Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+7
JackHTFC
htown
trevdee
TooManyPies
rangerider
TheNeil29
paulstreet
11 posters

where are you now Weaver supporters?

where are you now Weaver supporters? Empty where are you now Weaver supporters?

Post by Guest Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:52 pm

Today proved Simon Weaver is out of his depth. I wouldn't trust him managing a 6 aside team. No reserve keeper is criminal, I've said before Adam isn't good enough at this level and don't even get me started on Matt Blooper.

Once again Weaver has taken an opportunity to change the team. When will he realise that the system and his inability as manager that's the problem. To win football games you need to play expansive football - Chester and Guiseley do it week in week out, stretching the opposition and getting the ball out wide. We could try simethig similar if we gave Robbie youhill a chance. Aspin did it with the likes of bettney, hunter and turley. And you don't drop your striker just because he fails to score in a game. All strikers go through patches where they don't score.

Jack makes a good point about bringing in someone to assist Simon manage the team. Wasn't this the intention behind appointing john deacey though and someone, presumably Simon didn't like the idea. I'll keep saying it until you all see sense, sack weaver.

where are you now Weaver supporters? Empty Re: where are you now Weaver supporters?

Post by Guest Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:36 pm

I was at the Boro v Hastings game.

Where where you when we beat Brackley ?

S.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

where are you now Weaver supporters? Empty Re: where are you now Weaver supporters?

Post by paulstreet Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:28 am

One defeat doesn't justify sacking (even if Simon was sackable, which he isn't), but I have to say it was a pretty strange team selection on Saturday: not picking Chib to start was strange to begin with, but not to bring him on at all was frankly crazy. And why wasn't Beesley even on the bench? I've had concerns about him, but he has been scoring goals regularly. Can someone tell me why Allen is even still at the club never mind starting against a quality team like Altrincham...again, utterly bizarre.
    If I was a conspiracy theorist (which, of course, I'm not) you might think Town didn't really want to win the game!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:50 pm

1. If we did ever get promoted in the next few seasons, we wouldn't be able to go up and the ground is not up to BSP standard, and I think that Irving would rather keep money in the bank for a new ground (if that ever happens)

Weaver would not have anyone coming in and undermining his authority. But lets be honest, if we had a John Deacey, or Steve Kittrick in charge, we would be doing a lot better.

The team selection on Saturday was very strange, but its not just one defeat, we have been too inconsistent of late, and the pitch is no excuse.

If Irving Weaver really cared about the club, he would overrule his son, and bring someone in with more experience, or ask McDermott and Weaver to switch roles?
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:29 pm

we have got 7 home games out of the next 9 games, if we got to a play off place i just dread to think what team the manager would play in a play off game after the Hastings and Altrincham debacle, we need a big striker in the Marc Smith mould someone to bully defences Chib cannot do it on his own

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:27 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:1. If we did ever get promoted in the next few seasons, we wouldn't be able to go up and the ground is not up to BSP standard, and I think that Irving would rather keep money in the bank for a new ground (if that ever happens)

Weaver would not have anyone coming in and undermining his authority. But lets be honest, if we had a John Deacey, or Steve Kittrick in charge, we would be doing a lot better.

The team selection on Saturday was very strange, but its not just one defeat, we have been too inconsistent of late, and the pitch is no excuse.

If Irving Weaver really cared about the club, he would overrule his son, and bring someone in with more experience, or ask McDermott and Weaver to switch roles?

John Deacey would be the ideal appointment - he's a town legend, he's well liked, knows the club, has good contacts and gets his team playing good football. As has been suggested, if Irving really wanted to move the club forward then this is the kind of change that is needed.

Last edited by town supporter on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : predictive text error)
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Its not as if i want Irving to sack his son, as that would never happen, and I have been a fervant critic of Simon Weaver in the past also, but lets be honest, and this is a very simple analysis. The strides the club has made in the past 3 years has been phenomenal. But I believe, and i'm extremely confident that the majority of HTFC fans will think this also, is that although he is a relatively young manager, Simon Weaver is not the man to take the club forward to the next level.

