Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+9
trevdee
gedmaloney
nztownfan
TooManyPies
Big Lundy
htown
TheNeil29
Dan_Gleebitz
rangerider
13 posters

what if we got in the Conference pemier league?

rangerider
    rangerider

what if we got in the Conference pemier league? Empty what if we got in the Conference pemier league?

Post by rangerider Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Just wondering what would be the implications for the club if we did get promoted ie ground, costs, playing staff,etc etc in other words could we cope? what would need to be done?
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

what if we got in the Conference pemier league? Empty Re: what if we got in the Conference pemier league?

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:44 pm

The ground issue has been debated before. I'm not sure whether our ground could be made up to enable us to get to that level but in all honesty I don't know as the regulations are not the most exciting read.

You can google the requirements from (I think) the FA site.

I seem to recall that Car Parking, the number of turnstiles and the height of the perimeter fencing were prohibitive factors. The latter 2 might be fixable, but the Car Parking is a different matter.

Regarding the other items, all I'd say is let's have the problems first

Last edited by Dan_Gleebitz on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    TheNeil29

what if we got in the Conference pemier league? Empty Re: what if we got in the Conference pemier league?

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:42 pm

Car parking isn't a problem, as we have a town centre ten minutes away from the ground, and regular bus services go down Wetherby Road. Look at Fleetwood Town. They are located in the middle of a housing estate in Fleetwood, have an 5000 capacity stadium, and have got League grading.

The only things I can foresee will pose problems, is the turnstiles, which could be solved easily, and i'm sure Irving is already aware of what is required to obtain Conference League grading, and will provide the finances to make it happen, if it does happen this season.
    htown

Post by htown Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:35 pm

All these things can surely be made easier to achieve with that big FA cup cheque. The big problem in my eyes would be full time/part time as if they went full time wages would double and making the club unsustainable so i'm not sure what would happen in that department.Who could town realisitcally keep if they went full time?
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:44 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:Car parking isn't a problem, as we have a town centre ten minutes away from the ground, and regular bus services go down Wetherby Road. Look at Fleetwood Town. They are located in the middle of a housing estate in Fleetwood, have an 5000 capacity stadium, and have got League grading.

The only things I can foresee will pose problems, is the turnstiles, which could be solved easily, and i'm sure Irving is already aware of what is required to obtain Conference League grading, and will provide the finances to make it happen, if it does happen this season.
    If I recall correctly, you need to provide a certain number of car park spaces plus parking for a certain number of coaches actually at the ground - nearby isn't good enough. I think you'll find that Fleetwood's ground is easily up to the standard for the league now.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:46 pm

Ground grading issue’s for Conference Premier has been with us for years!!
    Hence Bill’s plans to relocate to Claro Road!
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    But that’s going to become a new housing estate now!
    The capacity at the CNG is currently too small for Conference Premier & even if the ground is redeveloped it could still be too small for Conference Premier!
    Is a 5,000 capacity ground achievable at the CNG stadium?

TooManyPies

Post by TooManyPies Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:25 pm

The major areas for expansion would be the hospital end where a temporary stand could be put if needed, similarly something temporary along that side of the wetherby road stand though neither would be great they are the easiest temporary solutions. Though they is talk of the Wetherby Road terrace being replaced by an improved terrace at the end of the season though I'm not sure if it would improve capacity. A longer term way to expand would be to build on the grass verge behind the wetherby road stand, problems there could arise if it is considered part of the 200 acre. Also I'm sure nimby's would moan about the trees. The only other way would be to reorganise the buildings at the clubhouse end into a 2 storey arrangement to either give space for a small terrace down that end or a full length Main Stand, again I can see it being a massive problem with the houses behind so its probably impractical, not to mention extremely expensive option. At the end of the day, if the club was going to become permanently of conference standard we would have to move.
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:27 pm

if we got up to the conference away days are a nightmare.... no team is anywhere near us in te country
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Yells bells - let's hope we don't get promoted affraid affraid affraid
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:27 pm

Guiseley’s ground is even smaller than ours!!!!
    Eh up!
    What’s this then?

7 grounds currently in Conference Premier with capacities under 5,000!!!!!

trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:25 pm

I don't mind if we get promoted and then are told our ground isn't good enough...Means we can have some fun and storm this league!!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:26 am

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:
    TheNeil29 wrote:Car parking isn't a problem, as we have a town centre ten minutes away from the ground, and regular bus services go down Wetherby Road. Look at Fleetwood Town. They are located in the middle of a housing estate in Fleetwood, have an 5000 capacity stadium, and have got League grading.

