Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+5
trevdee
Yorkshire Yankee
j2021
Smelemon
Dan_Gleebitz
9 posters

Town 1-3 Oxford City.....so please explain.....

Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Town 1-3 Oxford City.....so please explain..... Empty Town 1-3 Oxford City.....so please explain.....

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:59 pm

...how Dwayne Samuels won man of the match. I got to see this with my stepdaughter and her fiancee who's a Southampton season ticket holder. He's also a keen Ayr United supporter. His opinion was that Samuels needs dropping, our keeper is dodgy and our will to win non-existent. "The biggest difference between the teams was the will to win the ball"

My opinion is that we had 11 strangers out there. Misplaced passes, hoofball, lack of speed (fitness?) And yes, absolutely no winning desire. A very poor display from the team (and the linesman on the main stand side). But to give Samuels MOM just shows that it has no bearing on how the player performs.

More when I've calmed down.
    Smelemon
    Smelemon

Town 1-3 Oxford City.....so please explain..... Empty Re: Town 1-3 Oxford City.....so please explain.....

Post by Smelemon Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:16 pm

I have no idea what to say, just plain bad. It's as though there are two different Harrogate Towns, the team that plays away and plays well, and the home team that always manages to dissapoint, a home team that is yet to win infront of a home crowd this season. Needs improving desperately. This morning I genuinely thought we finally had a play-off contending side, but today's result has really hit home. We're an awkward team to support, it's 1 step forward then 2 steps back, then 3 steps forward and 4 steps back! We now sit in 10th, and I seriously don't want to see us drop any further, it has to improve from here on in, or we can kiss top 10 goodbye. Keep the faith
    Smelemon
    Smelemon

Town 1-3 Oxford City.....so please explain..... Empty Re: Town 1-3 Oxford City.....so please explain.....

Post by Smelemon Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:24 pm

And we play Guiseley next at that, needs serious improvement or else we can expect a thumping
    j2021

Post by j2021 Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:49 pm

Samuels was the only player to have a decent game IMO....... Was glad he got it, the only defender who actually defended well today and gave us something going forward!
    But apart from Mezza's goal and Samuels doing well we were awful, we were just 2nd best to everything, not good to watch at all, seemed slow and lethargic, almost felt like we thought it was a pre-season game.....
    Also I can't understand why Stimpson didn't get the spot in the heart of defence with White been suspended he looked class pre-season and also a threat from corners!......
    Yorkshire Yankee

Post by Yorkshire Yankee Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:12 am

Who ever took our team, would they please give them back. I felt sorry for the players and for the fans. I could see the players wanted to, but couldn't. The fans wanted to cheer on a team they have been reading about, but they never showed up. The team was flat as a proverbial pancake.
    Keeper V. - looked in shock after all three goals. Especially the second and third. They were not just his fault - the 18 yard box also provided free parking.
    D. Sam - sorry guys, but I like D. Sam. He is always looking to attack and tracking back on defense. Had bags of space, but no one to work with. In fact that was the theme for todays game. The one-two passing of the last few weeks, was non-existant today.
    Mighty Mouse - what a goal. Link up play with the Silver Surfer......who knows.
    Black-n-Blue - Shane worked hard, but had NO chemistry with Blooms. Big Al, you do not help, if you are on the sidelines.
    Blooms - see above. Did what Blooms does, but he and Shane were strangers.
    The Rock - Adam was there, but wasn't there. Did not impact the game at all.
    Mr. Bolland - least effective game of the year. Took Big Al's place passing the time of day with the Ref, discussing the Harrogate Flower Show.
    Leon Os'bourne' again - his big home coming, been playing outstanding football. Today - looked like he hit the wall. A few flourishes, but dead on his feet by the half time break.
    The Dean - I can only hope that last night, he had a hell of a time with the British Womens Water Polo team. Because today, his head and his body were not in the game. In fact, it might still have been home in bed. OK, one bad game. Still our best player since the season began. He has set himself a high standard.
    The Big Chill - no chance today, no support, no gaol, with two central defenders hanging off each hip the whole game. Chib, you need another move, they have scouted you, and are countering.
    Silver Surfer - never got off the beach. Lee and Dave did there impression of John Terry and Anton Ferdinand shaking hands - barely acknowledging each other presence. This has been a very productive partnership, hope it returns on Tuesday.
    Adam Knowitcowski - I am not his greatest fan. But, he won more headers in his brief time on the pitch, then the rest of the team did for the whole game. It was not a quick game, the pace of the game suited him.
    DJohnson - tough game to make an impression, when the rest of the team is up the creek with out a paddle.....
    Meech - you can be a game changer. But not this game .... barely touched the ball.
    Oh what tangled webs we Weaver - flying high, playing entertaining football. Come home ready to show the world (okay, the Wetherby Road faithful) that we are for real.....splat. Like a bug on a windscreen. Pressures tough in front of the home crowd. It is only one game. Have a good week, and all will be forgiven. There are still 30 something games left in the league............keep pushin!!

