Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+7
Martin L
paulstreet
gedmaloney
trevdee
Big Lundy
Dark Knight
TownUltra
11 posters

Town Ultra's League Prediction for the Rest of the Season

trevdee
    trevdee

Town Ultra's League Prediction for the Rest of the Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Town Ultra's League Prediction for the Rest of the Season

Post by trevdee Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:30 am

and after perfecting that move we need to do a bit of this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Martin L

Town Ultra's League Prediction for the Rest of the Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Town Ultra's League Prediction for the Rest of the Season

Post by Martin L Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Between 14th Dec - 8th March you have Town down to get a point or 3 in 15 matches on the trot.....

would be nice.

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:45 pm

Chris Hall goal after 5 minutes and Craig having lace tying problems for 85 minutes...love it!
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:55 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You are always up against it to get out of this league!
    Shocked
    TownUltra
    TownUltra

Post by TownUltra Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:27 pm

That's probably some serious cash going in there then.
    TownUltra
    TownUltra

Post by TownUltra Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:49 pm

Yeah but out of those 15 i've put down 6 draws, so even if we lost 2 or 3 that i'd say we'd draw we'd still get 76 points if the other stuff comes in. It's possible!

What's your prediction?
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:25 am

Looks as though North Ferriby mean business! They may have problems developing their ground apparently, but money is clearly not going to be an issue. Mind you the owner of Hull City wants to call them Hull Tigers, so heaven knows what NFU will end up being called.
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:27 am

Good point Paul - they seem to have serious money behind them - or are we looking at a Farsley Celtic? I remember going to watch Woking v Farsley in the Conference a few years back (my local ground when at work) my mind was drawn to the Farsley supporters' car that turned up --- with no one in it!
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Yes you do wonder about the long term viability of North Ferriby at a level much beyond ours. It is, basically, I think a village (or a suburb of Hull). Its a very pleasant little ground (picturesque), But I dont think they get more than 250 or so supporters, even doing as well as they are. Farsley, I guess, got into the Conference without having the infrastructure (and money?) to support it, and it all ended in tears (you could see it coming, to be honest). I went to see their first game in the Premier (against Salisbury, I think), and it felt rather weird, to be honest it still felt like an Evo-Stik ground in terms of facilities etc. Anyway I hope they work their way back up the Pyramid, nice little club.

It does look as though Irving and the team are determined not to make that mistake, if we DO go up (not this year, I feel), we SHOULD have the infrastructure etc. to maintain at least Conference Premier membership. Farsley and Ferriby are both essentially suburbs of larger towns, Harrogate is a seperate town with a reasonable catchment area. I think we would comfortably get 700 in the Premier, and several clubs survive on that. Guiseley should be OK as well, they have a decent core support of 450/500 now, quite impressive.

Incidentally you have to tip your hat to Vauxhall Motors, not just surviving in our league, but doing pretty well year after year: 'crowds' of, what, about 200, and ground in the middle of nowhere.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Well there's the reality check, as if it were needed Crying or Very sad 

Got to bounce back and get another run going.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Just reading the last few posts about North Ferriby and thinking about that 5-0 we dished out...Depressing.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:08 am

Yep, so much for my optimism. At least I had a good day out in Liverpool, evening ruined by listening to the last few minutes of the radio commentary! Maybe its better being permanently pessimistic...less disappointment that way. Sad 
    TownUltra
    TownUltra

Post by TownUltra Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:22 pm

Shoot for the stars and you'll reach the moon. Positivity makes things happen. Negativity doesn't. Hope is always there, it never goes away. It's hope that gives us the strength in our darkest hours to carry on and reach towards the light. Never lose hope, and it will repay you.

