Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+9
TownUltra
Town Lishke
Townfan
Up The Town
town supporter
yorkiebar
thetallaccountant
slicker
trevdee
13 posters

Paul Clayton

Townfan
    Townfan

Paul Clayton Empty Paul Clayton

Post by Townfan Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:29 pm

I think he was on a one month loan. Played on Boxing day against Guiseley so the loan must be up now.
    anybody know?

Paul Clayton Empty Re: Paul Clayton

Post by Guest Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:55 pm

Townfan wrote:I think he was on a one month loan.  Played on Boxing day against Guiseley so the loan must be up now.
    anybody know?

I thought I heard that it has been extended...may be wrong though.

Was thinking the same about Thewlis as he is only with us for a month apparently.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:59 pm

He's shite, he's poor and he hasnt even scored a goal. It's Paul Clayton...........Paul Clayton.

I'm sure that Thewlis is permanent and Nyoni/Gascoigne are loans?
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:54 pm

NLP report from Saturday (done by Solihull) Clayton was Man of the Match
    yorkiebar

Post by yorkiebar Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:12 pm

Sleep 7 games , no goals , !!!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:24 pm

Townfan wrote:NLP report from Saturday (done by Solihull) Clayton was Man of the Match

Townfan,

Strikers are judged on goals. And for us, he has had 7 games, and not scored any goals. To add to this, he starts ahead of Walshaw, who is in double figures already this season? And if played regular, it would be 20 by now?

Just me being cynical, but Walshaw is a better option than Clayton.

yorkiebar

Post by yorkiebar Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:39 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:
    Townfan wrote:NLP report from Saturday (done by Solihull) Clayton was Man of the Match

Townfan,

Strikers are judged on goals. And for us, he has had 7 games, and not scored any goals. To add to this, he starts ahead of Walshaw, who is in double figures already this season? And if played regular, it would be 20 by now?

Just me being cynical, but Walshaw is a better option than Clayton.

spot on , wally must have upset waldorf & stad
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:31 pm

I will go against the grain here by saying I prefer Clayton as he puts alot more pressure on the defenders than Walshaw....Yea he could do with sticking a few chances away but he is the type of player, almost bully like that we need leading the front.....Obviously Wally is a great finisher but he doesn't put himself around enough for me.
    slicker
    slicker

Post by slicker Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:18 pm

Is it possible for Wally and Clayton to play on the same pitch at the same time ?

Discuss...

S.
    thetallaccountant
    thetallaccountant

Post by thetallaccountant Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:37 pm

They did away at Barrow. Wally had a decent enough game; Clayton was superb that day, standing up to the physical approach of the home side and leading the way in an excellent rearguard action. I couldn't argue he has been prolific in front of goal though.
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:53 pm

With so many comings and goings it would be helpful if we could have clarification from someone (the club?) about who's on loan or who has signed, if on loan how long for, who's been loaned out by us, where to and for how long etc.
    TownUltra
    TownUltra

Post by TownUltra Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Clayton is absolute quality, he gives everything. He wins every header, he holds the ball up and lays it off well. He harries the defenders. Yes goals are important, but wins are more so and he was a key reason why Town won on Saturday. He flew in to the tackles all game, he gave absolutely everything. When the game finished he beat his chest and came over to the Town fans- class. Wally is quality too but a different sort of striker, a finisher rather than a target man. I'd like to see them play together, but realistically Clayton should start and Simon probably won't change the team as currently their is a winning formula. Hopefully the goals will also come for Clayton too soon.
    town supporter

Post by town supporter Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:11 am

From what I've seen I've also been impressed by Clayton - not overly concerned with his goalscoring record at this stage. Boston had two men on him for most of the game which tells you where they thought the threat came from. It's also the reason some of the younger lads had such success. His link up play was about the best you'll see at this level. However, I do wonder what weaver will do to him by the end of he season - I'd suggest putting ear plugs in if I was Paul and just play on instinct.

Walshaw on the other hand is a lost cause now and needs to be moved on. A complete waste of talent unfortunately.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:27 am

Well, thats me told then by you lot.

I just feel that at this level, strikers have to be judged on their goal return. This season, Walshaw has 12, Clayton has 0.

I dont know what the situation with Walshaw is, but one thing I do know is that he needs to be utilised in the team, rather than letting somebody who I believe is our biggest earner sat on the bench. He doesnt just play as a striker, he can play on the wing also. On the basis of goal returns, Walshaw is a more proven option to fire us up the table, but I can see why Simon likes Clayton.

A lot of you do value Clayton, and I think he is a physically strong player, who offers something different, but the most important thing to me is getting the ball in the back of the net, as that is what wins you games. At this level, Walshaw is as prolific as they come, Clayton is not.

All Walshaw needs is a run in the first team, and he would soon be back amongst the goals.

However, although I do think Walshaw is better than Clayton, I can see why Simon would be resistant to change his starting 11 at this moment in time.

Gainsborough will be a further indication of what the youngsters are capable of. If another win is on the cards, then I may start looking at the League table once again.
    yorkiebar

Post by yorkiebar Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:01 am

town supporter wrote:From what I've seen I've also been impressed by Clayton - not overly concerned with his goalscoring record at this stage.  Boston had two men on him for most of the game which tells you where they thought the threat came from. It's also the reason some of the younger lads had such success. His link up play was about the best you'll see at this level. However, I do wonder what weaver will do to him by the end of he season - I'd suggest putting ear plugs in if I was Paul and just play on instinct.

Walshaw on the other hand is a lost cause now and needs to be moved on. A complete waste of talent unfortunately.
    walshaw top scorer at the club , nearly as many as the rest put together, clayton could,nt score to save is liife , as for being a target man , he would do alot better if he could jump of the floor,
    ultimate warrior
    ultimate warrior

Post by ultimate warrior Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:07 pm

Walshaw vs Clayton no contest for me Walshaw every time you cannot rely on the midfield to keep scoring goals just ask Liverpool but i would like to see them together
    ultimate warrior
    ultimate warrior

Post by ultimate warrior Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:44 pm

Good news
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:51 am

Yes, pleased about this. He has done well in my opinion (altho' a goal or two would be nice!). I would like to see him and Walshaw played together. Thewlis has done well, and is clearly one for the future, but we surely cannot leave one of the league's big hitters on the bench for much longer.
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:28 pm

Fully agree with the above comments. I think Clayton has shown commitment and worked hard for us. With his past record surely goals will come. Good luck to him - but let's have Wally back in the side as well.
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:11 pm

Anybody notice anything strange about the picture of Clayton on the official site ?
    town supporter

Post by town supporter Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:53 pm

Townfan wrote:Anybody notice anything strange about the picture of Clayton on the official site ?

Not seen it yet - is it him scoring a goal?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:21 pm

Townfan wrote:Anybody notice anything strange about the picture of Clayton on the official site ?

Can we have a clue TF....just been looking at the picture for 10 minutes and can't see anything 'strange'.
    TownUltra
    TownUltra

Post by TownUltra Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:49 pm

Something is missing JF...
    ultimate warrior
    ultimate warrior

Post by ultimate warrior Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:42 am

TownUltra wrote:Something is missing JF...

His glasses ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:50 pm