Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+7
duzza123
TheNeil29
sagalout
paulstreet
CLUBTOWNFAN
yorkbrian
Geoff
11 posters

Weaver resigns......

Geoff

Weaver resigns...... Empty Weaver resigns......

Post by Geoff Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:31 pm

himself to a long long long long long season ...... what a load of trash today
    yorkbrian
    yorkbrian

Weaver resigns...... Empty Re: Weaver resigns......

Post by yorkbrian Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:44 pm

Geoff wrote:himself to a long long long long long season ...... what a load of trash today

Ho ho

You beat me to it I was going to start the official "Relegation fight" thread.

The result yesterday means that we are back in the bottom three with four VERY tough games to come. In the scheme of things all four of these games should result in at best a draw, which will mean by the time we travel to Redditch on the 31st October, things will be desperate.

The points yesterday were extremely important (to both sides) and it should have been a cup tie performance. I must say if that is the response then I am not confident that the fight will be won. As said previously now is the time the management team must prove themselves - and please no more talk of play off possibilities. The team must be strenghthened, in my view starting with the midfield. Maybe the departure of Dean Gent will be the start of freeing up funds in the search for improvements.

I am not down and am fully behind what the club is doing. It just transpires that the first pass at creating a side to compete at this level on reduced budget has not clicked together. As said it is now down to the management to amend and tweak the side to create a better whole. If they do a Neil Aspion and sit on what they have got the Unibond beckons.

I will still be around if this happens and will look forward to the increased gates and local derbies once again.
    CLUBTOWNFAN

Post by CLUBTOWNFAN Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:48 pm

He wants to ...
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 am

Too early to write the manager's obituary but this is a mini-crisis and he needs to respond. He seems like a really nice guy and all that, but any manager stands and falls on results, Saturday was woeful.
    The truth is we probably are (because of the budget cuts and the choice of players - and it is Simon's squad after all) not really up to this level of football: half the players are youngsters released from Academies, and I think really struggling at this level, the other half are experienced but at a lower level: at best we have a Unibond Premier mid-table team. I'm NOT criticising the players: I think they are working their socks off, but they are having to play above their level, like, say, Plymouth Argyle playing in the Premier league.

What to do about it? Two things come to mind: get an experienced, grizzled old veteren manager to come in and assist Simon, I'm sure thats been done before.
    Secondly use some (or all?) of the £6000 coming from the Premier League - thanks guys, your too generous - to get in a couple of players: we desperately need a goalscorer, and some class in midfield.

Why oh why did we let Dave Syers go to Farsley? We let a class player go...crazy. Farsley can't have much money either but they have Ellington, a proven BSQ North striker and Granty, easy to criticise Granty, but he gets in scoring positions and will score you 10/12 goals a season. Will Moloney, Broadbent or Ryan? Incidentally after his goalscoring exploits in the reserves I think Ryan should at least have had a 30 minute run out on Saturday.

Saturday's game was always going to be massive, now its even more so: a win gives us money and, hopefully, a boost in confidence etc. A loss is barely worth contemplating, with all those tough league games to come.

I'll be there Saturday giving the lads 100% support, but time for Simon, Kvin and co. to start delivering the goods.
    sagalout

Post by sagalout Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:34 pm

I didn't go on saturday as I'm struck down with swine flu, but its apparent that Simon Weaver needs to manage, not play. Player managers never really work as you just cant get the big picture, and you'll always be one of the lads if you're in the team.

None of us can complain about the squad though. Theres only so much money in the pot and if that can only buy a unibond team then a unibond team we must be. I just wished there was a bit more honesty and bit less bluster from Bill.

The talk of playoffs, promotions and new grounds is frankly ridiculous when we need to concentrate on actually trying to stay in the league we're in.
    TheNeil29

Weaver resigns...... Empty Weaver Resigns

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:37 pm

I watched the game on Saturday, and the most frustrating sight was Simon Weaver starting again. I really do believe that he should be managing the team, not playing.

At this moment in time, if it carries on like this. We will be relegated. I was glad to see the captain sit them down after the game, as when they scored the first goal, we just capitulated. I realise that the team has just come together, with a new manager and all, but I do believe by now that they should be starting to gel and play together.

That performance on Saturday was embarassing for all Harrogate fans concerned. And as for the chairman, instead of talking about moving grounds, maybe he should put some of that money into the squad, we have the ground that is of a higher standard than most clubs in the Conference North. I believe that certain players in the squad are not performing, or being given the starts they deserve...ie. Zeph Thomas and Luke Durham for example.

