Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+5
Big Lundy
Chips97
rangerider
TheNeil29
paulstreet
9 posters

Thoughts about the Tamworth game...

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Thoughts about the Tamworth game... Empty Thoughts about the Tamworth game...

Post by paulstreet Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:32 am

I know it was a 0 - 0 draw, but there must be something to say about Saturday's game! I actually thought it was pretty entertaining, both teams obviously wanted to win it, and, although there were not many clear cut chances, it kept me entertained pretty well. I really thought Swain had won it at the end there, how sweet would that have been: two 93rd minute winners in a row. Ellis I thought was superb, I lost count of the times that head of his rose up to clear the danger. Him and Shiels are a brilliant combination, tough on McGurk.

Question for you: should Thewlis be given the chance to start, dare I say in place of Clayton? I know what Clayton gives us, and everyone likes him (I do too!), but he doesn't really look like scoring, and he is a centre forward.
    Should space be found for Kerry, and if so, in place of who?

We got through one test on Saturday, an even bigger one against Chorley (away) awaits. I might actually stir myself to go, but I must say Tadcaster v Scarborough in the FA Cup is VERY tempting! And not so far to get home afterwards.

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Thoughts about the Tamworth game... Empty Re: Thoughts about the Tamworth game...

Post by paulstreet Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:39 am

Oops, sorry I mean Taddy v Colne, still pretty tempting.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Thoughts about the Tamworth game... Empty Re: Thoughts about the Tamworth game...

Post by rangerider Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:17 am

paulstreet wrote:I know it was a 0 - 0 draw, but there must be something to say about Saturday's game!  I actually thought it was pretty entertaining, both teams obviously wanted to win it, and, although there were not many clear cut chances, it kept me entertained pretty well. I really thought Swain had won it at the end there, how sweet would that have been: two 93rd minute winners in a row. Ellis I thought was superb, I lost count of the times that head of his rose up to clear the danger. Him and Shiels are a brilliant combination, tough on McGurk.  

Question for you: should Thewlis be given the chance to start, dare I say in place of Clayton?  I know what Clayton gives us, and everyone likes him (I do too!), but he doesn't really look like scoring, and he is a centre forward.
    Should space be found for Kerry, and if so, in place of who?

We got through one test on Saturday, an even bigger one against Chorley (away) awaits. I might actually stir myself to go, but I must say Tadcaster v Scarborough in the FA Cup is VERY tempting!  And not so far to get home afterwards.

Agree with what you are saying he needs to start scoring in fact having a shot on goal would be a start Swain had more efforts on goal in the short time he was on i would even try Swain in his position as we don't seem to have any one else to put in and he has pace and a cracking shot
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:27 pm

I am not sure about dropping Clayton as he brings others into the fold....I appreciate the bit where strikers are there to score but i think we need someone who will win arial battles up at the top and take the pressure off the defence and midfield...On that basis i would opt to keep him in

There is nothing stopping a half time change though!
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:29 pm

I thought it was a cracking point to gain against such a tough opposition who we would have got smashed against last season. Ellis is fantastic at the back and has really sorted out our defence this season..nothing gets past him!
    Personally for me when McGurk is back I would start him with Ellis but it's harsh on Shiels.

About this talk of dropping Clayton...no way should he be dropped he Adds so much more to our game than scoring goals, gives the opposition something to worry about. On Saturday Clayton was getting absolutely battered by Tamworth defenders and could have easily had a penalty first half if the ref and liner weren't so blind...! are we yet to have a decent ref this season?!

Anyway I'm looking forward to this Saturday which hopefully will end in a win after our woeful display there last season..wish I could forget it.

Up The Town
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:37 pm

Because overall we are not a big physical side we need to bully the opposition by playing high tempo football for 90 minutes!
    Unfortunately our legs went in the 2nd half allowing Tamworth the opportunity to push further forward & put us under pressure from set pieces!
    Not to dissimilar from the 2nd half v Hednesford!
    When you play 2 wide players the gap between your central midfield & forward line can become to big forcing you to play “to many” long high balls to your forward line making it easier for the
    Opposition’s centre half’s to clear!
    Clayton & Knowles were getting frustrated because of this & ended up giving to many free kicks away in the oppositions half!
    Enabling the opposition to gain possession immediately, go down, and then have a moan @ the official’s so they can have a breather!
    If you are going to make the most of high tempo football you need to keep the ball “Alive” as much as possible during the game!
    A lot of games in this league are won & lost in the last 15 minutes of matches!!!!!!
    To be fair both Knowles & Clayton have received very little ball “to feet” from the midfield which has gradually become a pattern over the last few games!
    We need one of the wide players to tuck inside sometimes to allow one of the central midfielders to move further forward with the ball! Although both Thirlwell & Nyoni are really holding midfield players Nyoni has the legs to get up & down better!
    We then might have a better chance of winning the 2nd ball higher up the pitch!
    Need to try & keep the strikers down the middle allowing space for our wide players to play!
    We ended up closing ourselves down to many times 1st half out wide by getting to close to each other!
    Playing high tempo for 90 minutes @ this level is difficult to do with part time players, but we have created more chances with having the 2 wide players & 2 strikers than when we are playing 4,3,3,!!!!!!
    Maybe try & get in front in games then alter the system a bit to close the game down during the match!
    Unfortunately we rarely get a couple of goals in front so our best bet is to try & play in the oppositions half like we did @ Curzon!
    A lot of the opposition in this league just love seeing the ball in the air for the majority of the match!
    % football!!!
    They play to get set pieces against you so they can beat you in the air in your own penalty box by corners, free kicks & long throws!
    Unfortunately it works very well @ getting you points in this league so you need to be able to combat it!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:11 pm