The problem about Town is that it's caring about something you love which you can't impact very easily, we are not the manager or the players, so we have to live with whatever they do. We can only shout encouragement from the sidelines.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:18 pm

My predictions:

Sat 7 Dec : Altrincham (H) 0
    Tue 10 Dec : Hednesford Town (A) 0
    Sat 14 Dec : Gloucester City (H) 3
    Sat 21 Dec : Worcester City (A) 3
    Thu 26 Dec : Guiseley AFC (H) 1
    Sat 28 Dec : Vauxhall Motors (A) 1
    Wed 1 Jan : Guiseley AFC (A) 1
    Sat 4 Jan : AFC Telford United (H) 0
    Sat 11 Jan : Stalybridge Celtic (H) 1
    Sat 18 Jan : Leamington (A) 3
    Sat 25 Jan : Bradford Park Avenue (H) 1
    Sat 1 Feb : Colwyn Bay (A) 3
    Sat 8 Feb : Hednesford Town (H) 0
    Sat 15 Feb : Histon (A) 3
    Sat 22 Feb : Boston United (H) 1
    Sat 1 Mar : Brackley Town (A) 0
    Sat 8 Mar : Solihull Moors (H) 1
    Tue 11 Mar : Altrincham (A) 0
    Sat 15 Mar : Bradford Park Ave (A) 1
    Sat 22 Mar : Colwyn Bay (H) 3
    Sat 29 Mar : Gainsborough Trinity (H) 3
    Sun 6 Apr : Gloucester City (A) 3
    Sat 12 Apr : Leamington (H) 3
    Sat 19 Apr : North Ferriby United (A) 0
    Mon 21 Apr : Barrow FC (H) 3
    Sat 26 Apr : Stockport County (A) 1

TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:20 pm

[quote="TheNeil29"]My predictions:

Sat 7 Dec : Altrincham (H) 0
    Thu 26 Dec : Guiseley AFC (H) 1
    Sat 28 Dec : Vauxhall Motors (A) 1
    Wed 1 Jan : Guiseley AFC (A) 1
    Sat 11 Jan : Stalybridge Celtic (H) 1
    Sat 18 Jan : Leamington (A) 3
    Sat 25 Jan : Bradford Park Avenue (H) 1
    Sat 8 Mar : Solihull Moors (H) 1
    Sat 29 Mar : Gainsborough Trinity (H) 3
    Sat 26 Apr : Stockport County (A) 1

That gives us 62 points. Maybe good enough for 7th/8th.
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:22 pm

My Predictions:
    Sat 7 Dec : Altrincham (H) 1
    Thu 26 Dec : Guiseley AFC (H) 3
    Sat 28 Dec : Vauxhall Motors (A) 3
    Wed 1 Jan : Guiseley AFC (A) 0
    Sat 11 Jan : Stalybridge Celtic (H) 3
    Sat 18 Jan : Leamington (A) 1
    Sat 25 Jan : Bradford Park Avenue (H) 3
    Sat 8 Mar : Solihull Moors (H) 0
    Sat 29 Mar : Gainsborough Trinity (H) 1
    Sat 26 Apr : Stockport County (A) 3

67 points I believe! Are my results realistic?
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Chips97 wrote:My Predictions:
    Sat 7 Dec : Altrincham (H) 1
    Thu 26 Dec : Guiseley AFC (H) 3
    Sat 28 Dec : Vauxhall Motors (A) 3
    Wed 1 Jan : Guiseley AFC (A) 0
    Sat 11 Jan : Stalybridge Celtic (H) 3
    Sat 18 Jan : Leamington (A) 1
    Sat 25 Jan : Bradford Park Avenue (H) 3
    Sat 8 Mar : Solihull Moors (H) 0
    Sat 29 Mar : Gainsborough Trinity (H) 1
    Sat 26 Apr : Stockport County (A) 3

67 points I believe! Are my results realistic?
    more like optimistic, 57 points at most
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:01 pm

It'll be interesting to look back at these predictionss come April 30th.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:18 am

I saw this over the weekend in one of the papers about Manchester United's current predicament written by someone who has spent the last few years watching his team struggling to get that "coveted 4th spot" in the premier league but to be honest it could be applied to any team who has been struggling to meet expectation and it can definitely be applied on here:

"Your mind starts playing tricks on you in 7th. You think "now if we win and they draw and then so and so lose we'll be a point off fourth". Things like that. You start thinking things like "Team A at home next week, that's three points right there". You start going through all these scenarios. You might even win a couple on the bounce. Then, just as you think you're making progress you get beat and everyone else picks up points and you're back in 7th again."