I want to see the club playing at League 2 standard in the next 10 years, and everything else is startng to fall into place for it to happen, but we need a more experienced manager to take the club to the next level. This is not a negative comment against Simon at all, I just think we need someone stronger, and more experienced.

And also, to me. We are all extremely grateful for Irving Weaver coming in and effectively saving the club from going under, but if he really wanted this club to go to the next level, he would look at these forum comments and at least take them into consideration.

TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:27 pm

[quote="TheNeil29"]Its not as if i want Irving to sack his son, as that would never happen, and I have been a fervant critic of Simon Weaver in the past also, but lets be honest, and this is a very simple analysis. The strides the club has made in the past 3 years has been phenomenal. But I believe, and i'm extremely confident that the majority of HTFC fans will think this also, is that although he is a relatively young manager, Simon Weaver is not the man to take the club forward to the next level.

I want to see the club playing at League 2 standard in the next 10 years, and everything else is startng to fall into place for it to happen, but we need a more experienced manager to take the club to the next level. This is not a negative comment against Simon at all, I just think we need someone stronger, and more experienced.

And also, to me. We are all extremely grateful for Irving Weaver coming in and effectively saving the club from going under, but if he really wanted this club to go to the next level, he would look at these forum comments and at least take them into consideration.

(You may have noticed I like the word 'level') Cool Cool
    TooManyPies

Post by TooManyPies Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:38 pm

I would like to "out" myself as a Weaver supporter. In my view he won't get us relegated (again) and he might give us a shot at promotion. Meanwhile his dad is turning us into one of the best run clubs at our level. The longer he stays here, the longer his dad stays here, the better Harrogate Town will be set to be prosperous in years to come. Simple decision. Sure sometimes we roll our eyes at defeats like the one at Alty but this season he has definitely done more good than bad on the field in my view.

Also, Harrogate Town to league 2 is a wholly unrealistic aim, even though I would love it to happen. History has shown that there is simply not enough support from the local people or the council to make that happen. Right now we are building into a club where some of these barriers regarding attitude might start to be broken down and I really think Wetherby Road is on track to becoming an outstanding 4,500+ venue but be realistic please. The clubs fighting to get out of the conference are big clubs such as Wrexham and Grimsby with league experience or clubs that have been bankrolled by sugar-daddies like Fleetwood and Crawley who will have a long way to fall when the investment drops off.

When Simon gets bored/good enough to leave so too will his dad and by that time this club would be doing well to be operating with financial responsibility at mid-Conference North level which in my view would be "the next level". We can't assume that another Fotherby or Irving will appear who wants to make a loss on us for whatever reason.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Has Irving actually come out and said he would walk away if Simon wasn't the manager? I have never thought it to be a good thing that a manager is sacked or leaves mid-season, I'm prepared to wait until the end of season to cast my opinion.

But for the remainder of the season he just needs to try and show some consistency, don't tamper with the team, if a players jumps out of form for one or two games, just stick with it as good players always come good again and get the basics right.

Oh and he needs to put a rocket up the players asses, they are to blame too...Instead of admiring a ball they just played or kicking a bit of turf after fluffing a shot, they should be focused on keeping their shape, sticking to the tactics and busting their guts to win the ball back.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:23 pm

trevdee wrote:Has Irving actually come out and said he would walk away if Simon wasn't the manager? I have never thought it to be a good thing that a manager is sacked or leaves mid-season, I'm prepared to wait until the end of season to cast my opinion.

But for the remainder of the season he just needs to try and show some consistency, don't tamper with the team, if a players jumps out of form for one or two games, just stick with it as good players always come good again and get the basics right.

Oh and he needs to put a rocket up the players asses, they are to blame too...Instead of admiring a ball they just played or kicking a bit of turf after fluffing a shot, they should be focused on keeping their shape, sticking to the tactics and busting their guts to win the ball back.

Without specifically stating it, I seem to recall Irving pretty much saying he wouldn't be there if Simon wasn't. The reality is that we're a million miles off the level of the top performing teams in the league. I will be celebrating the day Simon leaves the club. His inability as manager and the views of deluded so called supporters on here has annoyed me to such an extent that I have decided to no longer post on here until his daddy finds him a job elsewhere.

