Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

Thoughts on 4G.

Surplus

Thoughts on 4G.

Post by Surplus on Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:03 pm

Considering the number of postponed matches through the winter period plus altered training sessions and general disruption to income streams etc what are people's views on artificial surfaces?

"As part of a £260million drive to improve grassroots participation in football, the FA announced last year that it wanted to install state-of-the-art '4G' (fourth generation) pitches in 30 "city hubs" across England."
    Read more at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Tommyb123

Re: Thoughts on 4G.

Post by Tommyb123 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:27 pm

Good to train on as we do at the moment but football is played on grass simple as that. Postponed games are part of football. Maybe for juniors but not for the big boys
    slicker

Post by slicker on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:57 pm

Who writes this stuff.

We improve grassroots football by getting rid of grass.

Fine Young Cannibals go vegetarian next ?

S.

Surplus

Post by Surplus on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:57 am

Not my cup of tea but I can see it coming down the tracks!

Mike of Wetherby

Post by Mike of Wetherby on Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:12 pm

This is going to be a hotly debated topic for many years to come. At present it is much more of an issue in National South than in National North. Maidstone in second place (with an almost identical record to Harrogate) have had a 3G pitch since moving to a new stadium several years ago and they have been joined by third place Sutton this season. On the other hand fourth place Gosport were very critical of the pitch after last week's defeat at Maidstone and there is for and against correspondence in this week's non league paper. I have seen one match at Maidstone. Although I am not a convert I found it quite enjoyable and entertaining experience. My impression was that clubs who try to play passing football to feet combined with pace and skill would flourish in the winter months more than they do now. If 3G really takes off I can envisage clubs that have multiple postponements coming under pressure to install 3G or risk losing their league status as part of ground grading requirements.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:46 pm