Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+18
kirkhamwesham
trevdee
paulstreet
CCOB
A1 drifter
Mike of Wetherby
fulhamphoenix
sagalout
Surplus
Chips97
GARAGE
Admin
boselecta
TheNeil29
gedmaloney
Tommyb123
Townfan
Big Lundy
22 posters

Flyde in the playoffs- #wegoagain but better!

Surplus

Flyde in the playoffs- #wegoagain but better! - Page 3 Empty Re: Flyde in the playoffs- #wegoagain but better!

Post by Surplus Wed May 04, 2016 11:07 pm

Also Boston won 2-0. If there was ever an incentive to beat flyde, so final could be at ours. C'mon Town!
    wootontommy

Flyde in the playoffs- #wegoagain but better! - Page 3 Empty Re: Flyde in the playoffs- #wegoagain but better!

Post by wootontommy Wed May 04, 2016 11:14 pm

Feelings of frustration at a chance missed tonight. They were no better than us, but the result had an air of inevitability about it for a number of reasons: 1) The number of chances not taken in the first 25 minutes. 2) the number of fine saves Crook made meant that one shot eventually would beat him 3) as soon as we started playing the long, high ball, we lost control and composure. Added to this Swain, who is the most inconsistent player in the squad, was not even at the races tonight and Daniels failed to show for large parts of the game. Still, we are only a goal down, so not down and out yet, but please, please, please Mr Weaver, do not allow us to play the long ball on Sunday or we're gonners for sure
    boselecta

Post by boselecta Wed May 04, 2016 11:22 pm

Look we never turned up tonight,agree with all the posts apart from the last 15 we were so ,so flat.Yet when we started to play football ie .. the ball on the ground.. we looked dangerous. Clayts was Clayts O.K never a natural goal scorer,but for effort alone he was brilliant.
    We are still in this match ,if we can nick a goal early on they will crack,believe me..Lets turn up Sunday and get behind the lads we can still do it.
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Thu May 05, 2016 4:48 am

Let's stay positive. Not the score we wanted but certainly not as bad as it could've been and 2-0 at theirs is well within reach. We'll get chances, just got to take them!
    GARAGE

Post by GARAGE Thu May 05, 2016 6:49 am

From a supposed tactical masterclass at Nuneaton to that tactical rubbish last night. We have very little option for upfront on Sunday so i guess it will be like Nuneaton and play a defensive line up and try to sneak a goal. I cannot see it working. Just heard Simon on radio and he was at a different game.
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Thu May 05, 2016 7:13 am

No doubt it'll be tough on Sunday but it is what it is and that's the squad we've got. They've got us into the playoffs, which makes a success of this season so we've got nothing to lose on Sunday. I'm hoping we just give a good account of ourselves and if everyone gives everything, bit of lady luck thrown in, then who knows. The dream lives on, it's just a bit frayed at the edges!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu May 05, 2016 7:39 am

They have no choice but to go for broke now. It was a massive opportunity last night.

Some of the players just didn't look up for it, at all. Crook, Kerry, Ellis and Turner were absolutely outstanding last night.

Carefrees comments are spot on, but to add to this, the main disappointing factors for me were the performances of Colbeck and Daniels. Very, very unimpressed with those 2.

If I was Simon for this weekend, Burrell and Emmett have to start and he has to switch it up tactically.

A note to Simon and the players. Play the ball on the f*****g floor!! Stop playing f******g hoofball. It doesnt work!!!

Surplus

Post by Surplus Thu May 05, 2016 7:58 am

I think flyde closed down very well, which put our defence under pressure to clear the ball, but that said totally agree TheNeil that we need to play the ball on the floor and move it fast. Didn't see many overlapping runs or quick interplay and to be fair to Daniels, if I were the opposition I'd look to nullify him by doubling up and getting close so he doesn't have time on the ball or he's not in a position to receive the ball, as he's our top scorer and makes things happen as does Emmett. Clayts ties up defenders, but players have got to be close to gain from his knockdown and flicks. Still, can analyse till our hearts content but it won't help us now. Bring on Sunday and play without fear!
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu May 05, 2016 9:19 am

Can't really agree with Bo that we 'didn't turn up last night'. I thought the first 30 minutes about the most exciting I've seen all season. We could (probably should) have scored 2 (mind you, they could too). That early goal mouth scramble (love to see a video of that!), was it Kerry who hit the bar? He was superb last night I thought, and other chances. Should have been 2-2 at half time, could have been 3-3. Yes, the second half was dire from our perspective.

