Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+6
trevdee
thetallaccountant
Town youth
DanDeg
paulstreet
Big Lundy
10 posters

Gainsborough Trinity

Big Lundy

Gainsborough Trinity Empty Gainsborough Trinity

Post by Big Lundy Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:07 pm

The Gainsborough “Massive” are a coming!!!!!!
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
     Shocked 

Biggest game of the season so far!!!!!!!!!!!
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Gainsborough Trinity Empty Re: Gainsborough Trinity

Post by paulstreet Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:23 am

Certainly is. Anything less than a win pretty well ends our season as regards the play off race. All we can do now is keep our season going one game at a time, and just hope and pray other results go our way.
    DanDeg

Post by DanDeg Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:37 pm

it will be a library tomorrow for the first time in a while, not many of us can go

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:57 pm

Looking forward to another big game tomorrow.

Looking at the fixtures, most of the teams around us have fairly easy games so we must not drop any points here.
    Town youth
    Town youth

Post by Town youth Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:13 pm

Yeah we will need a lot of help behind the goal if we want an atmosphere everyone is away there is only about six of us
    thetallaccountant
    thetallaccountant

Post by thetallaccountant Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:05 pm

Didn't deserve any more than a point today either. Hall seemed to lack confidence and if he'd have scored his one-on-one early in the match it may have been different, but after a lacklustre first half to concede another soft goal from a defensive error put us up against it again. We had to gamble second half and Craig kept us in it at times with some excellent shot-stopping. Woods' introduction again sparked a bit of a revival (he did very well to field the rebound from his own header and put it on a plate for Worsfold to equalise.)

The two biggest disappointments for me are we only created about four chances all match at home against a pretty average outfit, and for the last three games we've not been playing much decent football either anywhere on the pitch, with plenty of long ball stuff. A link, perhaps?
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:43 pm

Clueless, gutless, spineless and zero passion!

Was clear from the games against Colwyn and Bradford that Adam and Anton shouldn't play together unless you can absolutely guarantee the wingers are on top notch form...Today it showed because every time when we attacked there was a gap of about 50 yards between our front two and the two central midfielders...Why were they so scared to push forward? Why were they just stood on the toes of the centre backs?

Who knows where Bolder was today, he should have been on that pitch with Woods from the 1st minute....I have to say it, Simon has buggered up this season, far far far too slow to respond.....Alty and Brackley have dispatched BPA with ease over the last 2 weeks, we didn't because we don't play our best players, simple and that will cost us big time.

Hope Adam N recovers, from distance seemed like a nasty injury.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:31 pm

I have to agree with you in part Trev, we should be playing our best team from the off, and that's playing Bolder and Woods from the start, Mallory had a truly awful game, I would of played Dominic Rowe, who didnt even have a sub role.

Samuels, Killock, Heath and Merris are our best defensive players. But we have to sort out our midfield and attack, its so messed up! They lack confidence, they lack direction, they lack team spirit and the 'spirit of the Atly' game has gone completely from them. They have to start believing they can win these games and start attacking the game from the off.

In midfield we need Woods and Bolder controlling the game with support from either Anton or Adam, on the wing, I would play Rowe, up front Hally and Worsfold backing them up in subs, Hardy, Mallory, Jalmal, Sellars and Clayton. Sellars can play the perfect touches of the ball and he is so fast on the wing, he would surely be competition for Rowe's place.

Where was Bolder today? and Dom Rowe? Why was Hally so down in confidence? whats happened the team spirit? they need to believe, they need to know they can win, they have the players, they have the chance still, but they need that belief!