It needs to improve, and quick, or we will be relegated.
    Geoff

Post by Geoff Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:28 pm

Fotherby went into the changing room before the Railway game and said to the players that his ONLY aim this season was to avoid relegation.....so any bluff and bluster from Town about play-offs and other lofty ambitions is divorced from what the bulk of the players were told before a ball had been kicked. It is all spin ...
    TheNeil29

Weaver resigns...... Empty Weaver Resigns

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:48 pm

Well, I'm not in the know enough to know what Bill Fotherby says to his players, but I dont draw conclusions. If we avoid relegation, then I will be happy.

I do think the squad is good enough, but I would like to see the team perform better, especially against teams around them in the league.

The performances need to improve drastically, or we will go down.
    duzza123

Post by duzza123 Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:44 pm

i agree the manager should concentrate on doing his job first.

and yes i think other people should be given more a chance like luke durham and zeph thomas for e.g.

luke durham seems very dangerous on the ball, fair enough on saturday didnt work out but he looks a real threat for us.

does anyone else agree?
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:56 pm

Luke durham is a very good player, I was very surprised that Huddersfield let him go. But Harrogate got him, and I believe that he could be the star player this season.

I'm really annoyed that Simon Weaver continues to start himself, when he isnt up to Blue Sq. North standard. It is having a detrimental effect on the team, because it looks like the other members of the squad are scared of messing up and this is affecting their game, and their performance to go with it.

I really do think now is the time for Simon Weaver to manage the team, not play in it. I believe that Weaver does have what it takes to be a very good manager for Harrogate Town, but he needs to focus on managing the team, not playing.
    duzza123

Post by duzza123 Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:47 pm

yes neil he could be our star of the season.

and yes i hope he does just manage, just to try and see how things go, we need to obviously make a few changes and we need them soon.

hopefully this weekend we can give a great performance and start our season.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:08 pm

I think we will beat Bradford Park Avenue, and I'm hoping also that the team will use this result as a springboard to start performing a lot better and giving the fans more optimism for the rest of the season.

I do believe that the squad is good enough for mid-table, and the only weak links in the first XI are Weaver and Maloney.

So, for my first XI

Lamb (GK)

Scott (LB)
    Bloomer (CB)
    Sturdy (CB)
    Harrison (RB)

Durham (Att LM)
    Woodhouse (CM)
    Dutton (CM)
    McTiernan (CM)
    Burrell (Att RM)

Broadbent (ST)

I think this team, could even push into top half.
    j2021

Post by j2021 Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:01 pm

I would have to agree completely mwit that line-up its perfect apart from id have hernandez in goal Wink i really think we need to outlet of the 2 wingers and yes burrell is a winger not where hes being playin in centre mid the last few games
    duzza123

Post by duzza123 Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:06 pm

yes i would also want to agree maybe push durham upfront he could cause the defenders some trouble with his pace but then again he's good outwide and yes burrel is a winger but that team neil could push for the mid table not where we are now. and hopefully we could have a good cup run Very Happy
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:00 pm

Thanks for the agreement on the team, its appreciated. The reason Hernandez was changed is because of his decision making at the weekend. I think Lamb is just a better keeper overall personally, but he does need to lose a few pounds.

I think as long as we put in a strong performance against Bradford Park Avenue, we will improve from there and it will give us the confidence to improve our league positioning also.

The manager should do himself a favour and read our thread. He might get some ideas.
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:16 pm

Has this happened yet? Wink
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:10 pm

Er, no. Interesting to read those posts though (5 years, only feels like 20!). The more things change, the more they stay the same eh?
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:24 am

Do it now, you useless, pathetic excuse of a manager.

#weaverresign
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:37 am

#sackweaver
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:12 am

You wonder how long Irving is prepared to let his son become a laughing stock? Fatherly love? I don't think so!
    Martin L

Post by Martin L Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:51 am

Colin Cooper anyone ? Lives in Harrogate.............just resigned from Hartlepool Utd.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:13 pm

I wouldnt be too keen on this appointment. His playing career was distinguished enough, but his first real management position at Hartlepool United

Date Start - 24 May 2013
    Date End - 4 October 2014

Played 65
    Won 19
    Drew 14
    Lost 32
    Win % - 29ish

He has even less managerial experience than Simon. Don't think Irving would go for him, in all honesty. He will go back to Boro as a coach under Aitor Karanka, I think.

Post by Guest Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:13 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:Do it now, you useless, pathetic excuse of a manager.

#weaverresign

So, just to clarify, you don't think Simon is a decent manager? Laughing
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:02 pm

No. I don't. He is tactically incompetent. He doesn't learn from his mistakes and the only reason he is still in a job is because of his father, who must be absolutely oblivious to the dross that is currently being played by the team. But I don't blame any players. The manager is the biggest problem.

#sackweaver #irvinggrowapair

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:48 pm