Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Harrogate Town Supporters Forum

This forum is not formally connected or associated with Harrogate Town AFC Limited

2 posters

Time running out for the manager?

paulstreet
    paulstreet

Time running out for the manager? Empty Time running out for the manager?

Post by paulstreet Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:48 am

I hope I don't get accused of being disloyal or being a 'headless chicken' but we are surely entitled, as fans who pay good money to see the team, to at least raise the question as to whether or not Simon Weaver has got what it takes to be a manager at this level. My own view is that he should stay for now (Saturday's performance wasn't as bad as the scoreline suggests), but the next two matches should be make or break for him. Solihull and Redditch, both (like us, alas) relegation candidates, and, in my view, at least 4 points from those two games is a minimum.
    Its the old problem: do you stick with a struggling manager until its too late, or do you make a change to give the new man a decent amount of time to turn things around. We are surely approaching that point with our manager. As it happens I suspect that Mr Fotherby will stick with Simon Weaver come what may this season: it would, after all, reflect badly on his choice of Mr Weaver if he had to let him go so soon.
    As others have said, this is potentially not a bad team: Coleman, to my mind was wasted as left back on Saturday: Chapman should have played and Coleman played as winger in place of Harwood. Ryan is improving and Benjamin when he gets fitter will be a real danger: I agree that we have had two appalling ref decisions the last two games, that might have changed things around.
    So Saturday and next Saturday are vital: my own feeling is that Simon may not be quite up to the job, but he deseves a few more games to prove me wrong.
    TheNeil29

Time running out for the manager? Empty Re: Time running out for the manager?

Post by TheNeil29 Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:09 am

What you must remember is that although we do pay good money to see the team play, Weaver is new to the management game, and the Chairman obviously seen something in him to employ him.

The Chairman has stated that the main aim for this season is to avoid relegation. And I do believe that we will avoid relegation, as for the achievements of the last 3 seasons, relegation would be a disaster to the club, staff, players and fans alike. And if as unlikely as it sounds, if we do get relegated, Weaver will have to go.

But on the flip side of the coin Simon Weaver will make mistakes, and sometimes fans will question his decisions, as it has been well documented on this forum, but he is bound to make mistakes, we all make them, and I believe that we should give him until at least Xmas to turn it around. He is trying to stamp his authority on the team and the style of play he wants at Harrogate, but he cant do it from the pitch. He needs to do it from the sideline.

I do have faith in Weaver to turn it around, and the next 2 games will be crucial, and im sure the majority of the fans are of the opinion 4 points is the minimum required from these fixtures. And I do believe we will achieve that.

In my opinion, the squad we have is good enough to go to the playoffs, but he just needs to stop playing himself, and start putting the players in their natural positions. Then the team will improve tenfold. Until he does this, it will be a season of struggle, but in the meantime, sacking the manager is not going to solve the problems that exist. He needs this season to stamp his authority and playing style on the team, and then make a concentrated push next season for the playoffs.

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:27 am