Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+4
sulphurite
Reason
JackHTFC
Big Lundy
8 posters

Gloucester City!

Big Lundy

Gloucester City! Empty Gloucester City!

Post by Big Lundy Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Need a bit of noise & a win down @ the CNG on Saturday!
    Sky now on @ the Cross Bar!

JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Gloucester City! Empty Re: Gloucester City!

Post by JackHTFC Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:28 am

How was it? I couldn't make it yesterday?!

Talking of noise Halifax next home game, they haven't had the best of starts! I think they may bring quite a few fans.
    Reason

Post by Reason Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:59 pm

My my, aren't we sore losers, taken from Gloucester City's Unofficial site:

Apparently referees don't like the "C" word.

Not "C**t", not even "Cheltenham", no, they don't like to be called a cheat. Which is unfortunate because our official today, Andrew Miller from County Durham was one.

In a game where there are two teams and very few fouls, none of which were either hard or bad he could book three City players in a first half where he hardly blew up against anyone from the home team? Maybe he'd read the preview in the local paper that stated that we were very physical and decided to stamp his authority on the game, or, on one team.

Matt Rose was cautioned for a standing late challenge, where he didn't even raise his foot as he closed a clearing defender down. Will Morford saw yellow for something which was little more than a free kick and Matt Lock went into his little black book for accumulated fouls, two of them, neither of which merited even a warning.

Added to that one-eyed salvo against the Tigers there were also identical incidents where a player from either team tried to control a bouncing ball with his chest and used a bicep, therefore handling it. Both were identical but only City's was penalised.

He even missed the incident that left City skipper Tom Webb needing nine stitches in a nasty inch long gouge in his chin.

Leaving the field at half time even normally placid City Chairman Nigel Hughes was seen to verbally barrack the cheat in black.

Football wise there had been very little to write home again in the first half as a virtually new Harrogate side failed to impress and as late as ten minutes from the end neither keeper had been forced into making a save.

Steve Davies had had City's best two chances, flicking Tom Hamblin's header over the bar at a corner and lifting a shot over keeper Chris Elliott when put through after the break.

Although from a free kick Lock forced a good save from the keeper with a long range piledriver whilst Davies looked as though he was shoved over in the penalty area, surprise, surprise, no penalty was given.

But City eventually lost and the defeat was probably a result of the lack of depth in the squad.

Matt Coupe limped off and Rose took his place in the heart of defence. A succession of flicked headers saw the ball fall nicely for winger Stephen Turnbull to beat Kev Sawyer and somehow scuff a shot home despite Rose looking as though he might've scooped the ball clear.

Boris threw on the other two of this three substitutes and within two minutes ex-scuzzer Paul Brayson made it two to totally distort the scoreline.

At the end of the game the referee even appeared to be hugging the players from the home team.

Makes beating them even more satisfying. According to their website the points tha we got were "tainted"

Oh dear!
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:04 pm

A very biased view if ever I saw one. Not only factually incorrect but abusive. Well a lesson to be learned, we can play rubbish and still get 3 points, a win that we fully deserved.

The cards the opposition received were just that, Yellow Cards, one for a two footed tackle from behind, a card in anyone's book, especially for our 12th man.. haha we hardly ever get the correct decision. Didn't really see the others, but if the opposition postings are anything to go by, it was probably dissent.

As far as the ref "hugging" our players, what a total lie, a ref would never do that in public!

Brayson looked dangerous from the start and I heard a Gloucester fan, with a notebook? saying "Brayson was always going to score" now for me, that was someone who maybe saw the game as it was.

By the way, does anyone know how many saves our keeper had to make? can't recall any (of note) myself.

Reason

Post by Reason Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:01 pm

No saves of the divey-divey kind if thats what you mean!

He did quite a bit of catching however.

He wasn't really busy however. The lump in the other goal has more of the ball (and the pies from the look of it!)
    tigerroar

Post by tigerroar Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:20 pm

Well, at least someone reads my website.

I was really expecting more from Harrogate yesterday. With three players out banned and two injured all in the stand we were short of options and ideas and it showed so I would've been more than pleased to get a point, which on the performance both teams deserved.

On the field the game was won after Matt Coupe had limped off and been replaced by an ex-youth player who'd played a handful of games whilst Harrogate brought on Ross and Elam, talented and experienced players.

Off the field it seemed that the local press had described us as big and physical, which the twat in black had gotten wind of and with prior knowledge about the unfortunate incident from last year obviously decided he was going to clamp down on any fouls that we committed. Only one of them (Will Morford) may have been anything like a card, the other two were laughable. I don't normally single out referees but he cheated us. I dread going to Blyth cos we'll probably get the c**t there again.

And for the record your keeper had to make at least one save, from Matt lock's long range free kick whilst your first goal was from your second shot on goal in the second half.

They say a sign of a good team is one that can play badly and win, as England did against Wales but you sure as hell didn't deserve it.

sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:41 am

tigerroar wrote:Well, at least someone reads my website.

I was really expecting more from Harrogate yesterday. With three players out banned and two injured all in the stand we were short of options and ideas and it showed so I would've been more than pleased to get a point, which on the performance both teams deserved.

On the field the game was won after Matt Coupe had limped off and been replaced by an ex-youth player who'd played a handful of games whilst Harrogate brought on Ross and Elam, talented and experienced players.

