Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+7
OllieRiley
A1 drifter
Chips97
GARAGE
trevdee
TheNeil29
Innocent Bystander
11 posters

Harrogate Town 1 Oxford City 0

Innocent Bystander

Harrogate Town 1 Oxford City 0 Empty Harrogate Town 1 Oxford City 0

Post by Innocent Bystander Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:09 pm

Untidy, unconvincing and lacking fluency .... but 3pts is a blessed relief!
    The Oxford subs were saying that Harrogate were the worst team they had played this year - not hard to disagree!
    Whoever gave Lenighan the man of the match award must have been on some serious juice in the hospitality suite!
    It might have been so much easier had we scored in the first ten, Oxford's midfield then started to pass us off the pitch
    Superb keeping from Barnes ..... I have been critical of him this season but he was excellent today
    A bright spot is seeing Speight come on and immediately link up with James Walshaw
    Good to see Killock, Dean and Kendall doing some serious rehab training / shuttles for 40 mins before the game
    Nelthorpe didn't look happy to miss out on the bench ....... on his way?

Onwards and sideways

Harrogate Town 1 Oxford City 0 Empty Re: Harrogate Town 1 Oxford City 0

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:13 pm

Well said. Can't say much more.

Lenighan, man of the match? Can think of 11 players who deserved it more.
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Just for the record .... We didn't meet up before posting!

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Agree with everything you say.

I can't make my mind up whether we are direct or tippy tappy. Man of the Match verdict was criminal. Barnes and Blooms were tops for me, which says alot about our play. That said, we had some clear cut chances.

Ironically we will probably end up with better chances when we play away on big pitches than at home.

S.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:40 pm

Yeah, the decision to narrow the pitch wasn't the wisest. However. We are unbeaten at home? Maybe there is a method behind the madness?
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:41 pm

Yeah, the decision to narrow the pitch wasn't the wisest. However. We are unbeaten at home? Maybe there is a method behind the madness?
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:51 pm

One player worse than Lenighan today, Matt Heath - How does he still get a game?

Players just skip by him and he lunges in about 10 minutes after they have skipped by him. We showed some serious shoddy defending today.

A win is a win and you can see players lacking serious confidence. Only 1 person really showed for the ball today and that was Wally. Hopefully this will kick start the season and we can build on this, perhaps start to grow as a TEAM because right now what is lacking is the team and a leader in the middle.
    GARAGE

Post by GARAGE Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:41 pm

Bring back Bolder!
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:51 pm

Wonder why some players only have to have a terrible 30 mins and we don't see them again until they are desperately needed and some put in dross performances week in, week out yet still get picked? Obviously this happened with Bolder last season but is the reason why we go through so many players and never establish consistency.
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:53 pm

We certainly need better players in midfield to help out Lloyd Kerry .... Lenighan and Adam N must be two of the weakest midfielders in our league ....
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:09 pm

As much as Koski has improved last season, he was always going to be found out when playing with class midfielders. It doesn't look like he has kicked on. When it comes to Lenighan, he thinks he is a lot better than what he actually is and that he is too good for us. His petulant reaction against being subbed at railway proved that.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:44 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:As much as Koski has improved last season, he was always going to be found out when playing with class midfielders. It doesn't look like he has kicked on.  When it comes to Lenighan, he thinks he is a lot better than what he actually is and that he is too good for us. His petulant reaction against being subbed at railway proved that.

I spoke with Adam after the game and he suggested that the injury which he picked up against BPA was still niggling him.

Good to see Speight making his debut. Bit disappointed that he did not score a hatrick as I have high expectations Laughing

Good to see Barnes have a strong game as have been disappointed with his previous performances. Commanded his area well and pulled off a couple of decent saves.

Still baffled by the MOTM decision. Any one know whether he visited the 1919 after to collect his champagne after the reaction to the decision?
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:04 pm

I thought we played poor again today, passing not good enough. Lenighan is simply a shocking player from what I've seen so far can't string a few passes together without passing it to the opposition! Adam was also a bit vulnerable to giving the ball away. I thought the 3 centre backs are very solid and not much got past them today but when anything did Barnes pulled off some good saves. Lenighan Motm was a bit of a joke! Personally I thought Bloomer or Margetts deserved it! Margetts is a great finisher just like Wally. From what I saw of Speight he looks like quite a strong powerful player can't wait to see him play more! Overall if we wanna compete for playoffs we need to start playing much better. Cmon Town keep the wins coming! UpTheTown!!! Keep the faith lads!
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:06 pm

I do think if we kept bolder to replace Lenighan, Anton to replace Adam and Merris to replace Meynell that our team would be so much stronger!
    A1 drifter

Post by A1 drifter Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Mom for me was Blooms - read the game well and is 'Mr. Reliable'. Several good saves by Barnes.

