Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+7
Championship Manager
Innocent Bystander
paulstreet
A1 drifter
Chips97
Dark Knight
rangerider
11 posters

Next Season

rangerider
    rangerider

Next Season Empty Next Season

Post by rangerider Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:46 pm

Well if the recent games are any indication then i feel there could be a bit of an exodus of players next season so i would open this to the fans, who would you like to see stay? who would you like to see go? and who would you like to see come in? providing Irving puts his hand in his pocket like Ferriby and Alty to ensure we at least get into the play offs i would hate to see FC United of Manchester come in and win promotion at the first attempt, its long overdue for us to win promotion
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Next Season Empty Re: Next Season

Post by Dark Knight Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:54 pm

rangerider wrote:Well if the recent games are any indication then i feel there could be a bit of an exodus of players next season so i would open this to the fans, who would you like to see stay? who would you like to see go? and who would you like to see come in? providing Irving puts his hand in his pocket like Ferriby and Alty to ensure we at least get into the play offs i would hate to see FC United of Manchester come in and win promotion at the first attempt, its long overdue for us to win promotion
    Well I know everybody is slagging off most of the current squad at the moment but our only hope of a playoff place next season is to keep most of this squad together and add 2 or 3 top quality signings. It's called continuity. Unfortunately I don't think that is a word in Simon's vocabulary so what I expect is a raft of changes once again in the summer and lots of tinkering and more rubbish loan signings as the season goes on.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:03 pm

We need to look at our loan signings for sure, just because another club wants to sign a loan player, dosent mean we should step in and sign them instead, expecting them to be good.

I would try and keep most of the current squad together and show some unity as a team and squad to make up for the nosedive in form of recent 4 games. We need a proven goal scorer and a quality defender who can lead our defense. So my call would be to try our very hardest to keep who we have, and bring in another 2 or 3 players to strengthen key areas.

Sellars and Rowe looked promising on the wings in the Cup Final, let's keep them and work on that, with Cleveland in backup/Sub if needed.

Our defense is leaky, Killock is injured, Franks too. Merris is slowing, and Heath, the big man, needs a strong partner to support him, so thats a call for a defender right there. I really rate and love Samuels, he has real pace and on the ball skills, part of me thinks he might even make a better winger.

Do I honestly think Michael Woods and Adam Bolder will be with us next season? I reckon we will lose one of them for sure, and my feeling is Adam Bolder might decide to move on. Michael Woods I would expect to stay considering his injury and the time we have invested in him. I really want to keep Adam N, Anton B, perhaps allow Mallory to be a supersub situation, if not, do we need Bloomer and Mallory?

Strike force wise, We need service to Ashley Worsfold, he is potentially a future Championship player for sure, and he needs support around him to get the goals. Keep Him!

Chris Hall.... Oh man! I think we owe it to him to keep him but I also think we depend too much on him, when his confidence drops, so does his head and the goals. Liam Hardy is a fantastic choice for Supersub in that situation and he had 3 good chances at goal in the Cup Final, so I'd keep him. So we need a replacement for Chris Hall, Stefan Moore perhaps? someone of his speed and quality?
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Keep
    Adam Bolder - Such a good overall football player. A superb passer of the ball. Even after recent games still a keep for me.
    Adam Nowakowski - A Great defensive midfield player who will get stuck in for the team, Put his head on the line and is also starting to imporve his passing part of the team.
    Anton Brown - A big powerful defensive midfielder who will put his body on the line. On form at the moment. Keep it up Anton you deserve a contract.
    Ashley Worsfold - Improving every week. A skillful striker who is always going to take the defence on. A massive goal threat with great pace.
    Chris Hall - A strong and powerful striker who always is a goal threat for the opposition.
    Conor Sellars - Has the potential to be a great player. Good pace and a fantastic free-kick like the one against Leeds.
    Craig Macgillivray - One of the best keepers in the league.
    Dave Merris - Although Mezza is getting on a bit he still is a keep as he's still a consistent player who i able to get forward and back successfully. A good crosser of the ball as well. Such a good cross against Workington away.
    Dom Rowe - OOOOOO Pace to burn from this lad. Scares defences when he runs at them. Must KEEP!
    Leigh Franks - A cracking centre back who I believe should be a back up for Killock and Heath Although could get the nod over either as he is a powerful strong centre back.
    Matt Heath - Great leader and vocal centre back.
    Shane Killock - Captain fantastic and always is a great consistent player. Definite Keep for me.
    Steve Mallory - A fantastic set piece taker and just a generally great crosser of the ball. He also has skill to take players on. A versatile player who is such a good squad player. A definite keep.