There is no need to despair. As someone said, they are good, but not that good, and we can play better. Crucial thing is the first goal. If they get it that's probably our season over. If we score first anything is possible. Colbeck for Swain and Emmett in from the start would be my change. Start with Clayton and Knowles if Thewlis is injured? Last chance for Knowles to make a name for himself, and, as has been said, he is STILL our leading striker despite not playing for ages.

I thought the atmosphere, first half, was incredible, went flat after that, understandably. Still, maybe the town of Harrogate is slowly becoming 'a football town'!
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Thu May 05, 2016 9:59 am

Simon said on the radio that Thewlis will be out on Sunday so this is a massive chance for Knowles to come in and show us that he is a quality striker. I know he has the potential but he has struggled for game time this season due to injuries. I hope he bags a hat-trick and proves some of you wrong.

We just need to get the first goal on Sunday and set us off from there and most definitely don't let them get an early goal! I would probably start with the same team but bring Knowles in for Thewlis and bring Emmett on for Colbeck in the second half to run at them tired legs.

Got to say a big mention to Kerry as well who was battling in midfield for 90 minutes! Really put a shift in.

We can still do this so let's go to Fylde and give the lads the encouragement they deserve! OOOOOOOOOOO TOWN! Very Happy

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2016 10:16 am

paulstreet wrote:Can't really agree with Bo that we 'didn't turn up last night'. I thought the first 30 minutes about the most exciting I've seen all season. We could (probably should) have scored 2 (mind you, they could too). That early goal mouth scramble (love to see a video of that!), was it Kerry who hit the bar? He was superb last night I thought, and other chances. Should have been 2-2 at half time, could have been 3-3.  Yes, the second half was dire from our perspective.

There is no need to despair. As someone said, they are good, but not that good, and we can play better. Crucial thing is the first goal. If they get it that's probably our season over. If we score first anything is possible. Colbeck for Swain and Emmett in from the start would be my change. Start with Clayton and Knowles if Thewlis is injured?  Last chance for Knowles to make a name for himself, and, as has been said, he is STILL our leading striker despite not playing for ages.

I thought the atmosphere, first half, was incredible, went flat after that, understandably. Still, maybe the town of Harrogate is slowly becoming 'a football town'!  

Agree with some of that, apart from the inevitable Knowles - calling him our leading striker is like saying he's the quickest pony in a three legged horse race....fair enough if he has banged in 15 but even Walshaw scored more and made more of an impact despite being benched for most of the second half of the last season. He offers us nothing at all and if we cannot see that now it shows the depths of desperation to think he will do something at this point. He is so far off form I would rather see Marcus Day or Robbie Worrall out there any day of the week. Surely this seasons pick for the Speight Trophy for £ per shite return. Gloves in 10 degrees swung it for me a few months back.

As for footballing town, well yes but only if we actually at least put on a performance to merit it becoming a football town, as every time folk turn out in numbers they get, in the case of last night, 75mins of shite. Club has to think long and hard about how Simon communicates to the players for matches like this, as it is actually quite embarrassing that it keeps happening and quite detrimental to the wider aspirations to get more people down all the time.

That said was a brilliant thing to see the ground fill up as it did, was a genuine buzz about the place prior to the actual game which should be plaudits to the efforts of those off the pitch at the club. Don't let the football ruin the football!

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2016 10:24 am

Chips97 wrote:Simon said on the radio that Thewlis will be out on Sunday so this is a massive chance for Knowles to come in and show us that he is a quality striker. I know he has the potential but he has struggled for game time this season due to injuries. I hope he bags a hat-trick and proves some of you wrong.

We just need to get the first goal on Sunday and set us off from there and most definitely don't let them get an early goal! I would probably start with the same team but bring Knowles in for Thewlis and bring Emmett on for Colbeck in the second half to run at them tired legs.

Got to say a big mention to Kerry as well who was battling in midfield for 90 minutes! Really put a shift in.

