Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+8
paulstreet
crowbar6753
Dolf87
sulphurite
Blinker
Townfan
Wetherby Mike
HTAFC Away Travel
12 posters

Pre season Friendlies 2017... Thoughts?

Wetherby Mike

Pre season Friendlies 2017... Thoughts? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pre season Friendlies 2017... Thoughts?

Post by Wetherby Mike Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:28 pm

CCOB wrote:U21 Pre-season friendly fixtures.

Thurs 13 July - Harrogate Railway (H)
    Tues 18 July - Notts County XI (H)
    Weds 19 July - HTAFC Development Squad v Knaresborough Town (A)

The Railway game is the John Smiths Trophy game.
    The Knaresborough game is some kind of charity game i believe but not sure on the exact details.
    It is part of the celebrations for the 300th anniversary of the birth of Blind Jack Metcalf of Knaresborough - a famous road builder and fiddler.
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Pre season Friendlies 2017... Thoughts? - Page 2 Empty Re: Pre season Friendlies 2017... Thoughts?

Post by sulphurite Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:55 am

CCOB wrote:U21 Pre-season friendly fixtures.

Thurs 13 July - Harrogate Railway (H)
    Tues 18 July - Notts County XI (H)
    Weds 19 July - HTAFC Development Squad v Knaresborough Town (A)

The Railway game is the John Smiths Trophy game.
    The Knaresborough game is some kind of charity game i believe but not sure on the exact details.

Great we have an U21 squad to play Railway, what would normally be a first team game has now been given even less kudos than it ever has.

I think that the first team have struggled in the past to beat Railway too (entertaining games in the past!), an under 21 team does not seem promising, bet Railway are really happy about that too.

Used to really look forward to pre-season games, especially the Railway games, local derby etc... not fussed about any single game this time round.
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:37 pm

The majority of the Railway team after Beesley left them last season was their youth team, they went on to lose every game they had left bar one and only just escaped a 2nd successive relegation. I don't know what kind of team they intend fielding next season but if it's anything like the team that finished last season it seems obvious to me that it makes more sense for our U21's to play them. I'm sure Railway will be happy with that, no point in their youngsters getting hammered by our first team as happened last season.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Terry Kennedy signed from Alfreton. Centre back. Number of years with the Blades. Sounds good but, it would seem, dodgy knee and maybe an attitude problem.
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:23 pm

I remember Bradford PA's forum last summer wondering whether Simon Ainge's dodgy knees would stand up to a 3g pitch.
    Blinker

Post by Blinker Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:05 am

Slowly coming together. However, 3 players seemingly suffering historically from being prone to injury - Ainge, Knowles and Kennedy means lots of crossed fingers. Let's hope that we get the rub of the green in terms of keeping players fit this season.
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:48 am

paulstreet wrote:Terry Kennedy signed from Alfreton. Centre back. Number of years with the Blades. Sounds good but, it would seem, dodgy knee and maybe an attitude problem.

Where has this news come from Paul?

Nowt' on official site as per usual!
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Someone on Facebook picked it up from Twitter (I think a Sheffield United fan!). But it seems to be kosher. As you say nothing on the official site yet.
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:57 pm

paulstreet wrote:Someone on Facebook picked it up from Twitter (I think a Sheffield United fan!). But it seems to be kosher. As you say nothing on the official site yet.

Thanks
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:57 pm

Signing of Terry Kennedy confirmed by BBC Radio York Sport Twitter.
    Dolf87

Post by Dolf87 Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:48 am

A player who was released by a team who conceded more goals then anyone else in the league. An Alf fan on one football forum says he's accident prone. It hardy feels like a promotion chasing signing.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:18 am

I hope it turns out to be a good signing, but I share your concerns. Initially I thought the Sheffield Utd connection sounded really positive, but as you say, playing last season for a team fighting relegation in our own league, is hardly the most encouraging news. And why leave a League One club for the National North? Still, lets hope it works out.

What has really surprised me is that all our signings so far have been players from our own level (OK, Fallowfield played in the National Premier but to all intents and purposes, Ferriby being bottom, the same level).

