Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

4 posters

Corby Town match Postponed

Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

Corby Town match Postponed Empty Corby Town match Postponed

Post by Big Red Machine Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:02 pm

The game has been called off by the match referee due to the conditions getting worse and snow starting to fall.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Corby Town match Postponed Empty Re: Corby Town match Postponed

Post by paulstreet Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:40 am

Feel sorry for any Corby fans who believed the local ref and started driving up! To be quite honest I'd have virtually bet my house on the game not happening, especially as almost every non-league game in the north (and elsewhere) was off. Having said that the lure of seeing Chib again had got me starting to don my Scott of the Antarctic gear when I checked 'ceefax' at 1.00 p.m.Can't say I was TOO upset, as we had about 6 hours of heavy snow in north Leeds.
    Now the quesion is do I brave public transport etc. to go and see Town (and Chib!) at Droylsden next week. Off to consult the Corby website, see how annoyed they are Shocked
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:10 am

I can't work out what the "local" ref was thinking of. I don't live too far from the ground and my back garden was pretty ropey on Saturday morning...and I knew it was going to snow that afternoon too, because I look at the weather forecasts.

I didn't even bother to look at the club site or messageboard until about five as I knew the match would be off. I was surprised that any ref would have said it was ok to go ahead.

I feel very sorry for the Corby team and fans who did make the trip.
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:21 am

Quite agree Dan, amazing decision. The game was not called off until the Corby team coach had arrived at the ground! I suspect not many Corby fans tried to get up here: had more common sense!

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:I can't work out what the "local" ref was thinking of. I don't live too far from the ground and my back garden was pretty ropey on Saturday morning...and I knew it was going to snow that afternoon too, because I look at the weather forecasts.

I didn't even bother to look at the club site or messageboard until about five as I knew the match would be off. I was surprised that any ref would have said it was ok to go ahead.

I feel very sorry for the Corby team and fans who did make the trip.

And I can't think what the club was thinking of! This was a local referee who at the time of the pitch inspection, deemed the pitch fit to play on. The club should have demonstrated enough common sense to see that all other clubs in the league had postponed their games as well as taking into account safety concerns, particularly, forcing Corby to make the trip to Harrogate and back. For all the experts the club employs, it's a great shame Town don't employ someone who understands weather forecasts. Railway called their game off at 9.30am - it's not rocket science.
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Unfortunately the club don’t have a say in whether the match is called off!
    It is down to the officials pure & simple!
    The club will have the match official’s expenses to pay & possibly Corby’s expenses as well!
    Our own player’s expenses will be on top of that!
    That’s why the decisions are taken away from the clubs!
    You can only follow the RULE BOOK!

Post by Guest Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Big Lundy wrote:Unfortunately the club don’t have a say in whether the match is called off!
    It is down to the officials pure & simple!
    The club will have the match official’s expenses to pay & possibly Corby’s expenses as well!
    Our own player’s expenses will be on top of that!
    That’s why the decisions are taken away from the clubs!
    You can only follow the RULE BOOK!

Nonsence! The local referee made it clear that at the time of the pitch inspection that the pitch was fit to play on. His assessment at that time was correct. And i think we've been here before - albeit under different management.
    Dan_Gleebitz
    Dan_Gleebitz

Location : Harrogate, near the beefburgers (but not the chips)

Post by Dan_Gleebitz Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:05 am

I'm pretty sure that the club CAN'T decide whether to postpone a match or not. They can apply to the League and give a recommendation but the decision isn't ANY Club's to make. I'm guessing that they had their doubts and asked for an inspection.

And in this case, an "Official" of the league (in this case a local referee) made the initial decision. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, the decision had to be made (IMHO) at least by 10.00 to enable Corby to travel. The announcement came on the official site at 12.46, after the pitch had been declared ok at 9.21 - a gap of 3 hours, which is about the time it takes to get from Corby to Wetherby Road (provided you don't have a stop Very Happy )

An interesting point from Big L. It isn't the club's fault about the change of decision so why should they have to pay? Surely the League were at fault? After all it was their "Officials" who made the decisions.
    Big Red Machine
    Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Sorry just to clarify a little Dan, The post about the match being off was written at 12:46 but it wasn't put on line until 13:19, the match referee didn't arrive until just before 13:00!

We had two releases ready to go, either match on or match off dependent on the match referees verdict!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 9:42 pm