Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+3
Townfan
j2021
YoungStato123
7 posters

Weavers Post Match Comments:

YoungStato123
    YoungStato123

Weavers Post Match Comments: Empty Weavers Post Match Comments:

Post by YoungStato123 Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:27 pm

Town boss Simon Weaver saw plenty of positives in Town's 3-2 defeat at Northwich Victoria on Saturday.

Speaking after the game, he told BBC Radio York:

"That was the best performance we've put in for quite some time.

"It was quite evident that it was a cohesive unit almost straight away. It was a very big test of character in the first half, a gale force wind behind them. A big, hard side. Massive throw ins, massive set pieces, launches from their 'keeper into our box and coming in at half-time... not too bad due to the conditions. We responded really well after that...

"I thought it was an unlucky free kick [for their third goal], to give away with not long left. The 'keepers trying to fix his wall, he wanted five and there were three. He was trying to organise it, but he was stood behind the wall... I was disappointed, but he's a 19 year old 'keeper and I've tried to tell him in the right way so it doesn't happen again. We've seen the best 'keepers in the land beaten like that before, but you still have to set the wall up from the other side of the goal.

"[Trevor Benjamin and Jamie Harwood], what a difference to a team when you've got two strong lads. Good runners, but who can hold the ball up for us and give us a platform to play. They were a real handful for their defence. Northwich have been on a cracking run, as good as any in our league, and to come from 2-0 to 2-2... very encouraging times...

"Richard Dunning hasn't played for three months, he's an older head and has been there and done it. He gets on the ball and keeps it simple. We've lacked that kind of experience. He's happy to give a side footed 5 yard ball, whilst some of the younger lads just enthuse in going forward. He happy to do the ugly stuff, and we needed that. Ben Chapman, he's a little pitbull terrier. He gave a penalty away, and I've told him about that... he's rusty.

"We've got players now who will get stronger and stronger, and we'll get better and better. This is a new team now, we've found out where we were short and have added to it. They're working hard. I've learned a lot in the first thirteen games, and I know the right way to go now. I've tried my most to change it this week, and we have made radical changes. Now it's about getting these lads to buy into what me and Tom [Wade] want.

"Tom's experience will be a huge benefit to me and the players. It's a different voice now. He's been there and done it, been through good times and struggling times... I can really get the benefit of his experience. It was a difficult week with Kevin [Sharp] departing, but as a manager you have to make difficult decisions... Tom is a real straight talking guy, he calls a spade a spade. He's seen a lot of players and has a lot of contacts, he helped me get Jamie Harwood.

"There could now be one, a maximum of two further additions to the squad. We have to thin the squad out, and that will be done over the next few weeks. I want a strong, cohesive unit with real togetherness. I will be loyal to people if they give me the spirit. We can build and build and be strong. Today we had that physical edge to our game that we had been missing. I'm really pleased with the edge today...

"I can't confirm any departures [from the squad] yet, but I can confirm that several names have been circulated. Jon Maloney has been circulated, he's done pretty well for us, but there has been a shortage of goals up front. He wants to go on and play some games and he's a fantastic lad with a great attitude and can do well in the game. Dan Broadbent's name has been circulated as well. We talked about that, and I'm being up front with people."

Maloney could be departing then!
    j2021

Weavers Post Match Comments: Empty Re: Weavers Post Match Comments:

Post by j2021 Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:03 pm

I thought it was a very good post match interview and ive got to respect him for that, he told it how it is and to be fair hes brought in a few good palyers last week, and maybe a couple more.. I think he has realised his mistake in signing all youngsters and is trying to put it right...
    I am willing to give him time ... CMON WEAVER!!!!!
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:14 pm

At last, some sense.
    Before the season started most of us knew it would be a hard season and mid-table would be a good position. The budget was lower (about half) than last season and, consequently, the players that were brought in came from lower leagues. After a reasonable start, results and performances have dipped and the manager (and presumably the directors) have now realized that it is not going to work.
    The players that have been brought in over the past week or so will strengthen the squad and I anticipate better results in the future. Having said that, the games we have coming up are not easy to say the least, and it may take a while for us to start moving up the table.
    To be shouting for the manager's head so early in his tenure is absolute nonsense, give the man a chance.
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:41 pm

Well said!
    sagalout

Post by sagalout Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:31 am

I wasn't at the game so can only go on the radio commentary, but wasnt their 3rd goal from a free kick given away by Weaver for pulling another player back? If so he's doen a good job of deflecting his dissapointement onto the keeper for not saving it!

Still, sounds like a better performance than recent games.
    the wizard

Post by the wizard Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:32 pm

Great deflection by weaver, give away a cheap free kick then blame the keeper for not saving it!! Time to see you've got a centre back 10 times better than you sitting in the stands and itching for a game.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:04 pm

Everyone makes mistakes, and when he reads what he said, he will feel a little embarassed for sure. And I hope he takes some of the blame and not put it solely on the Goalkeeper.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:54 pm