Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+5
SteveClarkey11
rangerider
TheNeil29
Gareth192001
OllieRiley
9 posters

Stalybridge Game

OllieRiley
    OllieRiley

Stalybridge Game Empty Stalybridge Game

Post by OllieRiley Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:46 pm

Back to the football then! Looking forward to this one, first night home game of the season. What would be your starting eleven ? Here's mine...

Barnes (GK)

Meynell (WBK)
    Mcgurk (CB)
    Killock (CB)
    Turner (WBK)

Lloyd Kerry (CM)
    Lenighan (CM)

Ryan Kendall (CAM)
    Jake Speight (CAM

James Walshaw (ST)
    Margetts (ST)

Attack, attack, attack!

Stalybridge Game Empty Re: Stalybridge Game

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:55 pm

OllieRiley wrote:Back to the football then! Looking forward to this one, first night home game of the season. What would be your starting eleven ? Here's mine...

Barnes (GK)

Meynell (WBK)
    Mcgurk (CB)
    Killock (CB)
    Turner (WBK)

Lloyd Kerry (CM)
    Lenighan (CM)

Ryan Kendall (CAM)
    Jake Speight (CAM

James Walshaw (ST)
    Margetts (ST)

Attack, attack, attack!

Pretty much the same except Adam for Lenighan.

I hope Killock plays but I think it more likely to be Heath.
    Gareth192001

Post by Gareth192001 Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:38 pm

Margetts swap with Kendall and I would play franks over killer and Heath if he's fit
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:56 am

Well, I'd be very surprised if Killock plays. My selection would be as follows:

Crook (GK)

Meynell (WBK)
    McGurk (CB)
    Killock (CB)
    Turner (WBK)

Lloyd Kerry (CM)
    Adam Nowakowski (CM)

Dominic Rowe (CAM)
    Jake Speight (CAM)

James Walshaw (ST)
    Margetts (ST)

This game is a must win tonight. No other result would be acceptable. We are already 10 points from top position. It can not become any more. We must win, and win well.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Well, now that my heart rate is back to normal, we were very, very lucky to get the 3 points. A very scrappy performance and how Stalybridge didn't score is beyond me. Simon and Macca were screaming at the players not to play deep and to get out, but they just didn't listen. They were screaming instructions out to the players, and the majority of players just did not take it on board. They bought Dom Rowe on and apart from 2 runs, he done nothing but give the ball away and their numbers 10 and 7 caused us all kinds of problems. Ryan Kendall MOTM? God knows what game they were watching. My MOTM was either Kerry or Walshaw. Lenighan done well tonight as well.

If it wasn't for Walshaw, we would be screwed and if we play like that against Solihull on Saturday, they will annihilate us. Bradford PA got beat by Chorley, Fylde won again, Guiseley drew and Boston got thrashed.

We are now 16th. We need to go on a run now, because the way Chorley, Fylde and Barrow have started, we will get left behind if we don't.

3 points is the minimum expectation on Saturday.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:01 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:Well, now that my heart rate is back to normal, we were very, very lucky to get the 3 points. A very scrappy performance and how Stalybridge didn't score is beyond me. Simon and Macca were screaming at the players not to play deep and to get out, but they just didn't listen. They were screaming instructions out to the players, and the majority of players just did not take it on board. They bought Dom Rowe on and apart from 2 runs, he done nothing but give the ball away and their numbers 10 and 7 caused us all kinds of problems. Ryan Kendall MOTM? God knows what game they were watching. My MOTM was either Kerry or Walshaw. Lenighan done well tonight as well.

If it wasn't for Walshaw, we would be screwed and if we play like that against Solihull on Saturday, they will annihilate us. Bradford PA got beat by Chorley, Fylde won again, Guiseley drew and Boston got thrashed.

We are now 16th. We need to go on a run now, because the way Chorley, Fylde and Barrow have started, we will get left behind if we don't.

3 points is the minimum expectation on Saturday.

got to agree with most of what you say, we where poor the football was dire just hoofing the ball in the first half is not going to win us anything this season, i thought Walshaw was brilliant tonight he was everywhere and scored a good goal MOTM for me how Kendal got it is beyond me but after giving Lenigan the MOTM at the last home game maybe i am expecting to much,
    at the moment we are an average side and will finish mid table if we carry on playing as we are, we got lucky tonight and a draw would have been a fairer result, some crazy results tonight Oxford got beat 1-8 on Saturday and then go to Boston and win 2-7 whats that all about?
    SteveClarkey11

Post by SteveClarkey11 Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:01 pm

Missed the match tonight as I was at work, hearing a mixture of feedback about tonight's match though!

