Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+8
TheNeil29
GARAGE
sagalout
fulhamphoenix
gedmaloney
Ball and Socket
paulstreet
Big Lundy
12 posters

Gloucester City

Big Lundy

Gloucester City Empty Gloucester City

Post by Big Lundy Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:23 am

FREE ENTRY for under 18’s
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    No easy games in this league!!!!!!
    They really are all “BIG GAMES” now!!!!
    Shocked
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Gloucester City Empty Re: Gloucester City

Post by paulstreet Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:37 am

Nuneaton have 10 points from the last 30, Fylde have 15 and we have 24. The only worry for me is that (like Solihull), we haven't really had a bad patch all season, every time we lose we seem to bounce right back. Which is fantastic, but most teams have a 'sticky' patch, just hope ours isn't still to come! Simon seemed to indicate in the Advertiser yesterday that Ellis and McGurk would start tomorrow. Fair enough I guess but surely we didn't acquire Foster to be sat on the bench. Will Knowles win his place back this season? Hard to see Clayton and Thewlis losing their starting places for now at least. I was wrong about them (of course!), I thought they wouldn't be goal scorers, but they (particularly Clayton) are starting to score regularly now. Isn't it great to be wrong!

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:07 am

Crowd tomorrow should be interesting. there (surely) won't be more than a handful of Gloucester fans, so virtually everyone will be a home supporter. Anything less than 600 would be a major disappointment, after last week, and our current league position.
    fulhamphoenix

Post by fulhamphoenix Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:20 am

Now then, we may slip on a banana skin this weekend, but for the increasing number of us living the dream - the bookies have Solihull v Tamworth (sat), on average home win 7-10, draw 3-1, away 4-1.
    So assuming similar odds for Curzon (they beat us in cup at Wetherby Rd!) on Monday, the way i read it the bookies expect that Solihull will lose 2 points from these 2 games. So, if this pans out to be true, and Town win we'll be only 2 points behind. Come on Town !
    fulhamphoenix

Post by fulhamphoenix Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:22 am

Sorry, should have said 5 points behind BUT with a game in hand. So much for making a complex subject less complex !
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:00 pm

Our 'sticky' patch came when we were conceding goals at an alarming rate. Over a collective 9 league games and one FA Cup game we let in 29 goals. That's certainly not promotion form. What's made the difference since FC Utd away? Pace, skill, attitude and role responsibility. Emmett and Thewlis have brought pace and skill that frightens defences to death. But watch them when we are not in possession. We are desperate to get the ball back quickly and play to our strengths. The whole team are:D

As Simon was quoted in yesterday's Advertiser, "We looked more secure on the ball and we looked a lot more compact across the back and in midfield. Hopefully it shows we have learnt a few harsh lessons." "Both ends (defence & attack) have become more clinical."

This team are playing to their strengths. Getting the ball down and playing football. Enabling our players to pass and move. A high backline also keeps the team closer as a unit denying the opposition more space and time on the ball.

Confidence is high and we are taking more of the chances being created. Its a joy to watch our team playing so well individually and for each other.

Luke Foster will need a week or two to settle in. Simon seems to be sticking with Ellis & McGurk for the Gloucester home game. Luke will be able to see how our team is set up and how we play. With Nuneaton, Tamworth & Worcester coming up we are certainly going to need his experience and strength and personalty. Good luck to him.

As for Gloucester we will need to be on our toes. They have been flying and getting good consistent results. They wereunlucky to lose 2-1 against Tamworth recently. Their great form was rewarded recently when their ManagerTim Harris and defender (centre half) Rob Cundy were named Manager of the month and player of the Month for the Conference North in January. Cundy apparently at 18 is a great prospect and has been the glue in their defence. After Saturday his head will be spinning after having to mark Clayton for 90 minutes and Emmett and Thewlis and Daniels running at him Very Happy

HUNGER FIGHT POISE CONTROL

Post by Guest Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:40 pm

We have had a few iffy spells. Already got them out of the way!
    Difference has been for me, Clayton, coming back a different player from his spell on the bench - Simon must have been thinking the same as some of us to drop him for that period. Has done him the world of good. His link up play prior to that was iffy, yes he has always had effort but his headers actually go somewhere now and he has discovered the back of the net after an alarmingly poor record prior to his spell on the sidelines.
    As has having Threwlis alongside him and having a much deserved chance and seized it with both hands. We have a classic front two partnership and is a joy to watch.

Brilliance of the midfield has never waned and actually improved since Cecil has gone and Kerry and now Warren occupying the centre pairing.

