Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+6
Ball and Socket
paulstreet
rosvere
sagalout
Johnny
YoungStato123
10 posters

Oh dear, its gonna start happening again.

YoungStato123
    YoungStato123

Oh dear, its gonna start happening again. Empty Oh dear, its gonna start happening again.

Post by YoungStato123 Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Jon McDermott's words on the Town website:
    McDermott was unhappy at the manner of the goals conceded – especially when Town had started so well and he warned that the exit door may be about to open for under-performing players.

"We thought this could be the day when we gave something a good hiding," he said.

"We looked bright, we looked sharp and we were creating loads of chances and then we go and shoot ourselves in the foot like we have done for the last month and half.

"You look at the goals we conceded – two set-pieces and a penalty – what can you do?

"You can't let teams off the hook like we have.

"People are in there to do jobs and if they not going to do them, then maybe we have to get people in that are going to do them.

"That's down to the manager and myself to go and maybe do that.

"It's not just like it's one week, it's been over a massive six or seven games.

"It's not just defenders, it could be midfield players not coming back in and doing their jobs their told to do, so if they aren't going to do, we maybe might move one or two out."

One position definitely on the menu this week is a new forward to replace the injured Liam Hardy and McDermott confirmed this to be the case.

"Sometimes when you're looking at other personnel, certain things happen in games and now our priorities are changing again," he said.

"We're out to games three or four times a week, I think there's only Friday when we sit down with our own families.

"So, if people think we are only doing two days a week, we're actually out all the time.

"We've got a list, a lot of targets that we're aiming for and hopefully by next week, we'll have one or two new faces.

"A striker will be in there now."

Now come on, weve got a good team, its just are leaky defence costing us, no need to show the exit door to lots of players. But real gutted on the Hardy injury, looks like were gonna be bringing in a replacement this week.
    Johnny
    Johnny

Oh dear, its gonna start happening again. Empty Re: Oh dear, its gonna start happening again.

Post by Johnny Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:14 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Welcome to Harrogate Town.
    sagalout

Oh dear, its gonna start happening again. Empty Re: Oh dear, its gonna start happening again.

Post by sagalout Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:56 pm

Strange how they are so keen to hire and fire players at will, but seemingy take no reponsibility for the results themselves. Maybe John Mcdermott should apply that thinking to himself and Weaver, and we can get a management team with a modicum of tactical nouse.
    rosvere

Post by rosvere Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:28 pm

I'm waiting for the management to
    blame Bill.That is the best chance we
    have of getting rid of Weaver.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:40 am

Liam Hardy's injury is a shock, and lets all wish him well, but we shouldn't let it cloud the facts: as others have said this season is looking unbelievably like last season. In fact our record is almost exactly the same except that last season we managed to win 3 of our first eleven games, compared to two this season: better squad, bigger budget, ZERO (repeat ZERO) improvement. Now we hear the old 'shipping people out' mantra of last year. Incredible isn't it? Did you read Alan Williams in the Advertiser on Friday? 'Simon Weaver is the man for the job, no doubt about that'? What job is that exactly? Getting us relegated two years in a row? Its obvious that the powers that be at Wetherby Road have completely lost the plot, defending the indefensible. Alan talks about Simon's 'passion' but Alan thats IRRELEVANT, if you don't have the other necessary skills that a manager needs. I'd be passionate too if I was the manager, I'd also be crap. I mean Aspin always looked like he was going to a funeral, but he got results time and time again.
    At least Kyle Hadley looks like he might be a good signing, although we have said that about so many players before Weaver works his magic on them and makes them rubbish!
    Hardly a surprise either that the 'outline planning permission' wasn't delivered last Friday Shocked
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:13 pm

Could someone work out how many games Harrogate Town have played and lost in League and Cups under Simon Weaver's management. Goals for and against would also paint a clearer picture of what has been happening and continues to happen. One other statistic please. How many players have come and gone under Weaver? Maybe the management should be staying at home baby sitting and let their other halfs do the scouting!!
    sagalout

Post by sagalout Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Its easy enough for the league totals:

Played: 51
    Won: 10
    Drawn: 9
    Lost: 32

Goals for: 58
    Goals against: 104

We haven't played many cup games anyway, as we generally get knocked out sharpish!

