Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+6
nztownfan
Martin L
gedmaloney
Dan_Gleebitz
trevdee
TheNeil29
10 posters

HTFC vs Colwyn Bay

trevdee
    trevdee

HTFC vs Colwyn Bay - Page 2 Empty Re: HTFC vs Colwyn Bay

Post by trevdee Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:04 am

Perhaps his lack of any ability tampered with my mind then..........At least we all agree he was dire.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:09 am

From what I seen last night. I'm really disappointed. There were several players who didnt really produce the goods last night. We should have won this game, and it was a perfect opportunity to consolidate ourselves in the playoffs, but due to the players not being able to step up to the plate, and take off one of our best players, it was a real opportunity missed as I cant see us getting anything from Halifax and Chester. And just to rub it in, Altrincham and Halifax won last night.

I think Weaver will have given his players a rocket in the dressing room after last night. He also needs to admit he got it wrong taking Woods off. Any more performances like that after the Halifax and Chester games, and we wont get into the playoffs.

One step forward, two steps back.
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:57 am

While I agree with what you've written in general Neil (ie There were several players who didn't really produce the goods last night). I disagree about Woods. He was one of those who just wasn't in the game. In fact I've wondered about his ability since he joined. Runs down too many blind alleys for my liking.

However there are a lot of other players who ought to be embarrassed about their performances last night. There were far too many who seemed to be trying to impress rather than play football. Too many touches in general before doing something with the ball. For me only Merris, Knowles (particularly for his wing work!) and Killock came out with any brownie points. The others were just average at the very best - and I include the goalie in that.

Unfortunately non of the substitutes added anything with the possible exception of Bolland. Interesting debate about Chilaka. He definitely started up front in a 4-4-2 formation. He quickly drifted left and then DEFINITELY ended the first half in right midfield which is where he was when substituted. At that point we were playing 4-5-0-0-0-1. Chib may have been coming back to get the ball from our deep midfield and defence.

Colwyn were not a bad side, they were disciplined in defence but not particularly brilliant. I think the result was justified on balance. After the first flurry, neither team really looked like or deserved to score. Though they kept trying down our weaker right side.

The handball "goal" was laughable as it was so blatent without a hint of trying to make it look like anything else - the ref was grinning and shaking his head as he issued the yellow card.

I was there with my eldest son. The last match he came to was the debacle against Oxford City. Should I ban him from future games?
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:09 am

We must have been watching a different Woods then. I thought until he was subbed, he was doing reasonably well.

Never mind, we are now out of the playoffs, and i'm not expecting anything from the next 2 games, so I will review the table on the conclusion of the Chester game. In an ideal world, we could get something from Halifax, but the players would have to perform above and beyond to get the 3 points.

I'm not going as I am having to spend a night with the missus, but will be watching the updates on their website.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:48 am

Just looking at Colwyns recent results

1-0 win against Corby
    2-2 draw (after going 2-0 down)against Guiseley
    1-1 draw against Altrincham (they had a chance last minute to snatch a winner)

So looking at those results they are no mugs and I recall us under the cosh the whole of the 2nd half in the game at Colwyn.......Well the game against Halifax will show us just how far we have come and how much spirit is in that squad!

PELE10

Post by PELE10 Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:30 am

My own amateur musings on last nights performance are -
    Dom Knowles, when presented with opportunities for Towns first goal, where it cannoned off Frank Sinclair into his path, is one of the best strikers I have seen at this level. He never seems to miss when one-on-one and 15yds out.
    From then on we appeared quite narrow and tight and we were attempting to almost play Barcelona(ish), In that it was quite intricate with Platt and particularly Woods playing little one-two's around the edge of Colwyn's box. Chib. unfortunately was not at the races and really struggled with the basics of holding it up and laying it off. And should have been subbed off at half time and not waited until 10mins into the 2nd half.
    I felt Colwyn's goals resulted, particularly the second, from Dwayne Samuels pushing wide on the right, and Merris also on the left to give us width, aka Daniel Alves and Jordi Alba. And due to this Samuels was caught pushing up to support wide on the right. When their No8 broke, even if Samuels had been level with the No8 he would have possibly struggled to match him for pace, but may have managed to get goal side earlier.
    Colwyn's first goal was a similar breakaway, but really ultimately a result of a poor defensive header by Bloomer. Bloomer, I felt has done no more than "OK" whilst covering for White, and has relied heavily on Killock's excellent defensive and organisational ability. But to my mind, a player who has had 3 games of doing no more than "OK" probably should be 'rested'. Last night there were opportunities for him to bring the ball out from the edge of our box on occasions (certainly when we were 2-1 down) to give us another option, by getting to the halfway line. Then as Colwyn re-organised defensively to press Bloomer. Space would be created further into Colwyn's half. Why Alan White didn't start or feature, god only knows. As both an defender and attacking option at set-plays he is head and shoulders above Bloomer. IF only he could refrain from gobbing at referee's.
    By the time Simon Weaver and John McDermott brought Elam and Youhill on. I felt this was either too late OR the wrong option. (??bring White on upfront to utilise his height and strength,to hold it up or lay it off) Because, once again, understandably to some extent we were attempting to be more direct through the middle of the park. Thereby making wide players like Elam and Youhill almost ineffective. Even Alan Bolder was trying to knock balls for Youhill and Elam to run on to, which clearly isn't their strength, they need it played to feet. By now Frank Sinclair had got Colwyn well sorted with two disciplined banks of four. All the while looking to break at us at speed should the opportunity arise.
    I thought Bolland made a difference when he came on and really probably deserves a starting place. Hopefully a bigger flatter pitch at Halifax will benefit our style of play!!!
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:59 am

trevdee wrote:Just looking at Colwyns recent results
    1-0 win against Corby
    2-2 draw (after going 2-0 down)against Guiseley
    1-1 draw against Altrincham (they had a chance last minute to snatch a winner)

So looking at those results they are no mugs and I recall us under the cosh the whole of the 2nd half in the game at Colwyn.......Well the game against Halifax will show us just how far we have come and how much spirit is in that squad!
    They installed a new manager a month ago (technically a player/manager).

This is the wiki bit about him Frank Sinclair
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:36 pm

Well there goes the play-offs Exclamation Only joking (I hope), but that was a golden opportunity to take 3 points. I confess I didn't go (Man Utd/Real I'm afraid won over the CNG...and yes I DO feel ashamed of myself). It looked an extremely strong team and we got our usual early goal. Lets be honest we are not going to win every game, and a result like last night was probably overdue. Still, its a bit hard to take.

Based on current form Halifax Thursday is going to be horrendously difficult (lets hope Lee Gregory has a tweak tomorrow and misses out on selection, he is in lethal goal scoring form!). And to think he was once one of ours Sad

Funnily enough I think we might have more chance against Chester on Saturday...don't know why, just feel it in my bones.

Oh well next two games a good test to see if we really ARE play off material...watch this space.
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:46 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:We must have been watching a different Woods then. I thought until he was subbed, he was doing reasonably well.
    And that difference in our views is what makes football in general such a fascinating game Laughing

TheNeil29 wrote:I'm not going as I am having to spend a night with the missus
    Can't you tell her you're just popping out for some milk?
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:48 pm

Or as a famous polar explorer once said: 'I am just going out, I may be some time'!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:09 am