Also am I right about hearing about more fan violence in the ground again? Swear this happened with barrow too?

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:05 pm

We really should play to the strengths of our players.

Why was Walshaw playing out wide right at times ?
    Why can't our central defenders play a 20 yard pass on the floor to our midfield
    Why don't we play the ball into feet to Walshaw and Kendall, who must be two of the best at holding the ball up
    Scary last few minutes with the clearance off the line and the shot that nearly hit both posts.

We played 4 2 3 1, which I thought was a seventies game show featuring Dusty Bin and Ted Rogers. Simple 4 4 2, don't overcomplicate and I am sure we would be more effective and pleasing on the eye.

Still a welcome 3 points which will result in forum silence from certain quarters.

No update on the official website yet regarding Director changes just in case TS is watching.

S.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:12 pm

SteveClarkey11 wrote:Missed the match tonight as I was at work, hearing a mixture of feedback about tonight's match though!

Also am I right about hearing about more fan violence in the ground again? Swear this happened with barrow too?

Handbags mate Handbags and welcome to the forum i see its your first post

Last edited by rangerider on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:22 pm

Walshaw fantastic tonight, McGurk class act at the back gets better & better every match.
    3 clean sheets on the trot now (still not quite sure how)!
    Ex director Tad spotted in the ground talking to Trevdee, i'm sure he'll fill us all in later!
    Referee unable to count to 10???????
    C'MON TOWN, C'MON TOWN.

Another 3 points on Saturday please.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:54 pm

slicker wrote:
    Still a welcome 3 points which will result in forum silence from certain quarters.
    Sleep

At least we're out of the relegation zone I suppose but the two wins we've had are not a ringing endorsement for anybody. If anything my expectations have lowered further.

On the basis of what we've seen so far, is there ANYONE who honestly thinks we'll make the playoffs?

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:19 am

Dark Knight wrote:
    slicker wrote:
    Sleep

At least we're out of the relegation zone I suppose but the two wins we've had are not a ringing endorsement for anybody. If anything my expectations have lowered further.

On the basis of what we've seen so far, is there ANYONE who honestly thinks we'll make the playoffs?

No

Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:23 am

slicker wrote:

No

I hate to say it but I actually think we're going to lose more games than last season.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:02 am

Now now slicker, there's not much I can add as I couldn't make this fixture (too busy working and paying taxes as you put it). Sounds like the boys were terrific though - is it fair to say almost as convincing as the Wales performance last night?

Anyway, I'll be there on Saturday - you can buy me a pint then.

TS
    OllieRiley
    OllieRiley

Post by OllieRiley Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:11 am

Very close game, Stalybridge can feel hard-done by. It wasn't their night. But that's the difference of having a top class striker in your ranks! Walshaw had one clear chance and he took it!

In the first half we looked very bright. We played with pace and weren't afraid to run at the Stalybridge back four. Liked the idea of playing FOUR strikers, it gave us extra attacking options. Still, we are still struggling to find that killer pass in our attacking third to create chances.

We were just hanging on towards the end and, I agree with Slicker, Walshaw was playing too wide.

A vital 3 points though, onto Saturday now and hopefully another win on the board!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:56 am

Dark Knight wrote:
    slicker wrote:
    Sleep

Unless we go on some amazing run, then quite simply, we do not stand a chance.

We have seriously strong teams in our league like Chorley, AFC Fylde, North Ferriby, Barrow, Boston and Guiseley

The way it currently stands, they are the teams I would fancy for the automatic spots and playoff spots. Then I wonder what the excuses will be come the end of the season.

But on last night, I will give Simon and Macca their dues, they were saying all the right things to their players, but a lot of them just didnt compute. A lack of respect for the management perhaps?
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:15 am

I actually quite enjoyed the first half. I thought we mixed the play up, but what I enjoyed was the pace in which we played, it was like a 1000mph, Stalybridge didn't get chance to breath, it was almost like we suffocated them, I'm not saying we looked composed though because at the speed we played, often balls were fired in to players and their reactions weren't quick enough to deal with it...There was no way with our fitness that we could keep that up for the 2nd half.