We can still do this so let's go to Fylde and give the lads the encouragement they deserve! OOOOOOOOOOO TOWN! Very Happy  

When?

Save for a month or so in the new year, he has been available for most and shite for most of the season. Stop excusing someone who has been paid a decent salary to do naff all. Over rated powder puffer who does not have the graft or striking guile to do it in non league, maybe he thought he would walk it dropping down to this division but I cannot find one redeeming factor of his play, he doesn't even graft and get stuck in.

Gladly be proven wrong if he does as you say prove a few folk wrong (bit late for that now don't you think!!) but do you really see someone who has zero form doing that, honestly? When a young lad in Jordan can read Claytons game better than someone who has spent time in the football league and was bought to the club to score goals can't read Claytons game at all you have to worry. Thankfully and hopefully he will be out of the club in the summer.
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Thu May 05, 2016 10:48 am

Carefree wrote:
    Chips97 wrote:Simon said on the radio that Thewlis will be out on Sunday so this is a massive chance for Knowles to come in and show us that he is a quality striker. I know he has the potential but he has struggled for game time this season due to injuries. I hope he bags a hat-trick and proves some of you wrong.

When?

Save for a month or so in the new year, he has been available for most and shite for most of the season. Stop excusing someone who has been paid a decent salary to do naff all. Over rated powder puffer who does not have the graft or striking guile to do it in non league, maybe he thought he would walk it dropping down to this division but I cannot find one redeeming factor of his play, he doesn't even graft and get stuck in.

Gladly be proven wrong if he does as you say prove a few folk wrong (bit late for that now don't you think!!) but do you really see someone who has zero form doing that, honestly? When a young lad in Jordan can read Claytons game better than someone who has spent time in the football league and was bought to the club to score goals can't read Claytons game at all you have to worry. Thankfully and hopefully he will be out of the club in the summer.

Seriously, when Knowles has played recently he has played through illness and if you think Thewlis is a better forward you are deluded yes he has pace and good movement off the ball but can he finish. NO. Can Knowles finish. YES. If Knowles leaves at the end of the season it'll be a massive loss for us as he is the only goalscoring forward at the club and we'd need to make a big signing.
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Thu May 05, 2016 10:55 am

If We'd have had the chance I'd have brought Jerry Yates back on loan till the end of the season. IMO he was our best forward this season.
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Thu May 05, 2016 11:09 am

Knowles will be with us next season & hopefully back to his best. He's had a crap year so far with first injury & then suffering with pleurisy scored some good goals in the first half of the season. Play-offs has probably come a bit too soon for him. I think Weaver knew this which was why he brought Hearn in but that didn't work out due to injury (I think), not sure if he is still at the club & available to play but he was at the presentation evening on Saturday.
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Thu May 05, 2016 11:23 am

CCOB wrote:Knowles will be with us next season & hopefully back to his best. He's had a crap year so far with first injury & then suffering with pleurisy scored some good goals in the first half of the season. Play-offs has probably come a bit too soon for him. I think Weaver knew this which was why he brought Hearn in but that didn't work out due to injury (I think), not sure if he is still at the club & available to play but he was at the presentation evening on Saturday.

100% this.

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2016 11:29 am

Chips97 wrote:
    Carefree wrote:

When?

Seriously, when Knowles has played recently he has played through illness and if you think Thewlis is a better forward you are deluded yes he has pace and good movement off the ball but can he finish. NO. Can Knowles finish. YES. If Knowles leaves at the end of the season it'll be a massive loss for us as he is the only goalscoring forward at the club and we'd need to make a big signing.

Did I say he was better? I just think he reads Clayton far better than Knowles is inclined or bothered to. Which given his experience vs Jordan is not the best.  

Delusion....so he hasn't been injured for most of the season then? Been on the bench for most of second half of the season.

Delusion....calling Knowles a goalscoring forward who'd be a massive loss. Goals vs Appearances? Go and count them and reconsider that title you have given him.

