Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+7
Championship Manager
Chips97
paulstreet
trevdee
GARAGE
j2021
NPBFC
11 posters

Bradford Match

NPBFC

Bradford Match Empty Bradford Match

Post by NPBFC Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:51 am

Any thoughts on the Bradford match.

Mine were that when we played the ball on the ground we looked more dangerous.

Cartman and Walshaw looked good with the ball at their feet and can cause a lot more problems.

Nowakawski looked lost on the right and needs to play in the front of the back 4 to get the best out of him.

We seemed to be lacking energy until we were 2 behind and by then it was too late.

On the plus side we scored our first goal of the season.

Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep
    j2021

Bradford Match Empty Re: Bradford Match

Post by j2021 Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:26 am

Disappointing.... Was at the game, don't understand why Kerry was used as a defensive midfielder and why Nowakowski often seemed almost to be playing as a striker/winger....

From what I've seen and heard Kerry is an attacking creative midfielder who also has goals in him. Yet he was sitting in front of the back four unable to show his talent and been bullied off the ball by Walker and Chib. Much better player when he's further forward and able to run directly at the opposition and attempt to thread balls through the oppositions defence.

Completely agree with you on Adam, for me, Nowakowski is best played as a dominant tough tackling sitting defensive midfielder. Half the time he's playing right wing, he's not going to score or create....

Still, we could have got a draw out of the game, defence solid, (apart from Barnes error) lot's to be worked on. B.P.A weren't impressive either, just took their chances.
    j2021

Post by j2021 Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:29 am

And agree, when we got the ball on the floor we looked 100 times better. Every time we got the ball on the ground we looked threatening.

Too many times the long ball to Adam just drifted behind for a goal kick. Got bored of watching John Lambs goal kicks the first half.
    GARAGE

Post by GARAGE Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:12 am

Well where do we go from here ?
    Simons system is still not working- the players know it's not working an d they do not look happy- there's a lack of movement at times.When we played the ball on the ground we looked far better and managed to score.Nowakowski cannot play the role he is being asked and is far better further back.
    Nelthorpe tried his very best to get sent off but failed even after the final whistle.
    The ref was very poor with some decisions and seemed to favour Park Avenue.
    The lady lines person should stick to knitting after her performance.
    Simon please go back to basics with this talented squad or we could be heading for a relegation fight.We need to use our super playing surface and play on the ground - not big boot to knowhere
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:31 am

I couldn't make it last night but from reading between the lines, sounds like we played the wrong system and players out of position.

My take on this is if you are a full time team you have the time with the players to work on these things however at this level you have 2 training sessions a week and selecting formation based on players available at the time probably doesn't work in this league, well it could work but you add into that playing players out of position and then you are on a road to nowhere... A mistake against a usual well drilled BPA who will give 150% against us. We wondered how our narrow formation would fair on a huge pitch, did they hit us on the wings alot?

Post by Guest Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:35 am

Last night was probably a wake up call for the team, part of their attack are injured, with Kendall and Speight due to return within a couple of weeks, the system we play at home dosen't work on away pitches with have a wide pitch, you could argue that maybe having Dominic Rowe and Craig Nelthorpe on the wings last night would of given more support to Walshaw, Swain played his heart out, Dean is a constant threat, Walshaw is a poacher always waiting to get onto any ball in the penalty area, our problem last night was probably the midfield, I don't think we have the strength in that area, losing Woods, Brown and Bolder has hurt the central midfield, Speight will be fantastic once available, 2 games and 1 point isnt the return for a play off seeking team, but I still have faith, its early in the season very early, and Simons plans with WWK havent worked because 2 of them are down injured, Ash long term, and Kendall has picked up 2 quick knocks and struggling with match fitness, Larkin is no way match ready, it's not the start anyone wanted but any team would struggle when you lose the heart of your attack so so early in the season.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:42 am

well we got off to a bad start last year really unofficially losing the first game at Oxford but we have 2 huge hard games coming up, i think 1 point from 12 would be a disaster so lets see how we get on, hopefully we will start to pick up points.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:31 pm

trevdee wrote:well we got off to a bad start last year really unofficially losing the first game at Oxford but we have 2 huge hard games coming up, i think 1 point from 12 would be a disaster so lets see how we get on, hopefully we will start to pick up points.

An in form and match fit Kendall, and a returning Speight will added much needed strength and speed in attack, I can see Speight teaming well with Dean, to aid the front men of Walshaw and Kendall, I think we need to look at our away game for sure, Wingers badly needed last night, Dominic Rowe down the right would of been a huge difference, but from where I was standing, Cartman, Swain, Kerry, and Turner all looked mightly dangerous, it wasnt all doom and gloom, the first goal within seconds of the match winded us badly, and we had plenty of shots on target to make up for it, Lamb in the BPA goal was solid, Drury for BPA made some fine clearances too.

It's not a disaster, for me, its a wake up call, midfield let us down, not because of skill, but formation and speed.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:43 pm

Not to have Rowe even on the bench was crazy in my view. I thought for presumed title favourites we were very poor overall. They could have been 3 up at half time. Bad mistake by Barnes as well.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:00 pm

The injury to Minty on Saturday hit us hard. Did Big Swain play? How did he do?

