Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+9
mick1423
rosvere
TheNeil29
BB
trevdee
rangerider
Dark Knight
paulstreet
Martin L
13 posters

Charlie - Good Luck and Thank You

Martin L

Charlie - Good Luck and Thank You Empty Charlie - Good Luck and Thank You

Post by Martin L Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:02 am

What a great shame. Charlie was always very helpful and cheerful and efficient during some of our busiest times off the pitch. I think we have scored a PR own goal on this one, however not knowing all the facts I need to be careful what I say. Ultimately all the important legal matters need to be the responsibility of the directors and not someone new to the job. You learn from your mistakes and don't let it happen again. You hope your employer sits you down, educates you and move on. seems really harsh if that was the only mistake.

Good luck Charlie in the future and if you need a character reference, you have a lot of friends at the club.

Charlie - Good Luck and Thank You Empty Re: Charlie - Good Luck and Thank You

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:19 am

Martin L wrote:What a great shame. Charlie was always very helpful and cheerful and efficient during some of our busiest times off the pitch. I think we have scored a PR own goal on this one, however not knowing all the facts I need to be careful what I say. Ultimately all the important legal matters need to be the responsibility of the directors and not someone new to the job. You learn from your mistakes and don't let it happen again. You hope your employer sits you down, educates you and move on. seems really harsh if that was the only mistake.

Good luck Charlie in the future and if you need a character reference, you have a lot of friends at the club.
    Best wishes Charlie, the club were lucky to have you. Everyone knows what a good job you did. Hope you enjoy better support in your new role.

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:05 pm

Hear, hear to that. Very sorry to hear that Charlie has gone, I had wondered where she was the last couple of games, now I know. I thought she did a brilliant job with all the excitement/extra work with the FA Cup last season. Great loss to the club. Did she really have to resign? She made a mistake...something none of us have ever done of course! Anyway pleased to hear she has a new job. Thanks Charlie if you read this and good luck.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Actually feel more upset by this than losing the 3 points!
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:33 pm

paulstreet wrote: Did she really have to resign?  
    Yes. It was a small mistake but it had massive consequences. Whoever was responsible should therefore offer their resignation. Then assuming the person responsible was a popular employee, with a good track record and was valuable to the team, the club should then have flat out refused to accept the resignation. The club can then make a statement detailing what happened so everyone can be clear about the situation. Obviously no names need to be disclosed.

I don't know Charlie personally and have only dealt with her once in the ticket office but what's very clear is that she is young and relatively inexperienced in the role. It's the kind of mistake that even the most experienced administrators make, so someone who has only a couple of years or so at the job under their belt can surely be forgiven. Therefore if it is true that she offered her resignation then that is very commendable at such a young age. Many wouldn't have. Of course we can only speculate but I've no doubt the full facts of what has happened will come out over time, whether the club wants them to or not. So let's hope EVERYBODY concerned has acted honourably eh? Because she was clearly very popular.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:46 pm

Well said. if she offered to resign I think it should have been refused. Obviously we don't know the whole story, but the power relations here were very unequal. The club could simply have said there was an administrative error, no names mentioned, and we all move on. Sorry to go on, but this has left a bad taste in my mouth, I thought the 'big wigs' in our club were better than this.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:48 pm

We are told that the club believes in 'communicating' with the fans, well here is a good chance for you...
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:27 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

so who else has gone then?
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:26 pm

I think these registrations are far too important to mess up, there should have been a system in place to protect Charlie, like a hospital would do with when administrating medicines. Senior management should have checked and then re-checked they were done properly (considering these only need submitting once per year, per player i'm assuming) so lessons to be learnt, tighten up those procedures, stop been slap dash and do it right across the club in every department.

I guess now we will really see what the club is made of - steel or cadburys flake!!

Post by Guest Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:45 pm

rangerider wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

so who else has gone then?
    Is it possible to sack a volunteer? The statement from Irving only makes matters worse. Players registrations should have been overseen by one of the Directors or senior official. You simply can't lay the blame on one of the younger members of the team and an experienced volunteer.

In terms of how many extra points we could/should have, all ifs and buts i'm afraid - counts for nothing. Last season we could have reached the play offs if we had a decent playing surface and players had extended their loan periods. They didn't so the matter is irrelevant.

trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Just re-read Irving's statement, the last line is quite amusing:

"Demonstration of grit and hardened resolve when needed can be fulfilling, it also exposes fragile, insincere support."

