Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+11
JackHTFC
j2021
jimbob1
PELE10
paulstreet
Dan_Gleebitz
ChrisM
daztyke
Harry Gate
TheNeil29
BB
15 posters

Which players would we keep?

BB

Which players would we keep? Empty Which players would we keep?

Post by BB Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Leaving aside the full time possibility, because I’m not sure how we could keep any of the existing players on a full time wage whilst maintaining the ‘current’ budget (although I dare say it has increased since that statement was made), who do we think have earned their money?

The points to consider are:

1. The players which have played as well as they can most, or indeed all, of the time.

2. Those who have played well occasionally, or played to their best but been found wanting, and

3. Those who, although they are potentially ‘match winners’, just haven’t performed as required.

My suggestions…

Category 1. - Cook, Picton, Elam, Nowakowski, Meechan, Burns, Youhill, Bolland, White

Category 2. - Allan, Brough, Bloomer, Radcliffe, Pell

Category 3. - Brayson, Turl, Chilaka (much as I like him), Beesley ( I know he hasn’t been given much of a chance).

I know we’ll disagree about who fits in which category, I could easily change a few around myself.

Another point, if we have lots of players in category 1 (played well most, or all, of the time), why are we at the bottom of the table? I know we’ll blame Simon for his tactics, but surely the players have to take some responsibility. It’s not Simon who misses an easy goal, a crucial tackle, or forgets to mark someone.

I know I’m cynical, but I reckon there’ll be a few wry smiles amongst the players if we do go down. As I’ve said before, they’re presumably not expecting to be here anyway, and it’s not going to make much difference to their getting another club if they are part of a team which gets relegated, or just survives.
    TheNeil29

Which players would we keep? Empty Re: Which players would we keep?

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Interesting comment, but I do disagree with Category 3. Brayson is our top scorer this season, and Chib has not been back at the club that long.

Category 1: Picton, Elam, Nowakowski, Radcliffe, Youhill, Brayson, Chilaka

Category 2: Cook, Brough, Bloomer, Pell, Allan, Meechan

Category 3: Turl, Beesley

I will think about the other players and come back to this one......
    Harry Gate

Post by Harry Gate Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Category 1. Radcliffe, Allan, Cook, White, Youhill
    Category 2. Brayson, Elam, Pell, Brough, Meechan, Bloomer
    Category 3. Picton, Turl, Chilaka, Nowakowski,
    daztyke

Post by daztyke Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:30 pm

Which category would you put Heckingbottom 1,2 or 3?
    Youhill is our best player in my opinion.
    White is very passionate but has too much of a go at other players.If he can calm down a touch he is worth keeping.
    Radcliffe always gives 100%
    Midfield looks very light and doesnt control the game. (1st half v Blyth the midfield were non existent).
    Chib is our only effective front man.
    ChrisM
    ChrisM

Post by ChrisM Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:15 pm

Adam Nowakowski - He has been out all season, but works hard for the team, can play in many positions, and is passionate for the club. 1: Keep

Alan White - A great leader, big, strong, but not the most Mobile. We look better when he plays 1: Keep

Alex Meechan - Seems to be a useful player, but doesn't really cut it in front of goal. Pacey and direct. 2: Maybe

Andrew Burns [loan] - Looks ok, had a few poor games, but is very young. 2: Maybe

Ashley Palmer [loan] - Was in a very poor defence in his 1 game. Not too fair to judge but didn't have the best game. Young, has time on his side.

Chib Chilaka - Where do you start, potentially explosive, often disappointing. Does link play well, but doesn't get on the end of much 2: Maybe

Craig Radcliffe - Solid. Has pace, gets forward, works hard, sometimes tries to do too much. 1: Keep

Jake Picton - Passionate, still young, committed. Poor recently, and doesn't look comfortable at right back 2: Maybe

Jonny Allan - Showed he can finish at this level, but we've not seen much this year. 2: Maybe

Lee Elam - One of our best passers of the ball, can cross, but is getting on a bit. Hit and miss this season. 2: Maybe

Luke Dean [loan] - From what I've seen he is confident, can pass, but is a bit lightweight. Needs a midfield partner who-ll get stuck in. 2: Maybe

Mark Cook - Poor last game, but mostly very good over the season. Very solid for this level. 1: Keep

Matt Bloomer - Consistent, nothing good or bad to say really. 2 : Maybe

Michael Brough - Can't say I've seen much of him. So a 2: Maybe

Paul Beesley - Passenger for me, not up to much. 3: Get Rid

Paul Bolland - Hard working, creative, passes well, retains possession. 1: Keep

Paul Brayson - Scores. Lazy, expensive, frustrating, doesn't seem to care. Will be off. 3 Gets rid himself

Paul Heckingbottom - Is he injured? Not seen him for a while. Was good on his day. 2 : Maybe

Richard Pell - A beast in the air! I like him, but he needs a mobile partner (Same problem with White) 1, Keep

Rob Youhill - Looks good, direct, pacey, but seems to tire himself out with his runs! 1 : Keep

Tom Platt - York will want him back no question.