Undecided?  scratch 
    Dan Clayton - A hard choice for me. Although he has pace to get past a player he just sometimes is out of the game. Needs to get himself involved more. I'd more likely keep Clayton.
    Craig Nelthorpe - Is a decent ball playing midfielder and can be skillful. Just not entirely sure about Nelly. Really is a tough choice.
    Matt Bloomer - Consistent back up to the first team and can lift the players spirits. But just not good enough really for a team fighting promotion.

Release
    Cleveland Taylor - Lacks pace, Can't take a player on...past it.
    Dwayne Samuels - Just feel there is better right backs out there and Dwayne although is a decent player just isn't good enough defensively. We need better for promotion.
    Liam Hardy - Not up to this league needs to be released. He's been given too many chances now. Just not good enough for a team going for promotion.
    Michael Woods - Can be a top player and a game winner! But I just want a more consistent player who will always be fighting for the win and be fit to play every game.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:43 pm

A fair analysis chips 97. Not a big fan of samuels. As good as he is going forward he's a lliability defensively Preferred Dominic Roma. Sellars is too lightweight, Rowe is too inconsistent. Franks is too injury prone. Hardy has been given sufficient chance to prove himself and isn't good enough at this level. Not sure about woods, plays when he wants to, other times barely notice him. Could be the manager though - who knows. Bloomer should be the first to go - about time we stated cutting the friends and family favours that runs right through the club.
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Taking a fairly narrow view of the question put by rangerider and concentrating only on proven and reliable strikers for next season (which seems to be the root of our problems, namely our inability to convert chances into goals) and although this might be slightly in fantasy land, I'd enquire seriously about Reevesie who seems to be very much playing second fiddle to Walshaw at Alty, Knowles who seems barely to get a look in at Burton and Gavin Cogden aka 'Mr. Consistent goalscorer' for Spennymoor Town. Also, a bit of a throwback, but what about Graeme Armstrong of Whitby, nearing 30 goals this season? At least we'd have a reliable penalty taker.

Goal creator - Platt from York City if he doesn't feature in Nigel's plans for the future?
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:57 pm

not wanting to jump on your bandwagon but i like the cut of your jib sir Laughing

Reeves is out injured but they still managed to win 6-1 away
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:20 am

Sensible words from A1 Drifter. Knowles and Platt have become marginal figures at their clubs, but would they give up full time football? If anything is to change next season, and Irving is serious about promotion, and not merely giving his son a job for life, then we have to be prepared to invest in two (not one) real quality strikers. He must have the money!

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:05 pm

I wouldnt want to lose Ash, or the big man Chris to another club, both Ash and Chris have so much more to offer the club, but they need service on the wings, and if you are going to bring in 2 strikers, who do you get rid of? Hall or Ash? Watching Ash lately is a absolute delight, you can tell he has so much more to come in his game for sure. Not sure why Sellars and Rowe didn't play on Saturday, but it was only when Taylor came onto the wings that play started to improve, topped off with some improved performances from Bolder and Woods too, actually quite looking forward to the close of the season now.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:26 am

I like both Hall and Worsfold, they have worked hard for us all season, and (a bit belatedly) they bagan to score more regularly, but, in the context of this league, I do not believe they are top quality. We will need to have three strikers next season, so one should stay (probably Worsfold), but we need a Reeves/Kendall/Jarman type striker if promotion is to be a serious prospect, actually we need two of them!