If I recall correctly, you need to provide a certain number of car park spaces plus parking for a certain number of coaches actually at the ground - nearby isn't good enough. I think you'll find that Fleetwood's ground is easily up to the standard for the league now.

I'm aware that Fleetwood's is up to the standard, or they wouldnt be playing in the league. Shocked Shocked Shocked

The FA gradings are there for all to see. If we were to get promoted to the Conference, we would either have to drastically alter the appearance of Wetherby Road to find extra space to improve the attendance, or to arrange a groundshare with a club that has a stadium that conforms to the requirements, or even consider a move. In my opinion, because of all the improvements we have made to Wetherby Road, seems to suggest to me that Irving thinks it can be done at Wetherby Road.
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:51 am

TheNeil29 wrote:
    I'm aware that Fleetwood's is up to the standard, or they wouldnt be playing in the league. Shocked Shocked Shocked
    If I'd read what you put properly, I'd have noticed that Embarassed

TheNeil29 wrote:The FA gradings are there for all to see. If we were to get promoted to the Conference, we would either have to drastically alter the appearance of Wetherby Road to find extra space to improve the attendance, or to arrange a groundshare with a club that has a stadium that conforms to the requirements, or even consider a move. In my opinion, because of all the improvements we have made to Wetherby Road, seems to suggest to me that Irving thinks it can be done at Wetherby Road.
    I've re-looked at them and I think they've changed slightly since the last time I looked. I don't think the turnstile business will be a problem.

I can't see a groundshare working for us in the medium to long term. It was difficult enough to get people to go to York and I don't think either Guiseley or BPA are viable options either if we're to maintain the crowds (I'm not sure either of them come up to the standard for this division either!)

I haven't been round with a tape measure but I'm not sure that some of the width restrictions could be overcome - but I'm willing to be proved wrong. As you say, a lot of work would need to be done.

Regarding the Car Parking and coach park - given that there is a lot of work going on at the Hospital, I would not be surprised to see that little bit of parking next to the ground come our way permanently.

Last edited by Dan_Gleebitz on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : trypo)
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:06 pm

My only concern is the capacity, to be honest:

1.3 Capacity

The stadium must have a minimum capacity of 4,000 spectators, including the seated spectators, as
    certified by the local authority or calculated by a competent person, in accordance with the “Guide to
    Safety at Sports Grounds”, (Green Guide) current edition at the time of inspection, with the potential to
    achieve a capacity of 5,000 in the future. The Football Association and the Football Conference
    reserve the right to appoint a suitably qualified person to review and, if found necessary, amend the
    capacity figure.

The club must have the ability to segregate home and visiting supporters. Any segregated area must
    have exclusive entrances, exits, ladies and gentlemens toilet facilities and catering facilities. The latter
    may be of the mobile type.

According to my knowledge, our ground can hold 3800 ish? If we put a stand at the hospital end, and also expanded the main seated stand, with a bit more tweaking, then 5000 is a possiblity. I'm not sure how flexible the hospital would be on that car park though......
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:19 pm

we don't need a bigger ground i think depending on how well we would do i would expect a home crowed of maybe 700+ but the floodlights would need to be upgraded, i heard that FA are more concerned that promoted clubs are solvent and may relax some of the stipulations laid down, but something needs to be done to cover the hospital end been needed for many years
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:31 pm

I don't think the hospital will let us have that car park. They have just extended the building around the back (losing carpark space) and they are currently building on the Wetherby Road side (again losing valuable staff parking space) so although they have built multi-story, they still need the additional. Plus they may want to build on that site in the future if they require another specialty department as space is very limited around the hospital to expand now.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:31 pm

I hope I am wrong though because that car park could let the ground expand into a conference standard ground and it seems the only option for me.
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:32 pm

Why don't we amalgamate with Harrogate Railway? They own their own ground and it could be developed into a very nice football league ground with parking and a railway station nearby. The combined number of supporters would increase revenue and vocals at home games and encourage more away support. I'm sure Yorkshire Tea would permit the club to use their extensive parking space if needed which is only a five minute walk away. Coaches and cars could easily be directed there from Knaresborough Rd. This is the way forward for Harrogate in the football world. I'm quite happy to arrange a meeting of the Chairmen and Directors from both clubs to discuss if this idea has any impetus. Both clubs steeped in football but not fulfilling their ambitions. The stumbling blocks could be overcome and think of the benefits if some pride could be swallowed. I'm sure the Council would back any discussions re an amalgamation as they would benefit from being able to develop the Wetherby Rd site. This in turn would allow the Council to financially support this development. I's to the left, No's to the right. What do you think Forum members/participants/observers and wind up merchants?
    TooManyPies

