Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+7
A1 drifter
rangerider
trevdee
nztownfan
TheNeil29
Dark Knight
Big Lundy
11 posters

Histon !!!!

Big Lundy

Histon !!!! Empty Histon !!!!

Post by Big Lundy Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A tough game this so we really need to

Smile
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Histon !!!! Empty Re: Histon !!!!

Post by Dark Knight Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:43 am

Matchday, bring it on!!! bounce bounce cheers bounce cheers cheers bounce 
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:04 pm

I want to swear.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Frustrating more than anything. For periods, we passed the ball around really well, hit the woodwork and their keeper made some tremendous saves. We just lacked a cutting edge in front of goal. A few individual performances were poor today, but the goal to win it was top drawer.

We just have to dust ourselves down, and go again.
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:01 pm

long ball against two massive CB's... why?!?!
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Frustrating day all round really......nothing much to say about it, can't decide whether we were poor or very unlucky..mixtures of both really, some games 5 can go in and from the start it was always going to be one of those days were we do everything but score.

Still, we will be back on track with a win on Tuesday!

rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Well after the Lord Mayors show comes the muck cart, that was a pile of rubbish severed up today by a team devoid of any idea's poor midfield no penetration and was reduce to hoofing the ball up to Hall who was isolated against two tall defenders who must have thought xmas had come early with the tactics we where playing, five points dropped at home already, play offs? don't make me laugh, as a guy from Histon said to me "i thought you would be better than this,"well summers nearly over and colder days are round the corner so playing football like this will not entice gates of 500+
    I thought Killock deserved his man of the match award if only the others players had played as good as he did today
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Their keeper made at least three excellent saves but the fact is we had good chances and couldn't get the ball in the net. I really couldn't see where our goal would come from. Need a goal poacher.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:25 pm

rangerider wrote:Well after the Lord Mayors show comes the muck cart, that was a pile of rubbish severed up today by a team devoid of any idea's poor midfield no penetration and was reduce to hoofing the ball up to Hall who was isolated against two tall defenders who must have thought xmas had come early with the tactics we where playing, five points dropped at home already, play offs?  don't make me laugh, as a guy from Histon said to me "i thought you would be better than this,"well summers nearly over and colder days are round the corner so playing football like this will not entice gates of 500+
    I thought Killock deserved his man of the match award if only the others players had played as good as he did today
    Funny how you bang on about the long ball on one hand then give Killock all the plaudits on the other....I lost count in the first half how many times he could have played a simple ball but chose to hoof it.......Infact we played the ball around nicely for the first 15-20 mins and then came a couple of long balls from Killock and from there we lost our shape and invited Histon to start playing a little.

I think Weaver needs to work on discipline, he should set the tactics and they should stick to it.....Saying that though, I thought we played worse against, Stockport, yet we scored 3 so swings in roundabouts.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:58 pm

so it all went pear shaped because Killock played a couple of long balls?   strange

Last edited by rangerider on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:44 am

Home crowds up but we still haven’t managed a supporter’s away coach yet!!!!!

33 seater to big?
    scratch 

Eddie Brown do 16 seaters!

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:01 am

Might be an idea to advertise the away coaches on the tannoy at half time and before the game. I will be going to Tuesday's game however driving through due to me working in Leeds.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:43 am

Jordan, I heard somebody said you won Carling fan of the year through your Blackburn exploits! If so, what a guy!
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Let's not beat around the bush, Histon are not as good as Town and we should have been beating them yesterday. I looked at them warming up and they looked to be an unusually small side. Certainly should have been no match whatsoever for us physically speaking. I thought maybe we'd see some tiki-taka from them Laughing  but the very first thing they did from kick off was launch an 80 yard cannonball into no man's land!!! The first half was pretty awful after a bright first few minutes but the warning signs were there. We had quite a few let offs before Histon actually scored. And when they did, what did we do? We immediately started playing like we should. Simon chucked Taylor and Rowe on, then really went for it by throwing Liam on too. Unsurprisingly we bossed them entirely for the rest of the match and Hall got more joy in the last 20 than the whole of the first 70. This is clearly what we need to do. Especially at home. I'm not saying completely throw caution to the wind but we can't go on with Hall winning everything for 90 minutes for nobody in particular. Back four and keeper is largely excellent and picks itself but it's time to freshen things up further up the pitch and give Hall some more support. I keep seeing it said we need a goalscorer or a poacher but Hall would clearly get goals every week if he ever got the opportunity to turn and face it once in a while instead of spending 90 minutes being mounted by opposition centre halves.

