Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+5
GARAGE
Big Lundy
paulstreet
nztownfan
A1 drifter
9 posters

Pre Season Games 2015

TheNeil29

Pre Season Games 2015 - Page 2 Empty Re: Pre Season Games 2015

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:56 pm

I must admit, I'm nowhere near as enthusiastic as last season. A manager who states that he is aiming for a 10th placed finish doesn't exactly scream ambition and neither do the pre-season signings so far. I also get the impression that the remainder of the pre-season signings wont exactly be anything to get excited about.

I don't blame Irving for reducing the budget, after the debacle of the big money signings last season and his son's lack of ability to motivate them and get the best out of them, which led to over 40 players coming through the revolving doors that is HTFC.

For me, next season will just consist of a mixed bag of league results with the usual injury excuses, a few early cup exits and a season of mid-table football, resulting in a 10th placed league position. The only away fixture I'm looking forward to is the one that results in a weekend in Blackpool.

Only when we get an impartial chairman and a more experienced manager will we see real improvement and ambition, on the pitch.

TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:57 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:I must admit, I'm nowhere near as enthusiastic as last season. A manager who states that he is aiming for a 10th placed finish doesn't exactly scream ambition and neither do the pre-season signings so far. I also get the impression that the remainder of the pre-season signings wont exactly be anything to get excited about.

I don't blame Irving for reducing the budget, after the debacle of the big money signings last season and his son's lack of ability to motivate them and get the best out of them, which led to over 40 players coming through the revolving doors that is HTFC.

For me, next season will just consist of a mixed bag of league results with the usual injury excuses, a few early cup exits and a season of mid-table football, resulting in a 10th placed league position. The only away fixture I'm looking forward to is the one that results in a weekend in Blackpool.

Its all nice having the facilities, but promotion is earned on the pitch, not off it.

Only when we get an impartial chairman and a more experienced manager will we see real improvement and ambition, on the pitch.

ultimate warrior
    ultimate warrior

Post by ultimate warrior Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:46 pm

GARAGE wrote:
    paulstreet wrote:You can't resist the feeling that last season's massive disappointment has drained a lot of the enthusiasm out of the club and all associated with it. Feels a bit like going through the motions at the moment. Irving has (understandably) reduced the budget it would seem, Simon is talking about aiming for a 10th placed finish (that's really going to get the crowds pouring through the gates!), the whole mood seems incredibly flat.

OK so it all went Pete Tong in the end, but remember the excitement of last close season: the signings, the new terrace, the top notch friendlies being announced, at least there was a buzz in the air. This year...nothing.  Still time I suppose for a couple of signings to really get us loyal fans excited (we have short memories!), but I'm not holding my breath.  Anybody else have the same feeling?

I can sense your getting excited Paul -you will be talking about going to an away game next season soon

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:17 pm

Yes, Blackpool. Away to AFC Fylde. That is about the only part of next season, so far that I am looking forward to.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:13 am

Well, you are kind of right garage, I do admit to being somewhat bi-polar in my attitudes towards the club. A bit gloomy at the moment (especially now that Chib, one of my favourites, won't be coming back...see yesterday's Advertiser), but come early August I'm sure I'll be getting hyper again, and if we win our first three games I'll need to be tied down! Can't help it, but I'd rather be like that than a permanent cynic.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:50 pm

I'm quite mixed when it comes to my feelings towards this season. I do feel that the reason Simon has said a 10th place finish this season, is so he doesn't set himself up for a fall (last season, anyone). I believe this is also aligned alongside his ability as a manager as there are better and more experienced managers in the division, and he obviously isn't confident enough about achieving a place in the playoffs, or automatic promotion. What that will do for attendances, ticket sales, player morale etc remains to be seen.

Looking at the current squad we have so far, even if he bought in 3/4 players and added them to the current squad, I think the playoffs will be a big ask. But on the flip side, I don't think we will be fighting relegation.

I think my view towards the new season, will really depend on the quality of the other pre-season signings that are added to the current squad.
    nztownfan
    nztownfan

Post by nztownfan Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:26 pm

BPA, FCUM (New Stadium), Fylde & Stockport are the stand out away games for me. Other ones depend on the dates.

Its sad but im not looking forward to the season at all, its not going to be enjoyable at all when we are aiming for mid-table at best.
    RTC

Post by RTC Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:39 pm

Paulstreet - What was said about Chib and why he won't be coming back, we don't get the advertiser here and I can't find it online, presume he's staying at BPA
    CCOB

Post by CCOB Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:16 am

From the Advertiser:

'Meanwhile, Weaver confirmed talks to bring former hero Chib Chilaka back to the CNG Stadium had broken down. Weaver was thought to be keen to bring the 2012 FA Cup hero back to the club, but he has instead opted to stay at Bradford Park Avenue'.
    ultimate warrior
    ultimate warrior

Post by ultimate warrior Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:25 am

CCOB wrote:From the Advertiser:

'Meanwhile, Weaver confirmed talks to bring former hero Chib Chilaka back to the CNG Stadium had broken down. Weaver was thought to be keen to bring the 2012 FA Cup hero back to the club, but he has instead opted to stay at Bradford Park Avenue'.

Wise guy
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:08 am

Agreed, he has seen the light and realised that he wouldn't improve himself any further under Simon Weaver.

Looks like Simon will be depending on Youngsters and career twilight ex-pro players for this season.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:15 pm