As for the crowd, anything less than 600 would be a big shame, kind of hoping for 700+ but this is Harrogate and its legion of supposed football 'fans' are actually just a load TV 'fans'.
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:09 pm

paulstreet wrote:Crowd tomorrow should be interesting. there (surely) won't be more than a handful of Gloucester fans, so virtually everyone will be a home supporter. Anything less than 600 would be a major disappointment, after last week, and our  current league position.  

Agreed Paul - less than 600 would be a disappointment particularly given I can confirm the programme now includes attendances and having proof read it today, looks half decent.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:15 pm

Thanks Ged, look.forward to reading it!
    fulhamphoenix

Post by fulhamphoenix Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:23 pm

gedmaloney wrote:
    paulstreet wrote:Crowd tomorrow should be interesting. there (surely) won't be more than a handful of Gloucester fans, so virtually everyone will be a home supporter. Anything less than 600 would be a major disappointment, after last week, and our  current league position.  

Agreed Paul - less than 600 would be a disappointment particularly given I can confirm the programme now includes attendances and having proof read it today, looks half decent.

IMO getting promotion would open up a new public awareness and new avenues for our marketing team to harness that awareness. The way i see it, in any sport it takes tangible success to wake folk up from their slumber, especially in a town like Harrogate where the 'born and bred' brand of loyalty is thin on the ground.
    sagalout

Post by sagalout Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:58 pm

Looking forward to today.

Last week was the first time in a long long time when town have really performed well in front of a big crowd, so let's hope a few come back. I think there's still a perception amongst local football fans (who watch on TV) that the standard in this league isn't worth watching. The club should put together a good highlights real / trailer then get it published as a paid advert on social media. It's so easy to target local football fans. Give them something to watch and share that changes their perceptions.
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:39 pm

800 crowd was fantastic. Solihull drop points and we hit upon their no.4 who I thought had an outstanding game and was worth 2 players at times. The number of opportunities he snuffed out! I thought we played well but came up against a resolute side.
    fulhamphoenix

Post by fulhamphoenix Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:56 pm

Their defence was as good as ours. Can't fault any of our players. But if we are going to capitalise on Solihull dropping points we need to find a way of breaking down defences - which will probably get more stubborn as the business end of the season approaches.
    I do think we expect too much of Daniels, expecting him, and only him, to deliver precision corners and free kicks in quick succession. I'd have shared these duties with others - Colbeck especially later on !
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:37 pm

Solihull, Boston and Ferriby all lost today as well, so it's definitely a point gained.

Gloucester always seems to be a very tough fixture and there never is a lot of goals, so I'm very happy with a point.
    GARAGE

Post by GARAGE Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:02 pm

They came for a point and achieved their aim.  The ref did not help - remember him from the Grimsby game - he did not give us much. Only 3 mins injury time when their keeper wasted more than that. Still we have clawed back a point from Solihull
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Thought Boston drew, but Fylde lost as well.
    Disappointing not to win but we gained a point on three of our rivals.
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:51 pm

Well done Town. I thought Gloucester were the best organised team defensively we have seen at the CNG this season. Could have done without the blatant timewasting of their keeper, although his balletic twirls were quite amusing - usually followed by him kicking the ball straight into touch.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:52 pm

My mistake. Boston did draw, but still a good point though.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:08 pm

No drum 1st half!!!!
    scratch
    Where was Boris?
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:11 pm

Yes, frustrating but not a bad day in the end. Next two away games now so vital: Nuneaton and Tamworth, _who are coming into form. 3 points out of 6 would be good.
    wootontommy

Post by wootontommy Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:37 am

Their game plan to go for a 0--0 draw worked a treat. In the first half they pressed high and defended in numbers.. It was like watching defence versus attack. We were a bit frantic and couldn't seem to retain the ball. They interrupted our flow by doing that and by the pathetic time wasting tactics. However, they seemed to work. I was content with the one point at half time. In the second half, I thought we were the much better side and deserved more. I would like to see the ball released just a bit quicker though and sometimes we need to have a go at the goal earlier - It looked like we were trying to walk it in at times( except for Daniels).
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Their no 4 Rob Cundy was the difference between us drawing or winning. Thought he marshalled the defence well and was always in a position to snuff out an attack. Thought Clayton worked hard but tough day at the office for our lads. If Luke Foster is anything like that young lad then a cracking signing.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:28 pm

No striker on bench yesterday!
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:19 pm

So who would you have had on the bench?
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:51 pm

How far away from full fitness is Knowlesey? Good to see him in the warm up yesterday.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 10:07 pm