I have to say this pretty much nails on the head what I've been trying to say in this topic. One or two seem to be getting carried away once more. All of a sudden Simon is the messiah again and people come on here to have petty little swipes at anyone who doesn't think so. Now don't get me wrong Saturday was a great win and even though we finished the game hanging on, Altrincham are obviously one of the better teams in this division but people seem to have forgotten it's only a few weeks ago we were clinging on against Oxford. Last week's non turn up at Solihull has been airbrushed from history and the 4-0 dumping at BPA was presumably just an anomaly put down to bad luck and injuries judging by recent comments.

Some have mentioned they're looking at the table all excited again and I have to say we've done well to narrow the gap after that bad run but I stick by what I said before, we have little room for manoeuvre. A point midweek and a win next Saturday would be very good progress but even if we manage that or better (and given how the season has gone that's a big if) we'll still be off the pace and with teams above us having one or two games in hand.

I don't want to come across as trying to dampen the spirits but I worry when I see folk get so easily carried away that they are setting themselves up for a fall. We still clearly have a mountain to climb to get into the playoffs and I've noticed the speed at which some people's knees jerk or head's turn full circle on here is phenomenal. It's only a few weeks ago that certain players were being completely pilloried and having unfounded accusations made about their character and commitment (not by me I might add). This morning they are being talked about as worldy heroes!

Maybe it's to be expected from people after what has been a real Jekyll and Hyde season but I just wish there was a touch more sensible and rational objectivity.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:26 am

See, I told you I thought we'd win! What a game...first 22 minutes some of the best Ive ever seen from Town, Woods' first goal simply defies belief (please say someone had a video camera going!). Simon obviously meant what he said about attacking play, and good to see Hall, Taylor etc come on as subs. Funnily enough despite their pressure, I always felt we'd hang on.
    We are back in the hunt now (lets hope those missing 3 points don't come back to bite us come April), and even losing tomorrow won't be a catastrophe (although obviously I hope we don't), as long as we beat Gloucester Saturday.
    Anyway, heard the good news? Hednesford lost 5-1 Heard the bad news? It was Gloucester City who did it Shocked  Ouch!
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:33 am

fair points DK, but if we can't be a bit excited after Saturday its a poor show! You are right, we must still be outsiders for a play off place, and we need to keep winning, but we could easily have been completely out of it by now, at least it means Saturday's game (bumper crowd and all) has real meaning, as do the Xmas games against Guiseley (and look at their recent run!). I'm gonna stay excited at least until 9.50 p.m. tomorrow and hopefully a lot longer  rendeer rendeer 
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Dark Knight wrote:I saw this over the weekend in one of the papers about Manchester United's current predicament written by someone who has spent the last few years watching his team struggling to get that "coveted 4th spot" in the premier league but to be honest it could be applied to any team who has been struggling to meet expectation and it can definitely be applied on here:

"Your mind starts playing tricks on you in 7th. You think "now if we win and they draw and then so and so lose we'll be a point off fourth". Things like that. You start thinking things like "Team A at home next week, that's three points right there". You start going through all these scenarios. You might even win a couple on the bounce. Then, just as you think you're making progress you get beat and everyone else picks up points and you're back in 7th again."