Well done lads. Thanks goodness for 3 points.
    OllieRiley
    OllieRiley

Post by OllieRiley Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:09 am

I said right at the beginning of the season that we need TWO, GOOD ball-playing midfielders. We've only got one at the moment and that's Kerry. We need an anchor-man, someone to pull all the strings in the midfield. (Like Bolder)

Post by Guest Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:27 pm

We win, quiet forum.

Just an observation.

S.
    thetallaccountant
    thetallaccountant

Post by thetallaccountant Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:13 pm

To be fair, it's not as if people have been fooled into contentment by the result, as the vast majority of the comments above are negative, and quite rightly so, as we were poor.

I know we have some injuries, but if the 11 that played yesterday are compared to a typical 1st 11 of last season, are they really any better? If not, why should we finish any higher than last year?
    Championship Manager
    Championship Manager

Post by Championship Manager Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:34 pm

thetallaccountant wrote:To be fair, it's not as if people have been fooled into contentment by the result, as the vast majority of the comments above are negative, and quite rightly so, as we were poor.

I know we have some injuries, but if the 11 that played yesterday are compared to a typical 1st 11 of last season, are they really any better? If not, why should we finish any higher than last year?

Someone made the point in another thread that for all we've made these 'big' signings this year, last seasons strong 11 given a long run together with just the addition of Walshaw would be a match for any team in the league.

That's a team playing proper football, moving the ball and not having to rely on tricks like a narrow pitch to try and win. The problem with this seasons team is they are not getting the results and are not playing good football, but you never know that might change........
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:00 pm

Slicker. The forum is quiet because there is no one trying to get the last word in and provoke anything.

Let's put this into perspective. We beat Oxford, but it will count for absolutely nothing if we don't win our next few games and go on a run. There will be certainly be tougher contests this season. And we got lucky yesterday.

This may be seen as negative, but I'm realistic. This result needs to be built on.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:12 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:Slicker. The forum is quiet because there is no one trying to get the last word in and provoke anything.

Let's put this into perspective. We beat Oxford, but it will count for absolutely nothing if we don't win our next few games and go on a run. There will be certainly be tougher contests this season. And we got lucky yesterday.

This may be seen as negative, but I'm realistic. This result needs to be built on.

Agreed. The next five results need to be as good as the others were bad. Something isn't clicking in the middle and some of our defending is very last ditch, which means we have been exposed earlier up the pitch.

S.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:48 pm

The problem with the middle is that nobody is near the level of Kerry. Lenighan isn't as good as what he thinks. Adam N has been injured and not quite fully fit. We had the farce with Griffith. I am stumped as to why he hasn't done more with Metcalfe in Centre or Cartman.

Midfield definitely needs addressing. The defence just hasn't clicked yet, but the quality is there, and we have the quality upfront, even with current injuries.

We all know where the problem lies, and it was the title of a previous thread.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:24 pm

slicker wrote:We win, quiet forum.

Just an observation.

S.
    We win, you come on with a crappy one liner. Nowhere to be seen for weeks, when the sh1t hits the fan.

Just an observation.

Seriously you are one tedious mofo. Do you expect we'll all come on here jumping through hoops and worshipping at the Weaver altar after a nothing much 1-0 against a run of the mill outfit? There's really little to add to what's already been said. We all know where each other stands. If we go on a 15 match unbeaten run or we have yet another rotten slump then perhaps it will be worth reopening the debate and starting the arguments again. But until then, there's nowt worth adding.

As I said the other day:

Dark Knight wrote:
    BB wrote:Look fellas, don't get me wrong..but can't you take this on to 'facetwittersphere' or whatever it is.

I've skipped the last few pages and it still the same stuff going on.
    Or you could try and steer the thread back on topic by minding your own business and posting some actual views on the subject.

Seems to be a number of people on here who's only contribution to this forum is to stick their beaks in. Hardly anyone actually has anything to say or add to the debate about Town. This is one of the strangest football forums I've ever seen. It's all just petty point scoring. Myself and TS get accused of ridiculous things like wanting Town to lose or having an anti-weaver agenda but now that quite a few more have nailed their colours to the same mast as us perhaps it's time for some proper discussion on the topic instead of just having a pop and slinging accusations at us. The pattern on here hasn't gone unnoticed. Somebody criticises the manager or suggests it might be time for a change, this is then met with childish and simple responses like "ooh you're just haters" or "Believe me, Town will turn things round, you'll just have to wait and see" and then when myself or Neil, TS, Paul, RR or Trev counter that with some actual evidence and back up our arguments with valid points it's met with this "You're just a negative nelly, Oooh some people seem happy when we lose, you all go quiet when we win" type nonsense. When in fact the opposite is true, some posters only come on here when we win and they clearly only do that just to be smug with their one line posts usually along the lines of "Oooh it's a bit quiet on here tonight" and "Sack the manager? You're having a laugh". It would be great if one of those Weaver fanboys actually came on here after we've lost and made a really strong case, using facts and counter arguments as to why Town should stick with Simon and why one day we'll be successful under him, other than just gut feeling and blind faith bluster. Trouble is whenever I ask for this, it's not forthcoming, everyone does a runner, presumably because it is nigh on impossible to make a credible argument for carrying on much longer with the current manager.

I know what will happen though. Simon will get some much needed results, buy himself some more time, then the laughing Larrys will return briefly, full of it and feeling they've been proven right, they will once again start to believe and then bang! We'll crash and burn again. Then in the summer 15 players will leave (all being slagged off as they go) and 15 new "saviours" will be proclaimed on here and off we go again. How do I know this will happen? Because it's what always happens.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:36 pm

Dark Knight wrote:
    slicker wrote:We win, quiet forum.

Just an observation.

S.
    We win, you come on with a crappy one liner. Nowhere to be seen for weeks, when the sh1t hits the fan.

Just an observation.

Seriously you are one tedious mofo. Do you expect we'll all come on here jumping through hoops and worshipping at the Weaver altar after a nothing much 1-0 against a run of the mill outfit? There's really little to add to what's already been said. We all know where each other stands. If we go on a 15 match unbeaten run or we have yet another rotten slump then perhaps it will be worth reopening the debate and starting the arguments again. But until then, there's nowt worth adding.

As I said the other day:

Dark Knight wrote:
    BB wrote:Look fellas, don't get me wrong..but can't you take this on to 'facetwittersphere' or whatever it is.

I've skipped the last few pages and it still the same stuff going on.
    Or you could try and steer the thread back on topic by minding your own business and posting some actual views on the subject.

Seems to be a number of people on here who's only contribution to this forum is to stick their beaks in. Hardly anyone actually has anything to say or add to the debate about Town. This is one of the strangest football forums I've ever seen. It's all just petty point scoring. Myself and TS get accused of ridiculous things like wanting Town to lose or having an anti-weaver agenda but now that quite a few more have nailed their colours to the same mast as us perhaps it's time for some proper discussion on the topic instead of just having a pop and slinging accusations at us. The pattern on here hasn't gone unnoticed. Somebody criticises the manager or suggests it might be time for a change, this is then met with childish and simple responses like "ooh you're just haters" or "Believe me, Town will turn things round, you'll just have to wait and see" and then when myself or Neil, TS, Paul, RR or Trev counter that with some actual evidence and back up our arguments with valid points it's met with this "You're just a negative nelly, Oooh some people seem happy when we lose, you all go quiet when we win" type nonsense. When in fact the opposite is true, some posters only come on here when we win and they clearly only do that just to be smug with their one line posts usually along the lines of "Oooh it's a bit quiet on here tonight" and "Sack the manager? You're having a laugh". It would be great if one of those Weaver fanboys actually came on here after we've lost and made a really strong case, using facts and counter arguments as to why Town should stick with Simon and why one day we'll be successful under him, other than just gut feeling and blind faith bluster. Trouble is whenever I ask for this, it's not forthcoming, everyone does a runner, presumably because it is nigh on impossible to make a credible argument for carrying on much longer with the current manager.

I know what will happen though. Simon will get some much needed results, buy himself some more time, then the laughing Larrys will return briefly, full of it and feeling they've been proven right, they will once again start to believe and then bang! We'll crash and burn again. Then in the summer 15 players will leave (all being slagged off as they go) and 15 new "saviours" will be proclaimed on here and off we go again. How do I know this will happen? Because it's what always happens.

My my, left your cape in the spin drier again ?

S.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:41 am

IB more or less said it all in the first post. Yes I'm obviously pleased we won, but I'm not fooling myself or getting over-excited. We need plenty more wins before that happens! I think either Bloomer (a real revelation this season) or Barnes (kept us in the game) deserved MOTM. Hope we are negotiating with Hull about extending Margetts loan, he is excellent. Saturday's result won't mean much if we go to Lowestoft and lose.

Mind you, Guiseley lost again, NFU lost as did BPA. Barrow (joint favourites with us pre-season), are justifying their status (unlike us), and watch out for Fylde and Chorley. by the way, anyone notice that an old mate of ours, James Dean (he of the bullet head and multiple red cards), is banging the goals in for Chorley?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:38 pm