Best wishes,

Town supporter
    htown

Post by htown Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:29 pm

Trevdee in all fairness why would Irving explicitly state that. It would be admitting what we all know which is that Irving is only here because of Simon which he will never do as Simon will then lose what little credibility he still has in football. How can someone demand respect from players when his dad bought the club for him as a toy?
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:35 pm

he could try him in goal as we only have one goalkeeper it seems
    JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Post by JackHTFC Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:53 pm

I think it's time for another fans forum. So we can ask about how we are going forward, the hospital end, and most importantly how we are looking to improve on the pitch as in the end it's the football that counts!

I cannot fault the work Irving has done so far.
    pie and chips

Post by pie and chips Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Oh dear..........Town beat Boston - outplayed them apparently. Town Supporter will be so disappointed.
    Only comes on here when we lose!
    V'
    V'

Post by V' Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:57 pm

That is a massive result, well done Simon and the players. Now lets all keep calm and just climb that table!
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Fabulous result tonight - another 3 away points! Just hope the game can go ahead on Saturday
    Well done to all of the playing/coaching squad
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Just take a step back guys and girls

Altrincham
    Boston United
    Chester
    Halifax
    Worcester City

These are all incredibly well established non-league ex-league clubs

To be competitive with these sides is a fantastic achievement .... I was there sweeping the leaves off the pitch with Charlie Hartley when we were in the Yorkshire League Division 3

Our squad this year has tremendous togetherness and spirit - and no little experience which will be invaluable in the second half of the campaign

I have coached and officiated sport at the top level - believe me, this Harrogate Town set up is heading in the right direction

Post by Guest Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:37 pm

town supporter wrote:
    trevdee wrote:Has Irving actually come out and said he would walk away if Simon wasn't the manager? I have never thought it to be a good thing that a manager is sacked or leaves mid-season, I'm prepared to wait until the end of season to cast my opinion.

Without specifically stating it, I seem to recall Irving pretty much saying he wouldn't be there if Simon wasn't. The reality is that we're a million miles off the level of the top performing teams in the league. I will be celebrating the day Simon leaves the club. His inability as manager and the views of deluded so called supporters on here has annoyed me to such an extent that I have decided to no longer post on here until his daddy finds him a job elsewhere.

Best wishes,

Town supporter

I know, as we are in such a dire state compared to the Fotherby days, let's look back a little to the beginning of the season and set out what we would have hoped for, say by January :

1. 4 points off the playoffs
    2. Two thirds of our remaining games at home
    3. Several games in hand
    4. Best FA cup run in 98 year club history
    5. Pre Christmas free entry
    6. Investment in facilities
    7. Investment in ground
    8. Better community links
    9. A chairman that takes the time to communicate
    10. Financial stability so we don't go bust and drop down to the bottom tier of non league football
    11. See Town live on the telly

That's my first 11, lets now see yours Town Supporter.

Maybe we all have a bit of prejudice tucked away somewhere as you appear to have.

I remember being a directors guest of a visiting team at a pre-season friendly at Wetherby Road when Bill was Chairman. We walked into the Directors suite and mistakenly turned left instead of right when we entered the door. He spoke to me and others like we were dogsh*t, so you won't find me wanting to name anyone's end after him.

What is your anecdote to explain yours ?

S.
    TooManyPies

Post by TooManyPies Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:34 pm

Great to hear the result tonight! We do seem to like playing Boston. We now have 4 home games against teams below us in the league, in fact every game left this month is extremely winnable. We probably wont win them all but this is where we need the pitch to hold up and let us make our march up the table. Mostly settled for January on the long range Met Office forecast with no rain due in Harrogate at all for the rest of the week. Going to be cold though...

gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:51 am

slicker wrote:
    town supporter wrote:

Best wishes,

Town supporter

I know, as we are in such a dire state compared to the Fotherby days, let's look back a little to the beginning of the season and set out what we would have hoped for, say by January :

3. Several games in hand
    7. Investment in ground
    10. Financial stability so we don't go bust and drop down to the bottom tier of non league football

Maybe we all have a bit of prejudice tucked away somewhere as you appear to have.

