Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

5 posters

The future of the club

Futuremessi

The future of the club Empty The future of the club

Post by Futuremessi Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:36 pm

I'm a fairly new supporter and i have taken a liking to the club mostly because of the nice looking ground and other reasons. I know what league there in and I know where they get promoted and relegated too but does anyone actually know the clubs long and short term plans. Like instead of having some directors message which basically tells us that things will be better but doesn't actually say how, why can't they think up a plan of how they are going to get into the league and execute it. If I was the manager now I'd get rid of all the players who aren't professional enough to get the club to the next level (players who won't commit themselves to the club and the fans to reach the next level). I'd get kids in like Marcus Day who scored 2 stunners against Nike academy. He obviously wants to get to the top if he can whilst he still young. There is a tone of things I would do. What do you think? Should the club release a 2-3 year plan or just hope and pray that the team will pull themselves together and start playing well?
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

The future of the club Empty Re: The future of the club

Post by paulstreet Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:52 am

The club has a fundamental (unique) problem in that all the ambitions in the world are meaningless if the manager in charge cannot deliver the goods. In every other club in the country this issue could be resolved in the usual manner, i.e. change the manager. This will never happen here, and, sadly, after 7 years in charge Simon Weaver plainly does not have what it takes to take the club to the next level. If he had it would have happened by now. He will always be given a budget sufficient to keep the club in the National North, but further progress is, I'm afraid, beyond him. Teams like Ferriby and Guiseley have made it, and given their resources, are doing wonders. Ground grading issues may force Ferriby down, and Guiseley may struggle to hang on in there. Next season in the North could be fascinating: York, Ferriby, Guiseley, BPA, Halifax, maybe Whitby! Who needs promotion anyway!
    Futuremessi

Post by Futuremessi Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:17 am

We need to get into the national league. I see your point about weaver but he did get the team into the playoffs last year so hopefully this year we can get in there again and go up, keeping the funds from the weavers. I like thing club but it feels like we're going nowhere.
    Wetherby Mike

Post by Wetherby Mike Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:13 pm

Given the club's history, the number of regular supporters and the smallness of the ground I think we are playing at our natural level. Town were one of the founder members of Conference North in 2004-5 and only two others have had unbroken membership - Stalybridge (who look like going down) and Gainsborough. Of the rest none have progressed to the Football League and only Southport and Altrincham (both struggling) Barrow and, arguably, Moor Green are in the National League. Town have reached the play offs twice and had one lucky escape from relegation but have generally been a goodish mid table side. Of course it would be great to get promotion but football supporters need to be careful what they wish for. One of Town's traditional rivals from days gone by, Farsley Celtic, got to the top level via the play offs, came straight back down and became a pretty anonymous side two levels below Town.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:08 pm

Yep given the various levels I have seen Town play at over the decades I would agree that this level is a good one to be at and as gi5od as we can expect in the current set up. As you say Paul there are going to be even better matches next season potentially and I cannot see us going up any time soon , despite the efforts of Guiseley and the Moors showing that it can be done. Likes of Braintree and Boreham Wood are smaller too. Liked your description of our situation too, better than I have stumbled at PS. Unique. Must be unique in football as a whole.
    Would just like Town to become a normal club again.
    Futuremessi

Post by Futuremessi Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:58 pm

I guess there is the risk of going up then coming right back down but I believe that now we have loads more support, a lot of funding behind us but unfortunately it isn't really been spent on new players etc. You never know, the next game could be the game that is the start of a new winning run that could get us into the play offs and up into the national league. Hopefully
    Townfan
    Townfan

Post by Townfan Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:38 pm

Wetherby Mike wrote:Given the  club's history, the number of regular supporters and the smallness of the ground I think we are playing at our natural level. Town were one of the founder members of Conference North in  2004-5 and only two others have had unbroken membership - Stalybridge (who look like going down) and Gainsborough. Of the rest none have progressed to the Football League and only Southport and Altrincham (both struggling) Barrow and, arguably, Moor Green are in the National League. Town have reached the play offs twice and had one lucky escape from relegation but have generally been a goodish mid table side. Of course it would be great to get promotion but football supporters need to be careful what they wish for. One of Town's traditional rivals from days gone by, Farsley Celtic, got to the top level via the play offs, came straight back down and became a pretty anonymous side two levels below Town.
    Good post Mike.  It's kind of where I stand.  Yes, I would like a punt at the National League at some point, but it is not a be all or end all.  It is not a lack of ambition on my part, just reality and my enjoyment of watching football at this level.
    You forgot Hyde in your missive and could probably add North Ferriby to that soon

Post by Guest Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:47 pm

Good shout Townfan re Hyde. Ferriby it must be inevitable with them being bound to the Allams. That said good on them and the likes of Mr fallowfield for showing spirit in the face of stiff competition and a direct bus stop straight to the Shay.

Next season would be too good to miss if york come down. The el-59.
    Surplus

Post by Surplus Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:27 pm

Who out of our current crop would be snaffled by other teams in the playoff places? Can see Emmett being of interest with Ainge, JP and Leesley? Thoughts?
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:34 pm

agree with most of this. Yes, I'd love the 'thrill' of promotion, but this is a good league, full of proper teams. I would love a really good cup run (3rd round job!), and I would just love to see another manager given a chance, but things could be a lot worse I could be a BPA supporter and have to go to that hell hole every other week!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:53 pm