Ferriby went out and got them, so there is no reason we should not...we have the resources I assume.
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:39 am

Jarman's weekly wage > the weekly wage bill for Harrogate's starting eleven
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:50 am

Wages are always a fascinating 'secret' issue aren't they? I have always assumed (maybe completely wrongly) that our lads are on about £300 a week. And someome like Jarman will be on about £500. Pure speculation on my part.
    Championship Manager
    Championship Manager

Post by Championship Manager Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:58 am

On the subject of wages, just trim the squad back. How many wingers do we have on the books? Rowe, Taylor, Clayton, Sellars, Mallory, Nelthorpe, Hardy, I know some play in other positions but surely we don't need all of them especially when we have loan players and players at Railway or even U21s that could do a job on an emergency basis. It has to be quality not quantity next season.
    OllieRiley
    OllieRiley

Post by OllieRiley Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:08 am

North Ferriby, who have been the standout team this year, have two good strikers in Jarman and Ant Wilson, that's it. The rest of their team are pretty average in my opinion. If we can learn from them and just sign two prolific goal scorers then we can get promoted easily next year, especially if we can keep Bolder and if possible Woodsy. We smashed 5 past North Ferriby and they stilled looked a threat. I would like to see a player who is proven to score goals in THIS league come in e.g Reeves or Newsham. If we bring in someone from a higher league then it would take them a while to adjust.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:53 pm

The squad has got rather bloated, and probably needs to be trimmed next season (I know injuries are always an issue). We know that Neil Aspin (and how brilliantly are Halifax doing under his stewardship), used to spend his budget on a small, quality squad, fine until tiredness etc. kicked in late on. The loan market hasn't worked out for us this season (Abbott was good, but went too soon), and Jamal Smith (baffingly) hasn't been given a real chance.

In the summer the seriousness of the club's intentions will be revealed by which strikers we sign. I really hope we don't hear Irving say that 8th would be a successful season again! Please raise your sights.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:55 pm

Chips97 wrote:Keep
    Adam Bolder - Such a good overall football player. A superb passer of the ball. Even after recent games still a keep for me.
    Adam Nowakowski - A Great defensive midfield player who will get stuck in for the team, Put his head on the line and is also starting to imporve his passing part of the team.
    Anton Brown - A big powerful defensive midfielder who will put his body on the line. On form at the moment. Keep it up Anton you deserve a contract.
    Ashley Worsfold - Improving every week. A skillful striker who is always going to take the defence on. A massive goal threat with great pace.
    Chris Hall - A strong and powerful striker who always is a goal threat for the opposition.
    Conor Sellars - Has the potential to be a great player. Good pace and a fantastic free-kick like the one against Leeds.
    Dave Merris - Although Mezza is getting on a bit he still is a keep as he's still a consistent player who i able to get forward and back successfully. A good crosser of the ball as well. Such a good cross against Workington away.
    Dom Rowe - OOOOOO Pace to burn from this lad. Scares defences when he runs at them. Must KEEP!
    Leigh Franks - A cracking centre back who I believe should be a back up for Killock and Heath Although could get the nod over either as he is a powerful strong centre back.
    Shane Killock - Captain fantastic and always is a great consistent player. Definite Keep for me.
    Steve Mallory - A fantastic set piece taker and just a generally great crosser of the ball. He also has skill to take players on. A versatile player who is such a good squad player. A definite keep.

Undecided?  scratch 
    Dan Clayton - A hard choice for me. Although he has pace to get past a player he just sometimes is out of the game. Needs to get himself involved more. I'd more likely keep Clayton.
    Craig Nelthorpe - Is a decent ball playing midfielder and can be skillful. Just not entirely sure about Nelly. Really is a tough choice.
    Matt Bloomer - Consistent back up to the first team and can lift the players spirits. But just not good enough really for a team fighting promotion.

Release
    Dwayne Samuels - Just feel there is better right backs out there and Dwayne although is a decent player just isn't good enough defensively. We need better for promotion.
    Liam Hardy - Not up to this league needs to be released. He's been given too many chances now. Just not good enough for a team going for promotion.
    Michael Woods - Can be a top player and a game winner! But I just want a more consistent player who will always be fighting for the win and be fit to play every game.

