Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+2
trevdee
Dark Knight
6 posters

A few thoughts ...

A few thoughts ... Empty A few thoughts ...

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:24 am

Whilst I didn’t go to the game I’ve still a few things to add. Firstly, I think Simon was right to alter the formation against Stalybridge, absolutely no problem with that – it was plain to see that Hall was getting increasingly isolated upfront and required greater support. Hardy hasn’t put a foot wrong and deserved his opportunity. Nowakowski seems to have a point to prove and was also a worthwhile inclusion. Provides 100% every game when others don’t – well done Adam.

And now the not so good bit … Surely its time to consider why so many of the players Simon and Macca sign, fall out of favour, don’t deliver, become increasingly fed up, etc. We saw it a couple of seasons ago with the lads signed from the North East. For sure you get a couple of bad eggs - Brayson’s attitude for instance was shocking from what I could tell, but when it keeps happening again and again you’ve got to ask why. A really good manager will get players running through brick walls for him, and will rarely be affected by this type of behaviour and the below par performances we’ve all come to expect. Is this is the key to what’s holding us back? Is it also not a coincidence that after publically criticising the team for a poor performance, players’ form starts to dip? And do Simon and Macca have the respect of the players, particularly bigger personalities with confidence in their own ability but not in theirs? I’m not so sure. And finally, how helpful is it have 2 of your biggest earners on the bench, one of whom is reported to be earning a £1k a week! You decide?!!!
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

A few thoughts ... Empty Re: A few thoughts ...

Post by Dark Knight Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:42 am

Well I'll tell you now, one thing I won't tolerate is player power. The manager is the boss and that's final. These guys are getting paid to do a job and if any of them want to undermine the manager or slack off because they don't fancy it here then frankly they can bugger off and do one. I don't care how good they think are.

And this my friend is why when the going gets tough we all need to be behind Simon, not calling for his head, because you do that and it makes it easier for the players to jerk us around. Some of these tarts won't stick around long anyway so I'm certainly not going to place my loyalty with them over the manager.

Unless of course we ever appoint Roy Hodgson. Then I give you all permission to hound the owl faced clown all the way back down to London, chuck eggs, that kind of thing. Smile 
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Echo the Adam comment, he put his heart and soul into last night and for the first 20 mins showed real glimpses of quality.....The the rest of the game he just became over whelmed and over run by the Stalybridge midfield, because Brown was just a passenger.........One good thing for me to come out of this all is that he has my full backing to be in that starting 11........Its about having the "eye of the tiger" mentality and he has got that more than anyone!!

There you go to all who thought I had a grudge against Adam N.

I thought we had overcome the respect thing and it is obvious Simon doesn't take any s**t by dropping 5 regular players, but I have never known various squads of players over the years suffer from confidence dips so much. We are all led to believe from interviews that the players he chooses to sign have the right characteristics in terms of loyalty, determination, attitude etc so I was hoping it would be different this season (think with the exception of Nelthorpe and his 5000 clubs in one month).
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:09 pm

town supporter wrote:Whilst I didn’t go to the game I’ve still a few things to add.  Firstly, I think Simon was right to alter the formation against Stalybridge, absolutely no problem with that – it was plain to see that Hall was getting increasingly isolated upfront and required greater support.  Hardy hasn’t put a foot wrong and deserved his opportunity.  Nowakowski seems to have a point to prove and was also a worthwhile inclusion.  Provides 100% every game when others don’t – well done Adam.

And now the not so good bit … Surely its time to consider why so many of the players Simon and Macca sign, fall out of favour, don’t deliver, become increasingly fed up, etc.  We saw it a couple of seasons ago with the lads signed from the North East.  For sure you get a couple of bad eggs - Brayson’s attitude for instance was shocking from what I could tell, but when it keeps happening again and again you’ve got to ask why.  A really good manager will get players running through brick walls for him, and will rarely be affected by this type of behaviour and the below par performances we’ve all come to expect.  Is this is the key to what’s holding us back?  Is it also not a coincidence that after publically criticising the team for a poor performance,  players’ form starts to dip?  And do Simon and Macca have the respect of the players, particularly bigger personalities with confidence in their own ability but not in theirs?  I’m not so sure.  And finally, how helpful is it have 2 of your biggest earners on the bench, one of whom is reported to be earning a £1k a week!  You decide?!!!

£1k a week? Who the f**k is being paid that? I find it quite hard to believe that we are paying that to a player at a Semi-Professional club.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:10 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:
    town supporter wrote:Whilst I didn’t go to the game I’ve still a few things to add.  Firstly, I think Simon was right to alter the formation against Stalybridge, absolutely no problem with that – it was plain to see that Hall was getting increasingly isolated upfront and required greater support.  Hardy hasn’t put a foot wrong and deserved his opportunity.  Nowakowski seems to have a point to prove and was also a worthwhile inclusion.  Provides 100% every game when others don’t – well done Adam.

And now the not so good bit … Surely its time to consider why so many of the players Simon and Macca sign, fall out of favour, don’t deliver, become increasingly fed up, etc.  We saw it a couple of seasons ago with the lads signed from the North East.  For sure you get a couple of bad eggs - Brayson’s attitude for instance was shocking from what I could tell, but when it keeps happening again and again you’ve got to ask why.  A really good manager will get players running through brick walls for him, and will rarely be affected by this type of behaviour and the below par performances we’ve all come to expect.  Is this is the key to what’s holding us back?  Is it also not a coincidence that after publically criticising the team for a poor performance,  players’ form starts to dip?  And do Simon and Macca have the respect of the players, particularly bigger personalities with confidence in their own ability but not in theirs?  I’m not so sure.  And finally, how helpful is it have 2 of your biggest earners on the bench, one of whom is reported to be earning a £1k a week!  You decide?!!!

