Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

4 posters

What position do you/did you play and why?

Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

What position do you/did you play and why? Empty What position do you/did you play and why?

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:19 pm

A couple of comments on here got me thinking about my footballing history and wondering about the others on here.

I take the view that certain people are better suited to certain places on the football field and as such they tend to have slightly different views of a game.

Despite my Grandfather being heavily involved in his local team, my Father (his son) never went to a football game in his life and had no interest in doing so. Therefore when I started at Junior School I had no real idea of the positions on the field or in fact most of the rules! That was in the days when ONLY the FA Cup Final got anything approaching live coverage on TV and you might get a few highlights on Pathe News at the pictures. In my Form, there were only 11 boys so we all got a place in the Form's team. I was put in as Left Half because no-one else wanted that position.............

After a bit of practice I did ok without being anything outstanding. Then in the final year of Junior school, there were better players than me for that position (I was told) so I got moved to Left Back (no, not left back behind the goal). Hopeless. Totally hopeless.

Moved on to Senior School which was very much a rugby (and cricket) playing establishment. I've hated both games since then. The opportunities to play Soccer were few, particularly in the early years. However, they did allow you to play hockey. I did and found myself in the "inside left" position repeatedly. I'll point out that I'm right handed and footed but did practice a lot with the left as there were very few people who were cack handed at school.

Then one day, when I was in the 4th form (year 10 I think it's called now) there was a soccer tournament organised at school and my "House" was short of players so they asked me to fill in at inside left for the first match (league system). We defeated the favourites 6-3 and I scored 4 of those. The die was cast and we went on to win the tournament - I scored at least 2 in each match (6 teams). From then on, if any Football was played, I was approached to be inside left. Never got "House" or "School" colours though as Soccer was seen as a ruffians game and they didn't make awards to "that" kind Laughing 

Unfortunately University, Laziness, Girls and a growing interest in Motor Racing took it's toll on my Football but I played a few times for "Work" teams (even if I didn't actually "work" at the place I represented Wink ) but always as what has become a "Striker".

That was my most comfortable position so that's what I consider myself to be.

Anyone else?
    trevdee
    trevdee

What position do you/did you play and why? Empty Re: What position do you/did you play and why?

Post by trevdee Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:13 pm

I played centre back for the majority of my playing days.

Started out as a striker for a local u11's team in Scarborough, the manager soon realised I would be better suited somewhere else and plonked me at centre back as I was tall and lanky...Wouldn't say I was great to start off with but began to improve and got very vocal, so made captain.

I was then asked to represent Scarborough and District schools (where I played with the Dunning twins) and following that asked to represent East Yorkshire in a French Taurnament. Scarborough FC at this time where starting their youth setup and I had trials for Scarborough FC to attend their centre of excellence........I got selected and spent a few years training and playing for the youth setup, was lucky enough to play against the likes of Leeds Utd, Man Utd, Liverpool, even Dynamo Dresden and Spartac Moscow in a Sunderland tournament............got offered a YTS at Scarborough but it came at a time where I found nightclubs, women, fags etc and ended up been released after playing quite alot of football hungover ("when Saturday comes" style hangover).

Since then played bits and bobs of Sat/Sun league football and these days play quite alot of 5 a side footy which I really enjoy.
    A1 drifter

What position do you/did you play and why? Empty Re: What position do you/did you play and why?

Post by A1 drifter Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:50 pm

Right back and mean wiv it (in the days of any tackle goes) cos I wanted to be like Ron Harris.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:50 pm

Striker because my hero's where Jimmy Greaves and Kevin Hector

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:27 am