Luckily the league table was pretty kind after yesterday's result. Last time we lost, we did an Alan Partridge and bounced back with two great results. I don't know if the team were complacent yesterday or what but if we can get back to back wins again this week we'll be right back in it and can put yesterday behind us.
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:16 pm

I was surprised Beesley didn't get recalled back from Railway for yesterdays game with Tommy leaving. He's scoring every week for Railway, now got 4 goals in the last 3 games.
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:59 pm

After 10 minutes or so, I turned to my wife and said that this would finish 0-0. Neither team were impressive and I couldn't see a goal being scored at either end. A poor game between two poor teams, neither showing much to write home about.

Histon's goal was a once in a lifetime shot that on another day would have gone over, or well outside the post.

Unfortunately for us, we didn't have the same opportunity. I wonder how long Chris Hall will be able to keep focus when opposition teams will know that you need to put 2 big fellas on him, to climb all over his back (how much longer before referees notice this too) and we are then toothless? When he does get free, there's generally no-one from our lot anywhere near him anyway. The reason that we don't use the midfield is because it's generally so close to the back four that the two lines are indistinguishable.

Killock got MOM really by default as he did very little wrong IMHO. It could have gone to any of the back four, or to McGillivray - even to Hall because of his workrate.

Early on, Brown and Nelthorpe stood out, but second half they faded away. Bringing on Rowe and Taylor changed nothing. Hardy did make a difference but not by much. Worsfold seemed distinctly below par. I'd have subbed him after 20 minutes.

I missed the previous two home games during which we apparently have scored 8 goals and only conceded 1. Having watched this match, I believe that the Club site has obviously written down the incorrect scores Mad 

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:46 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:Jordan, I heard somebody said you won Carling fan of the year through your Blackburn exploits! If so, what a guy!
    Cheers pal. Went every game, home and away (inc. European and pre-season friendlies) for eight years, but once the new owners decided to rip the heart out of the club for their own personal gain, I decided never to go again whilst they were in charge.

I now enjoy my Saturdays talking my three year old to Harrogate and going to some away games and I love it.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:05 pm

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:After 10 minutes or so, I turned to my wife and said that this would finish 0-0.  Neither team were impressive and I couldn't see a goal being scored at either end.  A poor game between two poor teams, neither showing much to write home about.

Histon's goal was a once in a lifetime shot that on another day would have gone over, or well outside the post.

Unfortunately for us, we didn't have the same opportunity.  I wonder how long Chris Hall will be able to keep focus when opposition teams will know that you need to put 2 big fellas on him, to climb all over his back (how much longer before referees notice this too) and we are then toothless?  When he does get free, there's generally no-one from our lot anywhere near him anyway.  The reason that we don't use the midfield is because it's generally so close to the back four that the two lines are indistinguishable.

Killock got MOM really by default as he did very little wrong IMHO.  It could have gone to any of the back four, or to McGillivray - even to Hall because of his workrate.

Early on, Brown and Nelthorpe stood out, but second half they faded away.  Bringing on Rowe and Taylor changed nothing.  Hardy did make a difference but not by much.  Worsfold seemed distinctly below par.  I'd have subbed him after 20 minutes.

I missed the previous two home games during which we apparently have scored 8 goals and only conceded 1.  Having watched this match, I believe that the Club site has obviously written down the incorrect scores Mad 

good post got it just about right
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:12 pm

Dark Knight wrote:Let's not beat around the bush, Histon are not as good as Town and we should have been beating them yesterday. I looked at them warming up and they looked to be an unusually small side. Certainly should have been no match whatsoever for us physically speaking. I thought maybe we'd see some tiki-taka from them  Laughing  but the very first thing they did from kick off was launch an 80 yard cannonball into no man's land!!! The first half was pretty awful after a bright first few minutes but the warning signs were there. We had quite a few let offs before Histon actually scored. And when they did, what did we do? We immediately started playing like we should. Simon chucked Taylor and Rowe on, then really went for it by throwing Liam on too. Unsurprisingly we bossed them entirely for the rest of the match and Hall got more joy in the last 20 than the whole of the first 70. This is clearly what we need to do. Especially at home. I'm not saying completely throw caution to the wind but we can't go on with Hall winning everything for 90 minutes for nobody in particular. Back four and keeper is largely excellent and picks itself but it's time to freshen things up further up the pitch and give Hall some more support. I keep seeing it said we need a goalscorer or a poacher but Hall would clearly get goals every week if he ever got the opportunity to turn and face it once in a while instead of spending 90 minutes being mounted by opposition centre halves.

