Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+3
paulstreet
Doggy
Guy Close
7 posters

Why not get behind the team?

Guy Close

Why not get behind the team? Empty Why not get behind the team?

Post by Guy Close Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:41 am

Just to offer another perspective, I don’t agree with the argument that the value of the club has gone down given the resources spent on improving the ground, bar, positive links developed in communities, etc. The important thing as far as this season is concerned must now be to stay up. There’s no doubt the club has under-achieved this season, although I don’t think Simon has been helped by the performances of some of the players, and if some of them looked in the mirror then they would know they’ve done the manager no favours.
    And I can’t understand the argument in favour of watching another team play instead. You support your local team through thick or thin, or at least that’s what I was always taught. By all means get annoyed, etc, but don’t turn your back on your team. I remember falling out with Alan Williams (which wasn’t hard!), and the point I always made to him was that I’ve been supporting the club a lot longer than him and I’ll be there long after. He never had much of a response to that. The thing is, whoever’s in charge, running the club, the same rule applies. If you’re not keen on the manager or the staff then get behind the players instead.
    Finally though, by talking directly to Simon, Irving, etc, you’ll find that they’re all working they’re b*ll*cks off trying to put things right. Getting behind them is far more productive than moaning, etc.
    Doggy

Why not get behind the team? Empty Re: Why not get behind the team?

Post by Doggy Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 am

Yeah fair comment, I myself was born in Shipley, West Yorkshire so from when I was a kid my Team is Bradford City A.F.C. I'm not a fair weather Bradford Fan, 42 years I've followed them Old Division 4 to Premiership and back down to League 2. I watch Town because I happen to live and work in Harrogate. I get to as many Live matches as I can to feed my passion. But I can not be passionate about watching rubbish, so when I get the chance a City comes first. And that from my point is fair, if I shell out my hard earned I want to some entertaining football into the bargain.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Yep, fair enough Guy. And I'll be there tonight, and win. lose or draw on Saturday as well. I don't doubt for a moment Irving and Simon's committment etc. But (cliche or not) football is a results game and we ain't getting them!
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:47 pm

They are trying to set the club up so that it is in a better position financially & run more like a business!
    This will benefit the club long term!
    i.e. whoever the Chairman or Manager are in the future!!!!
    When we were successful on the pitch years ago this wasn’t done to the level needed & we really could have been playing Northern Counties East football this season!
    If the club is run better financially this is likely to attract more investment in the long run!
    It has been a player in a player out system this season!
    The playing budget will be tighter than people think, not helped by long term injuries!
    We seem to have had a few to many “Cotton Wool” players this season as well!
    They are providing pieces of the jigsaw but need the Harrogate public to add a few more & put them together!!!!

TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:19 am

I fully agree with Doggy's comments. I want to be really positive about things, but we have had 3 seasons of under achievement now, which for the majority of home games, I have been there, supporting the team through thick and thin, but I cannot be passionate about watching rubbish football, and a manager who cant motivate his players, but then he signs the players, so ultimately, the issue lies with the manager.

Its all nice and good having a sound financial infrastructure in place, and improving things around the club, but its the performances on the pitch that really matters, and if the manager cant improve the performances, then what chance do we have of success in the future?

I am fully aware that it will take time and effort, but it's been 3 years now, and if anything, it hasnt improved. Apart from the improved infrastrcuture.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 am

The attendance of 175 last night shows that it is results that count, and lots of potential supporters clearly stayed away. Last night was pretty spectacular but we have been here before (beat Colwyn Bay by a 4 goal margin remember), we need some consistency. Saturday's attendance should be interesting: very few VM fans (I assume), so the crowd that turns up will be virtually all local. Will last night's 6 goals (that is SIX), add a few to the gate? Probably. So what we do NOT need to do is blow it and lose against VM (who are improving themselves). I remember when Bill gave free admission against Workington after we had won the league (I think), over 1000 came, and we lost 1-0 and played rubbish! Great opportunity lost.
    Victory on Saturday should make us 95% safe, a good performance (and goals!) will raise our profile. No pressure then lads. Smile
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:13 am

My decision to go last night was based on the fact that I'm having something delivered on Saturday and therefore might not be able to go Sad - (that and the crepe tv Laughing ) So that's 174 for Saturday then.

As paul says, we have been here before. I just hope we learn from our good points and keep going this time (if that makes sense)
    ChrisM
    ChrisM

Post by ChrisM Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:34 am

Shame we flopped vs VM, but now we must get behind the team. I'm gonna be there singing my lungs out! Very Happy
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:41 am

Hear, hear Chris. Time to put grumbling behind us (till Monday maybe!), and get behind the team. I want Blue Square North football next season, lets all push for those 3 points tomorrow cheers
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:03 pm

A win is vital tomorrow, because if you see the remaining fixtures. I dont really fancy our chances....
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Worrying that Workington are signing new players right, left and centre, they are determined to stay up as well!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:35 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That spells trouble. Some of those boys have a bit of pedigree behind them....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:50 am