We can't forget that Stalybridge are no mugs, and once we stopped bullying them, their nifty midfielders got hold of the ball and started to play....They are full time, they spend the whole week training, the majority of their squad are youth so fitness levels are higher, tactics for them are more drilled because they have more time to work on it......On the whole happy with the 3 points, disappointed with our fitness levels and shocked by MOTM result. He made one run all game and just didn't get a sniff, didn't make something for himself.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:29 pm

CCOB wrote:
    Ex director Tad spotted in the ground talking to Trevdee, i'm sure he'll fill us all in later!
    Ooh... *looks forward to juicy gossip* Twisted Evil

trevdee wrote:I actually quite enjoyed the first half. I thought we mixed the play up, but what I enjoyed was the pace in which we played, it was like a 1000mph, Stalybridge didn't get chance to breath, it was almost like we suffocated them, I'm not saying we looked composed though because at the speed we played, often balls were fired in to players and their reactions weren't quick enough to deal with it...There was no way with our fitness that we could keep that up for the 2nd half.

We can't forget that Stalybridge are no mugs, and once we stopped bullying them, their nifty midfielders got hold of the ball and started to play....They are full time, they spend the whole week training, the majority of their squad are youth so fitness levels are higher, tactics for them are more drilled because they have more time to work on it......On the whole happy with the 3 points, disappointed with our fitness levels and shocked by MOTM result. He made one run all game and just didn't get a sniff, didn't make something for himself.
    D'oh!

silent Neutral
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:41 pm

Dark Knight wrote:
    CCOB wrote:
    Ooh... *looks forward to juicy gossip*   Twisted Evil

trevdee wrote:I actually quite enjoyed the first half. I thought we mixed the play up, but what I enjoyed was the pace in which we played, it was like a 1000mph, Stalybridge didn't get chance to breath, it was almost like we suffocated them, I'm not saying we looked composed though because at the speed we played, often balls were fired in to players and their reactions weren't quick enough to deal with it...There was no way with our fitness that we could keep that up for the 2nd half.

D'oh!

silent    Neutral

Yeah I spoke to Tad, he has been to the last few games but not as a Harrogate director....Just a proud father watching his son in action these days. And to set the record straight he never told me directly, but I could tell by his smirk when I asked him outright!

Lol DK calm down, don't mean I am in love with Simon or anything, on the contrary, I would like him gone tomorrow as I know a better manager would have got us a 3-0 win with this set of players.....Purely means I let my hair down and appreciated a footy match with a decent atmosphere.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:56 pm

trevdee wrote:

Lol DK calm down, don't mean I am in love with Simon or anything, on the contrary, I would like him gone tomorrow as I know a better manager would have got us a 3-0 win with this set of players.....Purely means I let my hair down and appreciated a footy match with a decent atmosphere.
    Yeah I was just hoping for some mindblowing insider revelations. Never mind.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:04 pm

Well it is now official. On the website this afternoon.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:54 pm

JordanF wrote:Well it is now official. On the website this afternoon.

Thanks, I will stop checking now.

S.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:13 pm

Was great to get a bit of the atmosphere back at the CNG on Tuesday night. Good to see a number of the younger Town fans at the game too as that has been lacking at the previous games. Had a good sing song behind the goal at the end of the game. Hopefully it will be similar on Saturday.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:13 am

The only way the fans will start coming back, or we can start attracting new fans is if the performances on the pitch improve, with improved performances will bring improved results, improved results push us higher in the table, the higher we go in the table, the better chance we have of the playoffs/automatic promotion.

The hardcore fans will always be there, but the only way you are going to get more fans is if the club is successful, or is showing further signs of being successful, on the pitch.

As I have mentioned on numerous times, what has happened off the pitch is quite astonishing when you look at a club at this level, but the performances on the pitch are ultimately where it is all said and done.

We certainly have the squad to do it, and if it cant be done with a squad of this calibre, then surely the problems lie with the manager? There is no doubt about it, he is under a lot of pressure to get the results now, that was obvious when the final whistle went on Tuesday.
    TownUltra
    TownUltra

Post by TownUltra Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:04 am

I posted something preseason about us being unbeaten at home since Guiseley last season, our home form is playoff contenderish. It's the away form and tactics that I wasn't sure about. I'd like to see the foot put on the ball away from home and use natural width on the break, a more direct style invites the play back on to us.

Encouraging to see players coming back fit. Simon seems to want to play this consistent formation, which on the positive, at least it's consistent, and the players will get used to it. Would be great to win a game comfortably and then confidence will hopefully start to pour into the team.

COME ON TOWN

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 3:05 am