Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+6
rangerider
Innocent Bystander
Big Lundy
HTAFC Press Officer
gedmaloney
Mordecai
10 posters

Time to revamp the club badge?

Poll

Is it time to redesign the club badge?

[ 2 ]
    Time to revamp the club badge? Bar_left50%Time to revamp the club badge? Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Time to revamp the club badge? Bar_left0%Time to revamp the club badge? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Time to revamp the club badge? Bar_left50%Time to revamp the club badge? Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Time to revamp the club badge? Bar_left0%Time to revamp the club badge? Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 4
    Mordecai
    Mordecai

Time to revamp the club badge? Empty Time to revamp the club badge?

Post by Mordecai Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi folks, I hope I'm not flirting with controversy with this first post. I was just wondering how other people feel about the club badge. I don't dislike it but it does seem a bit old fashioned and slightly unwieldy with lots going on. I know us football fans can be troglodytes when it comes to change and in a lot of recent cases justifiably so (MK Dons, Cardiff City changing to red, Hull City Tigers etc etc) however I do feel the badge could be updated respectfully in a tasteful way and with the centenary coming up, what better time to do it? There have been some great redesigns in the last few years, I really liked Arsenal's new crest for instance. We have some seriously talented people in the town who I'm sure could come up with something really special and unique - a design classic perhaps - something that would look truly great and distinctive on hats, scarves and ties.

So what do you all think? Does this idea have legs or should I be taken out round the back and shot?!!! affraid 
    gedmaloney

Time to revamp the club badge? Empty Re: Time to revamp the club badge?

Post by gedmaloney Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:33 pm

Mordecai wrote:Hi folks, I hope I'm not flirting with controversy with this first post. I was just wondering how other people feel about the club badge. I don't dislike it but it does seem a bit old fashioned and slightly unwieldy with lots going on. I know us football fans can be troglodytes when it comes to change and in a lot of recent cases justifiably so (MK Dons, Cardiff City changing to red, Hull City Tigers etc etc) however I do feel the badge could be updated respectfully in a tasteful way and with the centenary coming up, what better time to do it? There have been some great redesigns in the last few years, I really liked Arsenal's new crest for instance. We have some seriously talented people in the town who I'm sure could come up with something really special and unique - a design classic perhaps - something that would look truly great and distinctive on hats, scarves and ties.

So what do you all think? Does this idea have legs or should I be taken out round the back and shot?!!!  affraid 
    affraid 
    Don't wish to appear Luddite but it is the Harrogate coat of arms - take him to the tower!!!!!!!!!
    Mordecai
    Mordecai

Post by Mordecai Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:59 pm

gedmaloney wrote:
    affraid 
    Don't wish to appear Luddite but it is the Harrogate coat of arms - take him to the tower!!!!!!!!!
    A redesign doesn't have to mean a radical change though. The coat of arms or elements of it could still be incorporated. I just think that the style is a bit out of date and from a merchandising point of view the badge is unwieldy. Certainly if someone were wanting to put the club badge on beanie hats and baseball caps for instance you'd want a slicker and simpler design.
    HTAFC Press Officer
    HTAFC Press Officer

Post by HTAFC Press Officer Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:55 pm

If only you know the trouble the club went through to use the badge in the first place!
    Mordecai
    Mordecai

Post by Mordecai Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:02 pm

HTAFC Press Officer wrote:If only you know the trouble the club went through to use the badge in the first place!
    I can well imagine. I mean you can't even build a Tesco in this town without tree hugging opposition!
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The club badge is the club badge!
    Explains where you are & where the majority of your support is from!
    The badge is past on from generation to generation!
    So should stay how it is.

Mordecai
    Mordecai

Post by Mordecai Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:59 pm

Big Lundy wrote:

The club badge is the club badge!
    Explains where you are & where the majority of your support is from!
    The badge is past on from generation to generation!
    So should stay how it is.

You'd be hard pressed to find a football club whose badge hasn't evolved.
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:16 pm

I kiss the Harrogate Town badge on my beanie every night before bed .......... My dad did the same ... And he was like a father figure to me
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:30 pm

I can think of a few changes that need to happen before we think about changing the badge

Post by Guest Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:42 pm

Utterly ridiculous suggestion. It seems you're better suited to supporting a premiership team. Not often a post winds me up as much as this one.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:59 pm

You could always make the orange part a slightly darker orange, then the current merchandise in the shop may sell at least...If you go in you will see what I mean!
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:01 pm

town supporter wrote:Utterly ridiculous suggestion.  It seems you're better suited to supporting a premiership team. Not often a post winds me up as much as this one.
    Twice in 1 day you've sort of agreed with me! Do I need therapy?affraid 
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:14 pm

You might need one of the CNG ice baths Ged
    Mordecai
    Mordecai

Post by Mordecai Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:32 pm

town supporter wrote:Utterly ridiculous suggestion.  It seems you're better suited to supporting a premiership team. Not often a post winds me up as much as this one.
    Put your pitch fork down for a second there fella. Nice welcome. Rolling Eyes 
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Wea'ar mainly Yorksha fowk on 'eear.

dooant worry youself abaht t' club badge son. gerr yursen joined intoa t' supporters club!