So he does read my comments then!!
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:54 pm

town supporter wrote:
    In terms of how many extra points we could/should have, all ifs and buts i'm afraid - counts for nothing.  
    Don't know how you can say that. Points lost on the pitch fair enough but 6 points chucked away because of a couple of very basic oversights is unacceptable. Either we're the serious club everyone keeps talking about or we're still a gaffe prone joke. Which is it?

trevdee wrote:Just re-read Irving's statement, the last line is quite amusing:

"Demonstration of grit and hardened resolve when needed can be fulfilling, it also exposes fragile, insincere support."

Amusing is not the word that springs to my mind. Pathetic, cowardly, small-time, amateur, snide, thinly-veiled attack are all words that spring to my mind.

Not content with publicly hanging out to dry a popular member of staff and a volunteer, the club also has a little swipe at it's supporters. Everyone else's fault eh? Disgraceful. Not a hint of regret, remorse or responsibility accepted on his or the club's part. This is not how a real football club behaves. What a first class prat.  Evil or Very Mad
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:27 pm

Dark Knight wrote:
    town supporter wrote:
    In terms of how many extra points we could/should have, all ifs and buts i'm afraid - counts for nothing.  
    Don't know how you can say that. Points lost on the pitch fair enough but 6 points chucked away because of a couple of basic oversights is unacceptable. Either we're the serious club everyone keeps talking about or we're still a gaffe prone joke. Which is it?

trevdee wrote:Just re-read Irving's statement, the last line is quite amusing:

Amusing is not the word that springs to my mind. Pathetic, cowardly, small-time, amateur, snide, thinly-veiled attack are all words that spring to my mind.

Not content with publicly hanging out to dry a popular member of staff and a volunteer, the club also has a little swipe at it's supporters. Everyone else's fault eh? Disgraceful. Not a hint of regret, remorse or responsibility accepted on his or the club's part. This is not how a real football club behaves. What a first class prat.  Evil or Very Mad
    Yup but if you don't laugh you may get Tad sending his firing squad after you!
    BB

Post by BB Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:07 pm

I suppose at least we have had an explanation of what went wrong….…for a while there I was thinking that it was something like…..er….oh……..I don’t know….….say …..putting a contract in a drawer and forgetting about it….it could happen….y’know?.... now, that would be forgivable????
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:54 pm

Hey, Irving. Do you remember a player called Kieran Gonzalez? Ask Simon. He will......

How dare you even have a swipe at us fans through some shoddy statement. If you actually listened to the real fans, you would understand what our gripes are. And further again, you give me a bloody reason why I should be positive? You should be running the club better than hanging the Secretary and Volunteer out to dry. And if you don't like reading this, get Tad, or anyone else to approach me, and I will tell you exactly what I think.

It's not only Simon that needs to get a grip. Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are happy with your investment? If I was you, I'd be asking myself some serious questions about the current situation.

I'm actually hoping that some other club takes a punt on Simon now.
    rosvere

Post by rosvere Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:16 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:Hey, Irving. Do you remember a player called Kieran Gonzalez? Ask Simon. He will......

How dare you even have a swipe at us fans through some shoddy statement. If you actually listened to the real fans, you would understand what our gripes are. And further again, you give me a bloody reason why I should be positive? You should be running the club better than hanging the Secretary and Volunteer out to dry. And if you don't like reading this, get Tad, or anyone else to approach me, and I will tell you exactly what I think.

It's not only Simon that needs to get a grip. Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are happy with your investment? If I was you, I'd be asking myself some serious questions about the current situation.

I'm actually hoping that some other club takes a punt on Simon now.
    I can't see railway taking a punt on Simon unless daddy brings his money aswell:x 
    Also I don't recall Simon ever taking the blame for any poor results since he joined us.
    Seems like there is a pattern developing here!!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:31 pm

Knaresborough Town might be tempted.....
    BB

Post by BB Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:30 am

Look fellas, maybe we should all take a deep breath?

Yes, maybe the offer of resignation, if there was one, should have been refused. Maybe it was, but the person felt that, in all conscience they couldn’t continue – and all credit to them. Maybe they had the chance of a better job anyway.

