Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

+7
paulstreet
BrianArmstrong
OllieRiley
Big Lundy
harrogatephil
rangerider
trevdee
11 posters

Saturdays game

Saturdays game Empty Saturdays game

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:33 pm

Had a chat with a police officer i know he mentioned that there could be some trouble anyone else heard this?
    trevdee
    trevdee

Saturdays game Empty Re: Saturdays game

Post by trevdee Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:00 pm

I doubt it Gareth, probably the police officer trying to hype some excitement for him of herself. They didn't cause any trouble last season, and we beat them at home. They will be like us mutleys on bank hol Monday travelling away, sinking a few beers, getting a bit leery and probably just having banter.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:03 pm

The police officer you refer to is clearly a very wise individual. Yes, I would not be surprised if there was trouble given their reputation. I remember in the mid 90s a Barrow player getting sent off, smashing the changing room window resulting in him breaking his hand. Probably in hindsight not the brightest thing to do.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:31 pm

I think Barrow will be bringing 150/200 fans. Whilst most will be decent, I am sure they will have a couple of numpties. Will be suprised if there was trouble but atleast police are prepared if there is. Was it not Barrow who we had problems with a few years ago?
    rangerider
    rangerider

Post by rangerider Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:21 pm

from the Barrow forum  Crying or Very sad  affraid 

Re: Harrogate Town v Barrow AFC Predictions

by Alan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:21 pm
    OUR first three games have seen illegal pyrotechnic devices detonated and reported fighting with the crowd marshalls. WHATEVER we may hope, expecting this behaviour to continue is most certainly not nonsense.
    harrogatephil

Post by harrogatephil Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:31 pm

heard from a mate who is a boston fan that they were causing trouble there last week, setting off a load of smoke bombs, harassing the stewards and then to top it off a few were kicking off in the clubhouse after the game...saw losers i guess...

possibly this is why there is alot concern from the police, wouldnt be surprised if them idiots are at it again

Post by Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:17 pm

trevdee wrote:I doubt it Gareth, probably the police officer trying to hype some excitement for him of herself. They didn't cause any trouble last season, and we beat them at home. They will be like us mutleys on bank hol Monday travelling away, sinking a few beers, getting a bit leery and probably just having banter.

I very very much doubt that regularly attends games with his son bloody nice guy

Didn't a few of there fans cause trouble last year???
    trevdee
    trevdee

Post by trevdee Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:43 pm

How Kerry never for MOM is beyond me, he was immense in the second half scrapping for everything...But only when he was playing in his natural position!!! I can see why Mansfield didn't offer that new lad who played number 4 (can't even be assed to look back to get his name), he was garbage.

2 defensive mistakes cost us a win, Heath for the first and probably Heath for the 2nd. Dunno why we try and move out to play offside after the ball has been kicked.

Fair result, nice to see us out battle a team full of bruisers, especially the 2nd half where I thought we edged it (we could have easily been 3 down in the first 20 mins).

I think Simon should take note of how Barrow were set up. When he talks about playing direct, I thought Barrow did that well in the first half and they mixed up the long ball with quick breaks, flooding players forward. Reminded me of how Guiseley have set up for the last few seasons..........If we could mirror that and mix it rather than play every ball long (referring to the 1st half) then we should have some joy.

playing 3 5 2 in the second half set us up better, we had more balance and I thought both full backs did extremely well............Lets hope we start how we finished on Monday.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:30 pm

You saw a different Barrow to me one touch and boom to 6ft plus 15stone plus center forward which for the first half terrorised our back 4 Health seemed unmatch fit never seen him bullied like in a Town shirt. Griffith looked a bit lost/unfit. Margetts got bullied for 45mins
    Second half wow loads better Margetts dropped 10 yards deeper allowed Wally and Swain to play central and Margetts to receive the ball facing goal rather then failing as a target man. Kerry yes just yes the boy is class
    That formation suits the players we have rather then 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 We gain width and in my view could hurt teams more.
    Refreshing to see Simon alter his tactics and get it right after 45mins of been 3rd best
    Big Lundy

Post by Big Lundy Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

10 min 40 sec in!

