somewhat'southern england'. Anyway i digress, bloke was covered in Tatoos that were clearly visible under his expensive shirt, and one in particular stood out across his lower back, it read BROOKLYN, so i guess the guys into American Bridges.
    So i'm none the wiser really, and only time will tell if this guy is one of the mysterious signings.
    Keep the faith, and have a good summer y'all[/quote
    And I overheard Simon discussing forthcoming babies with a mean looking guy at the bar - accent sounded Scouse affraid
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue May 21, 2013 4:07 pm

[quote="gedmaloney"]
    devrede wrote: On leaving after the presentation i noticed a guy somewhat reluctant to be spotted.So I'm assuming it may be a potential signing waiting to meet up with Simon. Face was somewhat familiar, not a particularly young guy but had obviously kept himself fit. He also had a number of young lads with him which i took to be his kids, strange they had an American accent whilst his was somewhat'southern england'. Anyway i digress, bloke was covered in Tatoos that were clearly visible under his expensive shirt, and one in particular stood out across his lower back, it read BROOKLYN, so i guess the guys into American Bridges.
    Keep the faith, and have a good summer y'all[/quote
    And I overheard Simon discussing forthcoming babies with a mean looking guy at the bar - accent sounded Scouse affraid

Oi Maloney!!!

I am a scouser too!! lol!
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon May 27, 2013 10:38 am

Me too, albeit the 'posh bit': Crosby (well, sort of posh!). Smile
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon May 27, 2013 11:04 pm

I'm from the rough side, called Toxteth.

Bit of a scally me, i'm afraid :-)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:45 am