Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+7
Championship Manager
Innocent Bystander
paulstreet
A1 drifter
Chips97
Dark Knight
rangerider
11 posters

Next Season

Innocent Bystander

Next Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Next Season

Post by Innocent Bystander Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Nobody has yet mentioned the disappearing chips at the start of the season? Perhaps therein lies the reason for the dodgy runs of results at key points during the season? Just saying!
    OllieRiley
    OllieRiley

Post by OllieRiley Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:45 pm

town supporter wrote:
    OllieRiley wrote:
    town supporter wrote:
    OllieRiley wrote:North Ferriby, who have been the standout team this year, have two good strikers in Jarman and Ant Wilson, that's it. The rest of their team are pretty average in my opinion. If we can learn from them and just sign two prolific goal scorers then we can get promoted easily next year, especially if we can keep Bolder and if possible Woodsy. We smashed 5 past North Ferriby and they stilled looked a threat. I would like to see a player who is proven to score goals in THIS league come in e.g Reeves or Newsham. If we bring in someone from a higher league then it would take them a while to adjust.  

It's a good point Ollie.  Earlier in the season I posted a link to an article from the North Ferriby manager who was adamant that their wage bill wasn't as big as many people thought as they'd invested in quality rather than quantity.  When Aspin was manager at Town he opted to invest in quality over quantity, perhaps taking the approach too far, as we lacked strength and depth towards the end of the season.  

Personally, I would hope Simon demonstrates a bit more imagination than simply signing Jarman, Reeves or Newsham, who will command some of the biggest wages in the league and drain the playing budget.  

Yeah but thinking about it, do we actually need amazing star players in our squad? Isn't our squad good enough all ready? I just pose the question because beating the top teams hasn't been an issue, but playing the poor, mid to lower teams in the league, we've haven't been able to produce results.

I definitely think this squad is good enough to have won the league this year if we had been more consistent. It doesn't take a bunch of superstars to beat sides like Worcester or Gloucester or Stalybridge or Vaxhaul Motors or Eccleshill for that matter! So that makes me more confident for next year, if we can shut out the mistakes and win when expected, then we can do really well next year.

Take Boston for example, they haven't done well at all against the top teams, but have made no mistakes against the others.

A few changes are needed to compete for promotion.  A couple of decent wingers and defensive support for Heath and Killock.  Personally, I’d prefer someone like Dom Roma to Dwyane Samuels as he offers more defensive stability.  A proven goalscorer to play alongside Ash is also required.  

But it doesn't stop there and the more fundamental issues as i see it go beyond the playing squad.  This is about Simon getting the best from his players, saying the right things at the right time and getting the players fired up and motivated.  Making the ones that aren’t playing still feel important because good team spirit is essential.  Instilling a feeling that they’re all in it together. Perfecting the art of playing badly, but doing enough to come away with a victory.  Having a clear idea about the strongest starting XI so that the team can develop some consistency.  When we do get a poor result, not singling out particular players or dropping them to the bench, especially attacking players who thrive on goals and where confidence is such an important part of their game.  Moving the ball with greater pace and hitting the opposition on the break with far greater urgency and intent.   Improving how we defend leads and shutting up shop.  Anyone remember Aspin bringing on Phillpot for the last 10 min whenever we went a goal up?  More often than not we’d see out the game.  Under Weaver I’m never convinced that will happen.  So there you go, more work to be done other than just signing a few star individuals.

Yeah your spot on actually. There's more to it than meets the eye in football. Simon doesn't help the team by constantly rotating the squad. I do wonder what Simon says in the dressing room at half time and before matches because I see know change in the players attitude or their performance after Simon speaks to them.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:07 pm

Out of respect to the league (and Telford!), we obviously have to play our strongest team on Saturday (whatever that is), but our final two games are now more or less irrelevant, completing the fixtures jobs, neither team has anything really to play for. I would really like to see Peter Crook play in those two games, I mean, why not? Are any of our under 21's anywhere near ready? Lets have a couple of them on the bench at least.

I suspect Simon already has a pretty good idea who is staying and going, lets see what the future has in store.
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:41 pm

Agreed - Peter Crook certainly deserves a shot in goal

Brazil is the country of the future ...... And always will be!

Perhaps Town are the Skrill North team of the future .... And always will be!
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:12 pm

town supporter wrote:

At the forum session earlier in the season, management said they were looking to achieve top 8.  Maybe they've achieved everything they set out to this season?
    And yet they launched the campaign with the slogan "This Is Our Season".