£1k a week? Who the f**k is being paid that? I find it quite hard to believe that we reportedly paying that to a player at a Semi-Professional club.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:10 pm

[quote="TheNeil29"][quote="TheNeil29"]

£1k a week? Who the f**k is being paid that? I find it quite hard to believe that we reportedly paying that to a player at a Semi-Professional club.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:
    TheNeil29 wrote:
    TheNeil29 wrote:

I'd better not name him Neil but he does have ginger hair and plays an advanced midfield position for us. Does seem a lot of money, although I’m sure he could have commanded more elsewhere.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:36 pm

In all honesty, I do find that quite hard to believe. There is no way that we would pay that to a player, not in a million years. Irving has mentioned previously about running the club as a financially substainable business. If this is the case, then he has totally contradicted himself. Thats why I think there is no truth to this rumour.

The reason i'm aware that player (who I think you are referring to) stayed was to get games under their belt, and not for the money. Becuase the simple fact of the matter is that he will go back into the Professional game, and find a club who will pay him considerably more.

At the end of the day, if the play this player just behind the striker, that is where he excels. Get him fit, when he starts, play a 4-2-3-1 and no-one will get near us in this league, in my opinion.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:58 pm

I can’t say for certain but the source is fairly reliable so I felt it was worth sharing. Bear in mind Danny Holland was on close to £800 before he left, and that was a couple of years ago. If Woods helps contribute to get us promoted and puts in a decent shift every week then after a couple of seasons the club receives a decent fee for him then it would be worth it. For all the talk about making the club sustainable, I can’t possibly imagine how much money Irving is putting into the club. I would have thought crowds of 800 minimum would be needed to get close to making the club sustainable, but in reality I imagine few clubs are run on a sustainable basis.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Although Irving has invested, it would be good to hold in mind that for the major improvements, Grants/finanacial help would have been available from the relevant Football authorities, and i'm sure we would have taken full advantage of those.

I would agree that close to 800 supporters a game would be a fair and reasonable figure to be sustainable, but we will only get that figure if we go up. Irving has stated 700 in previous interviews, and I do think this is a realistic figure.

As we are all aware, the club are trying everything possible to improve attendances, but the simple fact of the matter is that if the club does the same as last season (good FA Cup run with TV exposure, and a good League positioning (playoffs minimum)) then the reputation of the club will improve and then attendances will improve. There are no excuses now. We have the players, and the squad to do it. The buck rests with the manager now.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Whole new set of problems if and when we ever do get promoted. For a start crowds of 700 will be nothing like sustainable in the Conference Premier – you can double that figure and then add some! Must be great being Irving!
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:31 pm

town supporter wrote:
    TheNeil29 wrote:
    TheNeil29 wrote:
    TheNeil29 wrote:

I'd better not name him Neil but he does have ginger hair and plays an advanced midfield position for us.  Does seem a lot of money, although I’m sure he could have commanded more elsewhere.
    more than my pension Crying or Very sad 
    HTAFC Press Officer
    HTAFC Press Officer

Post by HTAFC Press Officer Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Just to put this to bed - No Town player is being paid £1000 a week.

Kind regards,

Peter
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:52 pm

HTAFC Press Officer wrote:Just to put this to bed - No Town player is being paid £1000 a week.

Kind regards,

Peter
    But Peter, it MUST be true. A bloke in a pub told Town Supporter Laughing 

Post by Guest Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:36 pm

if that's the official line then happy to stand corrected.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:09 pm

£995 then ?

S.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:17 pm

slicker wrote:£995 then ?

S.
    That and some I heard - a bag of chips!

Post by Guest Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:56 pm

trevdee wrote:

S.
    That and some I heard - a bag of chips!
    Woods and Chips, sounds like a wallpaper !

S.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:42 pm

S.
    you could be on to something there slicker. I note with interest that this figure has not yet been denied. All this reminds me of the legendary gameshow play your cards right. Anyone for lower than £995?
    HTAFC Press Officer
    HTAFC Press Officer

Post by HTAFC Press Officer Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:46 pm

town supporter wrote:

S.
    you could be on to something there slicker. I note with interest that this figure has not yet been denied. All this reminds me of the legendary gameshow play your cards right. Anyone for lower than £995?
    No player is on or near £1000 per week.

End of.

Peter
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:56 pm

HTAFC Press Officer wrote:

End of.

Peter
    I heard the club wanted to but they'd already blown the budget on the press officer silent 
    HTAFC Press Officer
    HTAFC Press Officer

Post by HTAFC Press Officer Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:57 pm

No Press Officer is on or near £1000 per week.

End of - unfortunately

Peter
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:58 pm

HTAFC Press Officer wrote:No Press Officer is on or near £1000 per week.

End of - unfortunately

Peter
    You will be when I win the lotto Laughing 
    HTAFC Press Officer
    HTAFC Press Officer

Post by HTAFC Press Officer Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:59 pm

I'll hold you to that!

Post by Guest Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:05 pm

HTAFC Press Officer wrote:
    town supporter wrote:

S.

End of.

Peter
    Sorry, missed a decimal point somewhere.

To be fair, when Woods is on song that's worth the entry fee alone.

S.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 7:12 pm