Edit - its a quiet afternoon, so had a trawl through the Town website news section. Including the current squad I make it 57 players......its no wonder they cant gel together!
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks for the info. It says it all really. These stats don't lie. You cannot get consistency without a settled team. The management, whoever that may be in the future, need to build from the back and make sure that the team has a strong spine. That means an experienced keeper, centre half, midfield player and centre forward. You then build outwards. Its getting the balance right. This will not happen when players like Pell know that they will probably be looking at 'new' faces in the side week in week out. He has been made a scapegoat after Boston and last week when they let in three goals in the space of six minutes. Where was our centre half? On the bench!! Two more set pieces led to them scoring. Richard Pell was unused last Saturday so the management can't blame him this time. Mc Dermott is going on about underperforming players being shown the door. What a cheek! Weaver and his good self coach and select the team. What about the Chairman showing them the door? This set of footballers are being disheartened by the chopping and changing going on. So too are the supporters suffering at the fixed menu of tripe being served down at Harrogate Town FC.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:27 am

Personaly, i don't think there's a lot wrong with most of the players Weaver signed, in one sense he's achieved what Aspin never managed to do and that's sign some decent strikers (Danny Holland was signed by John Reed before you say anything!). The main problem is getting them to play for one another and with a bit of confidence. Most if not all the players appear to lack confidence. Pell, as an example, is a great defender, (I seem to recall some Blyth fans were devestated when he announced he was leaving) but recently he's all over the place, getting caught out of position, the wrong side, etc. Another player, Shepherd, skilful and pacy, but for some reason decides to clear the ball 40 yards back to the opposition when seemingly under no pressure, instead of taking his time, playing a short ball to feet, keeping possession etc. You've got to ask, why on earth does this keep happening? Ultimately, this is not due to players' lack in ability but other factors. I'll leave it at that for now ...
    Ball and Socket

Post by Ball and Socket Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Hello Guy. Fancy a beer tomorrow night. Meet at Blind Jack's in Knaresborough. It really does'nt matter how good the players are. If they do not want to play for their manager then the team will suffer. These players would play out of their skins for Reed and Aspin and therefore the results would improve.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:00 am

Ball and Socket wrote:Hello Guy. Fancy a beer tomorrow night. Meet at Blind Jack's in Knaresborough. It really does'nt matter how good the players are. If they do not want to play for their manager then the team will suffer. These players would play out of their skins for Reed and Aspin and therefore the results would improve.

Ahhh, the days of John Reed - happy days! I still remember debating with him on the supporters coach away to droyslden the benefits of starting with dave merris. Alas, he brought him on in the second half, he played terribly and we lost. I'll never forget the look on Reedy's face when we got back on the coach!

ps - you should hopefully have a pm from me.

Cheers
    YoungStato123
    YoungStato123

Post by YoungStato123 Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:39 pm

Michael Jacklin has left the club signed for Brigg Town.

Last edited by YoungStato123 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    itk

Post by itk Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:12 pm

Who is Michael Jacklin? Is he a first team player?
    YoungStato123
    YoungStato123

Post by YoungStato123 Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:34 pm

Exactly, another player who starts two games then disapears off the radar.
    itk

Post by itk Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:50 pm

What did he do? Was he any good?
    YoungStato123
    YoungStato123

Post by YoungStato123 Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:52 pm

How many games have you been to this year exactly? Jacklin played 5 games, got Man of Match on his debut against Stalybridge away. Then Weaver as he always does changed the team the next week and he wasnt starting, and was on bench for next 3 games then dissapeared. Now weve brought in these two defenders from Hull City...talk about faith these days
    j2021

Post by j2021 Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:59 pm

Yeah was a strange one with Jacklin, thought he did a good job when he played for us, hes one of the few defenders we've had that didnt make a mistake. Thought he was a good prospect he seemed to get dropped for no reason :S

hmmmm ah well thats Weaver for you Very Happy
    Anyway lets hope hes got it right now !!!
    itk

Post by itk Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:06 pm

I've not been to a game this season. I'm not parting with my hard earned cash to give it to part time wannabes who are playing football to supplement their paltry day job wages! I ain't no fool!
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:05 am

itk wrote:I've not been to a game this season. I'm not parting with my hard earned cash to give it to part time wannabes who are playing football to supplement their paltry day job wages! I ain't no fool!

So, not a supporter then?
    Johnny
    Johnny

Post by Johnny Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:55 am

sulphurite wrote:
    itk wrote:I've not been to a game this season. I'm not parting with my hard earned cash to give it to part time wannabes who are playing football to supplement their paltry day job wages! I ain't no fool!

So, not a supporter then?
    I'd say not, haha! Laughing
    TheTown
    TheTown

Post by TheTown Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:09 pm

I saw Jacklin away at Stalybridge and he was brilliant. Just headed everything and anything that came into the box - was easily MOM that day. Seems very strange that when we're struggling defensively he just seems to have disappeared a bit of the radar. From being a very steady performer think Bloomer has been caught out too many times this season as has Pell for one of this leagues best defenders. I hope we do become revolving door again and stuggle to know who is who when you turn up each week.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:23 pm

Amazed, and a bit disgusted, that Jacklin has been allowed to leave, surely a player we could have brought on and developed, looked really promising to me.
    YoungStato123
    YoungStato123

Post by YoungStato123 Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Ive gotta feeling somethings going to happen.
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Post by sulphurite Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:18 pm

YoungStato123 wrote:Ive gotta feeling somethings going to happen.

What might that be, give us a clue? Laughing
    YoungStato123
    YoungStato123

Post by YoungStato123 Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:25 pm

No say Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:58 am