Will Turl - Sorry Will, but you're not tearing anyone apart any time soon. 3: Get rid

Main issues for me this season:

- Goals, strikers have been poor, each one of them.
    - Midfield - off balance. No left side, same problem Blyth, Craig was up and down, Meech, Adam, and whoever else popped up there. No one in the middle puts a tackle in, don't take ownership of the game, too easily bypassed.
    - Mobility at center back. Only Picton has any pace!

All the youngsters will stay, not sure about Stimpson.
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:51 am

Apart from Harry Gate putting Nowalowski in group 3, there are arguments for and against all of the postings/opinions. However,I think ChrisM comes closest to my thinking. However, like my opinion, it's full of if's, but's and maybe's.

HOWEVER, the biggest problem I have is in understanding how some of the "group 2/3" players in particular would fare under better management. As an example look at Chib. He's patchy at best, capable of scoring some and causing a lot of havoc to opposition defences and also totally anonymous in some matches. Is this his normal character, or could it be managed out of him?

I've lost count of how many players we've signed over the seasons under Simon, but as has been pointed out previously, we seem to get rather a lot who start well and then fall away.

BB says that some of it is down to the players and he's right, but on the other hand a lot of it is down to the respect and motivation that the manager engenders.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 am

Hard to disagree with most of ChrisM's comments, very sound. A lot will depend on whether we stay up or not, whether or not we do go full time etc. Personally I would keep Cook, Radcliffe, Chilaka (although he has been a bit disappointing recently0, Bloomer (really useful squad player), White, Picton, Youhill (but he needs to be more consistent), Platt (if York will let us!), Stimpson (he is apparently highly rated), maybe Brough (have not seen enough of him), Burns shows real promise, as does Dean, Bolland, I like Elam but maybe he is getting on too much. Thats already more than XI!. Brayson will go, don't really rate Allan, Turl (enough said), Beesley, out of his depth I'm afraid. I reckon Pell will go, I kind of like him, but he should really be more dominant (and score a few more goals!). Wonder if Chris Elliot will stay as 2nd choice keeper?
    Harry Gate

Post by Harry Gate Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:02 am

Apart from Harry Gate putting Nowalowski in group 3, there are arguments for and against all of the postings/opinions. However,I think ChrisM comes closest to my thinking. However, like my opinion, it's full of if's, but's and maybe's.

The reason I put him in group 3 is because he hasnt featured at all this season (al be it through injury). I've watched him in the last 2 games at home and he has been poor. Missed a sitter against Worcester city, which would have been an equaliser and a potential draw, and was our worst player against Blyth. Especially in the 1st half. So in my oppinion he doesn't fit into group 1 or 2. If there was a fourth group for long term injurys then he would be classed alongside stimpson in that group.
    ChrisM
    ChrisM

Post by ChrisM Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:42 pm

Turls gone.
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:28 am

Harry Gate wrote:Apart from Harry Gate putting Nowalowski in group 3, there are arguments for and against all of the postings/opinions. However,I think ChrisM comes closest to my thinking. However, like my opinion, it's full of if's, but's and maybe's.

The reason I put him in group 3 is because he hasnt featured at all this season (al be it through injury). I've watched him in the last 2 games at home and he has been poor. Missed a sitter against Worcester city, which would have been an equaliser and a potential draw, and was our worst player against Blyth. Especially in the 1st half. So in my oppinion he doesn't fit into group 1 or 2. If there was a fourth group for long term injurys then he would be classed alongside stimpson in that group.
    Understand your reasoning, I think he's "ring rusty" following his injury so I have him in group 2 at the moment. Earlier I'd have put him in 1.

Not surprised Turl has gone. Looked totally out of his depth to me. But then it was a bit of a gamble taking a guy from (what is it?) 4 steps below us and expecting him to perform more or less immediately.
    PELE10

Post by PELE10 Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:03 pm

Youhill came from 4 steps below us, and he appears to have done OK. Although, apparently he has been playing non-stop for over 12 months, due to the USA season starting in February and ending in November. He then came back to England and started playing for Taddy Albion in Nov. So no wonder he looks knackered on occasions!
    jimbob1

Post by jimbob1 Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:12 pm

I have been following the thread with interest, and I feel inclined to rebut the several negative comments regarding Beesley. As @BB comments in the intial post on this thread, I believe Beesley has not been given enough of a chance to prove himself. As a club we should take the opportunity to fully explore the capabilities of the players that we have on our books this will enable us to make educated judgements when it comes to players selection for next year.
    j2021

Post by j2021 Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Adam Nowakowski - Very strong physical presence in midfield, we always seem to play better when hes in there, KEEP

