Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+5
paulstreet
Dan_Gleebitz
ChrisM
JackHTFC
Big Lundy
9 posters

***Ideas Section!***

Big Lundy

***Ideas Section!*** Empty ***Ideas Section!***

Post by Big Lundy Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:07 pm

An opportunity for Town fans to think of ideas “outside of the biscuit tin” so to speak!

One mentioned @ the forum was for Leeds United season ticket holders to be allowed entry into the CNG stadium for half price next season!

Another could be that Harrogate Town season ticket holders can travel half price (on match days only) on Harrogate District Travel [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Or Connexions Buses [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    With a bus stop just outside the ground & both company’s with a very regular service past the CNG stadium!!!

A more extreme idea a ground share @ Station View!!!
    But before that happens land next to Railways ground (the old NYCC Depot) would have to be bought!
    This is currently designated employment land but is being lined up to have Housing Association properties built on it!
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Once this land is acquired the redevelopment of the ground could begin with Railway ground sharing @ the CNG!!!
    If the money could be found of course first!
    The pitch @ Station View would need to be turned around, levelled & moved nearer to the railway line!
    A 6,000 capacity stadium could then be built around it!
    A footbridge could be built at the end of Starbeck Station with a pathway running down the side of the railway line to the ground!
    This would help reduce congestion on Station View!
    With a Bilton rail halt a possibility it might not be such a daft idea!!!
    A traffic light system would need to be put in place @ the corner of Station View & the High Street on match days!
    The locals would have the opportunity of using the social facilities at the ground!
    With training facilities next to the ground for the players!
    The NHS & Housing Association could then share the land vacated on Wetherby Road!
    A fantasy island idea but when you look at the area on Bing maps
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    May be not!!!

Any more realistic ideas out there?

JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

***Ideas Section!*** Empty Re: ***Ideas Section!***

Post by JackHTFC Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:46 pm

Bus stop outside the ground sounds a very good idea. Or a shuttle bus running from the bus/train station to the ground would make me happy!
    What about memberships? You pay a bit at the start of the season and get a cheaper match entry and discounts on club merchandise.
    Talking of merchandise: What's happening to the club shop?
    ChrisM
    ChrisM

Post by ChrisM Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:50 pm

I think maybe a promotional game with 1 under 18 free with every adult will help build the future support base for the club.

How about a rewards scheme where you get a reward for attending so many games, so you collect a stamp and on the 5th stamp you get in at a reduced rate?

Bring a friend day, where the friend gets in half price?

Is there a supporters club? Be cool to have one if we don't!

Appeal more to families: Have a family day, with activities for kids, face painting etc.

Free season tickets to under-11s when accompanied by an adult?

Newspaper promotions/vouchers to bring people in who might think its not value for money?

Offering seats to schools/community groups for free to get secondary income through merchandising/food etc

I think the moves the club has made to be more involved with the community and blogs etc are a great move. Need to keep up with it Smile

Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:25 am

I'm not being facetious big L but ideas for what?

If it's to get more people to the games then (and again, I'm not being facetious), being more "sure" of seeing Town win would be a start - or at least seeing a good game. Nothing brings a crowd in like success, trust me.

The club is starting to get noticeably more friendly IMHO. Under Bill and Wiggy, I always felt that the fans should feel privileged that they were being allowed anywhere near the ground. There were times when I almost thought s*d it, I won't come next time. Unfortunately mud sticks and it'll take a while for us to shake off that particular label but there seems definite progress. A BIG tick there then.

And on that theme, fostering good relations with the local press and radio won't go amiss - it may have been a nasty rumour I heard but I was told that there was a bit of an "us and them" attitude with the papers and Stray FM from the club in former times.

As far as I'm aware, the home club in the league gets to keep all the receipts from matches. So why not attract more away support as well? Subsidised coaches for the fans of other teams to our ground? They'll (probably) buy teas etc which will fill the coffers too. Make sure the coaches pull up outside the Crossbar.

How many season tickets do we sell? I've never bought one as I travel a fair bit and it wouldn't be economic with the matches I have to miss. Can we afford to do without them all together and have a few "half price" matches instead (the less popular ones possibly)?

What about a few matches with a "family ticket"? 2 adults and 2 kids for a reduced rate (say £15?)

