Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

End of the friendlies....thoughts so far

Surplus

End of the friendlies....thoughts so far

Post by Surplus on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:06 pm

So that's it for another year. No more friendlies, no more mass substitutions or confusion over 3 starting players you never knew your club had. Into the main event......

So far, my general feeling has been that we have bought well, organised a good pre season and should be well prepared. Would've liked another game against high quality opponents but thought we got a very good work out with Scarborough.

Also got very little idea what the starting line up will be but will stick my neck out to say that Ainge should start but midfield is a different proposition. Feel we need more concise quick passing to give the forwards stuff to feed off but feel confident for the coming campaign.

boselecta

Re: End of the friendlies....thoughts so far

Post by boselecta on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:50 pm

Thought today we looked a little flat.My real worry is have we a striker who can score 20+goals?
    Robertson as started really well,hope he can keep his form into the league games. Chib will score goals but hes no real goal poacher. Dom's work rate is fantasic but again. imo seems to struggle in front of goal.Only seen JP Pitman twice and he too as yet to set the world on fire.

Really hope they go out and prove me wrong.And get lots goals between them.

Midfield is really strong. Kerry and Thanoj are a must start,then SW really as a hard task chose in who to start with them.

Defence very strong also.Full backs Parker left and Turner right.Then in Shiels, Ainge and Ellis, SW will have a very tough choice to chose  his  first choice 2 centre backs.

Goalkeeper.Crookes who TBH as not looked his usual self lately.Yes his kicking as always been a little suspect but at cross's he seems less commanding.

Last edited by boselecta on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:55 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)

Surplus

Post by Surplus on Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:44 pm

Yep. Personally been really impressed with Kerry in the friendlies, always looks like he's had his weetabix pre match and Thanjo would be in as always wants the ball, makes things happen and has a range of passes that as well as knit defensive to offensive very quickly also can ping a pass. Thought Leesley was very good as well today. Also impressed with JP as he created space for others and also setup 2 gilt edge chances for others . Chib looks good but all the forwards rely on service and personally think we need to be getting the ball to them quicker and get support around them quicker.

Parker/ Turner/ Ellis/Ainge/Colbeck/Thanoj/ Leesley/ Burrell/Chib/ Robertson based on friendlies.

A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:04 pm

Thought the Scarborough no. 9 had a tremendous game - big, strong, skillful, fantastic work rate. Good sportsman as well. Good luck to him.

Chips97

Post by Chips97 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:09 pm

I'm still not convinced by our idea of playing the diamond formation, think we need to play wingers as I feel the forwards were lacking service today.

The line-up I'd go for is:
    Crook
    Turner
    Ellis
    Ainge
    Parker
    Colbeck
    Thanoj
    Kerry
    Leesley
    Knowles(if fit) if not Chib
    Robertson

Just to add that I though JPP was lively when he came on today so I'd like to see him take part at some point next week.
    Kerry and Thanoj have to start in the middle for me. Both have ran our midfield and have being the most creative players in our team, picking out some perfect passes.

Big shout out for Ainge who looks very solid at the back but also looks a threat from set pieces which is something we've lacked for a while.

Anyway role on Saturday and whatever team Simon picks I'll 100% be backing them on the day! CMON TOWN!!!!!

GARAGE

Post by GARAGE on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:19 am

I'm not impressed by Parker and would prefer Swain who I believe played for Spennymoor yesterday. He's far more mobile. JP has shown next to nothing preseason except for his late decision to start looking interested yesterday. His body language has looked as if he's not happy to be with us. Playing with no wingers is affecting our prospect.Why has the pitch been widened when we don't have width - hope we don't have to suffer what we saw the first half yesterday because I was falling asleep. We were promised something different.

Surplus

Post by Surplus on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:41 am

Whatever the team, hopefully SW will be fairly consistent and the lads get a good understanding going. There is certainly less long hopefull punts down the channels and people getting the ball down in midfield and playing it out. That can only help our possession stats as we work hard to get the ball then just give it away with ball that comes back down to earth with cloud cover on it.

Important to set the tone next week with Worcester and take them apart at the seams.

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:41 am

GARAGE wrote:I'm not impressed by Parker and would prefer Swain who I believe played for Spennymoor yesterday. He's far more mobile. JP has shown next to nothing preseason except for his late decision to start looking interested yesterday. His body language has looked as if he's not happy to be with us. Playing with no wingers is affecting our prospect.Why has the pitch been widened when we don't have width - hope we don't have to suffer what we saw the first half yesterday because I was falling asleep. We were promised something different.

Have to agree on the lack of width, which I think is also then impacting upon the speed of play into the forwards. We have an abundance of great centre midfielders and can see why SW is trying to select them all but it is hampering forward play. I really hope we don't repeat the abject failure of this system when a certain team crashed and burned in France. I cannot work out if it is a diamond or a 3 with a 1 up top - either way I think it is hampering a team that is made up of great talent and superb depth. At this level and with the squad we have why over complicate things with a group of players who will have experienced the majority of their playing career in a good old fashioned and last season title winning 442.

Parker i think has paid the price for Swains involvement in so many friendly matches before then heading up the A1. Could certainly done with more playing time parker.

Let's hope next Saturday and the ensuing two home matches see SW's tactical switch pay off as we really do have a squad capable of great things.

Surplus

Post by Surplus on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:10 pm

Agreed carefree. The only numbers that matter are 3 pts at the end of every game. Need to nail consistency and grind out those 1-0 wins away from home. No dramas, just managing the game out and save the fancy demolition jobs for flyde and Chorley.

boselecta

Post by boselecta on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:31 pm

Got to admit 4-1-2-1-2...I think seems to make us very narrow.Thought when we widened the pitch, brought in wide players Leesley ,Brooksby plus Emmett and Coldbeck we would try old fashioned out and out wing play.
    Got to admit watching Parker,he seemed to be holding his groin and stretching a lot through out the game.Really hope its something and nothing but with his injury record and Louie seeking pastures new, we would look very light weight at left back , just as the season's about to start.

boselecta

Post by boselecta on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:49 pm

Match highlights.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet on Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:31 pm

On pre-season form Kerry, Thanof, Robertson, Leesley have to start surely. My team would be:

Crook/Turner,Parker/ Shiels, Ainge/Colbeck,Kerry,Leesley,Thanof/Robertson, Chilaka
    Bench: Ellis, Burrell,Platt, Knowles,Emmett

Whichever 16 Simon picks some very good players are going to miss out.
    Incidentally, do we have any kind of cover for Crook? Bit risky if we don't surely.

Just been on one of the betting sites for interest. Current odds Skybet (as an example)

Halifax 9/2
    Fylde 6/1
    Harrogate 9/1
    Altrincham and Stockport 12/1
    Boston, Kidderminster and others 14/1
    Worcester 50/1

No excuses on Saturday then!

Surplus

Post by Surplus on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:40 pm

I'll be keeping a close eye on Flyde. Still say if we can take 6 pts off them and finish 4 pts ahead we will be right in the mix come season end.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:51 am