I have to say this pretty much nails on the head what I've been trying to say in this topic. One or two seem to be getting carried away once more. All of a sudden Simon is the messiah again and people come on here to have petty little swipes at anyone who doesn't think so. Now don't get me wrong Saturday was a great win and even though we finished the game hanging on, Altrincham are obviously one of the better teams in this division but people seem to have forgotten it's only a few weeks ago we were clinging on against Oxford. Last week's non turn up at Solihull has been airbrushed from history and the 4-0 dumping at BPA was presumably just an anomaly put down to bad luck and injuries judging by recent comments.

Some have mentioned they're looking at the table all excited again and I have to say we've done well to narrow the gap after that bad run but I stick by what I said before, we have little room for manoeuvre. A point midweek and a win next Saturday would be very good progress but even if we manage that or better (and given how the season has gone that's a big if) we'll still be off the pace and with teams above us having one or two games in hand.

I don't want to come across as trying to dampen the spirits but I worry when I see folk get so easily carried away that they are setting themselves up for a fall. We still clearly have a mountain to climb to get into the playoffs and I've noticed the speed at which some people's knees jerk or head's turn full circle on here is phenomenal. It's only a few weeks ago that certain players were being completely pilloried and having unfounded accusations made about their character and commitment (not by me I might add). This morning they are being talked about as worldy heroes!

Maybe it's to be expected from people after what has been a real Jekyll and Hyde season but I just wish there was a touch more sensible and rational objectivity.

And I am probably guilty of changing my thoughts more so than most.....Definitely a Jekyll and Hyde season, thats for sure. My thoughts will always remain the same regarding management but recently I have decided not to get too up tight about it. The situation is what it is, the team are where they are, hopefully long term we support a growing club. The best thing to do at the moment for me is to enjoy the game, enjoy the atmosphere, keep some hope for promotion and if we finish the season in a mediocre position then move on and look forward to the next. And if we get a few wins against the league favourites, league big guns then lets enjoy it in the meantime.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Dark Knight wrote:I saw this over the weekend in one of the papers about Manchester United's current predicament written by someone who has spent the last few years watching his team struggling to get that "coveted 4th spot" in the premier league but to be honest it could be applied to any team who has been struggling to meet expectation and it can definitely be applied on here:

Couldn't agree more
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:50 pm

trevdee wrote:The situation is what it is, the team are where they are, hopefully long term we support a growing club. The best thing to do at the moment for me is to enjoy the game, enjoy the atmosphere, keep some hope for promotion and if we finish the season in a mediocre position then move on and look forward to the next. And if we get a few wins against the league favourites, league big guns then lets enjoy it in the meantime.
    You're absolutely right, in fact that pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole thing right now. I'm also feeling relatively positive about our chances again and I agree we've got to just let it unfold over the next year or two. I think I just get irked when some people only come on when we win, not to celebrate or add anything other than a swipe at those who may have been critical. They're nowhere to be seen when we get dumped on.
    TownUltra
    TownUltra

Post by TownUltra Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:08 pm

Personally my feelings are that if you want to be downbeat / realistic about Town's chances then there is no problem with that.

I don't see anybody having a swipe at anybody for saying their opinions?

Me I'm always optimistic in any situation bad, indifferent or good. For me that helps me to believe that whatever situation I'm in it can improve / be better. Other people might be more suited to being more downbeat to be able to take disappointment more easily when it comes and that is fine.

I do though think that both optimism/ positivity and being downbeat/ negativity is contagious. I think that it's good to be positive if it makes other people happy/ spreads positivity makes everybody more upbeat/ motivated/ more likely to come to games/ more likely to play better. I know that when i read downbeat stuff about Town's chances it makes me feel more downbeat and depresses me. Fine if that's how people want to be but for me, I will always believe in making the best out of every situation and possibility. Just the way that I am. We are all brethren. There are not many Town fans in the World and we should take comfort in the fact that we all love and cherish the same thing. We are tribe. Doesn't mean to say I agree with everything that you post/ or should you with what I say.

COME ON TOWN- NOW LETS BEAT HEDNESFORD SO WE CAN GO WILD AND BE RIGHT BACK IN IT.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:59 pm