Chips. They did smash us last season 3-0 at their place. And it was just deja vu from the opening day of last season (0-0, which we dominated).

I thought in the first half, we were fantastic but just had no end product and in the second half, we weren't as good. I think after about 60 minutes we should have bought Clayton off for Thewlis to give the attack a different dimension and took Nyoni off for Kerry as Nyoni got caught on the ball a little bit too often for my liking, causing problems.

But saying all this, I am happy we got a point, because Tamworth are a good team, who will be up there this season.

On addition to the above comments, I thought the standard of refereeing was disgraceful and the linesman on the Wetherby Road side was absolutely shocking. I'm sure they were on the Tamworth payroll.
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:24 pm

trevdee wrote:I am not sure about dropping Clayton as he brings others into the fold....I appreciate the bit where strikers are there to score but i think we need someone who will win arial battles up at the top and take the pressure off the defence and midfield...On that basis i would opt to keep him in

There is nothing stopping a half time change though!

Sorry Trev i like my number 9 to score goals, you cannot rely on Knowles to score every game
    Chips97

Post by Chips97 Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:14 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:Chips. They did smash us last season 3-0 at their place. And it was just deja vu from the opening day of last season (0-0, which we dominated).

yeah but they we're shite at the start of last season haha. bounce

Post by Guest Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:43 pm

Good point against a good side.

The whole target man debate has been around for years vs. ability to score goals.

Works ok from an way from home perspective but just think he looked very ploddy (and has faded in every game i have seen him play) on Saturday and not particularly impactful at the other home games from a goal scoring intent which is not what you need when you need to push teams at home.

Yes the knock downs etc are great when you have your back against the wall but increasingly see him late into the box when the wingers are crossing and to be honest does he shoot? ever? Need more bite certainly at home than he is offering the team.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:21 pm

Don’t remember us ever having a big striker with pace who can score goals regularly!
    We’ve had big lads who get & make a few goals without the pace!
    We’ve even had a few big lads who had a bit of pace but couldn’t score regularly!
    Big strikers with pace & who score regularly don’t sign for clubs like ours!
    Most of our leading scorer’s over the years have been of medium build or midget gems!!!!!!!
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:27 pm

Those you defined Lundy play in the football league.....I think Clayts does look a wee bit tired, especially after half time so a change could be made there....If I am been honest I wouldn't be disappointed if Thewlis did start because he is an absolute cracking player so either way it is win win for me!
    boselecta

Post by boselecta Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Some very interesting comments.Yet to see McGurk play,but looking at some fans comments on the forum he sounds to be a very good player. Shiels and Ellis combo look strong at the moment .Pitted there wits against some real big mobile forwards this campaign and so far.. have looked very good together.

Clayton v Thewlis.. Clayts.. OK his goal tally is poor yet its his all round play real battering ram CF who must be a real nightmare to mark.Arms legs knee elbow head feet etc etc..Unleash him 60 mins then bring on Thewlis(off CB shoulder player,Great feet,pace,movement, shot, vision) last 30 simples.. Wink Wink
    Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:28 am

Thewlis is quality .... perhaps Clayton will come into his own when the pitches soften (does he has some September heel?) ... any news on the likely return of Andy G and Ryan F?
    Top Cat

Post by Top Cat Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:48 am

Unless clayton is up against a pair of centre backs who he can't win headers against I think we have to stick with him, if it's not broke don't fix it, he's does the dirty donkey work and attracts defenders to him and creates space for others, look at sat there defenders soon realised they couldn't beat him so resorted to kicking lumps out of him 1st half, if it wasn't for terrible decisions from the officials we should of had 5/6 free kicks in real dangerous areas. If it's not working make a change after 60 mins and give Jordan a decent amount of time to get into the game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:46 am