If the club hadn’t made a statement, or made a vague one, we’d all be banging on about secrecy, and them covering up for someone, and how it’s going to cost us at the end of the season.

I agree that Irving shouldn’t have used this opportunity to take a shot at us fans (the majority of whom will continue to turn up, come rain or shine). BUT, he is still, as far as I’m concerned, the best chairman in our league, or possibly many others. And no, I don’t know any other chairmen… but you get my point – what has he done that is detrimental to the club, or set us back in any way? (and don’t say the obvious one, ‘cos that is never going to change, so there’s no point harping on about it).

3 points lost through an admin error IS very serious, and we could well rue it in the coming months. I suppose at least players have the chance to redeem themselves when they cost a team 3 points – which they do, at all levels of football, most weeks.

Now IS the time for everyone to stand up and be counted – the team and management should be foremost in that – THEY are the ones who can show everyone what commitment they have to Harrogate Town.

To paraphrase Irving’s statement – More bad performances and results will be unacceptable.

And please, no more tippy- tappy sh*te near the halfway line when we’re 1 – 0 down against 10 men with 5 minutes to go.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:21 am

Fair enough BB, bit I'm afraid the 'fragile, insincere support' comment has only succeeded in making me even angrier than I was yesterday (and believe me I was angry then!). I know MY support isn't fragile or insincere, I wonder who that jibe was aimed at? The old cliche about digging holes and failing to stop, springs to mind. The irony is that most of the posters on here are the people who keep on turning up, supporting the club, come what may.

Anyway whats done is done, BB is right there. Now its up to the players (and manager, Irving please note), to get us out of this mess, starting Saturday. Lets see what you are made of, and no excuses please.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:45 am

BB wrote:
    Yes, maybe the offer of resignation, if there was one, should have been refused. Maybe it was, but the person felt that, in all conscience they couldn’t continue – and all credit to them. Maybe they had the chance of a better job anyway.
    Did she jump or was she pushed? Was it mutually beneficial to both parties for her to move on? We might never know but it doesn't really matter, neither of those things are relevant. The bottom line is a mistake was made by a young, relatively inexperienced, low paid member of staff and a volunteer and the club have totally abdicated any responsibility for it happening. No words of regret or remorse, just down right scapegoating. f**k me, club folk keep coming on here begging for volunteers and guilt trip us for not stepping forward, Christ if that's how volunteers get treated they've no chance. Anyone who thought that statement from the chairman was ok to put out and that it would smooth things over is a fool. It had all the tact and class of a nuclear bomb. What appalling leadership. Being a bastard might work in the business world but this a football CLUB. I think some people need to go and find out precisely what a CLUB is supposed to be. That last line tellingly reveals just what utter contempt the supporters are actually held in by those at the top. And you can also sense that from some of the club insiders who come on here and harass and accuse anyone who doesn't toe the party line or share their cosy view of things of being a trouble maker. I think it's fair to say there's a few too many precious egos on board at the moment.

Furthermore, it's clear from what others are saying that this isn't the first admin gaffe. Just as it wasn't the first time we've been caught short without a spare goalkeeper. The club need to acknowledge this, accept their share of the responsibility, explain how these things keep happening, apologise and assure us that they won't happen again. Not lash out at all and sundry.

BB wrote: (and don’t say the obvious one, ‘cos that is never going to change, so there’s no point harping on about it).
    I presume you mean the manager's position? If you're saying that he stays in charge no matter what happens on the pitch then I'm afraid we're very much doomed as a club. NOBODY should have an unlimited safety net, especially the manager. I'm all for long term stability and not making rash decisions but if we perpetually continue to tank then he can't remain in his post indefinitely, no matter who the chairman is and if they are all in some nice little comfort zone where they think there are no consequences to repeated failure then perhaps that's why we're not doing better. They are also very much mistaken. If things get a lot worse then I shouldn't think it would be difficult to get a few hundred people to start boycotting matches. They'll probably do it of their own accord anyway.
    mick1423

Post by mick1423 Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Charlie - Good luck and Thank you