From what I have seen this season, this would be my list:

Keep:

Crook
    Bolder
    Nowakowski
    Brown
    Worsfold
    Merris
    Franks
    Killock
    Heath
    Samuels
    Clayton
    Mallory
    Woods
    Cartman

Undecided:

Sellars
    Rowe
    McGillivray

Release

Hall
    Rowe
    Nelthorpe
    Bloomer
    Hardy
    Metcalfe
    Taylor
    Youhill (if he actually is still registered to us??)

Post by Guest Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:14 pm

OllieRiley wrote:North Ferriby, who have been the standout team this year, have two good strikers in Jarman and Ant Wilson, that's it. The rest of their team are pretty average in my opinion. If we can learn from them and just sign two prolific goal scorers then we can get promoted easily next year, especially if we can keep Bolder and if possible Woodsy. We smashed 5 past North Ferriby and they stilled looked a threat. I would like to see a player who is proven to score goals in THIS league come in e.g Reeves or Newsham. If we bring in someone from a higher league then it would take them a while to adjust.  

It's a good point Ollie. Earlier in the season I posted a link to an article from the North Ferriby manager who was adamant that their wage bill wasn't as big as many people thought as they'd invested in quality rather than quantity. When Aspin was manager at Town he opted to invest in quality over quantity, perhaps taking the approach too far, as we lacked strength and depth towards the end of the season.

Personally, I would hope Simon demonstrates a bit more imagination than simply signing Jarman, Reeves or Newsham, who will command some of the biggest wages in the league and drain the playing budget.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:29 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:

Undecided?  scratch 

Release

Keep:

Crook
    Bolder
    Nowakowski
    Brown
    Worsfold
    Merris
    Franks
    Killock
    Heath
    Samuels
    Clayton
    Mallory
    Woods
    Cartman

Undecided:

Sellars
    Rowe
    McGillivray

Release

Hall
    Rowe
    Nelthorpe
    Bloomer
    Hardy
    Metcalfe
    Taylor

agree with all that Neil, although i'd extend the release list to Samuels, Sellars and Rowe, but I'd hope to retain MacGillivray. I'm undecided on Franks and Clayton.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:31 pm

paulstreet wrote: I really hope we don't hear Irving say that 8th would be a successful season again!  Please raise your sights.

At the forum session earlier in the season, management said they were looking to achieve top 8. Maybe they've achieved everything they set out to this season?

Post by Guest Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:33 pm

paulstreet wrote:Wages are always a fascinating 'secret' issue aren't they?  I have always assumed (maybe completely wrongly) that our lads are on about £300 a week. And someome like Jarman will be on about £500.  Pure speculation on my part.

i think you could safely double that figure for Jarman. Can anyone remember what Irving said at the forum session earlier in the season? I'm sure he gave a pretty good idication of what he was taking there.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:44 pm

town supporter wrote:
    TheNeil29 wrote:

Undecided?  scratch 

Release

Keep:

Crook
    Bolder
    Nowakowski
    Brown
    Worsfold
    Merris
    Franks
    Killock
    Heath
    Samuels
    Clayton
    Mallory
    Woods
    Cartman

Undecided:

Sellars
    Rowe
    McGillivray

Release

Hall
    Rowe
    Nelthorpe
    Bloomer
    Hardy
    Metcalfe
    Taylor

agree with all that Neil, although i'd extend the release list to Samuels, Sellars and Rowe, but I'd hope to retain MacGillivray.  I'm undecided on Franks and Clayton.

I think with McGillivray, I just havent been convinced. There is no doubt he is an excellent shot stopper, but sometimes, his decision making leaves a lot to be desired. For example, I was stood by the dugout on Saturday, and Simon was constantly communicating with him, telling him what to do, and that isnt the first time this season it has been that way when I have been stood there.

I would really like to see Peter Crook given a chance between now and the end of the season, as I think he is a very good goalkeeper, who deserves a chance, and when he has been given a chance in the team, he has performed well.
    OllieRiley
    OllieRiley

Post by OllieRiley Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:23 pm

town supporter wrote:
    OllieRiley wrote:North Ferriby, who have been the standout team this year, have two good strikers in Jarman and Ant Wilson, that's it. The rest of their team are pretty average in my opinion. If we can learn from them and just sign two prolific goal scorers then we can get promoted easily next year, especially if we can keep Bolder and if possible Woodsy. We smashed 5 past North Ferriby and they stilled looked a threat. I would like to see a player who is proven to score goals in THIS league come in e.g Reeves or Newsham. If we bring in someone from a higher league then it would take them a while to adjust.  