Alan White - Been quite impressed with him since his arrival, seems a solid defender, but needs pace around him to help. Getting old, maybe got 1 more decent season in him. MAYBE

Alex Meechan - Has got good quality on the ball but a bit light weight and getting older now. MAYBE

Andrew Burns [loan] - Has done well since his arrival, struggled to block a few crosses when faced with Wayne Phillips but did ok. MAYBE

Ashley Palmer [loan] - Not too sure about this lad, looks ok but nothing special. MAYBE

Chib Chilaka - Gotta keep him in my opinion , has the potential to be a match winner on his day but other games unfortunately can go missing... KEEP

Craig Radcliffe - One of the most reliable players we've got, can't recall ever having a bad game. KEEP

Jake Picton - Quite like this lad as a defender, i think hes the perfect person to play alongside either Pell or White, but keeps getting pushed to RB where he doesnt look comfortable.. KEEP

Jonny Allan - Looks like our best striker when hes fit, pity he keeps getting injured/suspended!! Still thinks he's worth keeping though. KEEP

Lee Elam - Always think we look a better team with Lee playing, gets balls into the box, has been severely under used this season, can be a match winner! although getting old, could probably get one more season out of him KEEP

Luke Dean [loan] - Been impressed with him, has a bit of pace about him which we lack in midfield, drives forward well and has good potential. KEEP

Mark Cook - Top keeper, looked a bit tentative in the last game, but has the ability to make important saves when needed. KEEP

Matt Bloomer - Comes in handy as he can play in many different positions, gives nothing less than 100% everytime he plays! KEEP

Michael Brough - Looked ok when he played a few games, gets stuck in well, quite a solid midfielder. KEEP

Paul Beesley - Don't think he's ready for Blue Square North level, which isn't great seeing as he's 27 already, is a proven goalscorer at lower level though. Possibly loan him out to a team in 1 league below and if he performs bring him back in. LOAN HIM OUT

Paul Bolland - Hard working, creative, passes well, retains possession. KEEP

Paul Brayson - Proven goalscorer, seems to be losing it now though as he is getting older, if he does well the last few games maybe hes worth another year, very unsure though, seems uninterested at times. MAYBE

Paul Heckingbottom - Getting old now, did well early in season, but this could be his last year, i would say we have a better player in Radcliffe at left back. GET RID

Richard Pell - Love watching Pelly play, never misses a header, one of the best defenders at non-league level, needs pace beside him though! KEEP

Rob Youhill - Really like him, brings width to an otherwise narrow minded team, looks like he could do with a rest though, will be great when back to full fitness! KEEP

Tom Platt - Very impressive on his debut, had real drive from midfield, not afraid to shoot and got stuck in well. Doubt we can keep him though. KEEP (if possible)

Will Turl - Already Gone
    JackHTFC
    JackHTFC

Post by JackHTFC Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Keep: Cook, Pell, Picton, Radcliffe, Chilaka, Allan, Elam, Brough, Youhill

Maybe: White, Meechan, Bloomer, Beesley,

Get Rid: Heckingbottom, Brayson.

Haven't included loan players.
    robbo1

Which players would we keep? Empty Players to keep

Post by robbo1 Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:13 pm

I have read the threads with interest.

I would agree with Jimbob1, I dont think that Beesley has been given a proper chance yet but in the games that Beesley has played town are unbeaten which is important in our relegation fight.

Smelemon
    Smelemon

Post by Smelemon Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Seagulls lead 1-0 even though we've been pressing much more. Come on town, we can at least get a draw from this!
    Smelemon
    Smelemon

Post by Smelemon Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:45 pm

According to the Colwyn forum we keep pressing, hopefully we can get a goal in, we've had over several corners and we're taking some shots, something has to go in eventually! Come on town
    Smelemon
    Smelemon

Post by Smelemon Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:50 pm

HT Colwyn 1-0 Harrogate , come on weaver, need to some words of magic Rolling Eyes
    Smelemon
    Smelemon

Post by Smelemon Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Histon are winning 1-0 to Eastwood, as it stands right now we're in the relegation zone. Come on town!
    Smelemon
    Smelemon

Post by Smelemon Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:13 pm

Pell misses another header at our 9nth corner of the game! Come on town we can do better than this!
    Smelemon
    Smelemon

Post by Smelemon Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:17 pm

Another corner missed, our tenth! The colwyn forum says the seagulls are starting to look nervy, so hopefully we can get back in this!
    Smelemon
    Smelemon

Post by Smelemon Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:22 pm

GOAL FOR HARROGATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Smelemon
    Smelemon

Post by Smelemon Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:23 pm

Meechan equalises!
    Smelemon
    Smelemon

Post by Smelemon Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:25 pm

30 minutes remain ,c'mon town, for the win!
    Smelemon
    Smelemon

Post by Smelemon Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:37 pm

15 minutes left, still 1-1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:27 pm