I just felt I had to say something on here .I am the proud parent of Charlie ,thank you for all
    the kind things said about her on here .The way Harrogate town FC have treated Charlie over
    this matter is quite disgusting . For her to be made to feel worthless and in tears and receive
    no back up from so called working colleagues ,is a terrible injustice .Charlie was learning on the
    job . She loved her time there . Loved her job . Some people need to take a good hard look at
    themselves , at HTFC .The Male dominated world of football is no place for a young woman to
    work . She has taken one for the team . People do make mistakes .She could not work there any longer .WE are very proud of how she handled it. It took great restraint for me not to get involved.
    Charlie has moved on , she has a new great job , and life is great for her .
    Karma will have its say .......
    HTFC has lost out big time ,

Post by Guest Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:46 am

Dark Knight wrote:
    BB wrote:
    Did she jump or was she pushed? Was it mutually beneficial to both parties for her to move on? We might never know but it doesn't really matter, neither of those things are relevant. The bottom line is a mistake was made by a young, relatively inexperienced, low paid member of staff and a volunteer and the club have totally abdicated any responsibility for it happening. No words of regret or remorse, just down right scapegoating. f**k me, club folk keep coming on here begging for volunteers and guilt trip us for not stepping forward, Christ if that's how volunteers get treated they've no chance. Anyone who thought that statement from the chairman was ok to put out and that it would smooth things over is a fool. It had all the tact and class of a nuclear bomb. What appalling leadership. Being a bastard might work in the business world but this a football CLUB. I think some people need to go and find out precisely what a CLUB is supposed to be. That last line tellingly reveals just what utter contempt the supporters are actually held in by those at the top. And you can also sense that from some of the club insiders who come on here and harass and accuse anyone who doesn't toe the party line or share their cosy view of things of being a trouble maker. I think it's fair to say there's a few too many precious egos on board at the moment.

Furthermore, it's clear from what others are saying that this isn't the first admin gaffe. Just as it wasn't the first time we've been caught short without a spare goalkeeper. The club need to acknowledge this, accept their share of the responsibility, explain how these things keep happening, apologise and assure us that they won't happen again. Not lash out at all and sundry.

BB wrote: (and don’t say the obvious one, ‘cos that is never going to change, so there’s no point harping on about it).
    I presume you mean the manager's position? If you're saying that he stays in charge no matter what happens on the pitch then I'm afraid we're very much doomed as a club. NOBODY should have an unlimited safety net, especially the manager. I'm all for long term stability and not making rash decisions but if we perpetually continue to tank then he can't remain in his post indefinitely, no matter who the chairman is and if they are all in some nice little comfort zone where they think there are no consequences to repeated failure then perhaps that's why we're not doing better. They are also very much mistaken. If things get a lot worse then I shouldn't think it would be difficult to get a few hundred people to start boycotting matches. They'll probably do it of their own accord anyway.
    Fully support all the above from Dark Knight. Next step is for the Board to announce a statement on recent events in Syria!
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:53 am

mick1423 wrote:Re: Charlie - Good luck and Thank you

I just felt I had to say something on here .I am the proud parent of Charlie ,thank you for all
    the kind things said about her on here .The way Harrogate town FC have treated Charlie over
    this matter is quite disgusting . For her to be made to feel worthless and in tears and receive
    no back up from so called working colleagues ,is a terrible injustice .Charlie was learning on the
    job . She loved her time there . Loved her job . Some people need to take a good hard look at
    themselves , at HTFC .The Male dominated world of football is no place for a young woman to
    work . She has taken one for the team . People do make mistakes .She could not work there any longer .WE are very proud of how she handled it. It took great restraint for me not to get involved.
    I'm really sad and disappointed to read all that Mick. I'm pleased Charlie has been able to move on, please send her all of our regards and best wishes. Shame on the club. Trust me when I say this won't be forgotten by the REAL supporters of football in this town and I've no doubts that all of this will come back to haunt the club. They've lost a lot of goodwill and respect, if indeed they had much to start with.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:58 am

mick1423 wrote:Re: Charlie - Good luck and Thank you

Mick, its clear Charlie handled the situation with great dignity - you're right to be very proud of her. I'm sure her experience at Town will only make her stronger.

Best wishes,

TS
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:16 am

The fact that no-one had the guts to back her up makes me sick. I hope the people who run the business side of things, and the people who work with her and didnt back her up should be ashamed of themselves, and what Mick1423 said is true. Karma will come around, and what comes around, goes around.

A good tip for the Chairman and his staff: Never underestimate fan power. There is only so much money can do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:03 pm