Just a few thoughts.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:24 am

Interesting thoughts, hope I live long enough to see Big Lundy's dream come true! No doubt that the current regime are trying to address years of neglect of the fans under the previous regime: I won't say anymore. Its true that having a winning team is the best way to build fan support (we DID get up to about 550/600 before the roof fell in). Simple things like 1) a shop selling a wide range of stuff 2) reform the supporters club, perhaps subsidise away travel 3) more of a presence in the town centre@ posters in shops. leaflet distribution etc. What about a publicity blitz in August just before the season starts? Its a pity the ground won't be available for friendlies this year otherwise I'd suggest trying to get a really big team along: get a big crowd in and issue money off vouchers for 1 or 2 league games for everyone who comes in 4) make season tickets much more of a saving: look at how Bradford have kept crowds of about 10,000 (despite being rubbish!), by having really cheap season ticket offers. £100.00 season tickets if bought before a certain date (with heavy advertising to promote it)

We have to be realistic, Harrogate is NOT a typical football town, even in the Conf Prem I guess we would struggle to get 800 or so, but there is no reason not to try and get back to the 500/600 we had just before Mr. Aspin left us. But to repeat, above all Simon Weaver needs to construct a winning team: all else flows from that.
    ChrisM
    ChrisM

Post by ChrisM Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:09 pm

I grew up in Worksop and attended there for roughly 10 years of my life before moving away for university, so I can wholeheartedly agree on the winning = more support, with the best league gates being when we played Burton Albion (then 1st in the league, Worksop 2nd) where over 1k people attended. Worksop were placed well, and often had pre season games with then premiership Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Barnsley and often a Manchester United seconds would come too. These obviously brought in many fans, and links with these clubs also benefited Worksop, who loaned several players from Sheffield Wednesday in my time there. ALso the day the legendary Chris Waddle signed and played also boosted attendances!

On the subject of Bradford and Season tickets, I red an article on how the price of theirs has been a model for other clubs to follow, I cant find the link now but I think they did their research with regards to pricing and went from there.

Paul, due to moving to Harrogate in the last two years could you explain why Harrogate isn't a football town?

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:28 pm

In a word Bettys! To be serious, Harrogate is I guess a very middle class kind of town (dare one say 'posh'), and, the prawn sandwhich brigade at Old Tafford excepted, football is still I guess a sport watched by what we used to call the working class (showing my age here!). I may be stereotyping both Harrogate and football supporters here, but I think there is some truth to this. I somwetimes shop in Waitrose Shocked , and to be honest I can't imagine many of my fellow shoppers donning the yellow and black scarves Smile

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:53 pm

You would be surprised how many football supporters live in the Harrogate District!
    They might not watch us but they certainly travel to watch live football at other clubs!
    They can afford to!!!!
    Loads-a-money!!!!!!!
    Football used to be a working class sport!!!!!!
    Betty’s is also a tourist attraction!

yorkie-girl

Post by yorkie-girl Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:11 am

Big Lundy wrote:You would be surprised how many football supporters live in the Harrogate District!
    They might not watch us but they certainly travel to watch live football at other clubs!
    They can afford to!!!!
    Loads-a-money!!!!!!!
    Football used to be a working class sport!!!!!!
    Betty’s is also a tourist attraction!

Advertising is the key word here... as said, Bettys is more for the tourists... a friend of mine supports his home town(in BSP)but at the same time supports a team from the 'big league'... if HTFC is promoted in a way of pre-match events involving more of the folk with families to attend the events who in return enjoy watching a game or two might just be a small help (?) Idea If folk can listen to Radio 1 and still have a Stray FM sticker in their cars then the same can work in footie teams!

I always wanted to go to a match when I was younger but my father said it was a man thing and children can't go, especially with me being a girl !!
    So families is the way forward to get the 'ball' rolling... that's what I think Smile

As for yellow an black scarfs... I want one and so do my three lads
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:22 am

Fair point Big Lundy, and after all 3300 people did come and watch us (almost) beat Torquay a few years back, sadly about 2800 of them never came back! So they are out there, need to try and make the CNG a more attractive, exciting place to come.
    I'm very surprised the new regime appears to have given up on selling merchandise this season: surely a table selling scarves, pens, mugs etc. could be organised. They would sell at least 4 scarves Smile I know we are supposed to be getting a shop next season (lets hope there are no glitches in the planning permission).
    ChrisM
    ChrisM

Post by ChrisM Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:30 am

I think the ground development can only help things.

I think the front of the ground looks so unappealing as you drive past! It would be nice if the games were advertised in town, in local shops etc.

I wonder if Town Merchandise could be sold in the local sport stores (I know sports direct won't, but maybe others will)

Is there any more info on the development bar what Weaver snr said in interviews?
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:23 pm

A bit of a mystery the lack of available merchandise!
    We have had fans wanting to buy scarves @ the matches!
    Very Happy
    But then haven’t got any to sell to them!!!
    scratch
    I think there used to be a small unit in Knaresborough, Castle Courtyard? That used to sell Town merchandise years ago!

Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:26 am

ChrisM wrote:Paul, due to moving to Harrogate in the last two years could you explain why Harrogate isn't a football town?

