Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

4 posters

Realistic alternative to current rubbish being servde up!

Realistic alternative to current rubbish being servde up! Empty Realistic alternative to current rubbish being servde up!

Post by Guest Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:01 pm

I just wondered how many others would (like me) prefer to see Weaver given his marching orders and the club operate on a reduced budget, even if that means in the league below?

I honestly can’t remember the last time I enjoyed watching Harrogate Town play, but it certainly wasn’t under Weaver’s reign. The latest game against Corby served up more misery. Corby were poor, but sadly we were even worse. Bloomer at right back was hardly an inspired choice (not least because he’s not a right back, but then again he’s already played centre forward so who cares about that), Ellington on the wing again is disappointing enough but more so when our best player, a winger is on the bench! No urgency, not even when with 5 mins to go – Cook delaying throwing the ball out to Roma a prime example of this. No anticipation or pressure on opposing keeper, etc – if we do ever get round to taking a shot then who’s following it up – not one of the Town players you can be sure. Weaver accusing players of not doing their assigned jobs – from where I was sat it didn’t look like they even knew what their jobs were. Lack of communication – apart from when Bloomer telling Toner to ‘f*ck off’ but that’s not really what I meant. Which brings me on to poor team spirit – quite evidently the players don’t want to be there which makes me question why I need to be there. Player fall outs with the manager, particularly if you happen to play in goal and a lack of understanding and experience by Weaver in addressing players’ concerns. Obscure team selections, would anyone be surprised if at the next game it was announced that Cook would be playing upfront as he used to play there for his local under 9’s team? Lack of tactical nous – losing 1-0, no idea what to do next so Pell is a big lad, send him upfront and see what happens. For most of the game Corby only had 1 man upfront yet we had 3 players back marking him – totally unnecessary. These are just some of the issues but there’s plenty more. Who else would rather have a team consisting of local players such as Colin Hunter, Jon Maloney, Chris Ellerker, Dave Thomas and Adam Nowakowski playing week in week out, guided by a manager who knew what he was doing? Ok, we might not be Conference North standard but I’m sure it would be a lot more enjoyable that the present situation and who knows, it might even present an opportunity to reduce the ridiculously high cost of admission.

Don’t let Fotherby and Williams kid you that we’re best making do with Weaver – there’s always an alternative.
    Ball and Socket

Realistic alternative to current rubbish being servde up! Empty Re: Realistic alternative to current rubbish being servde up!

Post by Ball and Socket Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:52 pm

Very well put TS. Can anyone throw some light on the meeting between the Club and Harrogate Council at the ground last Friday?
    Are we a step closer to a new ground? Any comments from those in the know out there? Come on share the gossip!!
    JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Realistic alternative to current rubbish being servde up! Empty Re: Realistic alternative to current rubbish being servde up!

Post by JackHTFC Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:35 pm

Town Supporter, Very well put on a reduced budget. The right man in charge can still do the job and better than Weaver. All they need is a manager with a couple of qualifications, is tactically aware and have a good few contacts so we can sign some decent players
    also just found this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] NO CHANCE

and Ball and Socket, didnt even know there wa a meeting and they were probaly discussing location??
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:46 am

I agree with TS. I still go, but have not really enjoyed it for quite a well, only guilt stops me transferring my footballing affections elsewhere!
    I would much rather that we dispensed with SW's services (he has had 18 months to prove himself with little sign of progress), and if that means losing his father's money, well so be it. Yes we'd probably struggle to stay in the BS North next season, but I think a lot of the fans would feel that we had 'got our club' back and some of the 'lost ones' might come back. Anyway nowt wrong with the Evo-Stik Premier, lots of local derbys, 'big' teams like FC United and (soon) Chester FC etc. Sounds good to me Smile

Post by Guest Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:57 am

Just a bit of fun but taking the reduced budget, young / local players theme one stage further, how's about something like this:

Goal – M Cook – good prospect, certainly worth keeping
    RB – L Shepherd – quick and skilful, currently at Bradford P.A.
    LB – R Coleman – perhaps an unrealistic signing but without doubt worth a go
    CB – R Pell (capt) – one of only a handful of current players who deserve to wear the town shirt. Also, one of the top defenders in the league, would provide much needed experience and leadership qualities to an otherwise young team
    CB – C Ellerker – solid and reliable, rarely put a foot wrong
    CM – A Nowakowski – good, local prospect, potential to play at higher level
    RW – L Durham – pacey winger, struggled with injuries, now at Railway
    CM – D Thomas – never really given a chance under Aspin, currently at Knaresborough
    AM – J Maloney – bagging goals for fun at Railway!
    STR – D Holland – Town legend agrees to return on reduced wages!
    LW – C Hunter – skilful winger, albeit getting on a bit, currently at Railway

Subs –

DEF – J Radcliffe – local full-back, unsure of current club?
    R G/K – J Myers – reserve keeper, I’m presuming local?
    MID – P Stansfield – ex town player, currently at Railway
    ATT – M Smith – who better to send on when a goal down with 10 mins to go!

Manager –

J Deacey – Currently managing Bradford P.A., Deacey is a town legend.
    JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Post by JackHTFC Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:03 pm

Am I right in saying fotherby was the reason Aspin left
    sagalout

Post by sagalout Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Good post TS. I feel very much the same. This is the first season I haven't been bothered if I miss a game. Normally footy afternoons / evenings are cast in stone and I only miss one or two a season. This season I haven't really cared if football is on or off, and if friends or even the mrs have asked me to do other stuff like cycling or shopping I've gone along with it.

To me the league we're in isn't important. Lets face it, theres very little difference in terms of 'glamour' between the Evo stick and conference premier. Its all full of towns I've never heard of. I'd rather just turn up and watch a bunch of players that I can actually remember and identify with as 'my team' - I turn up at the moment and haven't got a clue who half the players are - I feel like I'm just watching as a neutral.....which isn't how football should feel, and is a long way from the days of Aspin when you could name at least 9 of the starting 11 before you turned up to the game.
    JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Post by JackHTFC Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Sagalout, I agree that The Evo stick is debatably better than our league just look at Halifax town (or mini Harrogate they have aspin and holland) They get bigger attendances and play very well

We should focus on this season trying to stay up. Hopefully Weaver will be gone after summer and the club could take a big U-Turn and rebuild itself in preparation for next season as it will be starting from fresh and the league table will be reset.
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Bill Fotherby is keeping his hands in his pockets in case the 'New Ground' actually becomes a reality. In the meantime Simon Weavers father is bankrolling the squad. He will be going nowhere fast while his dad is dipping into his own pocket!!
    JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Post by JackHTFC Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:51 pm

that's the problem with the board all loving one another they'd just reward them self for everything they do so no one will be leaving as long as their in charge Mad
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:28 am

Some really good posts on this strand: frustrating isn't it? I guess virtually all the fans feel the same but there is nothing we can do about it! Love your Fantasy XI Town Supporter (and the manager!), I'd pay good money to watch that team Smile
    Meanwhile back in the real world, we are now 16th and falling. Its a darn good job only two teams go down this season or we would now be in a real relegation battle. All we need now is for Stafford Rangers to go on a winning streak and we will be in real trouble!
    JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Post by JackHTFC Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:03 pm

we need a win streak. I know it's a point but draws at this stage simply isn't good enough

Some sense coming from weaver [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] sorry about the web adress we must lose its yorkshire posts fault

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:15 am