Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+2
Maverick
sulphurite
6 posters

Darlo game, thoughts anyone?

sulphurite
    sulphurite

Darlo game, thoughts anyone? Empty Darlo game, thoughts anyone?

Post by sulphurite Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:19 am

Good result for me, but still no first 11 on show.

With a number of new names on the team sheet I thought a google was called for: Will Turl?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And that's all I could find...Mmmm

Maverick

Darlo game, thoughts anyone? Empty Darlo Game....

Post by Maverick Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:15 pm

First Eleven , no second 11 there!!! slack goal for Darlo, where was all there support??? crap crowd to boot (243),typical Sat afternoon at Wetherby Road,, on that performance we are going to struggle all season...... Embarassed affraid
    sulphurite
    sulphurite

Darlo game, thoughts anyone? Empty Re: Darlo game, thoughts anyone?

Post by sulphurite Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:19 pm

Thought there were 400+ there to be honest?
    paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:13 am

Thought we played OK, certainly better than Wednesday. Defence was excellent, really committed. Don't know how long we will be able to hold on to Picton, he is real class! Thought Bloomer did well, I would start him at right back on Saturday. Adam did well at centre half: a challenge to Pell? Despite all their attacks Cook did not have many direct saves to make. Mid field looked better, and Turl certainly took some of the pressure off Brayson.

Simon obviously realises that we need presence up front, but I guess most of the quality, big, strong strikers will have found clubs by now. Thought Turl did OK, bit concerning that he is coming from NE Counties level. Radcliffe excellent: a wing back that we badly need.

Saturday will give us some idea where we are at this level: it looks as though the defence will be OK, midfield should be competitive, but I still worry about goals from open play.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:34 am

Thought we played okay. Turl got beat too many times in the air, and Brayson didnt have much of an impact. The midfield and defence certainly impressed, and did not look out of place against a Full Time outfit.

I think we need to look at the striker situation, as I dont think any of our strikers on the books are cut out for this level. We need a proper, proven Non-League/League 2 Striker, even if it means a loan move for the season.
    riverside

Post by riverside Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:19 pm

Paul Brayson has scored 51 Conference North goals in the last 2 seasons at Blyth. Isn't that a proven Non League Goalscorer?

Do you mean they need a Target Man or another Striker to play along side Brayson? Pity Armstrong went the other way as they might have been the partnership that is needed.
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:21 pm

Paul Brayson has lost the pace that made him a feared marksman at Blyth over the past 2 seasons. He may still have the mental sharpness, but I don't think he will do much this season for us. He will not have the same impact as Armstrong did.

I do also believe they need a good target man to support Brayson, but Turl is not the answer and Jonny Allen and Hardy are not target men.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:29 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:Paul Brayson has lost the pace that made him a feared marksman at Blyth over the past 2 seasons. He may still have the mental sharpness, but I don't think he will do much this season for us. He will not have the same impact as Armstrong did.

I do also believe they need a good target man to support Brayson, but Turl is not the answer and Jonny Allen and Hardy are not target men.

I don't think we should get carried away with making sure we sign a target man. Some of the best performing clubs at this level manage fine without one. Indeed some of the best football Town played under Aspin invovled Danny Holland playing upfront on his own, the difference then been that we had natural wingers provding quality delivery into the box.

What's more important is that you get the best out of the players you have. Brayson wants the ball to feet, so the players around him should make sure they achieve that. Hardy may offer more height, but because of his pace, his game is more suited to chasing balls over the top. They both provide enough variation in their game to score plenty of goals without the need for a target man.

If we're desperately seeking a winning goal then fine, stick Pell upfront and utilise him in much the same way that Hume once was.

The lack of goals in pre-season is not simply due to the lack of a target man. The system the team operates and the instructions that the players are given before the game are far more important.

Guy
    TheNeil29

Post by TheNeil29 Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:17 pm

Guy,

Fair comment, but by all means. But in my opinion, if we dont sign a target man for Brayson to feed off, then the strikers will struggle for goals this season. The midfielders will end up having to take the burden.

Weaver is past the revolving door stage now, I just hope the strikers step up and perform.
    Scode
    Scode

Post by Scode Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:31 pm

TheNeil29 wrote:Paul Brayson has lost the pace that made him a feared marksman at Blyth over the past 2 seasons. He may still have the mental sharpness, but I don't think he will do much this season for us.

Brayson never had any pace whilst with us, always relied on having the ball played to his feet and being able to open up some space with his foot work. A very clever striker, not a fast or energetic one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:55 am