Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+6
paulstreet
Dan_Gleebitz
j2021
stalyvegas
JackHTFC
Big Lundy
10 posters

Jim Harvey?

Smelemon
    Smelemon

Jim Harvey? - Page 2 Empty Re: Jim Harvey?

Post by Smelemon Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:16 pm

The only thing I think will be an interesting difference next season is Weavers decision to go full time, he can hardly manage the club as it is Shocked oh well, we'll wait and see, maybe our luck will turn round Rolling Eyes
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:10 am

TheNeil29 wrote:They are turning the club into an absolute shambles
    Actually I disagree with you there. Certainly the on-field antics are very questionable, however the plans they are putting forward seem (to me anyway) to be reasonable in terms of what can be achieved at the Wetherby Road site. And one good thing is that we are spared the ***** from the previous incumbents about a new ground "soon". I will watch progress on turning the ground into something the Town (not just the club) can be proud of with interest. The ground under

TheNeil29 wrote:and the value is going down with the Weavers in charge.
    Not sure how you value a club, but I'll have a go.

Generally I would think, a lot of value is in the players, however in the case of most non-league teams this is small and players are on yearly contracts so I reckon this isn't counted. The value will be in the ground. Which is interesting as we don't own our ground per se. We lease it - and therefore the improvements we make are really of most benefit to the person who holds the lease. If the lease is a long one (anyone know about our's) then the benefit to us would be greater. But the only real benefit of a short lease if if we "expect" to be able to take over the freehold at some stage.

TheNeil29 wrote:As mentioned in my previous posts, it will be season after season of mediocrity and relegations with the Weavers in charge.
    Unfortunately I kind of agree with you there. But I think we have to accept that in the short term.

The ground we've got isn't up to BSP standards and as the standards are getting tighter every year, it never will be as I see it. Therefore promotion to the BSP is out of the question all the while we're at Wetherby Road IMHO. So what's to be done? A new ground is the answer, but where? I think that Statler and Waldorf thought that the council would roll over and grant them permission to build anywhere. However they got a shock as Harrogate isn't yet a football town as has been pointed out before. Therefore in my opinion,the only thing to do is to get so many bums on seats (am I allowed to say that?) that the council can't ignore us any more. Which I believe is Irvine's strategy (it'd certainly be mine and I've oft quoted it). And the first way of doing this is to make Wetherby Road a pleasant place to come to. Previously it has (again in my opinion) been a byword for an unpleasant day out - those of us who went "regularly" must have been saints.

Ask yourself which "good" manager would want to come to manage us knowing that no matter how good we were, we were never going up? I don't particularly rate Simon as a manager, however I think we/he can do enough each season to stay above relegation which is all we need.

Once the fan base is built up then the council will have no option but to find us a new ground and I guess Irvine Weaver's Company will build it and own it (and why not?).

If all That I've conjectured does come to pass then there will be a few choices to make. Either by that time, Simon will have learned his craft and be ready to take us up the divisions or we'll need a new Manager to move us onward.

That'll be the interesting point.

My guess is that once we have a shiny new ground, Irvine will sell us on to someone who wants to take us upward and can do it. He'll have made money from his investment and we'll have something to look forward to. Doesn't seem so bad really. It's just this bit in between that's the problem.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:06 pm

Good stuff Dan. Agree with all of it really. Trouble is though that even if/when Irving improves the ground, makes it a more pleasant environment, people still won't come if the team keep losing. I keep hoping that Simon will 'turn the corner' as a manager, and every time we manage to win one I hope for the best, but then its back to 'business as usual'. We have to avoid relegation, should manage it this season although it might be close.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 9:53 am