Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+4
Ball and Socket
nztownfan
Innocent Bystander
paulstreet
8 posters

Time to accept the 'inevitable'?

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Time to accept the  'inevitable'? Empty Time to accept the 'inevitable'?

Post by paulstreet Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:21 pm

Like most of us I guess I have tried to be understanding about the state of the pitch, I think we all appreciate the difficulties, but its rapidly becoming farcical. We have had remedial work' done, an expensive cover hired yet games are STILL being called off when every other game in the BSN went ahead. I was quite hopeful Boxind Day morning (silly me!), but have almost got beyond being disappointed now. We still have Jan/feb/March to come and the weather aint going to get any better.

The real 'tragedy' is we are not able to build on the momentum generated by the cup run and the freebie...a lot of those potential new fans will have simply lost interest if, and when, we do start playing home games again. Like to guess the attendance for Bishops Stortford on a Tuesday evening in January? 200 if we are lucky.

So the reason for the title of this thread...is it not time to accept the inevitable about the pitch this season and give it up. Start to seriously negotiate with the BSN officials and neighbouring clubs about a ground share. I assume the BSN rules won't allow us to groundshare with Railway, Albion or Knaresboro', and I can't imagine our three Yorkshire BSN rivals would be too keen, so that leaves York (too expensive?), or Farsley as possible sites.

We have had a great half season with the cup run, maybe (reluctantly) write the rest of this season off, get a ground share, mid-table finish, get the pitch PROPERLY sorted for next August and start again.

What do people think? Am I out on a limb here?
    Innocent Bystander

Time to accept the  'inevitable'? Empty Re: Time to accept the 'inevitable'?

Post by Innocent Bystander Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Are we being hamstrung by match officials who don't like getting muddy? Just how bad was the pitch on Boxing Day?
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:37 pm

Good point, it would be nice to have some feedback on WHY the game was called off...did the covers not work, was it touch and go etc. etc. Anyone in the know want to help us out (we're only fans after all!)?

Incidentally I have had a look at the Evo-Stik and NE Counties sites/results. There were a few games off, but none I think in Yorkshire, so if 'micky mouse' clubs in the NE Counties (sorry guys!), can get their games on, tells us something about how bad our pitch really is.
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:45 pm

Tiny point but if someone could just post a photo of the pitch on match day then we could at least get a feel for the situation

Club communication has improved in many ways in recent times, regular photo updates on the pitch would be appreciated by the fans

Does the cover manage to protect the entire pitch? I understand a couple of games have been called off because of very wet sidelines

A bulk order of sand to tide us through the winter? (Apologies for the pun!)
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Another update from the Chairman (previous ones much appreciated) would be welcome, perhaps giving us some idea how the Club itself views the situation.
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:00 pm

Trust Harrogate Town Wink nothing ever goes right for us Laughing

lets get a win on Saterday Smile
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:21 pm

There is NO ONE MORE DISAPPOINTED about the state of the pitch than Irving Weaver. If only..... But there we are. We have what we have. I know that the powers that be at the Football Club do not want this to happen again next season so getting it right is the priority. We don't want to put off players coming to Harrogate Town because they believe our pitch is awful. Decent footballers want to play on a good surface and not worry about getting injured.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:48 am

Never mind a win, I'd just take a game Shocked Raining again here in Leeds..hope the cover is on and several tons of sand have been applied to the touchlines!
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:23 pm

any indication if its going to be on....... i missed the Sunderland vs Man City game because i expected a harrogate game and not only did i have no football i also misse the best result all year for my team sunderland... we are playing Spurs this weekend and i can still book tickets and dont want to miss it if harrogate arnt playing...
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:14 pm

Weather forecast for tomorrow morning is poor
    Would really appreciate news on state of pitch as I am planning to get to this game
    Up The Town
    Up The Town

Post by Up The Town Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:19 pm

There is an update from Irving on the website

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Yep and looking at it, tomorrow will no doubt be cancelled...........In all my years of loving football I have never known a Christmas period without any....Will donate my gate fee to Guisley.
    JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Post by JackHTFC Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:46 pm

How good would it have been to say we went up and got to the 2nd round of the FA cup in the same season?!

P.S after a match, I go and watch the final few minutes of some of the football on the Stray. Makes me alot more positive as I finish my walk home thinking were 70's Brazil!
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:29 pm

Good on you Jack. I did'nt know there were floodlights on the Stray. After a game its very dark walking home on the Stray. Happy New Year.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:23 am

Irving's response was welcome, still didn't understand most of it however! Bottom line seems to be that our pitch as it currently is is effectively unplayable, and its a case of either do more remedial work or groundshare, and Mr. Weaver suggests that remedial work will be cheaper. Problem is, as he says, we need 5 clear days to begin any work. Its raining again as I type this, are we going to get[u] 5 clear days? Odds can't be very good.

I guess everyone (officials, players, fans) are getting completely p....d off with this, but, as has been said, we are were we are, doesn't make it easier to live with! We now have 7 (!) games in hand of Chester and 5 in hand of most others. I think if we were to win just 3 of our games in hand we would be in a play off place.

Wonder if Baker will play tomorrow? I hope to get to Alty on Saturday, at least see Town again before I forget what the players look like!
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:00 pm

forget what the players look like? i forgot where the ground is Very Happy

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Town 1 - 0 up at Half Time.

S.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:06 am