Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+8
HTAFC Press Officer
Superfan100
trevdee
Martin L
CCOB
paulstreet
Hovis
Big Lundy
12 posters

TOWN on TOUR! Oxford City

rangerider
    rangerider

TOWN on TOUR! Oxford City - Page 2 Empty Re: TOWN on TOUR! Oxford City

Post by rangerider Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:00 am

Harrogateman its simple goals scored in the last 5 games, Chester 6, Guiseley 6, Brackley 7, Halifax 8, Altringcham 9.Bradford 9 Harrogate 3, and two of them where gifted by a generous ref, when your forwards are not scoring it puts pressure on your defence knowing one slip up can cost us the game, and trevdee i can't believe you think we have a better strike force than most other clubs in this league we had till we lost the two players, Chib is our leading scorer with 13 goals most teams near the top have two players in double figures its not Chibs fault that he's been played out of position and i would play Adam up front with Chib i know your not a big fan of Adam but at least the lad can head a ball and is not frightened to go in where it hurts and gives his all when he plays it would have been a stop gap till Mr Weaver buys us a decent striker next season

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    htown

Post by htown Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:43 am

My bad harrogateman, you just sounded like a football captain, that's all. I applaud your positivity.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:44 am

It HAS been a great season, I guess thats why a lot of us feel disappointed and frustrated that its drifting away into a mediocre end: shades of those 6th place finishes under Aspin. Rangerider makes an unanswerable (in my view!) point about goals scored. Both Chib and Beesley started the season like a house on fire, banging the goals in on a regular basis. Chib sadly has virtually stopped scoring (I thought he was nailed on for 20 goals), to be fair to Beesley he has been in and out of the team, but doesn't seem to have re-captured that early season form. Without Platt we don't have goal scoring midfielderes, Larkin looks a pretty good player but is not a (regular) goal scorer, ditto Forrest.

I just wish Knowles could have stayed till the end of the season: he is not even on Burton's bench: he could have signed for them, but stayed with us.

I guess we should be positive: a great cup run (I'd been begging for one since Simon arrived!), in play off contention most of the season (and we are still notcompletely out of it: Fat Lady ain't singing just yet).

It will be interesting to see the retained list for next season, and how deep into his pockets Irving is prepared to go to support another tilt at the play offs.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:20 pm

I echo the above comments. When Knowles and Platt went, I knew we would start struggling. It has been the best season in quite a few years at Wetherby Road. A good FA Cup run, massive improvements to the ground and more improvement on the infrastructure.

I think when it comes to the Playoffs, I dont think it will happen now, I just feel that the other teams around us have just got a bit more to offer.

I just hope that the players can see the season out in style, and finish as high as possible in the league. There have been improvements year on year at the club, but at the rate of progress, the fans will be expecting (at least) to finish in the playoff positions next season, and I hope that Simon can deal with that pressure.

With regards to the retained list, I would keep maybe 7/8 of the current squad, and build around these players. I just hope that Weaver can convince those people in question to stay at Wetherby Road, as well as make some quality signings that will really enable us to push on next season.

I am very hopeful for the future of the club. Next Season will be the crunch season for Weaver, as the fans will expect more.

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:37 am

I think Neil is right, when it comes down to it, the teams above ua are probably just better, not by much but by enough. Having Knowles and Platt helped us punch above our weight for a while, but we got found out when they left.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:00 am