Post by Guest Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:37 pm

My starting 11 next week would be (if adam is injured): Craig (GK) Samuels Killock Heath Merris (defence) Anton Woods Bolder Rowe (midfield) Hall Worsfold (strikers) subs: Hardy, Sellars, Nelthorpe, Clayton, Mallory

I would play Woods just behind Hally and Worsfold, feeding from Bolder and Anton, wing support from Rowe, who can be subbed for Sellars for added depth in second half if needed. Nelthorpe can slip into Woodsy position in a sub role too.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:14 pm

We where crap today clueless in midfield and could not believe that miss from Hall my wife could have scored from that he should know how to chip a ball with his experience, i think the top five is nearly sorted now Ferriby will win it now thanks to Jarmen and Alty will also be there thanks to Reeves and Walshaw see where i'm coming from Simon, its funny that the last two seasons a team will win promotion who have only spent one season in this league and how long have we been in it? just shows what you can do when you splash some cash on proven goalscorers, Boston will be there thanks to two players scoring 20 goals each so far, that was our last chance gone i'm afraid so my message to Irving is get your hand in your pocket next season and get us two prolific strikers
    mddYO7

Post by mddYO7 Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:52 pm

I think the analysis is a bit on the negative side, on this thread and also the other one about the match today.  There certainly were some disappointing features of today's performance and I think Simon make some poor choices - if Chris Hall goes off you have to change the way we move the ball forward but it did look like we didn't really know how to do that.  Shane Killock was excellent (good job too because Matt Heath had an off-day).  I also thought Dave Merris was fantastic in the second half.  I don't agree that the players looked lacking in desire - I think some of the issue was that they lacked some of the composure required, possibly because of the importance of the match.  Even today with a bit of luck (like a referee who could spot blatant handballs) it could have been different.    Gainsborough's centre backs were excellent all game.  I'd pretty much agree with the team Craig's outlined here for the next game.  It's not over yet by a long way.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:19 pm

believe me mate its over 8th place is the best we will get this year
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:46 pm

funny how eyes see it different ways..I thought Heath, Killock and Samuels were all poor and we wont get into the playoffs. If we do it will be a miracle.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:29 am

mddYO7 wrote:I think the analysis is a bit on the negative side, on this thread and also the other one about the match today.  There certainly were some disappointing features of today's performance and I think Simon make some poor choices - if Chris Hall goes off you have to change the way we move the ball forward but it did look like we didn't really know how to do that.  Shane Killock was excellent (good job too because Matt Heath had an off-day).  I also thought Dave Merris was fantastic in the second half.  I don't agree that the players looked lacking in desire - I think some of the issue was that they lacked some of the composure required, possibly because of the importance of the match.  Even today with a bit of luck (like a referee who could spot blatant handballs) it could have been different.    Gainsborough's centre backs were excellent all game.  I'd pretty much agree with the team Craig's outlined here for the next game.  It's not over yet by a long way.

It could have been different - it could have been worse if Gainsborough made the most of their chances. They hit the post and Killock was forced to make a last ditch tackle if you remember! Need a new right back, left sided midfielder and quality striker next season.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:11 am

mddYO7 wrote:I think the analysis is a bit on the negative side, on this thread and also the other one about the match today.  There certainly were some disappointing features of today's performance and I think Simon make some poor choices - if Chris Hall goes off you have to change the way we move the ball forward but it did look like we didn't really know how to do that.  Shane Killock was excellent (good job too because Matt Heath had an off-day).  I also thought Dave Merris was fantastic in the second half.  I don't agree that the players looked lacking in desire - I think some of the issue was that they lacked some of the composure required, possibly because of the importance of the match.  Even today with a bit of luck (like a referee who could spot blatant handballs) it could have been different.    Gainsborough's centre backs were excellent all game.  I'd pretty much agree with the team Craig's outlined here for the next game.  It's not over yet by a long way.

Sadly this forum does seem to run on negative comments & hidden agendas thats nothing to do with Football, I'm sorry you have to witness and read some of the it, but I wouldnt take too much notice, say we won 3-0, one or two on here would still be saying the same thing, All the players did well to get back into the game, and they didn't give up, and we came away with a point, matching Guiseleys result. Simon's been forced into another subsitution for the 3rd match in a row through 3 on pitch injuries, that unsettles the team and clearly, everyone last week was concerned for Ash, and this week, more so, Adam.