Luckily the league table was pretty kind after yesterday's result. Last time we lost, we did an Alan Partridge and bounced back with two great results. I don't know if the team were complacent yesterday or what but if we can get back to back wins again this week we'll be right back in it and can put yesterday behind us.
    excellent post Dark Knight thats just how i saw it yesterday, as i have stated many times not having a goal poacher
    working with Hall will cost us this season the guy cannot do it all himself
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:43 am

Well, to think i rushed back from Norfolk just for that! Only saw the second half, and, lets be honest, we were not tewrrible, just lacking in ideas about how to actually score goals! I don't think that Rowe and Taylor made much difference, a bit more urgency perhaps. Hall, as always, was great but there is no point holding the ball up if no-one is there to capitalise. He must get frustrated. We come to the same old pount don't we: we NEED a 20/25 goals a season striker which we aint had (apart from loan signings) since Danny Holland.

I'm assuming that when the signings were made in the summer, the idea was that Tommy Wright would be the main striker with Hall in support. Well, it never happened and Wright has now gone. Is there a Plan B Simon (and Irving)? Liam has bounced back well, but he isn't going to be that man, neither (at this level) is Beesley. Worsfold flattered to deceive in the first match, so we have no natural goalscorer. As I say Hall is great (our best player this season in my view), but he won't (I think) be a prolific goal getter. We WILL always score some goals: Woods, Rowe, Hall, Worsfold will chip in, but that won't be enough. Teams like Hednesford, Boston, Alty, Ferriby already have multiple scorers, our leading scorer(s) have 2 !

I'm assuming everyone at the club is determined to make a big push for at least the play offs this season, so this issue needs to be addressed. We have money saved from Wrigt's presumably decent wages, lets invest! Is that guy Allott
    from Frickley worth investigating? Bangs them in for fun for them.

But we need both a real goalscorer AND consistency if the play offs are going to happen. Don't have either at the moment.

Saturday not a disaster, but a huge disappointment, will the new fans come back when the weather turns cold unless we are winning at home??
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:22 am

Paul i have been saying this for ages but i get shot down by people who say "we have the strikers" well it's plain to see (by us to anyway) that we don't, Hall is a very good signing but as you say ain't gonig to get 25+ goals a season like you say we need to act now or we will be playing catch up for 4th place,
    i brought two friends along on Saturday after building town up looks like i will be on my own again next home match so come on Irving and Simon go out and find us a goalscorer we need a cult figure for the fans like Alty have
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:37 am

Yeas, we seem to be voices crying in the wilderness! All the off field stuff is great (I'm a big supporter of it), but a successful team is the bottom line, gourmet burgers and new terraces won't mean zip unless the team is winning and playing football people want to see. It will be fascinating to see the attendance on Saturday (especially if we lose tomorrow!), no special offers, weather getting colder, Brackley not bringing many...interesting test for the new regime merthinks!
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Slightly disagree with paulstreet and Dark Knight.

I think Hall could well be the 25 goal striker.  Problem is we'll never know unless there's someone up there with him.  He can't trap the ball with his back to goal, turn, run and plant it in the net all the while he's being pinned down by 2 defenders.

As I said, the opposition are getting to know that we have no other consistent threat than Hall.  Mark him out of the game and we're largely toothless.  Other chip in with a goal now and again but too often he's the only guy anywhere near the goal for the long balls that we keep pumping up.

And we are too slow to build up when we try to play on the ground (usually due to the midfield being behind the goal line) so that the opposition have time to get back before a cross comes in.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:24 pm

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:Slightly disagree with paulstreet and Dark Knight.

I think Hall could well be the 25 goal striker.  
    Actually, that IS what I said. Smile 

Dark Knight wrote: I keep seeing it said we need a goalscorer or a poacher but Hall would clearly get goals every week if he ever got the opportunity to turn and face it once in a while instead of spending 90 minutes being mounted by opposition centre halves.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:00 pm

believe me Hall will not get 25+ goals this season much as i would like, sooner or later he will get peed off not having support up front and go to a club who will give him that support maybe then he will get the required goals

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:28 pm