Post by TooManyPies Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:16 pm

Ball and Socket wrote:Why don't we amalgamate with Harrogate Railway? They own their own ground and it could be developed into a very nice football league ground with parking and a railway station nearby. The combined number of supporters would increase revenue and vocals at home games and encourage more away support. I'm sure Yorkshire Tea would permit the club to use their extensive parking space if needed which is only a five minute walk away. Coaches and cars could easily be directed there from Knaresborough Rd. This is the way forward for Harrogate in the football world. I'm quite happy to arrange a meeting of the Chairmen and Directors from both clubs to discuss if this idea has any impetus. Both clubs steeped in football but not fulfilling their ambitions. The stumbling blocks could be overcome and think of the benefits if some pride could be swallowed. I'm sure the Council would back any discussions re an amalgamation as they would benefit from being able to develop the Wetherby Rd site. This in turn would allow the Council to financially support this development. I's to the left, No's to the right. What do you think Forum members/participants/observers and wind up merchants?

Have to totally disagree. I think we are richer for the rivalry, Railways ground isn't that much better suited to development and I'm not sure whether the combined fanbase would still be enough for a conference premier side either.
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:46 pm

Small time outlook TMP. The challenge of change puts many off. The rivalry!!! What rivalry??? Celtic/Rangers, Arsenal/Spurs, Liverpool/Everton. That's what you call rivalry. Do me a favour TMP go back to your book/studying? Harrogate has at the moment a small town attitude and outlook. There needs to be a shake up and amalgamation would be a way out of this small town complacency.
    TooManyPies

Post by TooManyPies Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:19 pm

Welcome to the Harrogate bubble B&S. Conference ground regs have been debated by Town fans before and time and again. Ourselves and the rugby club have shown that there isn't an appetite for serious expansion by the teams in Harrogate. We have consistently peaked at around 500 fans in BSN and wouldn't increase much further if we got promoted. Merging with Railway and their 100 fans wouldn't solve anything. Also, you wouldn't get planning permission to expand their ground and, despite what you claim there is a real rivalry that I think adds to the football in the Town, just ask anyone who was at the 2007 FA cup game. It would also result in a halved effort in youth football provision. The only realistic thing to do is to wait for the housing company to give up on Claro Road and move in there because the NIMBY's dislike the idea of a football ground only slightly less than the idea of more cars on Skipton Road. I think the rugby club and ourselves were refused planning permission every other patch of grass in a 5 mile radius.
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Lived round here for as long as you have breathed young man. The bubble will burst when someone takes the bull by the horns. Youth football is thriving and would continue to do so. I'm trying to get more debate going. We need to get promotion. This will increase local support by the interest created even if it means locals come down and see the visiting teams who will have a core of supporters. I have been to more Town v Railway games than you have had hot dinners.Small potatoes Sam. One day I'll take you to a proper game with atmosphere. Celtic v Rangers Scottish Cup Final attended by 134,000. Now we're talking. I read today that the Council are not happy with granting Crest permission to build on Claro Rd. That would mean no new Rugby Club at Rudding!!
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:41 pm

it won't matter houses WILL be built on the rugby ground no matter what the council say if they cannot stop a coffee house opening in Knaresborough what chance have they against Crest Homes, i would love to see Town play at Claro Road but it ain't going to happen believe me and i don't see anywhere in Harrogate for a new ground mores the pity
    TooManyPies

Post by TooManyPies Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Missed the part about houses having to be built on Claro Road being a requirement. Shame when it would be the ideal solution, Wetherby Road would be good for houses too. In terms of experiencing derbies B&S I think Tyne-Wear, State of Origin Rugby League, The Ashes and the Aussie Rules Western Derby are enough to be going on with. We don't particularly need promotion, I would sooner see us running sustainably without input from Irving and I don't think its clear that promotion benefits us financially because of additional running costs. I don't think merging with Railway would help us financially either. I admire your ambition and would support any project for the growth of football in Harrogate, even a merger, if it got real majority support however I don't think there is an appetite in Harrogate for it.
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:29 pm

if were honest are we good enough that if we did make it into the conference, we whould be able to pull ourselfs into being a regular in the league Question

I think the investment needed in the squad whould need to be massive and the attendences whould have to increase?? m hoping we go up but i whoud expect it to be a one or maybe two year thing anyway before we are relegated (call me mr negaitve al you want but im just trying to be realistic)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:36 am