Delusion....not seeing his lack of goals and general application as being a let down to the faith Simon and the club have put in him as our big signing last summer. He was bought in and paid decently to score our goals, he hasn't done it this season or for the previous two seasons elsewhere which I think rather paints a picture longer term on his ability to positively impact at the club. Move him on and get someone else in.
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Thu May 05, 2016 11:35 am

Mason would start for me and look at Burrell in midfield as he gets up to support the strikers, may as well go for it though, worse thing that happens is we lose. Getting to the playoffs was the objective this season, so anything else is a big bonus. Anyone know what happened in the Boston game?
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Thu May 05, 2016 11:47 am

SW has got the closed season to look long and hard at how he builds on this season and creates a machine like Solihull that will grind out win after win. Strike force definitely needs looking at on stats alone and we need strengthening elsewhere.
    Got to attend to the small matter of overturning a 1 goal deficit which is achievable if tactics are right, we play to our strengths and we don't give them time on the ball by dropping off. Ball gets passed to the keeper, chase it down and try to force the error.
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Thu May 05, 2016 11:50 am

Well as I've said I don't think we are seeing the real Knowles at the moment & won't do now until he's had a full pre-season & is back to full fitness. In my opinion he's the best finisher at the club (in the box that is) when he's back to full fitness and confidence.
    Mason was class in his first few games not sure why Weaver started leaving him out, don't know if he's available for the plays-offs due to the conditions of his loan.
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Thu May 05, 2016 11:58 am

As has been said it's only half time, although their keeper seemed to think they had just won the World Cup. Fylde looked a decent team but there is not much difference between the 2 teams until you look at Danny Rowe.
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Thu May 05, 2016 12:05 pm

I agree about Mason Warren when he played he looked solid defensively and I would have kept playing him instead of Swain. Weaver tends to prefer Swain due to his power and the way he gets forward well but he is a liability defensively.
    I fear that the difference between the two clubs at the end of Sunday may be Danny Rowe.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Thu May 05, 2016 12:21 pm

trevdee wrote:Awful bloody ref, possibly the worse yet....where the hell do we get them from?

One lapse for their goal, Crook kept us in it and we wasted some good chances!! It aint over, we need to go to Fylde now and play like we have never played before.

i agree about the ref could not believe he was an ex Premier league linesman
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Thu May 05, 2016 12:25 pm

Carefree wrote:
    paulstreet wrote:Can't really agree with Bo that we 'didn't turn up last night'. I thought the first 30 minutes about the most exciting I've seen all season. We could (probably should) have scored 2 (mind you, they could too). That early goal mouth scramble (love to see a video of that!), was it Kerry who hit the bar? He was superb last night I thought, and other chances. Should have been 2-2 at half time, could have been 3-3.  Yes, the second half was dire from our perspective.

There is no need to despair. As someone said, they are good, but not that good, and we can play better. Crucial thing is the first goal. If they get it that's probably our season over. If we score first anything is possible. Colbeck for Swain and Emmett in from the start would be my change. Start with Clayton and Knowles if Thewlis is injured?  Last chance for Knowles to make a name for himself, and, as has been said, he is STILL our leading striker despite not playing for ages.

Agree with some of that, apart from the inevitable Knowles - calling him our leading striker is like saying he's the quickest pony in a three legged horse race....fair enough if he has banged in 15 but even Walshaw scored more and made more of an impact despite being benched for most of the second half of the last season. He offers us nothing at all and if we cannot see that now it shows the depths of desperation to think he will do something at this point. He is so far off form I would rather see Marcus Day or Robbie Worrall out there any day of the week. Surely this seasons pick for the Speight Trophy for £ per shite return. Gloves in 10 degrees swung it for me a few months back.

As for footballing town, well yes but only if we actually at least put on a performance to merit it becoming a football town, as every time folk turn out in numbers they get, in the case of last night, 75mins of shite. Club has to think long and hard about how Simon communicates to the players for matches like this, as it is actually quite embarrassing that it keeps happening and quite detrimental to the wider aspirations to get more people down all the time.

That said was a brilliant thing to see the ground fill up as it did, was a genuine buzz about the place prior to the actual game which should be plaudits to the efforts of those off the pitch at the club. Don't let the football ruin the football!  

Don't know who you are Carefree but you sure talk a lot of sense
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Thu May 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Although the ref wasn't the reason we lost last night, most of the free kicks awarded to Fylde were dubious yet for us to get a free kick it had to be clear cut. 2 minutes added on at the end of the 2nd half when they had a player down for 5mins & Ellis was down for 3mins at least.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:11 am