It's a good point Ollie.  Earlier in the season I posted a link to an article from the North Ferriby manager who was adamant that their wage bill wasn't as big as many people thought as they'd invested in quality rather than quantity.  When Aspin was manager at Town he opted to invest in quality over quantity, perhaps taking the approach too far, as we lacked strength and depth towards the end of the season.  

Personally, I would hope Simon demonstrates a bit more imagination than simply signing Jarman, Reeves or Newsham, who will command some of the biggest wages in the league and drain the playing budget.  

Yeah but thinking about it, do we actually need amazing star players in our squad? Isn't our squad good enough all ready? I just pose the question because beating the top teams hasn't been an issue, but playing the poor, mid to lower teams in the league, we've haven't been able to produce results.

I definitely think this squad is good enough to have won the league this year if we had been more consistent. It doesn't take a bunch of superstars to beat sides like Worcester or Gloucester or Stalybridge or Vaxhaul Motors or Eccleshill for that matter! So that makes me more confident for next year, if we can shut out the mistakes and win when expected, then we can do really well next year.

Take Boston for example, they haven't done well at all against the top teams, but have made no mistakes against the others.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:44 pm

It was our home form last season that stopped us getting to the playoffs and its the same this season dropped two many points to average sides this has to be addressed for next season, i said at the beginning of the season i didn't think our strike force was good enough and i was proved right, yes they have scored goals but not on a consistent basis, i do like Worsfold and i think he will show his worth next season but he needs quality with him something we have been lacking this season

Post by Guest Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:08 pm

OllieRiley wrote:
    town supporter wrote:

It's a good point Ollie.  Earlier in the season I posted a link to an article from the North Ferriby manager who was adamant that their wage bill wasn't as big as many people thought as they'd invested in quality rather than quantity.  When Aspin was manager at Town he opted to invest in quality over quantity, perhaps taking the approach too far, as we lacked strength and depth towards the end of the season.  

Yeah but thinking about it, do we actually need amazing star players in our squad? Isn't our squad good enough all ready? I just pose the question because beating the top teams hasn't been an issue, but playing the poor, mid to lower teams in the league, we've haven't been able to produce results.

I definitely think this squad is good enough to have won the league this year if we had been more consistent. It doesn't take a bunch of superstars to beat sides like Worcester or Gloucester or Stalybridge or Vaxhaul Motors or Eccleshill for that matter! So that makes me more confident for next year, if we can shut out the mistakes and win when expected, then we can do really well next year.

Take Boston for example, they haven't done well at all against the top teams, but have made no mistakes against the others.

A few changes are needed to compete for promotion. A couple of decent wingers and defensive support for Heath and Killock. Personally, I’d prefer someone like Dom Roma to Dwyane Samuels as he offers more defensive stability. A proven goalscorer to play alongside Ash is also required.

But it doesn't stop there and the more fundamental issues as i see it go beyond the playing squad. This is about Simon getting the best from his players, saying the right things at the right time and getting the players fired up and motivated. Making the ones that aren’t playing still feel important because good team spirit is essential. Instilling a feeling that they’re all in it together. Perfecting the art of playing badly, but doing enough to come away with a victory. Having a clear idea about the strongest starting XI so that the team can develop some consistency. When we do get a poor result, not singling out particular players or dropping them to the bench, especially attacking players who thrive on goals and where confidence is such an important part of their game. Moving the ball with greater pace and hitting the opposition on the break with far greater urgency and intent. Improving how we defend leads and shutting up shop. Anyone remember Aspin bringing on Phillpot for the last 10 min whenever we went a goal up? More often than not we’d see out the game. Under Weaver I’m never convinced that will happen. So there you go, more work to be done other than just signing a few star individuals.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Think we might still have Craig playing a few games for us next season on loan!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:37 am