Oh I have been soooooo waiting for a chance to post on this subject. Thanks ChrisM for giving me the opportunity Twisted Evil

Harrogate is a backwater full of old people reading the Daily Fail and trophy wives (mind you, I wonder about what trophies they are sometimes Shocked ). At some stage the town will be dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century, however that day is a long while off. Try driving along Wetherby Road at over 15 mph and see the looks you get Rolling Eyes I'm surprised there isn't a by-law requiring someone to walk in front with a red flag affraid .

I moved here from South Leeds (though that isn't where I originate from) and I was stunned by the attitudes. It's like a land that time forgot, trust me. Betty's is a good example. To most people,Betty's is a quaint throwback to a bygone age. An experience to be talked about and chuckled over. To Harrogate residents it's how life actually is.

A christmas shopping expedition here is to the White Rose Centre. The Trafford Centre or Meadowhall are HUGE places that one can get lost in and should therefore be avoided. There be dragons.

Edward II tried to ban football "Forasmuch as there is great noise in the city caused by hustling over large balls from which many evils may arise which God forbid; we command and forbid, on behalf of the King, on pain of imprisonment, such game to be used in the city in the future."

And it's that kind of attitude that has football viewed in Harrogate as the sport of the servant classes - one for the ruffians who "aren't one of us". You won't see many references to Rugby League either for the same reasons. I'll point out now that I went to a Rugby Union playing school, hence my intense dislike of all things related to "egg-chasing".

You may think I'm joking. I would be if it wasn't so real.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:47 pm

I like most of these posts and ideas, and some influential people within the club would do well to read these and take some ideas on board.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:16 pm

Just as matter of interest does anyone know if someone from the club monitors this forum? They should do.
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:43 am

paulstreet wrote:Just as matter of interest does anyone know if someone from the club monitors this forum? They should do.

Yes, In essence me!

All, I can say is at the moment. There are plans in the pipeline regards merchandise. Hopefully things will start coming together soon. As someone else said it is a case of getting things right one step at a time around the ground.

The management know it has been frustrating for the fans but great strides are being made behind the scenes that all will be able to see soon!

Please however, keep all the suggestions coming.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:28 am

What is your opinion on the £10 match fee? Is it value for money? I believe that if we did drop the prices by a pound or 2, and had deals for families and other concessions, apart from the obvious, and also with the right advertisement, then we would have more support.

I'd rather have 600 fans at £8 a pop than £300 at £10 a pop. Plus 600 fans would contribute more to the merchandising, the bar, the food and other elements of the club, bringing more money in! These are just rough figures, but you can see exactly where I am coming from.

I fully realise that this may not be the most ideal solution, but you have to speculate to accumulate.

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 am

To be fair, the £10/5 prices are not bad for this league. I paid £9.50 concession at the Shay Saturday Shocked And £3.00 for the programme. Nonetheless I do think some 'special offers' may help to get new people in. I still like the idea of a cheap Season Ticket if bought in advance (i.e. Bradford City). Nonetheless the fact is that if Town were, say, 6th in the league battling for a play off spot, we'd be getting 500 or so through the gates...boring to keep saying it, but results count.
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:09 am

The thing about pricing is that it's more convenient to have multiples of £5 as that's what most people seem to carry with them (well I do anyway). My youngest stepdaughter needs £3 per day for school and we have the devils own job digging up enough change for her.

£10 including a free programme might work, but as Paul says, the FIRST requirement is really to have a reasonable chance of seeing you team win - or at least a good match.
    Doggy

Post by Doggy Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:42 pm

paulstreet wrote:To be fair, the £10/5 prices are not bad for this league. I paid £9.50 concession at the Shay Saturday Shocked And £3.00 for the programme. Nonetheless I do think some 'special offers' may help to get new people in. I still like the idea of a cheap Season Ticket if bought in advance (i.e. Bradford City). Nonetheless the fact is that if Town were, say, 6th in the league battling for a play off spot, we'd be getting 500 or so through the gates...boring to keep saying it, but results count.

I was @ Bradford City Vs Accrington Stanley (who are they?) last night and they have introduced a 50 Quid Flex i Card. This offers fans another option to a Full Season ticket (each match works out @ 9 Quid a pop) The Flex i Card Works out @ 10 quid a pop (Half the Normal Price) So after 5 matches you break even. Then 10 Quid from there on in you also have your own seat. This works out fine for me as I do split between City & Town. As Phil Parkinson says "Lets make the ground a Fortress". I imagine the Regular season ticket sales will stay the same. Plus then the Added sales of the Flex i Card would probabley boost the regular crowd from roughley 11,000 to about 15,000 + if fans bring mates with them. City will Fill Valley Parade and the Bank Account with the extra income.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:45 am