I remember being a directors guest of a visiting team at a pre-season friendly at Wetherby Road when Bill was Chairman. We walked into the Directors suite and mistakenly turned left instead of right when we entered the door. He spoke to me and others like we were dogsh*t, so you won't find me wanting to name anyone's end after him.

S.

One other point to note - John Deacey, an honorable manager but 2 points ahead of Town and we have 5 games in hand - give me a break affraid
    And finally slicker your 11 points above are all good points but should be rounded off with a simple question - when "supporters" come on here slagging anyone off who is involved in Town, yes they do have the right to do so - but we also have the right to ask what have they done for Town other than pay there £12 and moan (if you have done loads Town Supporter then I apologise!) - everyone had the opportunity to help Town at the Hinckley game by inviting friends, family - how many potential new supporters did the "moaners" bring. I would suggest somewhere between 0 and 1 and 1 just left Town.
    We will no doubt have setbacks along the way, Simon will make mistakes (my God, I'm a referee and I admit I occassionally make them Wink) but make no mistake this management team is light years ahead of it's predecessor when it comes to personal commitment and ambition for the club as opposed to personal ego satisfaction (can't think of to many Town Chairmen that would have spent 3 hours before a game trying to get the pitch playable). If people don't like it that's up to them but pleased to see that the silent majority on this forum are starting to sound off. Have agreat week and look forward to Saturday - who are Knaresborough playing? affraid Very Happy
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:28 am

Ged, with all due respect, I am not slighting Weaver, but I am truly convinced that for the club to go to the next level, Simon needs more experience in his team, i used John Deacey as an example as he is well respected by HTFC fans. I am sure there are more experienced football men who are currently out of work and looking for an oppoortunity to get back into the game.

When it came to the Hastings game, I bought 40 people from my work, for the Hinckley game, I bought 25. I have managed to convert 10-15 of my friends to come and watch town instead of Bradford/York/Leeds. That is at least 10 more fans than HTFC used to have.

The progress that has been made in the past 3 years is nothing short of phenomenal, and we would never had imagined this in our wildest dreams whilst Fotherby was in charge, and all the staff at the club are to be congratulated on the amount of time, effort, commitment and dedication that I am sure goes on behind the scenes.

We all know that Simon is going to make mistakes, as i'm sure even the most experienced managers do, but to really build on this level of success on the playing side, that is obvious on the business and commercial side, Simon needs a more experienced hand to guide him, even if it is joining his coaching staff.

This is just my opinion, but I have been a loyal supporter of the club for the past 6 years I have been living in Harrogate, and that will continue.
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:46 am

gedmaloney wrote:
    slicker wrote:
    town supporter wrote:

Best wishes,

Town supporter

3. Several games in hand
    7. Investment in ground

S.

One other point to note - John Deacey, an honorable manager but 2 points ahead of Town and we have 5 games in hand - give me a break affraid
    And finally slicker your 11 points above are all good points but should be rounded off with a simple question - when "supporters" come on here slagging anyone off who is involved in Town, yes they do have the right to do so - but we also have the right to ask what have they done for Town other than pay there £12 and moan (if you have done loads Town Supporter then I apologise!) - everyone had the opportunity to help Town at the Hinckley game by inviting friends, family - how many potential new supporters did the "moaners" bring. I would suggest somewhere between 0 and 1 and 1 just left Town.
    We will no doubt have setbacks along the way, Simon will make mistakes (my God, I'm a referee and I admit I occassionally make them Wink) but make no mistake this management team is light years ahead of it's predecessor when it comes to personal commitment and ambition for the club as opposed to personal ego satisfaction (can't think of to many Town Chairmen that would have spent 3 hours before a game trying to get the pitch playable). If people don't like it that's up to them but pleased to see that the silent majority on this forum are starting to sound off. Have agreat week and look forward to Saturday - who are Knaresborough playing? affraid Very Happy

Initially when reading your comments I thought it was just referring to Town Fan but after reading again I see you are referring to "supporters" and "moaners". I guess after my rant following the Altrincham game you was also referring to me.

