Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

5 posters

Solihull Moors(H)

Chips97

Solihull Moors(H) Empty Solihull Moors(H)

Post by Chips97 Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:17 pm

Well here we go again, the first game of the season is just around the corner.

Starting this thread to see what people's thoughts are on the season ahead and for the first game, what are people's thoughts on the lineup to start the game also.

I'm feeling fairly positive about the season ahead albeit disappointed with the departure of Callum Howe so soon before the season starts. It's clear to see we are lacking in defenders not just in the centre but I do worry that we've got Burrell as cover for literally left-back/right-back/centre-back. A huge positive we need to remember though is that we have a proper left-back for this season! Let's just hope he can last all 46 games....😂
    Overall though I do feel the squad as a whole is stronger than last season especially in midfield with the likes of an experienced Scott Brown, a proper finisher/exciting player in Sam Jones and a player to get you off your seats in Brendan Kiernan. Add that to the likes of Leesley and Falkingham and we're onto good things.

Onto the lineup for the first game of the season, two players in our squad will miss out completely and it's not an easy choice. I personally think Simon will go for the same team that started against Spennymoor but I think we need an extra man in the centre of midfield and sacrifice a striker. This is mainly to deal with Solihull as the huge threat they will cause. To try deal with the set-piece threat I think Burrell needs to play in place of Fallowfield just to add a slight bit more height to the team. My team below:

GK) Belshaw
    RB) Burrell
    LB) G. Smith
    CB) W. Smith
    CB) Hall
    DM) Brown
    CM) Falkingham
    CM) Emmett
    RW) Kiernan
    LW) Leesley
    ST) Beck

Subs: Cracknell, Fallowfield, Kerry, Muldoon & Stead.
    WhiteRose11

Solihull Moors(H) Empty Re: Solihull Moors(H)

Post by WhiteRose11 Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:25 pm

I think you could well be right with your team selection because Simon has said in a recent interview that he has signed payers to start so he has probably guaranteed them starting places - irrespective.
    We have played one sort of decent team in pre season Gateshead so don't think we have had the tests that we should have had and proved the new players to sort selection but that maybe deliberate due to my comment above - all of the players shined against the opposition we have faced so far with the exception of Gateshead. Saturday will be the real first test for the team, for Simon and his new team, for some players in this new league. Win and I take my hat off to him - but very worried.

Ozzi

Post by Ozzi Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:04 pm

Don’t think you’ll be far off with that team Chips97. I agree about Burrell rather than Ryan against this opposition. Both quality players, but Burrell in only on the height factor. Tough test to start with yes, but one we can win. With Beck in good form, and Leesley and Kieran in good form, we may surprise a few.
    COYT.
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:01 am

[quote="WhiteRose11"]I think you could well be right with your team selection because Simon has said in a recent interview that he has signed payers to start so he has probably guaranteed them starting places - irrespective.
    We have played one sort of decent team in pre season Gateshead so don't think we have had the tests that we should have had and proved the new players to sort selection but that maybe deliberate due to my comment above - all of the players shined against the opposition we have faced so far with the exception of Gateshead. Saturday will be the real first test for the team, for Simon and his new team, for some players in this new league. Win and I take my hat off to him - but very worried.

Spennymoor will make the play-offs, Gateshead won't.
    WhiteRose11

Post by WhiteRose11 Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:54 am

Spennymoor will make the play-offs, Gateshead won't. [/quote]
    [/quote]

That maybe correct but Spennymoor didn't play a strong line up against us
    Ozzi

Post by Ozzi Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:25 am

Well...what a 2nd half performance from our lads in Yellow. Tremendous once we’d started playing the ball across the floor. Introducing Lloyd for a some what subdued Jack was Simon/Paul’s masterstroke. He gave us a much more solid looking balance and thru him and Falks we really turned the screw. Some really noticeable performances against a tough big side. In the first half they played to there strengths, which was expected, direct. Obviously not to our liking, but as mentioned, in the second half we really got to grips and started playing. I think Belly was assured throughout. Conner at the back got better and better as the game went on. Falks was his usual authoritive self marshalling the troops well. Then our forwards, Brendan, Joe and my MOM Becks were first class. Beck was magnificent, and gave Callum Howe a real test, if fact Howe looked almost out on his feet near the end. Congratulations to Brendan on winning the Champagne MOM. If only he’d of put away that header in the 88th minute, what a start it would of been. Still, a point against probably one of the Title favourites bodes well. Roll on Tuesday at Barrow, and let’s try nick all x3 points.
    COYT.
    Mr Apples

Post by Mr Apples Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:52 am

Well a curate's egg, in terms of both halves and strengths/weaknesses. The defence looks suspect in parenthesis, only mitigated by the excellent Belshaw. If he is here at the end of the season, I'd be surprised. Conversely, when we played to our strengths, ran at them they couldn't cope, looked far from title contenders. From where I was in the 'ginger-bread oven stand', Jack E was a useful and integral part of that, worked well with BK. That guy is just to good for this level, and league teams will come a knocking, be sure of it. But, leave the penalties to a steadier hand, mate. Just goes to show what a circus scouting and football agents are in the UK. No, what made us look awesome (and smaller teams won't cope) was Beck and Stead together up front. If we go on the front foot, rid ourselves of the tendency to fall back (when we invariably concede), promotion is an outside bet. BUT - and I know its the holiday season and all that bollocks - but the crowd?!? What does it take to get a meaningful number of bodies through the bloody turnstiles? The dream isn't sustainable on that kind of crowd, for either side.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:40 am