When we now look back on the decision to let Worlsford play a day after the Railway match as costing us already. Big price to pay.
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:02 pm

I do believe on Saturday let's go for proper wingers! Put Dom Rowe on the right and Larkin/Nelly on the left. I'd prefer Larkin since Nelly always nearly gets sent off. He's Crackers! needs to calm down!
    j2021

Post by j2021 Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:11 pm

CraigHurle wrote:
    An in form and match fit Kendall, and a returning Speight will added much needed strength and speed in attack, I can see Speight teaming well with Dean.

Those 2 strikers both like the ball into feet, play the style we have in the last 2 games and they're going to struggle to get in the game. Look at Kendalls Pre-Season form, he's struggled.
    j2021

Post by j2021 Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:13 pm

Carefree wrote:The injury to Minty on Saturday hit us hard. Did Big Swain play? How did he do?

Swain is still definitely a bright spark, looks sharp and was our main attacking threat, especially in the first half, linked up well with Wally.

But too often with the formation he seemed to be wide on the left, the one crossing the ball, need him in the area with Wally.

Has to start again Saturday.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:41 pm

I like everyone's reactions if it don't work switch to 4-4-2 that revolutionary formation that gained use promotion last year and the year before oh wait......

Direct play wins this league

We are new to it and will take time to adjust

Changing formations after every game WILL NOT HELP

Leagues aren't won or lost in August shocking as that might seem

Post by Guest Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:50 pm

Gareth192001 wrote:I like everyone's reactions if it don't work switch to 4-4-2 that revolutionary formation that gained use promotion last year and the year before oh wait......

Direct play wins this league

We are new to it and will take time to adjust

Changing formations after every game WILL NOT HELP

Leagues aren't won or lost in August shocking as that might seem

Agreed! And with injuries already playing its role so early in the season, we have Kendall and Speight to look forward to when match fit.
    Championship Manager
    Championship Manager

Post by Championship Manager Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:09 pm

I don't understand the idea that Rowe is the missing link, hes a squad player at best. Our only real wingers are Rowe and Nelthorpe so why we would want to play 4-4-2 and sacrifice someone like Dean or Swain is beyond me.

Tactics using the formation we played all pre season can be changed easily to allowing passing football and this is an option but isn't always the way to go in this league as Gareth192001 said.

Stick to the plan until we have seen the best of Wally/Kendall/Speight. But whatever we do don't do a Mike Bassett............FourFourF***ingTwo
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:58 pm

One thing's for sure, Weaver's Town has a massive inferiority complex when it comes to Bradford and Guiseley. Christ knows why.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:32 pm

Panic over Dark Knight is back
    TownUltra
    TownUltra

Post by TownUltra Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:57 pm

I wasn't there Tues but at least Weaver post match comment was that just hitting it long when we got the ball wasn't the way forward. Hopefully they'll work on using the ball to counterattack and get a bit of width on the pitch.

At home I think we're okay, but think we need to change it up away.

Pray that Kendall and Speight get fit soon. Is Ash out all season? What a wounder.

See you Sat.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Just reading the latest bilge in the Advertiser. "Even Joe Hart makes mistakes" - yes because he's an utter clown. And now Simon has his own column, presumably so he can get his bleating and excuses heard by a wider audience.

Deary me.

Surprised by the lukewarm reaction to Town's start. Or maybe I'm not. He gets away with murder on here. Well, he'd better get some results soon because it won't be long before the peasants start revolting. Signs were there at the end of last season that patience was wearing thin, even amongst some of you Weaver worshippers but I see the old revolving door routine patched things over and got everyone excited again. Wonder what the excuses will be in May this time...

Post by Guest Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:48 pm

It's August and didn't you leave the forum?
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:00 pm

Gareth192001 wrote:It's August
    OK it will be different this year I'm sure... Cool

Gareth192001 wrote: and didn't you leave the forum?
    Oops yes you're right, I said I'd come back in a year's time. See you in May  Razz 
    OllieRiley
    OllieRiley

Post by OllieRiley Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:55 pm

DK, we've only played two matches this season. 40+ matches to go and over 120 points to play for.

If it wasn't for these enormous slumps last season we would have been in the playoffs. The odd defeat doesn't kill. As long as we bounce back whenever we lose we should be ok. Worsfold, Kendall and Speight are out injured which means that there is still a lot more to come out of the new-look squad.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:04 pm

OllieRiley wrote:DK, we've only played two matches this season. 40+ matches to go and over 120 points to play for.

If it wasn't for these enormous slumps last season we would have been in the playoffs. The odd defeat doesn't kill. As long as we bounce back whenever we lose we should be ok. Worsfold, Kendall and Speight are out injured which means that there is still a lot more to come out of the new-look squad.

Well Said!
    j2021

Post by j2021 Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:11 pm

Injuries or not we need a better performance and a result on Saturday.
    Lose again and the teams at the top could already be 8 points clear of us. Would already make it hard to catch up.

Can't make the game due to work, just hoping for some positive news come 5pm Saturday night.

C'mon Town!!!  Very Happy 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:18 am