Well I fall under both of those categories, and will stick by what I say. I have nothing but praise for the way this club is moving but sometimes and I am mainly referring to the team selection at Altrincham the club seem to take a step back Simon goes back to his old ways and it puts a huge dampener on any kind of momentum. I think we have a right to moan in these situations don't you? We have certain players in this squad who are clearly not up to standard and the majority time that they have played we have been poor/ distinctly average and that is fact! I will also continue to "moan" when these certain guys are selected ahead of better players as my eyes do not lie to me and at that point will question Weaver's mindset.

I pay my £12 per game (you shouldn't underestimate that), buy merchandise and food...Oh I best also mention the away games I have been to - Hyde,Hastings,Colwyn Bay. Chester, Workington, Stalybridge,Gainsborugh x 2, Altrincham, Guisely, Droylsdon and probably one or two that I have missed. So please don't come on here and ask what the "moaners" have done for this club.......I defiantly had a right to moan after the horrendous show on Saturday, it was embarrassing.

Good to see better players were selected last night and look what happens when Chibs has a partner upfront...Now lets move forward, ignore Town Supporter (defiantly has a personal grudge with someone at Town) and crack on.
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:12 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:Ged, with all due respect, I am not slighting Weaver, but I am truly convinced that for the club to go to the next level, Simon needs more experience in his team, i used John Deacey as an example as he is well respected by HTFC fans. I am sure there are more experienced football men who are currently out of work and looking for an oppoortunity to get back into the game.

When it came to the Hastings game, I bought 40 people from my work, for the Hinckley game, I bought 25. I have managed to convert 10-15 of my friends to come and watch town instead of Bradford/York/Leeds. That is at least 10 more fans than HTFC used to have.

The progress that has been made in the past 3 years is nothing short of phenomenal, and we would never had imagined this in our wildest dreams whilst Fotherby was in charge, and all the staff at the club are to be congratulated on the amount of time, effort, commitment and dedication that I am sure goes on behind the scenes.

We all know that Simon is going to make mistakes, as i'm sure even the most experienced managers do, but to really build on this level of success on the playing side, that is obvious on the business and commercial side, Simon needs a more experienced hand to guide him, even if it is joining his coaching staff.

This is just my opinion, but I have been a loyal supporter of the club for the past 6 years I have been living in Harrogate, and that will continue.

And I respect your opinion - I would also take this opportunity to thank you for the contribution that you obviously made to the successful attendance achieved at both the Hastings and Hinckley games. There were quite a few Town regulars who brought 10+ to a fixture in which we hoped to showcase what Harrogate had to offer. Without the support of everyone at the club it would not have been the success it was.
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:28 pm

trevdee wrote:
    gedmaloney wrote:
    slicker wrote:
    town supporter wrote:

Best wishes,

Town supporter

3. Several games in hand
    7. Investment in ground

S.

Initially when reading your comments I thought it was just referring to Town Fan but after reading again I see you are referring to "supporters" and "moaners". I guess after my rant following the Altrincham game you was also referring to me.

Well I fall under both of those categories, and will stick by what I say. I have nothing but praise for the way this club is moving but sometimes and I am mainly referring to the team selection at Altrincham the club seem to take a step back Simon goes back to his old ways and it puts a huge dampener on any kind of momentum. I think we have a right to moan in these situations don't you? We have certain players in this squad who are clearly not up to standard and the majority time that they have played we have been poor/ distinctly average and that is fact! I will also continue to "moan" when these certain guys are selected ahead of better players as my eyes do not lie to me and at that point will question Weaver's mindset.

I pay my £12 per game (you shouldn't underestimate that), buy merchandise and food...Oh I best also mention the away games I have been to - Hyde,Hastings,Colwyn Bay. Chester, Workington, Stalybridge,Gainsborugh x 2, Altrincham, Guisely, Droylsdon and probably one or two that I have missed. So please don't come on here and ask what the "moaners" have done for this club.......I defiantly had a right to moan after the horrendous show on Saturday, it was embarrassing.

Good to see better players were selected last night and look what happens when Chibs has a partner upfront...Now lets move forward, ignore Town Supporter (defiantly has a personal grudge with someone at Town) and crack on.

Trevdee - for what it's worth I felt your note was balanced and to the point and as mentioned in previous correspondence have no issue with expressing those opinions. Thanks for your continued support - onwards and upwards cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 9:25 am