Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

4 posters

Town vs Northwich Victoria

gedmaloney

Town vs Northwich Victoria Empty Town vs Northwich Victoria

Post by gedmaloney Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:37 pm

Is there any hope?
    All very quiet after the Northwich game so thought I would get the ball rolling.
    We played well for the 1st 20 minutes until we scored a super goal from Dave Syers. Then we sat back, gave away the traditional free kick which led to a goal, and could quite easily have folded after the goal given there was nothing to play for.
    Credit to the whole team that they came out for the 2nd half and had a real go - there keeper pulled off 3 top quality saves before Dave Syers notched number 2 - great shot from the dge of the area.
    We created numerous chances then had the traditional last 5-10 minutes where we performed a passable take of John Wayne at the Alamo - brave saves from Steven Hernandez, last ditch defending and good positioning by the woodwork enabled us to record a win which ends the season on a positive note.
    Positives - defence have taken a fair amount of criticism lately, unfairly in my opinion. Blooms has been rock solid and Simon Sturdy will never match Usain Boult for pace would probably beat him 10 times out of 10 in the air. Won everything yesterday and Liam, not a left back, did a cracking job.
    Midfield - Dave Syers and Fozzie look a great partnership and I hope we can keep both of them. Challenge for the management but hope springs eternal - Adam won everything in the air and whilst not in my opinion the finished article, you have to bear in mind that 12 months ago he was practically playing Sunday League football and now is performing in the engine room in a bloody tough league. If he was a racehorse Timeform would have a capital P next to his name (P = likely to show considerable improvement).
    Up front I still think we need to find the right foil for Lee Ellington but wouldn't it have been interesting to have seen season injured Luke working the right flank. I like Knoxy but will he want to play / put in 100% for us in the Unibond? I hope so as it will be vital we get off to a good start next season.
    One cast iron certainty - I would expect us to be the fittest 95 minute team in the Unibond next season with a view to scoring not conceding goals in the last 5 minutes.
    One last point of view on the goalkeepers - both great lads and full marks to Steven yesterday for pulling off a number of key saves but do we need a 6 foot plus like their keeper who picked out everything in the air and really commands his box. Difficult one!

Have promised myself not to get into the "what if" type discussions, but the last 4 games could quite have easily been WWWW - we may not be far off but relegation is a difficult pill to swallow.

Final, final comment - congratulations to those diehard Town fans who have stuck with the team through this years "thin" season - lets remember it will make the journey back up that bit more enjoyable.

Tally Ho!!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

Town vs Northwich Victoria Empty Re: Town vs Northwich Victoria

Post by Big Red Machine Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Nice post there Ged.
    j2021

Post by j2021 Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:58 pm

Yep i agree with most things said above was a very good strong battling performance, someting that we have been lacking most of the season, we were actually getting to the ball first and getting stuck in.
    Hernandez had a good game caught everything and made 2 vital saves at the end,
    Shephard looked quality and LB and can really head the ball for such a little guy, the centrebacks were solid and maloney's ball for the first goal was outstanding why havnt we been playing attacking full backs all season.
    SYERS! I really hope we keep him for next season a goalcoring midfielder is whaT WE'VE been lacking the last few seasons tbh, foster looked good kept it on the ground well, adam played o.k not hsi best game but won everything in the air, should try keep the ball on the ground abit more tho as he plays too many high balls at times.
    Cahill had a qualtiy game put in a 100% effort and i cant fault him at all yesterday just what we need at this club, Same with knoxy he closes everything down and is just a constant threat with his power those 2 up front next season wud be a great partnership, i was unimpressed with ellington yesterday he had a shocker just his 1st touch wasnt good and everything he tried didnt come off and why do we still aim for him in the air, when knoxys on the pitch :S

Anyway, a good performance and great way to sign off thr season, lets hope we can continue this win into next season, wherever we may be, Good Luck Weaver, ill be right behind you next season, please try and keep hold of the main players .
    Johnny
    Johnny

Post by Johnny Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:54 pm

BBC Sport article: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 11:13 am