Maybe I'm naïve but I was really hoping, and expecting, that the move to full time would draw in signings from players at a higher level wanting to remain full time. Were others expecting that?
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:19 am

I cannot help feeling that this is a case of managing expectations downwards.
    Dolf87

Post by Dolf87 Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:44 am

We only have a 15 man squad so far by my count, so there has to be another 4 or 5 signings to go. maybe some quality left to arrive.
    Top Cat

Post by Top Cat Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:19 pm

paulstreet wrote:I cannot help feeling that this is a case of managing expectations downwards.

Hope that your wrong Paul, but in honesty I agree with you hope we're both proven wrong by the end of the season, suspect buzz phrases like learning curve, adapting to the demands of full time, and building for the future to be used plentifully if we don't have a red hot start to the season.
    crowbar6753
    crowbar6753

Post by crowbar6753 Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi Guys, looking in from across the pond as always and i must say i'm pretty bored to tears so far? Everything seems pretty non existent or under whelming lol....i know its off season but these are the times that all the fun things are meant to be happening, new signings, new contracts, transfer gossip, who would we like, what formation will we be playing, waiting for that one special signing? but no, the Town site has fell asleep and all you guys must still be on your hols.
    Heck, they've even installed a 3G pitch so we can't even get a wow its looking pretty brown and needs a watering update.
    I don't have the pleasure of of watching Town play so how the heck am i meant to retain my Prediction league title when i'm not sure who are new players are of even if we have any...come on the Ice Hockey season has just finished over here so all i have is baseball at the moment to keep me going until the pre season lol. I will keep trolling this site everyday as always with baited breathe waiting for the big announcement whatever that maybe. Have fun guys.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:16 pm

A few of us are trying to keep things going, but not a lot of meat to chew on. Defo a deadly boring close season so far.Still in about 3 weeks the 'the.lads' will be back in full time training. My fear, as always, is that we simply don't have the manager to take us to the next level. No disrespect to Simon but he has had 8 years and good budgets. I'd love him to succeed and prove me wrong but I just can't see it happening.
    crowbar6753
    crowbar6753

Post by crowbar6753 Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi Paulstreet, i hear you there, hopefully moving full time will give them that little edge to work some more with the players, but also like mentioned before there does seem to be that feeling that Harrogate Town turn good players into average ones and then they move on and suddenly become good again. This has to be down to something behind the scenes, whether it be poor coaching or just a lack of man management i really don't know, only time will tell. I really think that Simon has two years to work at this at that will be it...at any other club or even an club in any sport, he would have been gone by now, and yes we all know the reason why but i feel moving full time is the last role of the dice.Also as mentioned above, the communication between club and fans is also non existent and really disappointing as the chairman has pretty much nailed everything else, but i guess this is also down to the situation regarding family issues.
    Ah well, only time will tell.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Dead right. With the same owner and a different manager, the sky could be the limit. As it is, it's Groundhog Day every season. SO frustating!
    Top Cat

Post by Top Cat Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:26 pm

On the subject of signing good players and making them average, our marquee signing last year who we released with a year left on his contract has signed today for Torquay in the league above us, watch him bang em in for fun.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:40 pm

I hadn’t realised we had a Town fan working for Leeds Council!
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Laughing
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:39 pm

We are now playing Hartlepool United at home on 15th July instead of Ossett Town.
    HTAFC Away Travel

Post by HTAFC Away Travel Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:59 pm

CCOB wrote:We are now playing Hartlepool United at home on 15th July instead of Ossett Town.

This is a great tie and should be a good test for the team.

Still awaiting confirmation of the final home game however hopefully this is another strong team.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:35 pm

Good news. Will Jeff Selling be there? And Woodsy? Bring him back!!
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:17 pm

I will always have fond memories of Woodsy - didn't always shine for us but he was magnificent on his day and in a different class. He scored one of the best goals I have ever seen at Town. Flicked the ball over a bewildered defender and then volleyed into the net as I recall. What a player.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 3:53 am