I'll be honest, I don't really think Irving and Son actually know what it is that they want.

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:12 pm

Irving and Simon have to be more than disappointed with a potentially 8th/9th place finish. I would agree if they think this was a successful season and set out with what they wanted to achieve, they are fooling both themselves and the fans who have paid good money to come and watch the team play home and away. I do think some of the players have let the side down alittle towards the back end of the season, the mounting injuries havent been helpful either, but no excuses, its been a hellish end of season and something has to be done pre season to sort out the so much promise and very little delivered atitude.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:12 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Our home record has been better this season but we might have to change our style of play if we really want to have a go at the title!
    You simply won’t get out of this league by trying to keep the ball on the ground all the time!
    The pitches are not good enough!
    We might have to become bigger & more direct @ times as well as playing football because that seems to be a proven formula for Liam Watson’s sides!
    It might also give you a better chance of staying up if you do get promoted!
    If you don’t score from or defend well at set pieces in this league you have no chance of promotion!
    Most of the sides above us play a more direct game & although it might not be as good to watch it gets results!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:21 am

Big Lundy wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Our home record has been better this season but we might have to change our style of play if we really want to have a go at the title!
    You simply won’t get out of this league by trying to keep the ball on the ground all the time!
    The pitches are not good enough!
    We might have to become bigger & more direct @ times as well as playing football because that seems to be a proven formula for Liam Watson’s sides!
    It might also give you a better chance of staying up if you do get promoted!
    If you don’t score from or defend well at set pieces in this league you have no chance of promotion!
    Most of the sides above us play a more direct game & although it might not be as good to watch it gets results!

A really good post – BigLundy has identified some key points here. Couldn’t agree more that it’s about knowing when to play football and when to be more direct. Not so much about one system works best, although I would argue that Simon has never developed a system for long enough to find out. Alfreton are a good example of how to mix things up – players with a physical presence but who can play football.

I’m also amazed given Simon’s experience as a defender how poor we are at defending set pieces. I’d expect us to be much better in that department next season. I still think we should be far more organised and tactically aware. It’s far too chaotic when we’re defending set pieces.

A lot of talk about the need to bring in a guaranteed goalscorer but I hope the club puts just as much emphasis on bringing in at least one proven quality wideplayer, because generally the delivery from wide areas this season has been poor and they’ve badly let down the guys upfront. As far as I’m concerned, all wide players with the exception of Mallory should go, no excuses. None of them are good enough or consistent enough.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:44 am

Mallory!  Shocked 
    Seen him play out wide on a number of occasions & he can’t get passed the full back’s!!!!!!!
     Embarassed 
    Clayton has potential, strength, a left foot, can knock a decent ball in, been short of match fitness lately & obviously has already signed a contract to be here next season!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:56 am

For the most part, Beckham couldn’t get past the full back and he did ok. He hit first time balls into the box so that opposition defenders didn’t have time to organise themselves. The point I’m trying to make is that we need better delivery from wide areas. Only Mallory is capable of providing quality deliveries into the box even if he's better utilised elsewhere. I stand by my point that we need to bring in a couple of quality wide players. None of the wide players we have at present are good enough or consistent enough.
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:56 pm

town supporter wrote:For the most part, Beckham couldn’t get past the full back and he did ok. He hit first time balls into the box so that opposition defenders didn’t have time to organise themselves. The point I’m trying to make is that we need better delivery from wide areas. Only Mallory is capable of providing quality deliveries into the box even if he's better utilised elsewhere. I stand by my point that we need to bring in a couple of quality wide players. None of the wide players we have at present are good enough or consistent enough.
    100% agree with Town supporter on this! Mallory is the only player who really can put a good ball in the box! New wingers needed.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:51 pm

Samuels would make the perfect winger...I do like Mallory for his delivery but he has been poor on too many occasions......Perhaps a lack of consistent games and formation or perhaps a lack of hunger. For me wingers don't need to be able to beat a full back, just as long as they are wise and are able to get up and down that field to help defensively just as much as they like to attack - engine and an eye for the right ball in are the key ingredients!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:55 pm

trevdee wrote:Samuels would make the perfect winger...I do like Mallory for his delivery but he has been poor on too many occasions......Perhaps a lack of consistent games and formation or perhaps a lack of hunger. For me wingers don't need to be able to beat a full back, just as long as they are wise and are able to get up and down that field to help defensively just as much as they like to attack - engine and an eye for the right ball in are the key ingredients!

Agree with you about Samuels! Always admired his work rate and he's a very keen crosser of the ball......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:43 am