Last edited by Big Lundy on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:01 pm

trevdee wrote:I doubt it Gareth, probably the police officer trying to hype some excitement for him of herself. They didn't cause any trouble last season, and we beat them at home. They will be like us mutleys on bank hol Monday travelling away, sinking a few beers, getting a bit leery and probably just having banter.

Trevdee trouble, police presence and arrests...... I did tell you
    OllieRiley
    OllieRiley

Post by OllieRiley Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:08 pm

I believe highly in this Harrogate team, but for now I'm going to keep my expectations to a low. 1 win in 12 league games now. Today was an improvement but back 4 (Or possibly 3?) need organising. Walshaw's scoring a goal a game, Kendall and Speight still to come into the side...

Post by Guest Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:19 pm

OllieRiley wrote:I believe highly in this Harrogate team, but for now I'm going to keep my expectations to a low. 1 win in 12 league games now. Today was an improvement but back 4 (Or possibly 3?) need organising. Walshaw's scoring a goal a game, Kendall and Speight still to come into the side...

and maybe give Crook a chance too? Onto a inform North Ferriby now. that'll be interesting
    BrianArmstrong

Post by BrianArmstrong Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:41 am

I was embarrassed to be a harrogate supporter yesterday. I was talking to a barrow supporter and one of our fans assaulted a young lad from barrow.
    Excellent away following from barrow putting plenty of money behind our bar.
    As for the game I thought it was quite even after barrow dominated the first half. The big lad up front for them was very good I think he was called cook.
    Hopefully we can take the momentum we built up in second half to ferriby on Monday and get our first 3 points.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:17 am

Brian - it was not a Harrogate fan but a Leeds fan who was looking to start trouble.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:09 am

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Post by paulstreet Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:37 am

Certainly an entertaining game yesterday, and a draw a fair result. I thought they were excellent first half, quick movement and passing. You wonder if the signing of Griffith (like Larkin) was a bit of a panic move. We have a squad now of about 25 I think! Really thought we'd win it when Walshaw scored (great celebration by the way!), shocking defending for their equaliser.

Anyway, thank God for Hyde, at least we ain't bottom of the league!

Ferriby top of the league amd yet to concede a goal: golden opportunity for Walshaw!

Thanks to getting a lift tomorrow I'll be at the match...can't wait, we need that first win.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:57 pm

From what I gather the intell was Barrow fans was coming with weapons, and in the 1919 on Saturday the atmosphere was very tense, keeping my kid and myself away from it in the end, well away from it, the noise the Barrow support made was to be celebrated in support, slightly disgusted by the tone of it towards the end of the match, but certainely, they sang us out of our own ground in the end, I think the Police handled it very well to be honest, very much a needed presence ysterday, such a shame, as for the leeds fan getting involved, sad to hear.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:10 pm

CraigHurle wrote:From what I gather the intell was Barrow fans was coming with weapons, and in the 1919 on Saturday the atmosphere was very tense, keeping my kid and myself away from it in the end, well away from it, the noise the Barrow support made was to be celebrated in support, slightly disgusted by the tone of it towards the end of the match, but certainely, they sang us out of our own ground in the end, I think the Police handled it very well to be honest, very much a needed presence ysterday, such a shame, as for the leeds fan getting involved, sad to hear.

I've no idea where you got the weapons idea from and also you might want to watch you say on a open forum which can be viewed by other clubs etc etc. The information from police was on past experiences of i'm 100% a very few over excited fans no mention of weapons.

Personally i loved the noise of the Barrow fan great to see and would love to see away support like that every week. Can't comment any more on arrests heavy handed police. The comments on Barrow forum complemented the food kind speaks volumes for 99% of there fans

Post by Guest Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:25 pm

I spoke with a copper after the game who advised that they were from York. He said that the reason why they were there was because in the past three games, Barrow fans have let off flares and they wanted to stop that. Perhaps this is the 'weapons' that Craig refers to.

I thought that the Barrow fans were great. Was slightly intimidating but only because I had my 4 year old boy with me. I just hope that the incident before the game does not have repercussions when we visit Barrow later in the season.

Think it is great when a team bring a number of fans with them and create an atmosphere. Certainly the best, in terms of getting behind their team, which I have seen. Only disappointing this was been called a 'Harrogate Prick' in front of my son but to be fair, I decide to take him to football and realise that he is going to hear this type of language.