Disclaimer: Any perceived spelling mistakes, are cuse we spel differnt on the other side of the pond.
    -- From where I was sitting, the sky was blue, the sun was shining. And, the wife still lets me in the house after a late night, early morning on the town. Its only football...............Bull S&*T
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:09 am

From my point of view picking Bloomer to play in the heart of the defense really set the scene today (afterall Bloomer was a major part of why teams destroyed us 3 seasons ago)...Once Oxford had gone 2-1 up from some appalling defending we were doomed, and the whole team just gave up. Why the hell didn't we play Stimpson?? In my mind if he had been playing we wouldn't have conceded the 1st let alone the shambolic 2nd....Weaver get your ass on here and explain why you picked Bloomer.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:00 am

High energy performances needed @ Guiseley!
    As well as better defending!
    First 2 home games we were unlucky not to get more points out of them!
    Yesterday we got what we deserved!
    Did their keeper have a shot to save 2nd half?
    Flat atmosphere on & off the park yesterday!
    Sad

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:16 pm

Agree with most of this but lets not get TOO despondant too soon. We have lost twice, so have Guiseley and Halifax (both of whom are considered to be top teams in this league). The real disappointment is how we always seem to mess up at home: a crowd desperate to have something to cheer, with only Mezza's wonder strike to get us going. Did we really look like scoring the whole second half? Dont think so.
    Don't know what Dan has got against poor old Dwayne: he HAS been our most consistently impressive player this season, and deserved his MOM award.
    Feel rather sorry for Irving Weaver and the back room team: they have put so much effort (and money!) into 'improving the visitor experience' (To use the jargon), yet in the final analysis what will bring fans in is a winning team, and what wll keep them away (apart from the hardcore) is NOT winning.
    Rather dreading (and looking forward!) to tomorrow night's game: its a test of how good we can be, but Guiseley could slaughter us if we play like Saturday.
    Lets not give up,we DO have a good team this season, but the guys need to show it at home.

Post by Guest Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:31 pm

paulstreet wrote:Agree with most of this but lets not get TOO despondant too soon. We have lost twice, so have Guiseley and Halifax (both of whom are considered to be top teams in this league). The real disappointment is how we always seem to mess up at home: a crowd desperate to have something to cheer, with only Mezza's wonder strike to get us going. Did we really look like scoring the whole second half? Dont think so.
    Don't know what Dan has got against poor old Dwayne: he HAS been our most consistently impressive player this season, and deserved his MOM award.
    Feel rather sorry for Irving Weaver and the back room team: they have put so much effort (and money!) into 'improving the visitor experience' (To use the jargon), yet in the final analysis what will bring fans in is a winning team, and what wll keep them away (apart from the hardcore) is NOT winning.
    Rather dreading (and looking forward!) to tomorrow night's game: its a test of how good we can be, but Guiseley could slaughter us if we play like Saturday.
    Lets not give up,we DO have a good team this season, but the guys need to show it at home.

I don't feel sorry for Irving. He must be aware that Simon isn't cut out for management and give someone far more deserving an opportunity.

Bloomer is probably the least commanding centre back I have ever had the misfortune of watching and Nowakowski is simply not good enough and would be more suited playing in the leagues below.

Elam makes a very simple game appear very difficult and in the process achieves very little.

And as per usual, Weaver has no plan b and a total inability to change a game.

