Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

4 posters

State of the pitch

trevdee
    trevdee

State of the pitch Empty State of the pitch

Post by trevdee Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:00 am

I thought since it is raining quite heavy outside I would talk about the state of the pitch.

I know we have had alot of rain recently but I'm sure we had better drainage on the sloping pitch (and someone will probably state the obvious here and say the rain ran off it). We have had heavy rain for the last few years but can't remember many games been called off due to rainfall, from memory it was only freezing conditions that was the cause of postponed games (correct me if I am wrong?).

We had a few nice days before the Brackley game yet the pitch looked really heavy and it cut up really bad so can't see it been great for the Stortford game or even holding out st all...Moving forward we are midway through October, really can't see a green future for it come the end of November.

I'm no grass expert so how do other clubs have immaculate pitches yet encounter the same rainfalls?
    TheNeil29

State of the pitch Empty Re: State of the pitch

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:00 pm

In my opinion, you will find that the majority of the other clubs have well established pitches and drainage systems that are used to coping with the current requirements of their respective clubs. Also, don't forget that in addition to having new turf laid, on a brand new pitch, the pitch underwent a total reconstruction in the close season. This was always bound to have an effect.

Until their is a decent break in the current weather and the pitch can cope with the demands expected of it, it will take a while for the pitch, turf and drainage systems to settle.

Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:08 pm

First year always the toughest for a new surface, 18 months to settle in - another summer of remedial work and cross drainage (going the other way) - the pitch is in very good hands
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:10 am

Agree completely with this. The club have spent a considerable amount of money to ensure that the facilities are up to scratch, including the pitch. I darent guess the figures that have been spent, but it will been a lot more than what most non-league clubs, including BSP teams will have spent on their facilities. The groundsmen do an absolutly terrific job, even with the current adverse weather, but there is only so much they can do.

I'm hoping to see some football in the next few weeks, but i'm not holding my breath. Just hope that the squad can deal with the backlog, especially if we are completing on a few fronts.
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:23 am

We've had a lot of wet weather this year. Perhaps with global warming it's a sign of things to come, however you can only design for what you think will happen and I reckon that our pitch and drainage isn't too bad (the England - Poland game was called off after all). However as I've said, we've had a lot of wet weather. I've got confidence that if there is a problem, then it'll be fixed.

But is it possible that the state of the pitch was responsible for the flood of goals against Brackley?

(I'll get my coat)

Post by Guest Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:16 pm

trevdee wrote:I thought since it is raining quite heavy outside I would talk about the state of the pitch.

I know we have had alot of rain recently but I'm sure we had better drainage on the sloping pitch (and someone will probably state the obvious here and say the rain ran off it). We have had heavy rain for the last few years but can't remember many games been called off due to rainfall, from memory it was only freezing conditions that was the cause of postponed games (correct me if I am wrong?).

We had a few nice days before the Brackley game yet the pitch looked really heavy and it cut up really bad so can't see it been great for the Stortford game or even holding out st all...Moving forward we are midway through October, really can't see a green future for it come the end of November.

I'm no grass expert so how do other clubs have immaculate pitches yet encounter the same rainfalls?

I have my doubts about the pitch. There are numerous examples of new pitches that cope fine with the demands of the weather. Locally, take a look at the pitches at Knaresborough Celtic, which are in much better shape.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:48 am

town supporter wrote:
    trevdee wrote:I thought since it is raining quite heavy outside I would talk about the state of the pitch.

I have my doubts about the pitch. There are numerous examples of new pitches that cope fine with the demands of the weather. Locally, take a look at the pitches at Knaresborough Celtic, which are in much better shape.

Re Knaresborough Celtic pitch. I'm a coach at Knaresborough Celtic and we had the same problems as Harrogate are having this year. The pitch didn't handle rain at all well last year had loads of games called off. We did at Celtic move our fixtures to other locations and treated our ground with kid gloves 1st season. This year its a 100% improvement. The ground needs time which it wont get a lot of this year next year expect a big improvement

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:11 pm