Last edited by JordanF on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:02 pm

Any idea who the so called Harrogate Town fan was who assaulted the Barrow fan was?
    cromwell

Post by cromwell Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:25 pm

The 'fan' was not from Harrogate but from leeds or york,he was with a group of about ten lads who stayed in the bar and were not bothered about the game but turned up to have a go at the Barrow fans.The cowards were too scared to come in the ground but waited till a Barrow fan(who was with his girlfriend) went to the toilet before punching him then running off.Your club and fans had nothing to do with it.As a Barrow fan I can only say your club and fans made us feel very welcomed and I will not hesitate to come back to Harrogate in the future.Your fans will be made welcomed to Holker Street when we play you and there will be no repercussions.
    oldbiltonboy

Post by oldbiltonboy Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:36 pm

Im sorry but i have been reading this subject and have to post after seeing so much waffle posted by mainly Barrow fans and some of our own supporters. I watch Harrogate town week in week out and I was present in the bar most of the match, alot of people who seem to have posted on the subject were blatantly not.

In terms of the incident/incidents. From what i could see there were three or four young lads from Harrogate minding there own business who had been in the bar early on watching the Newcastle match on sky.

Barrow fans started arriving and one particularly large group near the start of the game started swearing and giving verbals to the Harrogate lads through one of the windows as they went to the stand. (I was sat at the adjouring table and got up to have a look so could see this group antagonising them to which they did not react)

A short while into the first half one of the Barrow group walked in to the bar to go to the toilet with a young lady. The Barrow supporter turned round and shouted something abusive to the Harrogate lads. One of the Harrogate lads walked over to him and in language i cannot use told him to get on his way which resulted in the Barrow fan saying something further and then pushing the Harrogate fan, which resulted in him getting punched.

After this a commotion occured due to the Barrow fans mate hearing of what happened and arriving in the bar. Where another group of young Harrogate fans were. The Harrogate groups were by no means looking for trouble and were young lads themselves.

I am not one to condone violence. But if you are going to go round giving people abuse you are going to have to deal with the consequences if trouble then arises. This Barrow supporter must of been embarrased and has portrayed to the rest of there supporters like he was an innocent victim in this whole scenario which was very far from the case.
    gedmaloney

Post by gedmaloney Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:22 am

JordanF wrote:I spoke with a copper after the game who advised that they were from York. He said that the reason why they were there was because in the past three games, Barrow fans have let off flares and they wanted to stop that. Perhaps this is the 'weapons' that Craig refers to.

I thought that the Barrow fans were great. Was slightly intimidating but only because I had my 4 year old boy with me. I just hope that the incident before the game does not have repercussions when we visit Barrow later in the season.

Think it is great when a team bring a number of fans with them and create an atmosphere. Certainly the best, in terms of getting behind their team, which I have seen. Only disappointing this was been called a 'Harrogate Prick' in front of my son but to be fair, I decide to take him to football and realise that he is going to hear this type of language.

For what it's worth, we received a letter from Barrow FC yesterday thanking the Club for the level of hospitality that there fans had received in the 1919 venue (nb. they are also aware that the trouble that flared up was not started by a Town fan).
    Apologies to be the bearer of somewhat positive news - and yes, I would have preferred no sandwiches and 3 points affraid affraid
    Well done Hamil and Trish + 1919 team sunny sunny sunny

Post by Guest Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:22 am

gedmaloney wrote:
    JordanF wrote:I spoke with a copper after the game who advised that they were from York. He said that the reason why they were there was because in the past three games, Barrow fans have let off flares and they wanted to stop that. Perhaps this is the 'weapons' that Craig refers to.

For what it's worth, we received a letter from Barrow FC yesterday thanking the Club for the level of hospitality that there fans had received in the 1919 venue (nb. they are also aware that the trouble that flared up was not started by a Town fan).
    Apologies to be the bearer of somewhat positive news - and yes, I would have preferred no sandwiches and 3 points affraid affraid
    Well done Hamil and Trish + 1919 team sunny sunny sunny

We have the best venue in the conference north, run by the best people in the conference north, Hamil and Trish!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:36 pm