Finally, what on earth has happened to Robbie Youhill. You remember, that player who was full of confidence, took players on and created opportunities for our forwards.
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:00 pm

Oxford City were set up to defend and quickly break when we lost possession/gave the ball away cheaply. The three goals we conceded were poor defensive lapses. There was no pressure put on the player with the ball, no closing down of space, no communicating/verbals/talking to each other. The three goals could have been doubled because of the defensive frailty we had in the centre of our defence. I'm afraid Simon has to put personal friendship to one side and he must not play Matt Bloomer again if he wants to have a successful season. Matt knows how poorly he played. I can remember a couple of defensive headers he made but he hardly made a tackle. Their forwards must have thought it was Christmas. Guisley will run riot if the CENTRE OF OUR DEFENCE is not strenghtened. Not playing Robbie is a scandal. Not having him on the bench is such a waste of his talent and will only erode his confidence even more. This is a pattern at Town for 3 seasons and I wonder how soon the revolving door syndrome will gegin. I feel it already has!!
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Fortunately White will return for tomorrow's game and hopefully order will be restored in the center of that defense. Some of Weaver's decision making is very strange. For example against Oxford he brought off Elam and although by his standard he was playing poorly, he was actually our only outlet. Plan B was to fire it into Nowakowski's head and hope a flick on falls to one of our players, which is simply not good enough if you want to sit above mid table in this league. Now We knew from the first half plan B style football would never work as their center half's were too dominant in the air, so why revert to it?

All very questionable but one that I hope Weaver learns from. And I don't want to take any credit away from Oxford. Individually their players were nothing special from what I saw but collectively they were such a well drilled and organised team that was unified and you could tell they have played together for a couple of years. Something Weaver could also learn from!

We are early into the season but we all knows what a couple of defeats do to the teams confidence and the crowds confidence
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:35 am

I'll start off by saying that I have absolutely nothing against Dwayne. I've never met the guy so how could I? I just am not sure whether he's:-

(a) not very good

(b) not very good at following instructions

or (c) the instructions he's being given are poor.

Don't get me wrong he wasn't the only player to play badly, it's just that I really can't see what he's bringing to the team and to give a defender the MOM award seems more than a little strange in the circumstances don't you think?

Yorkshire Yankee wrote:D. Sam - sorry guys, but I like D. Sam. He is always looking to attack and tracking back on defense.
    Were you actually there? His tracking back is virtually non-existent. On more than one occasion he had come forward with the ball (when it would have been easier to have passed it along the ground to a colleague further forward) and then when the pass was misplaced (oh boy were there a lot of those too) and Oxford came forward he was either standing still or slowly jogging back. Oxford seemed to twig this quite early on and it was noticeable how many of their moves were down our right side. Where was the guy standing (unmarked) who scored their first goal?

If he's been told to go forward then ok, but then someone needs to be told to fill in the gap - and if it isn't happening then he needs to get it sorted. More often than not we were playing a sort of 3-6-1 which was in effect 3-3-3-1.

I also disagree that Oxford were set up to counter attack. The ball spent more time in our half of the field during the match. Oxford took their foot off the gas in the second half. Any other team would have used that to their advantage. All we did was waste our opportunity to do anything.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:44 pm

trevdee wrote:Fortunately White will return for tomorrow's game and hopefully order will be restored in the center of that defense. Some of Weaver's decision making is very strange. For example against Oxford he brought off Elam and although by his standard he was playing poorly, he was actually our only outlet. Plan B was to fire it into Nowakowski's head and hope a flick on falls to one of our players, which is simply not good enough if you want to sit above mid table in this league. Now We knew from the first half plan B style football would never work as their center half's were too dominant in the air, so why revert to it?

All very questionable but one that I hope Weaver learns from. And I don't want to take any credit away from Oxford. Individually their players were nothing special from what I saw but collectively they were such a well drilled and organised team that was unified and you could tell they have played together for a couple of years. Something Weaver could also learn from!

We are early into the season but we all knows what a couple of defeats do to the teams confidence and the crowds confidence

It's not all about players confidence though. There's no organisation and as long as Weaver has no idea about what he's doing then neither will the players. We still defend badly at set pieces and often look devoid of ideas. Weaver has limited ideas about how to set up the team in terms of tactics, formations, etc, and if it doesn't work then he's lost. Often substitutions are made but they have no clear idea about what they're supposed to do. Comapre this to other manager's who are giving instructions to their subs right up to the second they take to the field. And almost as criminal as Bloomer playing in defence is the fact that Meechan rarely starts, despite the team struggling upfront. Before long players like Bolder and Bolland will become completely disallusioned, their performances will dip, and we'll be back to sqaure one. Other than that, things are fine i guess.
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Every team has an off day - don't underestimate the spirit inside the Town dressing room and on the training paddock

I used to file my nails, but then I thought, what's the use of keeping them

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm