Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+8
Dan_Gleebitz
trevdee
sulphurite
HTAFC Press Officer
TheNeil29
A1 drifter
Dark Knight
Big Lundy
12 posters

Brackley Town

rangerider
    rangerider

Brackley Town - Page 2 Empty Re: Brackley Town

Post by rangerider Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:51 pm

WE ARE IN FREE FALL three games on the trott lost two off them at home and no points, thats relegation form and without a decent striker its going to get worse but you know that already and don't say we have them because we haven't,
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Because, although I have spoken to him, and he is a real top guy and someone I would quite happily have a pint with, I'm just not convinced that he is the right man to take the club to the next level. He has the squad and the budget to take this club to the next level and we have the planning permission to improve the ground to take the club further up the football ladder. But there is only so much that having a big budget and a rich chairman, who is also your dad, can do.

The best managers are the ones who will get their players to run through brick walls and give it all on the pitch every time they play and someone who the players totally respect. He doesn't seem to have the ability to do this with the squad, and that's the problem.
    harrogateman

Post by harrogateman Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:30 pm

Thought Brackley looked very average probably not as good as last season. We won this fixture 6 - 1 last year and this time with half a g:( ame v 10 men we don't even score. Last season at this time we were free scoring this time Sad Sad .........................................................
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:39 pm

The bottom line is we are underachieving. Which is why I retain hope we can turn it around, starting next week in the cup.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:44 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    To be fair the playing budget has just got smaller with recent departures & with the cost of the new stand I would be surprised if the playing budget is larger than last season!
    We have a few other clubs contributing a % towards some of the wages!
    Guiseley have cut their playing budget in order to bring their ground up to scratch to stay up when or if promoted!
    We are in the same boat to some extent!
    Money for the team, money for the ground!
    Once the ground is up to the required standard then things might be different!
    Mostly free transfers again

Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:18 pm

Cool 
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:55 am

I've just seen the post match comments and I say this as someone who, as you all know, has kept positive and remained optimistic but if they genuinely think that we were "superb" or first class in the first half then we really are royally screwed. Talk about delusions of grandeur. It was an absolute wet lettuce of a performance. If that was us being great and unlucky I'd hate to see us on a bad day. If everyone at the club is happy with that then we'll be lucky to get 200 people watching by Christmas.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:36 am

Something else I need to mention, who is the guy on the PA system? I'm sure he's a lovely fella with his heart in the right place but you just shouldn't be talking about things like the opposition's current form, especially when they are still out there on the pitch warming up! And you certainly shouldn't be publicly criticising match officials. Poor form that. He makes me chuckle most weeks but I'm afraid it's mostly unintentional.

Two other things that I experienced yesterday, firstly at the turnstile and then in the club shop, coupled with everything else I've mentioned has left me feeling that we are still a Mickey Mouse club with a very long way to go. And when someone with my resolve thinks that then you have to be wonder what the more casual observer must be thinking.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:28 am

The problem you have at this level is that a lot of the staff on Saturdays are voluntary, and don't get paid. I have noticed certain things/traits as well, but at this level. It's par for the course I'm afraid. We are a lot better run than some clubs I've been to. It's a shame that we can't produce the results on the pitch.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:59 am

I understand what you're saying Neil but it's probably best the club doesn't adopt slogans like "This is our season" when it's still amateur hour on and off the pitch. It's kind of false advertising and misleading!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:27 am

I know exactly what you are saying, but we could talk about everything about harrogate town all day. For me, it is simple. Performances on the pitch are the most important thing to attract supporters. You can do everything possible inside the club to improve the fanbase, but it's ultimately a results business. You don't get the results, the fans won't come. If results are good, fans will come. The squad is there to achieve promotion or playoffs at least. Just get the tactics set up solidly, with a good backup plan. Have a set first XI in your mind, play the players in their preferred positions, and the results will come. It's not rocket science.
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:17 am

TheNeil29 wrote:I know exactly what you are saying, but we could talk about everything about harrogate town all day. For me, it is simple. Performances on the pitch are the most important thing to attract supporters. You can do everything possible inside the club to improve the fanbase, but it's ultimately a results business. You don't get the results, the fans won't come. If results are good, fans will come. The squad is there to achieve promotion or playoffs at least. Just get the tactics set up solidly, with a good backup plan. Have a set first XI in your mind, play the players in their preferred positions, and the results will come. It's not rocket science.
    Well after yesterday's post match comments I wouldn't hold out much hope of that. They seem delighted with what was churned out yesterday.

Admittedly I'm in a foul mood this morning but my matchday experience yesterday was thus: Got to ground and got held up at the gates. Don't know what was going on and to be honest I didn't mind waiting if there was a problem but what got my goat was that after waiting patiently some numpties were allowed to queue barge me seemingly on the basis that they were familiar faces. Then I thought I'd take my first ever sojourn over to the club shop. I'm utterly skint until next month but after last week's announcement over the PA that the club shop will soon be undergoing improvements and will soon be accepting debit/credit cards I thought I'd have a nosey. I want to buy my son a home shirt and an away shirt and I was hoping to see one or two nice goodies for myself so I thought I'd get a heads up for next month when my ship comes in and I can spend like there's no tomorrow! So I walk in, have a look around. It's a bit uninspiring isn't it? But anyway never mind, I'll wait and ask the fella about when we'll be able to pay by card and I'll check on the stock levels for the kids replica shirts. After initially making me feel like I'd interrupted his busy schedule, when I ask about paying by card, the fella looks at me like I've just taken a dump in front of him! He had no idea what I was talking about. "No we'd need a machine to do that"...really? And there was me thinking you could do Visa card transactions by osmosis. Then I ask about the shirts. Depends what size I'm after apparently. 6-8. Oh yes probably got some. Then he has a rummage round. Yes we've got a couple in. What about the away shirt? "Oh no I wouldn't have thought so". I politely urge him to have a look. "No just XXL". Well will I be able to get one? "Erm don't know, might have to order one erm..." At this point I gave up. Sorry for wanting to splurge £60 or £70 in your shop. I realise it's unusual. Good day.

Then I take my place in the stand to see half the team is missing or benched, watch 90 minutes of absolute drivel and then read that the manager and players thought it was some of the best we've played all season. What an afternoon.   affraid 

The club has made great strides, I can see this. They've also put together a very good squad. I'm absolutely of the opinion that we have players as good as anyone in this division and that there is nobody we should fear. Playoffs was most people's target at the start of the season but I honestly think that this group of players should be challenging all the way for top spot. The fact is that they have chucked enough points away to be in top spot right now. And if this was going to be "our year" I'm guessing part of the plan was to attract new supporters and continue to build the club. Well I saw someone at the game yesterday I really wasn't expecting to see, there with his son. I'll be astonished if I see them down there again judging by his reaction. And a mate I've been bringing down with his son, who was very keen at the start of the season, recently indicated he'd probably just come down once a month now but after reading his text yesterday I'm not sure he'll be back either. Each week I ask my eldest son if he wants to come down, he's 6 and I'm really trying to get him into the footy. He seemed to really enjoy the Hastings game last year. But frankly I'm glad he keeps declining my invitations right now as I'm afraid that what he will see might put him off for life!!!

Yes we're in the 6th tier and there's only so much you can expect but if it really is our aim to be higher, to be a better club, then this just won't do.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:59 am

You seem a glass half empty kind of guy!!!
    Have a word with
    Laughing
    Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:04 am

Big Lundy wrote:You seem a glass half empty kind of guy!!!
    Have a word with
    Laughing
    Not at all. It's just that when I commit to something and hand my money over each week I don't expect to be treated like crap.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:05 pm

Lundy. You are pathetic. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit you idiot. Dark Knight is making some fair and valid points. DN. Drop Ged a private message, because from a commercial point. The person in the shop needs to get his act together because some of his comments are just absurd. If you are unhappy about being barged on the gate and favouritism, then ask Ged on how to get it investigated or have a word with them. It isn't acceptable, and these people need to be made aware of it.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:27 pm

i had to report to the turnstile operator that the big gates at the hospital end next to the turnstile was unlocked all you had to do was push and you where in for free (bye the way i paid but i could have got in for free) and after i reported it they still did not lock it, in hindsight after that display i should have just walked in lol! 
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Big Lundy wrote:You seem a glass half empty kind of guy!!!
    Have a word with
    Laughing
    well thats an intelligent remark from a serious post its very easy just posting links on here "as you do" maybe you can enter the debate at a higher level

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:00 pm

I had a bad feeling about this game. For me the major warning sign was midweek and reading that bolder and woods had been relegated to the bench. As a result I gave Saturday's game a miss. Bolder and Woods are key to the team doing well so whatever the issues are then they need resolving fast. These two are just too good to ignore.

Lets not dismiss whst dark knight has to say either. The club is far too prickly when it comes to fans' obseevations - it should be possible to make comment without instantly getting shot down. The comments from thr pa announcer were undeniably inappropriate. Club shop sounds like work in progress if we're going to be polite.

So, what's next ... playing wise Simon takes a deep breath, gets all the players in for an extra training session. He makes sure every single player is known what is expected of them and what their role is. He makes the players feel a 100 feet tall if needed and gives a kick up the arse to some of the others. We go back to basics, we focus on rrebuildingconfidence again. And then when all else fails, we keep calm and pass to Bolder (although this only works when he's playing)
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:04 pm

just read the match report i,m not sure Peter was at the same match as me, we where awfull against an average side no penetration no midfield, defence was ok and did its job but we need to take the pressure off them by scoring but thats not happening especially at home, something seems to be wrong at the club at the moment and it needs sorting asap before we are playing in front of 100+ in future home games
    HTAFC Press Officer
    HTAFC Press Officer

Post by HTAFC Press Officer Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:17 pm

No, I was at the same match as you. Yes we lost but, to sort of quote Big Lundy, I am a glass half full person and try and see the positive in ALL situations. The match report will never appeal to everyone, if it is too negative, people get upset, if it is too positive, people get upset, but judging from some of the replies that I have been emailed, including some from some Brackley fans, it has been well received, I'm sorry you don't like it rangerider but that is your opinion and I respect that. I have no doubt that you will have your say.

Yes we had trouble scoring, yes maybe some of the play wasn't up to top scratch but ultimately it is a marathon not a sprint. Yes we have lost three games on the bounce but, in my opinion - and I concede that this is just my opinion, yours will differ and I respect that, but there are plenty of games left to play. I remember Barrow having a terrible start to the season about 7/8 years ago (I am sure Big Lundy will remember this), they got to Christmas and then stormed the league, I think it was something like 16-17 games undefeated in the end and wallop they got promoted. Now, I am not saying that this will happen to us but it can happen. There is certainly no need to press the panic button at the moment in my mind anyway. Yes I am a fan, yes I am an employee but I still want us to win very game and play exciting football, however having been in this game for a long time now, it doesn't always happen. We lost matches under Reed, we lost matches under Aspin and we lost/will lose matches under Weaver - fact of life unfortunately. All managers make decisions and as fans we are left scratching our heads as to why - again fact of football life! Moyes is having the same issue at Manchester United, so it is a football thing!

Now I realise that the knife sharpeners amongst you will be going great guns at the moment, thinking of witty/pithy/clever comebacks to the above - go for it. I can't, nor do I want to stop you. Debate makes the world better - So let the floodgates open.

Off that topic now, I would, and so does the Chairman, stress, if anything has happend that you deem not to be 'good service' (and before the witty comebacks of yeah the stuff on the pitch arrive). Please write or email the club. It is fine discussing it on this forum but the Chairman/club will pay more attention if it is in the form of a written media. Obviously, it is up to you should you wish to. If you wish to email then please use the contact form on the website, or the email address is in the programme.

I know that Alan, who does the pa, is a top gentleman and would be mortified to think he has caused upset or distress. I must admit that I didn't hear any comments from him about form or the officials but I was sorting various press things out/taking photos so I concede that I may well have missed them.

Oh well, let the onslaught commence.

Kind regards,

Peter

Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:32 pm

No onslaught from me Peter. I regard your (or anyone else's reports for that matter) as the view of one person. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. Like so many things it's an opinion (like whether to have a substitute goalkeeper on the bench).

It's Lundy I feel sorry for. Making a quip and getting called pathetic is in my view somewhat out of order.

The Brackley fans that I talked to generally thought they didn't play well. However, whether that was due to them having an off day or our tactics preventing them from playing their normal game I can't tell.

I'd also echo your point about e-mailing the club if you find something out of order. For information, those who have read the programme will note the expectation that there will be a new shop by Christmas. It IS a work in progress (as I understand it - and note that the Supporters Club has little control over what is or is to be sold in it). I know that it's a source of consternation, but stick with it.

And YET AGAIN I'll make an appeal for volunteers. Neither the Supporters Club or (I'm sure) the Football Club have anywhere near enough people rolling their sleeves up to lend a hand. We're a part time club for pete's sake. And given that the players all have other jobs, I understand that it's sometimes difficult for them to get time off.

I'm not sure that people actually understand what does happen behind the scenes and how it gets to happen. With more bodies prepared to lend a hand, more will get done and quicker.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:00 pm

Dan. Lundys quip comment was out of order not appreciated, and I found it quite pathetic after DNs post. DN makes some extremely valid points, and I am also aware of the volunteer issue, but if what DN says is true about the club shop and waiting to get in, then regardless, the volunteers involved need to be informed what is expected of them as representatives of the football club. And I'm sure DN will email the club.

Secondly, to Peter, unfortunately the Barrow situation will not happen, and I would put my money where my mouth is on that one, quite happily. We also all know that losses are inevitable, but the manner of the defeats is very hard to take. They were all games that should have been won, and comfortably. I don't mind if we lose, as long as they have given it their all. As long as the PA goes. Stand and listen next time, as i'm surprised he gets away with some comments. I do appreciate your view on it all, but I just think differently to you, and I look at things from a neutral perspective.

Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:45 pm

town supporter wrote:
    Lets not dismiss what dark knight has to say either. The club is far too prickly when it comes to fans' obseevations - it should be possible to make comment without instantly getting shot down. The comments from thr pa announcer were undeniably inappropriate.  Club shop sounds like work in progress if we're going to be polite.
    Well quite and I think Peter and Dan have been a bit prickly in their responses.

HTAFC Press Officer wrote:No, I was at the same match as you. Yes we lost but, to sort of quote Big Lundy, I am a glass half full person and try and see the positive in ALL situations. The match report will never appeal to everyone, if it is too negative, people get upset, if it is too positive, people get upset, but judging from some of the replies that I have been emailed, including some from some Brackley fans, it has been well received, I'm sorry you don't like it rangerider but that is your opinion and I respect that. I have no doubt that you will have your say.

Kind regards,

Peter

I think I've been very positive about the club both on and off the pitch since joining the forum. I'm fighting as hard for the club as any fan could. I've been dragging mates down with their kids, spreading the word as much as I can and whilst we're on the subject of letter writing, if you think my criticisms have been a bit stinging on here you should see the email I sent to the editor of the Advertiser after the pathetic coverage we got following the Telford game. She never replied!

Unfortunately not everyone has the same levels of passion for the club and I've simply voiced my concerns that we're putting the casual follower off. I also think that there's a bit of a closed shop attitude that is putting off plenty of us who are more committed and would maybe like to have more input. In the short time I've been on here I've already detected a bit of "them and us". It sometimes feels like new people with ideas of their own are not welcome by the club.

The match report is fine Peter. Frankly anything other than a pro club stance on the official club website would be bizarre. What I was shocked by was the manager and the players comments. Of course football is all about opinions but if they honestly think we were brilliant or unlucky yesterday then I'd like some of what they are smoking. I don't think anyone walking out of the ground yesterday shared the view that it was one of our best performances and believe me there was nothing unlucky about the awful double miss by Worsfold and Hardy.

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:
    And YET AGAIN I'll make an appeal for volunteers.  Neither the Supporters Club or (I'm sure) the Football Club have anywhere near enough people rolling their sleeves up to lend a hand.  We're a part time club for pete's sake.  
    Are we going to have that thrown in our face every time someone should have a gripe? At the end of the day we turn up, support the team and put our hands in our pockets (or not as the case was yesterday, despite my best efforts to part with some cash). I understand the need for volunteers and we'd be lost without them but that shouldn't be an excuse. Nor should those of us that don't volunteer be made to feel guilty. I'm afraid I have 3 young children and therefore just getting to the game is an effort in itself but as soon as funds permit, I intend to join the supporters club and maybe attend some of the meetings.

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:  For information, those who have read the programme will note the expectation that there will be a new shop by Christmas.  It IS a work in progress (as I understand it - and note that the Supporters Club has little control over what is or is to be sold in it).  I know that it's a source of consternation, but stick with it.
    This is what I'm talking about really. I didn't buy a programme yesterday as I literally used my last £12 to get into the game and so I didn't know any of this. But how come the guy in the shop didn't know either?

Also I've been working on a few designs for some merchandise in my spare time, largely due to my frustrations at not really being able to get hold of the things I'd like and as they say - be your own customer. I was thinking about getting a few trial items made up and presenting them to the club to see what they think but reading this makes me think my ideas will not be welcomed and I'll be wasting my time and money. I'll probably just end up making them for myself to be honest.

Last edited by Dark Knight on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:01 pm

HTAFC Press Officer wrote:No, I was at the same match as you. Yes we lost but, to sort of quote Big Lundy, I am a glass half full person and try and see the positive in ALL situations. The match report will never appeal to everyone, if it is too negative, people get upset, if it is too positive, people get upset, but judging from some of the replies that I have been emailed, including some from some Brackley fans, it has been well received, I'm sorry you don't like it rangerider but that is your opinion and I respect that. I have no doubt that you will have your say.

Yes we had trouble scoring, yes maybe some of the play wasn't up to top scratch but ultimately it is a marathon not a sprint. Yes we have lost three games on the bounce but, in my opinion - and I concede that this is just my opinion, yours will differ and I respect that, but there are plenty of games left to play. I remember Barrow having a terrible start to the season about 7/8 years ago (I am sure Big Lundy will remember this), they got to Christmas and then stormed the league, I think it was something like 16-17 games undefeated in the end and wallop they got promoted. Now, I am not saying that this will happen to us but it can happen. There is certainly no need to press the panic button at the moment in my mind anyway. Yes I am a fan, yes I am an employee but I still want us to win very game and play exciting football, however having been in this game for a long time now, it doesn't always happen. We lost matches under Reed, we lost matches under Aspin and we lost/will lose matches under Weaver - fact of life unfortunately. All managers make decisions and as fans we are left scratching our heads as to why - again fact of football life! Moyes is having the same issue at Manchester United, so it is a football thing!

Now I realise that the knife sharpeners amongst you will be going great guns at the moment, thinking of witty/pithy/clever comebacks to the above - go for it. I can't, nor do I want to stop you. Debate makes the world better - So let the floodgates open.

Off that topic now, I would, and so does the Chairman, stress, if anything has happend that you deem not to be 'good service' (and before the witty comebacks of yeah the stuff on the pitch arrive). Please write or email the club. It is fine discussing it on this forum but the Chairman/club will pay more attention if it is in the form of a written media. Obviously, it is up to you should you wish to. If you wish to email then please use the contact form on the website, or the email address is in the programme.

I know that Alan, who does the pa, is a top gentleman and would be mortified to think he has caused upset or distress. I must admit that I didn't hear any comments from him about form or the officials but I was sorting various press things out/taking photos so I concede that I may well have missed them.

Kind regards,

Peter

Ditto, no onslaught from me - I'd say as the club's press officer a positive spin is exactly what's required. Not easy pitting together a fair and balanced match report.

The Barrow example is unfortunate though as I'm sure it came about from the club sacking the manager and apointing joint managers bayliss and sheridan!

Overall though, easy to pick holes when things aren't going according to plan, however valid some of the fans' concern may be. Solution - treat the fa cup game like the final and attack, attack, attack!
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:27 pm

DK keep making comments as you see fit, this is an open forum where all opinions should be expressed in an open and honest way especially as you are throwing your hard earned cash at the club.

The one thing I can't stand is when someone comes along and sprouts the glass half full/ half empty bollox...I'm as positive as the next person in day to day life, but what shouldn't be tolerated by any fan are blatant lies by the management of the club, are they trying to sell us timeshares?

I read the back page of the advertiser regarding Stalybridge and saw the comments from Simon saying the first half was the best display of the season...I'm sorry to say it was average at the very best, first 20 mins ok and then we fell to pieces we had bugger all posession (it made me furious that I had to read such trollop)...And now saying the Brackley game was fantastic too, just completely delusional ( I wasn't there but can tell by your comments).

But oh no, I have criticised the management, will Tad revisit his man hunt to try and find me now - do me a favour and ban me for life before I go insane!........It is just plain ridiculous how some seniors within the club are blind, so damn blind that they can't see the major problem that will hold us back!!

We go through this time and time and time again, season to season, when will it stop, when will he stop tinkering, it is just a joke now...perhaps Simon should have dragged his ass to all of the friendlies instead of jollying it up then maybe he would have a better understanding of the quality he has got within the squad and know what positions to play them in.

And before anyone starts, come and find me in the ground, plenty of people know who I am, happy to receive your criticism of my post face to face.

At least when Bolder was playing, even though not very well, we were getting some healthy results...now that Weaver is playing 2nd string players we are doomed, the balance just doesn't work, we are mid table at the very best and if it isn't addressed very very soon we may as well concede that this season is a massive crappy experiment.

DK just one thing about the club shop and I know Phil very well - Phil is great, the problem is that the commercial team don't communicate with him enough so really he is left out in the cold too often and for example would only find out about the credit card payment when it installed, or the shirts when they actually arrive........seems a common theme within Harrogate Town FC - lack of communication, or perhaps OVER PROMISING TO FANS/VOLUNTEERS, BUT UNDER ACHIEVING OR NONE DELIVERY - WHILST DISHING OUT DELUSIONAL COMMENTS OR PROPAGANDA!!

Now thats my overall opinion and has been for a while, I won't change my mind until words become actions - talk the talk AND walk the walk so to speak.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 4:39 pm