We are 6th with 6 matches to go, and only a point off 5th. The team need the belief they can do it, they have the desire, and the talent, and the ground needs to really get behind the team, too many long periods of quietness at home matches, The team needs that 'spirit of Alty' back, when they played such fantastic football and the fans was loud and proud. I'm not giving up hope yet, I believe we can still do it. We need to play our strongest teams, and make the best in Sub choices available, and then, barring forced changes like the last 3 games, pick the right sub for the right moment. Simon was clearly emotional after the match, you saw in his face, he knows. he wants it badly too. I'd say lets keep up the belief they can do it, get behind the team and manager, and dont give up because negative nelly says so every week.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:21 am

trevdee wrote:funny how eyes see it different ways..I thought Heath, Killock and Samuels were all poor and we wont get into the playoffs. If we do it will be a miracle.

I have to disagree with you Trev, I think if it wasnt for them, and especially in previous games, we would have been lower mid table at the moment. Killock lacking abit of match sharpness, played a decent 90 minutes and helped in the saving of at least 2 goal attempts. Samuels did pretty well on the wings too, he's super quick. He had a couple of moments yesterday when he wasnt his usual sharp self, but he helped massively in getting that equaliser, and Heath has been a General in defence. Team wise, it was a very bad day at the office clearly for both the team, and manager. I personally havent given up hope. But its going to be harder and harder each game, 6 left. We have to sort out our midfield and wings and get the support to the strikers. We could've been celebrating a 4-1 win last night, moments during the game we was all over the that goaline in the first half, I hope Hally is ok, he looked like his mind was elsewhere. he needs alot of belief, and when he misses his chances, he loses faith pretty quickly. Heads up guys, C'mon Town, BELIEVE!.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:31 am

Someone missing yesterday but didn’t miss the above game @ Gloucester last season!!!
    Injured in training?
     scratch
    Badger

Post by Badger Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:46 pm

Cant see us putting a good enough run together to make the play offs. Disappointing display from the majority of the team, no one stood out, and cant believe Anton got MOTM. I have to say i thought their number 6 was fantastic and id be happy to have in our squad any day.

A complete lack of creativity in the midfield means that we had to go long far too often and it was simply too predictable. I would have put Woods on at half time, he has great ability but flicks and tricks arnt going to win us games. Id love to think we could win all the remaining games but we simply dont have the talent of the confidence to put it together.
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:05 am

Just my personal opinion but single biggest factor = we lack creativity. Loss of Woodsy through injury was significant and he remains the key to Town having any chance of achieving a play off position. I would go xxxx or bust and give him a free role behind Ash and Hall and play Anton (holding) Nelly and Adam in midfield, defense Dwayne (orders to overlap like last season) Mallory (pace and positional brain) and Heath (aerial strength) with Mezz at left back.
    Adam Boulder on after 60 minutes for Woodsy who is still working towards full match fitness.

Fortune favours the brave cheers  cheers 

Post by Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:22 am

gedmaloney wrote:Just my personal opinion but single biggest factor = we lack creativity. Loss of Woodsy through injury was significant and he remains the key to Town having any chance of achieving a play off position. I would go xxxx or bust and give him a free role behind Ash and Hall and play Anton (holding) Nelly and Adam in midfield, defense Dwayne (orders to overlap like last season) Mallory (pace and positional brain) and Heath (aerial strength) with Mezz at left back.
    Adam Boulder on after 60 minutes for Woodsy who is still working towards full match fitness.

Fortune favours the brave cheers  cheers 

Inclined to agree with that.

Samuels clearly divides opinion though - for all the good he does going forward I prefer my right backs to offer more stability defensively, hence why I rate Roma so highly.

I must be one of bolder's biggest fans - sets the pace of the game - shouldn't underestimate how important he is to the team. A class act and a gem of a player at this level.

TS
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:09 am

One of the problems is that we always seem to lack the tactical nous to get ourselves back into matches. It ends up with a lot of frantic running about in the last few minutes.

I'm not going to be too critical because we have had a pretty good season, but its SO disappointing to watch us fizzle out yet again. Season after season it happens and it gets you down as a supporter.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:35 am