Off the field it seemed that the local press had described us as big and physical, which the twat in black had gotten wind of and with prior knowledge about the unfortunate incident from last year obviously decided he was going to clamp down on any fouls that we committed. Only one of them (Will Morford) may have been anything like a card, the other two were laughable. I don't normally single out referees but he cheated us. I dread going to Blyth cos we'll probably get the c**t there again.

And for the record your keeper had to make at least one save, from Matt lock's long range free kick whilst your first goal was from your second shot on goal in the second half.

They say a sign of a good team is one that can play badly and win, as England did against Wales but you sure as hell didn't deserve it

Yes we did Laughing
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:00 am

Couldn't go Saturday, returning from a short break, if the plane had landed an hour earlier I could have made the second half and seen the goals...darn it! Glad we won however. How did the new lads play: both look like potentially good signings. And Paul Brayson keeps scoring...unlike Armstrong Smile Smile
    tigerroar

Post by tigerroar Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:49 am

sulphurite wrote:

They say a sign of a good team is one that can play badly and win, as England did against Wales but you sure as hell didn't deserve it

Yes we did Laughing

No mate, Harrogate were average at best and that was robbery. If I was the person or people financing the club I'd want more for my money than was on offer on Saturday.

I look forward to the return fixture where we can get some proper tackles in without them being spoiled by a referee with an agenda.
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:21 pm

tigerroar wrote:
    sulphurite wrote:

Yes we did Laughing

No mate, Harrogate were average at best and that was robbery. If I was the person or people financing the club I'd want more for my money than was on offer on Saturday.

I look forward to the return fixture where we can get some proper tackles in without them being spoiled by a referee with an agenda.

We all know about your proper tackles. As for the return match, I am sure that the Ref will give us nothing, as is the usual case for us, but then again, we generally don't keep going on about it neither.

The games over, you lost to an average side playing, (slightly) better than your team.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    tigerroar

Post by tigerroar Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:28 pm

Fair point but 12 v's 11 is always going to be tough.
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:31 pm

tigerroar wrote:Fair point but 12 v's 11 is always going to be tough.

And it will be exactly the same at your place, in your favour.... Very Happy

That's how I usualy find it anyway.
    sagalout

Post by sagalout Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:40 pm

To be fair tigerroar makes some points I'd agree with. I didn't see any challenge that warranted a yellow from either team, and the Town fans behind me were saying the same. Having said that, Nowakowsi got a yellow for kicking the ball away (well, continuing with a strike on goal after the whistle) when a Gloucester player threw the ball away and didn't receive anything, so its more just poor refereeing than anything else.

As for the points, over the first 80 mins a point each would have been fair, but for the last 10 we played some good football and scored 2 goals therefore we deserved the points!

Nice to see the improvements in the clubhouse Smile
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:19 pm

sagalout wrote:To be fair tigerroar makes some points I'd agree with. I didn't see any challenge that warranted a yellow from either team, and the Town fans behind me were saying the same. Having said that, Nowakowsi got a yellow for kicking the ball away (well, continuing with a strike on goal after the whistle) when a Gloucester player threw the ball away and didn't receive anything, so its more just poor refereeing than anything else.

As for the points, over the first 80 mins a point each would have been fair, but for the last 10 we played some good football and scored 2 goals therefore we deserved the points!

Nice to see the improvements in the clubhouse Smile

Did you also see the Gloucester player waving his hands in the air (showing a card style) when Adam took the shot a second or Two after the whistle?

And the two footed challenge from behind that got the Gloucester player a Yellow?
    tigerroar

Post by tigerroar Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:41 pm

There was no two-footed challenge from behind, a foul as such would've merited a straight red card and even though the referee was corrupt and incompetent I do think your mind is playing tricks on you.

I'm glad one of your fans can see what happened from a more balanced perspective. I was shouting for a yellow card for your man too, as petty as it was and as pointless as it was to the outcome of the game simply because of the unjust way that the "referee" had handled proceedings in the first half of the game. I must say though, his indications that he didn't hear the whistle didn't help Van Persie in a packed Nou Camp (was it?) so it was hardly going to work at the shhhhh arena Wink
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:55 pm

It was a definite foul and card. Whether others deserved the same is a different discussion. I didn't think the ref was any better or worse than any we've seen over the past season or two. I've seen some very odd decisions a times - both for and against us.

But eh best bit of the whole match was Gloucester's goalie. I knew I recognised him from somewhere...Other career
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:43 am

I'm no expert on the law, and whilst I guess its OK to call a ref 'incompetent', saying they are 'corrupt', is, I would have thought, putting you in rather dangerous territory tigerroar.
    tigerroar

Post by tigerroar Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Fair point. He wasn't corrupt, he was just bent.
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:28 pm

tigerroar wrote:Fair point. He wasn't corrupt, he was just bent.

Give it a rest FFS

Iv'e seen far worse refs. Your not the only team to suffer, get over it.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:13 am

Well said. Wasn't at the game so cannot comment, but the fact remains all football fans think the ref makes bad decisions against their teams, always have, always will. Part of the 'fun' of being a supporter is having a go at the ref, whether you support Chelsea or Tadcaster Albion (look them up tigeroar!). As Sulphurite says this debate should now cease.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:46 pm