Smile
    Mordecai
    Mordecai

Post by Mordecai Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Big Lundy wrote:Wea'ar mainly Yorksha fowk on 'eear.

dooant worry youself abaht t' club badge son. gerr yursen joined intoa t' supporters club!

Smile
    I prefer to consider myself NORTH Yorkshire Razz 

As for the supporters club I keep clicking the link online but nowt ever happens! Like I say, things need to be slicker round here  Cool
    HTAFC Press Officer
    HTAFC Press Officer

Post by HTAFC Press Officer Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:57 pm

link works fine on my machine (I presume that we are talking about the club website) The page is under construction at the moment as I am awaiting information from the new Chairman.

kind regards,

Peter
    Mordecai
    Mordecai

Post by Mordecai Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:24 am

HTAFC Press Officer wrote:link works fine on my machine (I presume that we are talking about the club website) The page is under construction at the moment as I am awaiting information from the new Chairman.

kind regards,

Peter
    Ok, no worries. The website is largely excellent these days Cool 

gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Mordecai wrote:
    HTAFC Press Officer wrote:link works fine on my machine (I presume that we are talking about the club website) The page is under construction at the moment as I am awaiting information from the new Chairman.

kind regards,

Peter
    Ok, no worries. The website is largely excellent these days  Cool 

Always pleased to read from a new poster on the forum Mordecai - welcome! Be prepared for biting sarcasm and occasional good humour - you will definitely have thicker skin by the end of the season and can be guaranteed of a warm welcome down at the CnG. Don't forget to invite as many under 18s as possible for the game on Tuesday night.Basketball 
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:52 am

Don't mess with tradition in my opinion. We are not a big enough club yet for something like that to make an impact.
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:38 am

On second thoughts - portcullis above chip butty:cheers: 
    Mordecai
    Mordecai

Post by Mordecai Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:36 pm

gedmaloney wrote:
    Always pleased to read from a new poster on the forum Mordecai - welcome! Be prepared for biting sarcasm and occasional good humour - you will definitely have thicker skin by the end of the season and can be guaranteed of a warm welcome down at the CnG. Don't forget to invite as many under 18s as possible for the game on Tuesday night.Basketball 
    Believe it or not my first Town game was an early 90's midweek game against Guiseley I think. Back in the days when Mark Fenton was goalie (and also my P.E. teacher!) and Steve French was our "star" striker! It was a typical wet wednesday night, appalling football, we lost 3-0...it was a thoroughly miserable experience cheers 

Trying to spread the word as much as I can for Tuesday.
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Mordecai wrote:As for the supporters club I keep clicking the link online but nowt ever happens! Like I say, things need to be slicker round here  Cool
    So would I!

Unfortunately, as a lot of people don't seem to realise, the Supporters Club, like an awful lot of the Football Club is operated by volunteers.  Volunteers who have lives to lead and who give up some of their time to help the club forward.  We are not MK Dons, Cardiff City, Hull City Tigers or Arsenal - All of these (and many more) have full time or part time salaried staff in all positions - one League 1 club I know has 5 full time people running it's Supporters Club.

Peter is waiting for information from me.  I'd love to provide him with it, just as I'm sure he'd like to guarantee that it was put on the site as soon as I send it.  But he, like me and the rest of the Supporters Club also has other priorities in his life that take his focus away.  So while I believe he does a really good job, it isn't as immediate as if he was fully employed by the Football Club, full time and I think he'd agree.

Oddly enough, one of the things that's been holding up some of the items is exactly what the club badge is!  Sounds daft but it's true.  We now have that (we think) and can therefore move forward with some items.  So please do not change the badge.  It's taken long enough to get to this point.  Additionally, it's the coat of arms of the district which gives the club it's identity. Incidentally, who would design a new badge and how much would it cost?  I think the local police recently paid £100k.  Please don't say one of the supporters - others have been down that route and quietly dropped it.  You might be lucky and get a good one, more often than not, you don't.

Anyway getting back to the point I want to make, the Supporters Club is short of volunteers - not to serve on the Committee, we have a full complement - but to help out with raffles, tickets etc from time to time.  I hope that Mordecai will e-mail me on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] so that I can add his name to the very short list of volunteers that I have.  And the same goes for anyone else who would like to help the Football Club move forward more quickly.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Keep the badge and our yellow and black colours...some things should not change even whilst all around is changing (for the better, by the way.)
    Mordecai
    Mordecai

Post by Mordecai Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Point taken people. Embarassed 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:18 pm